"Complete lack of caring for the well-being of their emplyees"

1.0

I have been working at Dogtopia for more than a year

Pros

I formed amazing relationships with the dogs, learned a great deal about dog behavior and body language, formed good relationships with coworkers initially. My dog loves getting to play in the rooms.

Cons

There is a complete disregard for the well being of the employees and dogs here. There have been a number of dogs that have attacked other dogs, and sent them to the vet, but not been dismissed. The evaluation process is a joke here. There have been several times where I, or other employees, have told the front desk and managers that a dog was too aggressive to be passed, and then been ignored, including a dog that bit 2 different people before it even got into the playroom. There are fights daily, and we are always blamed for them even when we've told them that a specific dog has behavior problems. At one point I was bit and had to go to the ER, only to find out when I returned that the dog that bit me had not only already bit another coworker, but had a known history of aggression. As if that wasn't bad enough, at one point my personal dog was attacked and I was not able to leave to take him to the vet, and they tried to convince me he was fine. I had to have my brother drive 40 minutes to come pick my dog up, only to find out that he had a deep puncture in his leg that needed staples. Even the cleaning practices are causing problems. The primary cleaning chemical we use (a bleach solution) says not safe for use around children or domestic animals on the label, and even if properly diluted, everything I've read online says that it should not be used with animals in the room and outside of a well circulated area. Due to the filthy fans, high humidity, and poor circulation in the rooms, I had an ongoing bought of bronchitis for two months that resulted in my needing of an inhaler (I have never had asthma). I brought in a doctors note saying that it was caused by prolonged exposure to bleach, and even still they refused to change the chemicals. One manager genuinely said it was because this was the cheapest option. Aside from all of the health risks here, I have never once felt valued by front desk and management. I have never received a raise, and any time I have mentioned a concern it has been completely disregarded.

Continue reading
  1. "Best place ever"

5.0
    Former Employee - Director in Athens, GA

I worked at Dogtopia full-time for more than a year

Pros

All of them are good

Cons

None of them are bad

"Listen to the reviews. Please."

2.0
    Former Employee - Associate in Manassas, VA

I worked at Dogtopia full-time for more than a year

Pros

The only things that were great about this job was the dogs and the relationships you build with their parents. I do have to say though, the training and experience I received from this place was great and I am thankful for that.

Cons

Because the cons outweigh the good, I had to give 2 stars. Please listen to all of the bad reviews, it's still true to this day, I will keep this review short. Upper management (more like the lady owner) and her puppet manager are not great people. They really really really try to act like they're very nice and caring but people like me can see right through their phony-selves, don't fall for their niceness. I had to say I was going on vacation and took some days off but really I was so beyond depressed and to the point where I literally almost took my life because this job made me feel like the crappiest most incompetent person to exist. Do they care about your mental health? In all honesty, NO. They do at first but then that quickly ends and you're back to being a nobody to them. Please, do not work here if you're looking for more animal field jobs. There are much better places.

Continue reading

Discover more reviews about Dogtopia.