East Harlem Tutorial Program Reviews | Glassdoor

2.8
Rating Trends Rating Trends
East Harlem Tutorial Program Executive Director Jeff Ginsburg
Jeff Ginsburg

1. "Scholars Academy Review"

Current Employee - Social Work Intern in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Social Work Intern in New York, NY

I have been working at East Harlem Tutorial Program (Less than a year)

Pros

The staff is very nice and supportive. They work with you to help you through any issues that you have and to meet the needs of the children.

Cons

The teachers seemed overworked. They work long hours to be sure the needs of the children are meant.

Advice to Management

I don't know much about the management so I cannot say too much about it. It seems pretty well organized.

2. "Tense work environment"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at East Harlem Tutorial Program full-time

Pros

Staff are all super mission-oriented, hard working, and talented. Lots of opportunities to volunteer with the kids.

Cons

Little room for growth and high turnover. Management seems more reactive than proactive.

Advice to Management

Place more trust in your staff and provide real opportunities to grow.

3. "Fun place to work"

Former Employee - Tutor in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Tutor in New York, NY

I worked at East Harlem Tutorial Program part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great place to work parttime

Cons

Poor pay for too much work

Advice to Management

Pay better

5. "I learned a lot about myself and what I don't want to do."

Former Employee - Coordinator in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Coordinator in New York, NY

I worked at East Harlem Tutorial Program full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Entrepreneurial Atmosphere. I had the chance to work on some exciting projects. I also met some really supportive people while I worked there and everyone is generally intent on helping each other out. The office is close to public transportation and there are opportunities for training and growth.

Cons

Low compensation, not the right fit for me. With all of the great things going on, it's still an organization that is run very much haphazardly, and is still reactive instead of proactive. I felt the Senior Management leaders could do a better job of connecting to the community. Bias training would also greatly help the leaders of the organization.

Advice to Management

Understand people's inherent strengths and weaknesses before placement

"Great organization for the community."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at East Harlem Tutorial Program full-time

Pros

Their mission is great and they really strive to help the under-served children of the East Harlem community by providing high quality education.

Cons

It's tough to put into words because it's difficult to imagine that this can still happen in this day and age but the honest truth is that if you are not of a "certain" background or have an Ivy League education you simply will not go far in this organization. You can have great ideas and input but unless you are able to have someone of a certain class present them, they will not be considered and will never come into fruition. It's sad but true. And, although the mission is great etc. as I mentioned above - having this underlying organizational culture only hinders the great work they are attempting to put forth. The vision is there but unless they let "others" into the real decision making process, they will not reach their goals.

Advice to Management

Consider running a true analysis of how your employees feel about working there (with a third party facilitator - not someone from EHTP management). You might be surprised at what you find out.

7. "Great mission statement, lacking consistency"

I have been working at East Harlem Tutorial Program full-time

Pros

Great scholars, families, and resources. The school provides all teachers with laptops, phones, smart boards, and document camera.

Cons

High staff turn over, low scholar behavior expectations, and ambiguous behavior policy.
    Long hours and school year.

Advice to Management

Create academic consistency across the schools. Support your teachers so that they feel invested and valued in order to maintain staff. Create a clear pay scale, increase prep time, and minimize consecutive late night family engagement events.

8. "Thoughts"

Pros

Great teachers love their students

Cons

Long day and no good organization

Advice to Management

Treat your employee better

9. "Central Office Staff"

I have been working at East Harlem Tutorial Program full-time

Pros

The organization attracts an amazing mission-driven staff who are dedicated to providing academic, enrichment, and social emotional learning opportunities to the children and families of East Harlem. You really feel like your efforts are making a difference. The organization is also dedicated to professional development and supporting staff. New ideas are welcome and appreciated and senior management is very accessible and appreciative.

Cons

The dreams for our students and families are so big that there is so much to do. The workplace is very busy, but everyone helps out and the culture is very supportive and there are many celebrations of individual and team achievements.

Advice to Management

Continue the all-staff summits and encouraging exchange of ideas across the different program areas.

"Teacher"

I worked at East Harlem Tutorial Program part-time

Pros

The kids are the best part of the program.

Cons

Management were rarely supportive. Friday programs were hectic. Staff makes individuals feel like second class citizens.

"Great People, Poor Senior Management"

Pros

For the most part the people are great and the students are the main reason people stay as long as they do.

Cons

Senior management does not listen to the needs of their employees. There is little opportunity for a proper work/life balance.