Drybar Reviews | Glassdoor

2.6
Drybar CEO John Heffner
John Heffner

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Flexible schedule, easy to call out (in 19 reviews)

• Fun fast paced environment, good for experience and exposure, you can move on up if interested (in 14 reviews)

Cons
  • back to back with clients is no problem (in 16 reviews)

• Sometimes well most times no breaks (in 27 reviews)

1. "Support Center"

I have been working at Drybar full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Amazing brand, strong commitment to company core values, strong leadership, rapid growth, great learning potential!

Cons

Nothing, I love working for Drybar

Advice to Management

Thanks for all you do!

2. "Hair Stylist"

Current Employee - Hair Stylist in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Hair Stylist in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Drybar part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

50% off products. Free Blowouts. Got to meet some great people. Some clients are great to meet and you can get tipped pretty good whenever you have relaxed clients.

Cons

Management can be a whole lot better
    Some clients are very high maintenance probably the worst I've seen in a salon, barbershop, etc
    30% of Drybar's clients who leave unhappy don't make a huge fuss over their hair not being done right, but the 70% that don't like it go far and beyond to insult some of us and won't stop with the insults and none of my managers have had any type of sense to even speak up for us in the sense to gain the customers trust for all of us for them to be okay to come back and see us. There's too much favoritism and I'm very tired of not taking my lunches, I have high anxiety issues, I usually put it aside so I can take people back to back and I aimed for this career so being back to back with clients is no problem. But I deserve a lunch, whenever I tell a manager or coworker that's been there for years and says "well welcome to my life" no, if I was working in a self owned salon then it's common to not take breaks. Drybar has an HR line, and they are very well known of labor laws, two women who worked at my location stopped coming because of management, one manager gave a very unnecessary right up. I know being a manager is tough and a big responsibility. I hate to say I don't love Drybar entirely because they've made it hard to love Drybar, even our bartenders are at their wits end with this place because it's all unfair. I know outside my managers are great people, but for the most part, I know favoritism when I see it, and I know improper management when I am dealing with it. It's really odd to know that I can't get my hair washed when it's slow when I'm on clock, and the person washing me must be clocked out too, but then managers can get their blowouts on the clock and do brush sets.

Advice to Management

Speak up for your employees, don't make customers make foul judgment and unnecessary insults to us, reassure them that we all do the best we can and we ALL GROW TOGETHER & LEARN. Don't pick favorites and don't put yourself and your hair needs first or any of your needs first then your employees, this is why you don't have much staffing.

"Terrible place to work. You cannot live off of $11 an hour and crappy $8 tips living in NY."

Former Employee - Salon Manager in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Salon Manager in New York, NY

I worked at Drybar full-time

Pros

You become close with coworkers. Flexible schedule. Could be a decent part time job. May be a good job if you're fresh out of beauty school

Cons

No breaks. Terrible pay. Awful management. Sweat shop. No structure. Products are crappy. No real support from the district managers. They keep on opening shops next to one another and expect you to hit your goals even on a dead Monday night

Advice to Management

We know a blowout is only $45 dollars but pay your employees more more. They work hard and deserve to be treated like humans. Not like they work at a sweat shop

4. "Terrible"

Current Employee - Hair Stylist in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Hair Stylist in New York, NY

I have been working at Drybar part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Easy dress code
    Good when you just get out of school
    Great co workers

Cons

They know about bartenders stealing money and tell us it's our lost.
    But when they lose out on money they take it out of our pay checks with out letting us know.
    And what worse then the pay
    The MANAGEMENT ugh
    What can I say besides they are rude do not care about the workers
    There are very few people who are in leadership roles who are really nice and if they are nice the company doesn't want to promote them unless they kiss their butt
    Worse company I've every worked for

Advice to Management

Do better with pay and who you promote
    Slow down with opening so many shops when you can't even take care of your stylist at the other shops

5. "Horrible place to work"

Current Employee - Stylist in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Stylist in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Drybar full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Discount on products, free blowouts after your shift. Easy transfer to another shop.

Cons

How can anyone live off minimum wage in Southern California? This place is like a slave yard. Back to back blowouts, hardly any breaks, literally back to back. Shifts have been cut short. We were able to work 7-8 hour shifts to even make a decent paycheck. Hours have now been cut to 4-5 hours and they still make us take a 30 minute lunch break. I assume this is because they don't want us to qualify for insurance. The women on the west side are cheap when it comes to tips. They expect you to grab them coffee, untangle and manage their ratty extensions all the while management expects you to be finished with them in 30 minutes. Ali Webb is so rude, never shows her employees appreciation unless you're her favorite MANAGER or favorite bff. How this company has managed to stay afloat and keep their doors open baffles me. We were sued last year and all employees got a cut. I will be quitting here soon. They change stylist and managers like monthly. They cannot retain anyone. The only people that stay working here for a long time are the ones that are bff's of the company or those who think this is the best job they can get.

Advice to Management

Appreciate the hardest working people in your company. The stylist. We're on the front lines slaving over these clients so you can live the life of luxury. We see your social media, you only care about your bff's and favorite employees. Yet the rest of the company is simply forgotten.

6. "Pay doesn't equal labor"

Former Employee - Hair Stylist in Roslyn, NY
    Former Employee - Hair Stylist in Roslyn, NY

I worked at Drybar part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Nice customers
    Easy dress code
    Good if you enjoy doing tons of blowouts everyday
    I have nothing else nice to say..

Cons

Low pay
    Rude management
    Long hours with no breaks
    No benefits
    No paid time off
    Impossible to get time off

Advice to Management

Pay more attention to the people who do the hard work rather than the shop managers. Pay stylists what they deserve. Stylists shouldn't have such a hard time taking off.

7. "Lack of professionalism"

Former Employee - Stylist in Pasadena, CA
    Former Employee - Stylist in Pasadena, CA

I worked at Drybar part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Met some great clients and built relationships. Liked the set schedule and was way to give shifts away if needed.

Cons

Lack of communication with management, poor management, company is growing so fast they forget about their employees, never and employee recognition, poor pay, tips aren't consistent. Defiant not a job you can live off of and a place when I wouldn't want to live up because they work you like a dog for low pay. Force you to take breaks knowing that you won't be there for more than 5 hours.

Advice to Management

Take care of your employees and they will in return do the same.

8. "The benefits you really need to know..."

I have been working at Drybar full-time

Pros

Start at 10% commission on all products sold, 401k plan options, full healthcare coverage, free blowouts, and 50% off all products and tools! The company is growing fast so this is a great place to build your career!

Cons

With growth comes a few road blocks, but no major cons!

"Stylist"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pasadena, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pasadena, CA

I have been working at Drybar part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great coworkers, 50% off products, easy dress code.

Cons

NO BREAKS!!!! I know drybar has been sued for this already but judging by these reviews it seems to still be happening. They work you like a slave here and never back you up if a client is rude. The front staff picks favorites and if they don't like you, you better believe they will give you the thickest, curliest, hardest clients back to back without thinking twice. Not to mention there have been many times where the front has said "sorry honey she didn't tip you" because they would straight up steal your cash tips!!! Myself and three other girls caught someone doing this and there were no repercussions! Also, the products they use are super perfume scented and working in those conditions all day with poor ventilation is terrible.
    This place sucks. Honestly don't work here, you're worth more.

"Poor investment of people"

Pros

Can be a fun atmosphere

Cons

Lack of respect for time (employees & customers alike)
    Lack of integrity from upper management
    Unreasonable expectations

Advice to Management

Invest in making your employees happy to make customers happy. And listen to both customers and employees.