Big Lots Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Jun 16, 2017

1.9

1. Featured Interview

Associate Interview

Application

The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Big Lots in January 2017.

Interview

Went very well. There had been a recent transfer of management so the lady who interviewed me was hiring a lot of new people. The store has a lot of fixing to do but definitely can me improved with the right people. Interview wasn't hard at all.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

Starts at $9/hour

DTS lead Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Antonio, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Big Lots (San Antonio, TX) in June 2017.

Interview

I applied online and was contacted 2 hours after my application was submitted. I came in for an interview on a truck day so I could see the truck process and talk with the staff. The store manager asked me a few questions about my resume and asked if I would be able to handle the job and all of its stress.

Interview Questions

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Big Lots in May 2017.

Interview

Very short interview lasting only seven minutes. Management ill prepared for interview. Made to feel was an inconvenience. Was told watch for an email to be sent to continue the job hiring process

Interview Questions

• Can you be to work at 4 in the morning.   2 Answers

Dts Freight Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Kansas City, MO

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Big Lots (Kansas City, MO) in April 2017.

Interview

It was precise and done in a timely manor the interviewer was very polite and very professional. After I completed my interview I was immediately directed to a Linc to begin the next part of the hiring process.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about your retail background   1 Answer

Cashier/Sales Associate Position Interview

Anonymous Employee in Novi, MI

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Big Lots (Novi, MI) in April 2017.

Interview

Quick and easy process. Very friendly gentleman interviewed me. Asked the usual interview questions for retail positions. Told me about the company a bit, as well as that specific store and staff and position.

Store Associate/Stocker Interview

Anonymous Employee in Roanoke Rapids, NC

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 days. I interviewed at Big Lots (Roanoke Rapids, NC) in April 2017.

Interview

Interview process was very short and to the point. I would even consider it an interview. I was briefed on the job and what was expected of me. I was then offered the position.

DTS Interview

Anonymous Employee in Kansas City, MO

Application

I applied in-person. I interviewed at Big Lots (Kansas City, MO) in April 2017.

Interview

smooth and organized,The hardest part of the process was describing myself. Interview gave me a great look into my future co workers mindset,which in turn made want to join the Big lots family even more so.

Stock Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Olympia, WA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Big Lots (Olympia, WA) in February 2017.

Interview

The manager was kind of cold and frigid kind made me uncomfortable it was not a good interview there was no offer i just did not care for the manager

Interview Questions

• How did you handle multiple tasks   1 Answer

Stockroom Lead Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Big Lots in February 2017.

Interview

Store manager was very unprofessional. I have many years in retail and in my last job I was a manager for 4 years. She just kept telling me how tiring the job was. I was familiar with billion dollar industry's not 4 million dollar industry's so I new I could handle it. She than told me I should try "Kohls". I was beyond upset at this point that I wasted my time for her to council me on where to apply. She as well kept talking bad about several employees and said I would be challenged immediately hiring in where employees would test me to see if I could handle the job by doing anything possible by making it hard on me because they are all "family". What a WASTE of time. About a week later I received a email stating I did not get the position. I wouldn't have accepted in the first place after that interview!!

Store Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Lakewood, WA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Big Lots (Lakewood, WA) in February 2017.

Interview

Was strange to say the least, in my opinion anyways. Not uncomfortable at all, was interviewed by two managers. The beginning of the conversation was the two of them asking ME what I "wanted to know". I don't think that either one of the gentlemen actually ASKED me a question. I did all of the asking- so much so that I was running out of ideas of things to ask them! They just kept saying, " so, what else do you want to know?" and "any other questions you have for us?". I received confirmation right at the interview that I would be chosen to be hired and was told that I would receive an email within a day to authorize the background check and told that after that they would call me with an offer. They were very nice, very informative and seemed to genuinely like their jobs. The only down side to this so far is the fact that they have been having some sort of "technical issues" with the links they are sending out for the background checks. I've had to fill out the same online form 4 times now and still no word on if they've gotten the info I'm sending or not. So far this means no offer has been made yet because we can't seem to move past the background check link hang up. It has been a full week now since I've had the interview.

Interview Questions

• What is your availability?   1 Answer

Production Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Columbus, OH

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Big Lots (Columbus, OH) in February 2017.

Interview

Internal recruiter reached out to me and asked to connect about a couple positions they had open. I sent along my resume with a promise from recruiter to pass along to hiring manager. I followed up a week later and received a response from recruiter that manager was away and another promise of more info to come.

2 weeks go by then recruiter wants to touch base about opportunities. Quick (~10min) phone call with a promise to schedule in-person interview the next week. Crickets. I follow up after the week passes with no response to see if they are ready to proceed with in-person interviews and again receive no response from recruiter -- not even a "Thanks but we've gone another direction".

Overall lack of communication and follow up left a very bad impression on Big Lots as a company. Very disappointed.

Interview Questions

• Are you interviewing with anyone else? Previous salary   Answer Question