Drybar Reviews | Glassdoor

2.8
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Drybar CEO John Heffner
John Heffner

Pros
  • Flexible schedule, amazing clientele, Job benefits, (in 16 reviews)

• Fun fast paced environment, good for experience and exposure, you can move on up if interested (in 13 reviews)

Cons
  • Back to back blowouts with barely any breaks (in 13 reviews)

• No breaks, you have to be in top of them to receive one (in 17 reviews)

"Dry bar"

Pros

Love it fun job cool people

Cons

Bad pay bad hours bad management

"review title"

Former Employee - Hair Stylist in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Hair Stylist in Dallas, TX

I worked at Drybar part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great place to get started in the beauty industry and become comfortable with styling. scheduling is fairly flexible. Coworkers are nice.

Cons

Ergonomics are an area of concern. The work stations are more trendy than functional/ergonomic. Break areas are often cramped and very uncomfortable. Very difficult to recharge mentally and physically.

3. "People are nice but bad "training" no classes for further education. Over staffed and no hours. Defiantly not full time."

Former Employee - Stylist in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Stylist in Chicago, IL

I worked at Drybar full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Flexible. There honestly is no other pro. Besides the people I work with being nice. Ugh. There's a 20 word minimum.

Cons

Bad tools. Blow dryer is heavy and feels like I'm using a toy. Brushes are terrible and you get no tension. They over staff for Saturday's and than send you home or call you off during the week when it's slow. Definitely can't get full time hours no matter how hard you try.

5. "Drybar "Bartender" Issues"

Former Employee - Bartender in Manhasset, NY
    Former Employee - Bartender in Manhasset, NY

I worked at Drybar part-time (More than a year)

Pros

The perks of free blowouts was amazing, and our products were great. Clientele is usually nice.

Cons

There is no room to move up, and too often the front of shop receptionists "bartenders" as they call them, are giving managerial tasks. The stylists do no like us telling them what to do, and I don't blame them.

Advice to Management

Take the pressure off of your bartenders, and be the leaders to make sure your stylists are working efficiently and effectively. In store incentives for bonuses and free products/services would go a long way. Snacks for the break room. Simple things to make the small space we share feel peaceful, not awkward.

6. "Bittersweet"

Current Employee - Hair Stylist in Santa Monica, CA
    Current Employee - Hair Stylist in Santa Monica, CA

I have been working at Drybar full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great dress code, easy way to build personal clientele, pretty cool fun peers & an easy place to get a job.

Cons

No lunch brakes are given because their more fixated on stacking the appointment books. Minimum wage pay, no commission on blowouts. Pretty much feels like your working in a sweatshop on the weekends. Majority of the clientele are very high maintenance and rude. Corporate only cares about how much they're capitalizing and not the stylist who's actually making them all of their money.

Advice to Management

Check in on your stylist every so often and see how we fell instead of working us like slaves.

7. "Its ok"

Pros

Flexible schedule, easy to call out

Cons

Poor/lazy management, incompetent leadership. just dumb

Advice to Management

"Always be growing" and learning and training

8. "Hard work at times with low financial benefits. Company getting worse with time."

Current Employee - Hair Stylist in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Hair Stylist in New York, NY

I have been working at Drybar part-time (More than a year)

Pros

-The other stylists are the only reason I still work for this company at this point. We really are like a family.

-Sometimes you'll meet clients with connections for other business opportunities

-ability to pick up shifts to make more money

Cons

-You never work all the hours you're scheduled to work. Majority of the time you are told to come in later, only to work for 2-3 hours then sent home when you're no longer needed.

-When you are sick, you are still expected to come into work. I had a contagious stomach virus and was told I still had to come into work because there was no one to cover my shift. I came in for 1 CLIENT after an hour commute and told I could go home after because it was slow. Needless to say several other stylists got the same sickness from me when it could have been avoided.

-They expect you to be a stylist, a servant, and a maid (THEY EVEN TRY TO GET YOU TO CLEAN WITH TOOTHBRUSHES AND Q-TIPS) under minimum wage.(They use your tips to say they pay you the full minimum wage).

-When it is busy, you are never given a break. Managers harass you while you're doing your clients to go faster because they have extra books open and leave us overbooked.

-No commission on the actual blowout itself. So unless the client buys a product or tips(Which they often don't do one or the other) You make nothing from that time you spent working on the client (Besides the low hourly pay). The commission on braids, updos, and other services are low as well for the amount of work you put into it.

- You are still required to find coverage when you ask for vacation time months in advance(they can even deny your vacation time if you don't).

-The busiest times are in the holiday season so the job leaves you financially unstable most of the year. The only way to make a decent living is picking up extra shifts at other busier locations and working pretty much 6-7 days a week or doubles.

Advice to Management

You need to value your stylists more. Without the hairstylists themselves THERE IS NO DRYBAR. The same way it is for other salons. How can you expect us to give our all when we are given so very little? You don't give us breaks on busy days yet there's "no more room in the budget" to provide us with even snacks anymore. You expect a lot and give next to nothing in return.

The new stylists need way more training then they are given. Now that you've taken away shop educators, the job of teaching new stylists are left to stylists who have been working for the company for a while.

9. "Stylist"

I have been working at Drybar part-time

Pros

Sick time
    Half off products

Cons

Breaks when they feel like it.
    Cuts hours when shop is slow.
    Frequent call outs.
    Unfair and bias
    Cleaning with tooth brushes

Advice to Management

If you want a well run shop. Treat your stylist like you need them all the time and not when it benefits you or clients. Shops can't run without stylist. Stylist are not a revolving door and shouldn't be treated as such

10. "Good for experience"

Current Employee - Hair Stylist
    Current Employee - Hair Stylist

Pros

Cons

Not many cons, its a straight forward , maybe sometimes no times for break but they are working on that

Advice to Management

Make time for lunch

"great company,young management"

Former Employee - Stylist in Grapevine, TX
    Former Employee - Stylist in Grapevine, TX

I worked at Drybar part-time (More than a year)

Pros

super fun upbeat environment
    great tips and commission
    potential to grow

Cons

the management at location i worked at was very young and often worked more on things with her favorite people
    we had a shop educatior who couldn't even do all the styles offered in the lookbook

Advice to Management

hire people that know how to separate friendship from work, and can perform all the services we offer with out getting help from another stylist