Gogokid - Online ESL teacher | Glassdoor

Employee Review

"Online ESL teacher"

Current Employee - ESL Teacher
Current Employee - ESL Teacher

I have been working at Gogokid part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I enjoy working here because of the flexibility of choosing your own hours. The pay is very good. It is a new company and has had some kinks to work out. However, I'm very pleased with this company. They offer lots of incentives. The students are a joy to work with.

Cons

Just like with almost any jib, it does take some time to move up the ladder. Bookings can be slow, but be patient because they do pick up. My bookings are very steady now.

Advice to Management

More incentives for 5 star teacher ratings

Other Employee Reviews

Other Employee Reviews

"Good Job in Theory, Not in Practice"

I have been working at Gogokid part-time

Pros

High rate of pay, application process is fast, many assistance videos on YouTube for training

Cons

I didn't have a single booking for my entire first month, despite having over 20 hours a week of open time slots in peak times. Income is impossible to predict because students have to choose to take your class, you can't control whether or not they sign up for you.

"Payment issues. Not good to teachers who have issues."

Current Contractor - Anonymous Contractor
    Current Contractor - Anonymous Contractor

I have been working at Gogokid as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

-Kids are great
    -Pay is highest in ESL (however, receiving the payment is often a hassle)
    -Does direct deposit into bank or PayPal once a month
    -Platform is amazing
    -Was a company that was very supportive of teachers in the beginning (this has since changed)

Cons

-Payment is not accurate (over 40 teachers are missing payment from last month alone. Some are missing $20 while some are missing thousands)
    -If you have an issue with what a finish type was for a class (that is how pay is calculated) then you have to persistently send emails and rarely get a response. This means your pay is often wrong (meaning you aren't getting paid enough and are shorted money).
    -Pay is often wrong and there is no way to track it, other then yourself with a pen and paper. I have never received a correct payment from Gogokid. It takes multiple email exchanges to get your payment. It has taken a friend of mine MONTHS to recieve over a thousand dollars she is owed. I will be out a few hundred dollars from October because they won't pay me correctly. And have refused to do so.
    -They have a credit score system (that is how pay is calculated, the higher your score the more pay you get--cool, right??) well if your score is wrong you don't get paid as much. In my case they made an error, and my score was lowered. I sent multiple emails to them about fixing it. And it was fixed about a month later. However, I am missing payment that was not getting from them. They have refused to pay me the correct amount.
    -Corporate will publically name people with payment issues and shame them on social media.
    -Payment system is done by hand, so there are often issues.
    -Teacher forums are heavily censored by mentor teachers and Gogokid employees that moderate the groups and they only allow positive posts. They are very concerned with anyone knowing about issues they are having.
    -New teaching materials have a lot of clicking for the student, and it is something they could do without having a teacher present.

Advice to Management

Please keep payment confidential between yourself and the individual. Please don't publicly name and tag people on Facebook that are being shorted money, and posting screenshots of there personal records for the public to see-this should stay confidential. This also includes not threatening teachers in emails and on Facebook if they are asking for correct payment. This is disrespectful to the individuals. Please respond to emails in a timely fashion, especially those about payment as that is very important to people. This could eliminate most of the issues with the company.

Discover more reviews about Gogokid.