Employee Review

1. 1.0
    Former Employee

The Worst Place I've ever Worked!

Sep 21, 2009 - Customer Service Specialist
    Business Outlook

Pros

The pay was comparable to similar jobs, and I had the chance to work with a few really great people.

Cons

There was very little training provided, so for the first few weeks you're on your own until you figure things out for yourself. There's no positive communication, and associates are treated very poorly. People would turn in applications and managers would toss them onto the counter where the applicant's personal information would be in plain sight for anyone walking by to see. There are no standards for anything. One manager would instruct an employee to do something one way, and an hour later that same employee would be in trouble by a different manager for not doing it "properly". A manager took a picture of an obese customer and went around the store making fun and very inappropriate remarks to other managers and employees. This is not an isolated instance, and I wonder how successful Big Lots would be if customers knew how often they were being made the brunt of jokes. There were numerous safety violations while I was an employee; none of which were addressed until I filed a complaint with OSHA. I was fired because I questioned inconsistencies one too many times, was yelled at in front of customers and other employees, and told to walk out the door. It was the best day I ever had as a Big Lots employee because I knew I would never have to go back. The bottom line is the priority. It is a very dysfunctional environment, and one in which it is very hard to hold onto your self-respect.

Continue reading
    4 people found this review helpful
  1. 5.0
    Current Employee

Good

Sep 20, 2021 - Furniture Manager in Columbus, OH
    Business Outlook

Pros

Good culture with positive people

Cons

Not a lot of mobility upward

Be the first to find this review helpful
  2. 5.0
    Former Employee, less than 1 year

Awesome

Oct 25, 2021 - Cashier in Pensacola, FL
    Business Outlook

Pros

Easy money nice people good hours

Cons

Rude customers, unfair treatment by management, favoritism

Be the first to find this review helpful

Discover more reviews about Big Lots.