Electro Rent Reviews | Glassdoor

2.9
Electro Rent Chairman and CEO Daniel Greenberg
Daniel Greenberg

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Great company culture and very caring about their employees"

Former Employee - Outside Sales Representative
    Former Employee - Outside Sales Representative

I worked at Electro Rent full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I worked for Electro Rent while they were going through a business challenge when ER and Keysight decided not to renew their sales / OEM partnership. Even in those difficult times, ER did everything to take care of their employees by finding new OEM partnerships and moving employees to other roles to focus on growing existing business. Would I return to the company? Yes. Great caring culture from my experience.

Cons

I was in outside sales and the tools we used SF.com, company cell phone, Outlook contacts, Outlook e-mails sent and rec’vd from cell and laptop simply didn’t synch well...or at all. Send an e-mail from your phone and it would not show up on your laptop and the reverse. Got frustrating.

Also, traveling was a goal of sorts. The thought being, the more one would travel, the more that person is trying to be successful. Traveling for in-person meetings is necessary but I thought I was more productive with a little less travel.

Advice to Management

If the technology tools issue has not been assessed and fixed....perhaps take a look into it.

2. "Puzzling"

Current Employee - Product in Van Nuys, CA
    Current Employee - Product in Van Nuys, CA

I have been working at Electro Rent full-time

Pros

Prior to August 2016, the company's culture was more of a family close knit environment with many seasoned leaders. More than a year later the culture has changed and presents many new challenges that are a work in progress.

Cons

New management, new focus, new culture that is still in flux.

Advice to Management

Careful not to lose too many good talents.

3. "No room for growth"

I have been working at Electro Rent full-time

Pros

Benefits, 401K, PTO/Holidays are great.

Cons

There is little room for growth.

"A Step Backward"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Van Nuys, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Van Nuys, CA

I worked at Electro Rent full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Very 8-5. You clock in, clock out and get on with the rest of your life.
    401K and Health/Dental Benefits

When i started the job didn't have much of a "Wow" factor, but it was a stable job from an industry leading company that's been around for over 50 years. Towards the of Electro Rent's independent years, there was a real refreshing feel about some of the initiatives that were happening at the company. They invested in social media, videos and other forms of marketing, there were high-quality promotional items for giveaways, and we got to go to a lot of cutting edge conferences and trade shows. However that changed with the "merger."

Cons

Total "cubicle farm"/dead end job feel.
    Arbitrary rules and policies
    New management are clueless

When Electro Rent and Microlease "merged" everything changed. It was essentially Microlease's takeover of Electro Rent, while keeping the Electro Rent name and it showed. Overnight the look and feel of the place was very "good ol boys" and "We have to win at all costs!" Some things Electro Rent was quietly known for, (Job stability, diverse work force) were erased.

The new management said cute buzzwords like "open door policy" and "townhalls," but truthfully employees were constantly left out of the loop. My manager was fired and NO ONE had the decency to tell me they were let go. Rather I got a new "manager" who showed up to say they are running the ship now.

My gosh, how can a company so close to the cutting edge of technology be so far behind. Look this company up online, all of their interesting quality marketing materials, videos, and updates just seemed to have suddenly halted this past spring. What's left is something our sales guys can't even use. How can we "WIN" if you don't give us the tools!

Advice to Management

Getting money is great, but you're treating employees like means to an end. We're people you savages!

"New ownership is slimey and sleezy"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Electro Rent full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The pros no longer exist under new Microlease management, unfortunately. Not that there were that many pros before.

Cons

No loyalty. No job security. No trust. No transparency. Run by a bunch of self-serving sales guys. Organizational chart leaves zero room for advancement - there's the highest level manager and there's ten employees underneath with no supervisor. It breeds confusion and frustration and production has gone down. Managers from Microlease are very controlling and trust no one except the few Sales folks that are also from Microlease. New management will lie right to your face and tell you you're safe and fire you the next day; saw it happen twice. HR is spineless and even though remained intact from Electro Rent, they very quickly turned on their colleagues to protect the Microlease "boys." There never was an Electro Rent culture... unless "birthday fridays" once a month with bagels counts as having some sort of culture. No female executives anymore; feels like an episode of Mad Men.

Advice to Management

If you treat employees like adults, they will make you look good when you need them the most. If you create an organizational chart that provides no growth opportunities, and no hierarchy except the big men at the top, you'll only get college grads to work for you until they find something better. You'll find that out soon enough though.

"Not a lot of future scope"

Pros

Easy going people , stress less job

Cons

very limited learning experience

Advice to Management

Improve Training programs

7. "Great Company"

Former Employee - Senior Account Executive in Katy, TX
    Former Employee - Senior Account Executive in Katy, TX

I worked at Electro Rent full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

great comp plan and products, great selection of test and measurement equip for clients. Good management team

Cons

cant think of too many cons, great company. There did seem to be too many reps in a given territory, but that was their decision not mine

Advice to Management

expanding rep territories, no focus on pc market, pc rental business is now part of Rush Rentals. Test and measurement market is taking off

"Good People; low-growth business climate"

Former Employee - Technical Sales Organization/Sales Support Engineer in Van Nuys, CA

I worked at Electro Rent (More than 5 years)

Pros

Dedicated, honest, hard-working, friendly people. Good product representation. Excellent customer service.

Cons

The overall business climate for electronic test and measurement is lackluster in terms of growth. This makes it tough to thrive in. Also, partner companies (Keysight, Tektronix, R&S) can be flighty in their channel programs, making it hard to depend on them for business pipeline.

Advice to Management

Diversify into entirely different businesses.

"Stable work environment while I was there"

Former Employee - Assistant Controller in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Assistant Controller in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Electro Rent full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Job security if you are a hard worker
    Colleagues in general have tenure spanning 10 to 30 plus years which says a lot these days.
    Inside sales and operations had hardly any turnover.

Cons

Uses a command driven legacy database, if you cannot learn the database you cannot succeed.
    It is not difficult to learn just takes patience but many give up too easily.
    A lot of oversight is given from corporate headquarters so local personnel has to wait on approvals for anything involving money whether it is hiring or buying new product.
    Raises are not great unless you get promoted.

Advice to Management

Trust your managers who have been with the company for a long time as they are competent and have the company's best interest at heart!

"Very old technology."

Former Employee - Programmer/Analyst in Van Nuys, CA
    Former Employee - Programmer/Analyst in Van Nuys, CA

I worked at Electro Rent full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

My coworkers were all great. Everyone is willing to help each other out. Most of the employees are very nice to work with.

Cons

Using technology that is 28 years old. The system that runs there company is very out dated. What is even worse they don't really even have documentation that describes how and what the system does. You actually have to read the code to find out what the system is doing. If you don't have time to document what your findings were, you may well end up doing this multiple times.

No entity diagrams of how the table structures are laid out. Your told to learn this by doing projects.

Management in the software department is not supportive to the employees at all.

Advice to Management

Treat your employees with respect.

Take the time to document the system and the backend table structures. Document how the tables are related.

Consider upgrading to a more modern system.