East Harlem Tutorial Program Reviews | Glassdoor

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Great Experience..."

Current Employee - Middle School Math Teacher in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Middle School Math Teacher in New York, NY

I have been working at East Harlem Tutorial Program full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Many opportunities for growth as this is a growing organization that is adding new leadership and teaching roles each year.
    -Many opportunities after school and on Saturdays to earn extra money and work with scholars. Most of the experiences are quite enjoyable even though you are putting in extra time.
    - Great Staff Culture and team morale.
    -Awesome Principal!
    - The school focuses and academics and teaching "The Whole Child"
    -They truly believe in and push their core values that hopefully have scholars growing up to be leaders in the school community and outside of school.
    - Fabulous new building with the works, smart boards are new and lots of technology for use for scholars.

Cons

- The Professional Development is still a work in progress but I think they are attempting something that other schools are not in terms of racial equity and the work it takes to teach black/brown scholars.
    -The benefits package could be better especially concerning women who are pregnant and building families.

2. "An Inspiration"

Current Employee - Educator in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Educator in New York, NY

I have been working at East Harlem Tutorial Program full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I could not imagine working anywhere else. Scholars Academy is a home away from home. Teachers and staff are incredibly dedicated and genuinely love what they do despite the challenges. We offer workshops to families, monthly family events and weekly celebrations highlighting scholars and staff alike. This is one of the few educational organizations that I've worked for that stresses the importance of reflection and growth. Additionally, our entire organization have been trained by and continues to be trained by Border Crossers- an organization whose mission is to train and empower educators to dismantle patterns of racism and injustice in our schools and communities. This is incredibly tough work but empowering to say the least.

Cons

- longer hours
    - adequate space as we're expanding
    - limited parking

Advice to Management

A bit more cognizant of how job related duties are distributed.

3. "Good Mission, Not so Good Benefits"

I have been working at East Harlem Tutorial Program full-time

Pros

It has a very good mission and attempts to work towards fulfilling it.

Cons

Teachers are overworked and the hours are hard. The benefits are extremely expensive. There are no sick days that are given they are accrued per month. They also do not give regular holidays that are in the DOE schools or other charter schools.

4. "Great Experience"

Pros

Felt I was able to make a great contribution

Cons

No Cons, had a great experience and learned a lot

"Need to do better"

Pros

There are great hardworking people that work here. They have 3rd Thursday lunch where the talent team buys everyone lunch. Two weeks off during Christmas time.

Cons

The managerial staff needs to be trained. Their managers are unexperienced therefore unequipped to do their job. Senior management isn't really present, and does not associate themselves with coordinators and associates. People play favorites! If you aren't a favorite be prepared to take punches for the team all the time. People are not treated equally, instead your job title defines how people communicate and interact with you. Your wellbeing is not important. All that matters is if you can get the work done.

Advice to Management

Treat people with respect, value your employees!

"Great Mission--Unfulfilled"

Former Employee - Staff At Scholars Academy in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Staff At Scholars Academy in New York, NY

I worked at East Harlem Tutorial Program full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- I joined EHTP and then Scholars Academy because I truly believed in the mission. I think everyone there does and works hard to achieve it. (The ways the leadership goes about it, though, are not always the best.)
    - Students and families are wonderful to work with and the only reason I stayed.

Cons

- Extremely high turnover rate for staff/teachers each year, and the senior management doesn't seem to care or think it's an issue when it's brought up.
    - Not a level playing field in terms of pay. Some employees with very little experience are paid well while others with more experience are underpaid. Some pay is less than DOE standards.
    - Hours are incredibly long. When I worked there, it was a little over a 9 hour workday plus we all took work home with us on a regular basis.
    - Employees are expected to attend pointless, monthly EHTP meetings with the entire organization, which are essentially a waste of time on a Friday evening.
    - Unreasonable expectations and micromanagement. (E.g. Lesson plans are due to be turned in weeks in advance.)
    - Staff with graduate degrees are forced to do menial jobs (e.g. distributing lunch and snacks to multiple classrooms or supervising recess.)
    - The senior management does not get to know the students or get involved in their lives. Teachers and staff are held responsible and blamed for everything.
    - A work/life balance is impossible with the demands of working here.

Advice to Management

- Be more transparent.
    - Use a third party to ask staff what their needs are and how they like working there.
    - Compensate your employees what they deserve.
    - Listen to your employees' ideas and actually use some of them.
    - Stop hiring so many TFA candidates with no real experience and the majority of whom will quit in two years.
    - Most of all, the CEO needs to make changes to some of the senior leadership. (e.g. Hire leaders with more years of teaching experience. A degree from Harvard is meaningless if you know next to nothing about teaching.)

Sep 14, 2017 – Employer Representative

Thank you for sharing your detailed feedback with us. We are committed to our core value of reflection, and each time we receive a review, we take the time to read, reflect and do our best to respond... More

"Teacher"

I have been working at East Harlem Tutorial Program full-time

Pros

the pay and working with the kids. Also the after school is not bad.

Cons

there is no balance between work and life. They want you to dedicate all your time and effort to the school. If you happen to call out, they make such a fuss about it so it's like don't bother. They will let a person go if they even sneeze the wrong way. There are better schools out there so check those out before this one. They have been through 4 principals in four years so that says a lot.

Advice to Management

get better management and if the workers complain about a manager do something about it.

Sep 14, 2017 – Employer Representative

Thank you for taking the time to share a review here. We deeply care about our professional community and appreciate the feedback we receive. We know that teaching is hard work and we are proud of... More

8. "Social justice is at the forefront"

I have been working at East Harlem Tutorial Program part-time

Pros

-culturally responsive when teaching diversed students
    - freedom to lesson plan the way you envision your topics
    - feed children healthy foods
    - great staff

Cons

If you're not organized, it can become a little too much

9. "Great Vision Lack of Follow Through"

Current Employee - Teacher
    Current Employee - Teacher

Pros

Teachers have easy access to supplies if the school doesn't have something they are always willing to order it.
    Occasional snacks, happy hour, and monthly dress down day.
    Decent medical benefits.

Cons

Favoritism is very real and obvious it negatively effects staff moral.
    Pay is not entirely based on experience or certification.
    Certification and qualifications aren't necessarily important to the administration it is more important to have people that say yes and follow along.
    Manager structure is not set up in a way to truly be successful.

"Full-Time Employee Central Office"

Current Employee - Central Office Staff Member in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Central Office Staff Member in New York, NY

Pros

They provide Fridays in August off along with two weeks in December for the holidays.

Staff lunches once a month are also ok- food selection is decent but at times they do not order enough food for everyone. First come first served basis is how they operate.

The thing to highlight here are the students you get to work with who are amazing from 5 year olds in Elementary all the way to seniors in High School. The families are also extraordinary. Many depend on the programs offered.

Cons

The organization has big dreams. Too many that at times they come off as unorganized and too ambitious. One of them being becoming an anti racist non profit. There needs to be some anti racist work on leadership teams and staffing. They strive to be diverse and inclusive but they are far from that. Most of the senior leaders are white and those in positions of leadership or power (assistant director or director level) are white. What kind of example are you setting for the Latino and black students you serve in the East Harlem community? Absolutely no sense of equity.

They also need to provide senior leaders with a workshop on people relations and etiquette. Some of those senior directors in the office are extremely arrogant, unpleasant to work or deal with, disrespectful and rude. Another review on glassdoor said that they treat employees like second class citizens which is 100% accurate. If you are in a coordinator, associate or manager level role prepare yourself to be taken advantage of, under paid, unappreciated and hit with the notion of feeling as if you're disposable and replaceable.

Advice to Management

Treat ALL employees with respect and gratitude and I am sure your high turn over problem will be fixed. Provide more moments for YOU (senior leaders and directors) to celebrate staff.

Establish clear outline on growth within the company- if there is any- since at this time it is a complete mystery to all who work at the organization.

Get rid of the self assessment evaluation. Managers should assess their employees NOT employees assess themselves along with assessing their own managers.

Do not sell employees the dream of flexible work life balance when there clearly isn't any. You expect your employees to work long hours and at times evenings or weekends but you do not provide them with reasonable flex time? That is absurd and disrespectful. Senior leaders come in to the office when they please and give themselves the luxury to work from home but when a staff member at a lower level requests flex time or work from home, it becomes a big ordeal and long process for approval.

Jun 14, 2017 – Employer Representative

Thank you for your feedback. Since one of EHTP’s core values is reflection, our goal with the evaluation process is to promote reflection and ensure that staff members are invested in their growth... More