IHOP - The worst job I have ever had in my entire life, no kidding! | Glassdoor

"The worst job I have ever had in my entire life, no kidding!"

Former Employee - Food Server in Woodbridge, VA

I worked at IHOP part-time for more than a year

Pros

?!? It's a job?!? -If you are a server, the food comes out at a decent pace from the kitchen.

Cons

-You have to work every single holiday, including Xmas and Thanksgiving. -They force you to sign up for a $4 meal plan. Basically, they take $4 out of your paycheck for each day that you work. You can select an item that is under $10, but then they tell you which items you can and can not get. -Let's say you don't finish the food that you bought on your $4 a day plan, ....well you're not allowed to take it home for later. -When on break, you are not even allowed to go outside the store. So let's say you want to get something from your car, ...well you're not allowed to do that. The break area is two chairs at a tiny table behind the kitchen right next to a door that is used for deliveries. -It takes forever to get checked out or to turn in money. I remember one day the manager had checked my sidework and had approved of it, but it literally took another 40 minutes for the same manager to take the money I owed to the store so that I could leave. -Managers definitely have favorites. Some employees don't do there sidework or roll their silverwear, but yet they are overly critical on other employees. -Let's say you have to take a prescription medication daily. Ihop expects you to divulge to them what you are taking and the reason why. My medical history is private and none of their business. -If you have to call out for any reason what so ever, they want a doctor's note stating the reason why, which again I think is illegal?!? Doctor's note ok, but they want the reason?!? I think that is illegal in that they are trying to force me to provide info into my medical history. -I have seen other employees no call/no show, but if you are one of their favorites, they will not even so much as give those employees a warning. -Once you are cut from the floor, you have to do front and back of the house as well as roll silverwear. Most other restaurants I have worked at, once you are cut, you are out within 30-45 mins. Here, it is more like an hour & a half to two hours. -Some of the managers can be quite rude to the customers and they expect employees to be that way as well. For example, let's say a customer got two bacon when they were supposed to get two sausage. They expect you to go fetch the two pieces of bacon off the customers plate so that they can replace it with the sausage. If we were talking about a steak or something that is similarly expensive, ok, but all of this over two pieces of bacon?!? -Let's say a customer says they don't like something and you tell the mangers or cooks, it turns into a interrogation and its hard to get a replacement item or to get the cook to recook it. -Customers will ask for modifications to their orders. The cook and mangers get an attitude with the wait staff over this when all the waiter is trying to do is make sure the customer gets what they want and pay for. -The computer system is quite confusing. -I have definitely at times felt like I have been discriminated against based off my nationality by the managers. I am not the only person to complain of this. -I have actually been told to clock out and finish my work anyway by one of the managers. -Again, back to the favoritism thing, I have seen some employees be late for work every single day by 10-15 minutes and the managers never said one thing to them. I was late once by 2 mins. and I got scolded by one of the managers for this. -I prefer direct deposit, but I understand not everyone wants to get direct deposit. At Ihop, if you don't sign up for direct deposit, then they will not hire you. -You have to buy every single piece of your uniform including an apron with the words Ihop on it ($13.50) and a name tag ($1.50) with the words Ihop on it as well. I think it is quite unfair to ask employees to purchase uniforms from the store, especially if they have the words Ihop all over it. My point is, you can only use it there and nowhere else, while if it didn't have the lettering all over it, you could use it elsewhere and then I would be more comfortable paying for it. -I got yelled at to bus other people's tables, while the person who had the dirty table stands around and goofs off and does absolutely nothing. Again, Ihop definitely plays favoritism with certain employees. -I have seen people show up to work high (including mangers). I have seen people show up drunk. What did management do about this? Nothing. -If you make even one mistake, Ihop expects you to pay for that mistake out of your pocket. -Too many servers on the floor and not enough business to go around for all the servers. I understand scheduling a sufficient amount of staff, but when there is so many people at work that you can't even get from point a to point b w/o tripping over other people, then that is a problem. -In all of my years of working, I never felt so undervalued and under appreciated as a person and as an employee as I did with Ihop.

Advice to Management

Where do I even begin?!? How about treating your employees like people?

IHOP2013-11-22
  1. "Loved it"

Former Employee - Server/Waiter in Flagstaff, AZ

I worked at IHOP full-time for less than a year

Pros

Great job for beginners, people are sweet and the pace is perfect

Cons

People go here when they want cheap food, so the tips are typically pretty small

IHOP2019-10-21
  2. "Server"

Current Employee - Server in Orange Park, FL

I have been working at IHOP part-time for more than 10 years

Pros

It pays the bills. But not fun at all

Cons

No one is happy at this time

Advice to Management

Make it s happier environment

IHOP2020-01-21

Discover more reviews about IHOP.