IHOP Reviews | Glassdoor

Rating Trends Rating Trends
IHOP Chairman and CEO of DineEquity, Inc. Julia A. Stewart
Julia A. Stewart

Pros
Cons
  • Very long hours burns out workers fast (in 35 reviews)

• There was no benefits for my career opportunities (in 29 reviews)

1. "It was Okay"

Former Employee - Server/Waiter in Providence, RI
    Former Employee - Server/Waiter in Providence, RI

I worked at IHOP full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Flexible hours. Night shift. Great tips in the morning and on weekends.

Cons

Really busy. Base salary is not much. Could get dangerous at night.

Advice to Management

Listen to employers more

2. "It's a nice environment. The people are generally nice, everyone is positive, and it's a great opportunity to grow."

Current Employee - Dishwasher in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Dishwasher in Dallas, TX

I have been working at IHOP part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Ok pay
    Understanding management
    Good environment
    Great customer
    Many positions open
    Awesome if you are friendly and/or bilingual
    Happy young faces
    Great attitudes mostly
    Good pay in tips for servers
    Flexible schedule

Cons

Pre-meal tax
    Only part time postions available
    No employee discounts
    No employee bathrooms

3. "Great Company"

Current Employee - Marketing Manager in Colorado Springs, CO
    Current Employee - Marketing Manager in Colorado Springs, CO

I have been working at IHOP full-time (More than a year)

Pros

IHOP offers a lot for folks who work hard and look for opportunities for growth, The experience can vary depending on the franchisees, but overall the IHOP culture is positive, fun and rewarding.

Cons

Like any position, the quality of the experience depends on the managers and the franchise owners. But for the most part, these can be addressed on a case by case basis.

5. "Server/Hostess"

Former Employee - Server/Cashier in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Server/Cashier in Dallas, TX

I worked at IHOP (More than a year)

Pros

1 free meal
    Good Money

Cons

No cons that i can think of

Advice to Management

Great Management , need better foh staff.

6. "Plan to be a strong cook"

Current Employee - Assistant Manager Ihop in Naples, FL
    Current Employee - Assistant Manager Ihop in Naples, FL

I have been working at IHOP full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Upper management is very approachable, understanding, cooperative, and never condensending when coaching

Cons

99% of your time spent will be as a cook, with roughly 30-40% of that being the only cook. Office work to be completed between tickets a bit at a time. Extremely difficult to monitor the Front, and impossible during peaks. Oh and if you aren't cooking then you are portioning for prep in the kitchen as well, maybe 50-60% of all prep completed will come from your hands.

Advice to Management

Budget for cooks so we can be managers. Its good to help out when needed during rushes but the kitchen shouldn't be our base of operation.

7. "Take the good with the bad"

Former Employee - Host/Server in Costa Mesa, CA
    Former Employee - Host/Server in Costa Mesa, CA

I worked at IHOP part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Flexible scheduling, management is easy to talk to, large customer base that leads to some very interesting interactions, employee discount, some amazing coworkers, you REALLY have to try to get fired

Cons

Coworkers and management are very moody and some are just plain unpleasant to work around (not "with", some servers do their own thing regardless of what anyone says, even management), high turnover, often difficult to coordinate service, harassment is common, hygiene is questionable, management plays favorites, bussers prioritize running drinks and checking out women over actually bussing which leads to severe backup, some appalling missteps in the way employees are treated, don't go to work on your birthday unless you want to go home covered in chocolate syrup, pancake syrups, powdered sugar, and whipped cream

Advice to Management

Listen to the concerns of your employees more, and stick up for them the way you're supposed to. No employee should feel unsafe or harassed because of customers or other employees. Tip share with hosts. Either enforce "no call-ins/reservations" or stop telling everyone to say "no call-ins/reservations", nobody wants to be yelled at because you only allow it when you feel like it or for your favorite regulars. Be more sensitive and self-aware, and don't abuse your staff.

8. "not bad"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Toledo, OH
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Toledo, OH

I worked at IHOP part-time

Pros

free food, people are fun to work with.

Cons

managers dont care, food takes forever to cook and the kitchen staff acts like its your fault

9. "Workers and Management are fine... but corporate sucks."

Former Employee - Server in Southlake, TX
    Former Employee - Server in Southlake, TX

Pros

It is a good job to have while you look for another job. They don't care if you're late... they don't care if you steal... they don't care if you're on drugs... they don't care even if they actually fired you, just go back the next week with your sad face on and you can get your job back if you really need it.

Cons

Just about everything. I worked for 3 IHOPs and the last one had roaches falling from our 40 year old ceiling and onto our guest's plates. Did the manager care? NOPE! In fact, she tried to blame me and all the rest of the staff for the infestation that has only grown for months because of leaking pipes in the walls.

Advice to Management

If you're an Ihop manager, I would also suggest you leave because corporate really expects unrealistic things out of management... Not you're fault that their stock has been getting killed the last year or two. My advice to corporate would be to actually go get a serving job or a job in the kitchen and do that for a few months. Kill this menu... it's utterly pointless. I promise you none of your guest even order what's on the menu.... they are all drunks or old people that want everything made a certain way. There are often 10 items that are all the same thing, with only one little thing changed... like one gets pancakes instead of toast. Or one burger has two patties instead of a patty and bacon... or the burger is on bread instead of a bun so it is called something else. This makes order difficult on literally every employee and confuses customers as well. The easiest item to order... the create your own omelette can easily cost more than a T-Bone steak if you get more than 2-3 things on the omelette. Everything on the menu should be create your own... just let the guest pick out what they want. Build your own breakfast... build your own burger... build your own omelette.... Just give them options to work with... don't do everything halfway and then just change on little thing so you can call it something else. You're restaurants are mostly 24 hours, right? Then why the hell would you all make your restaurants advertise for crepes which are not on the late night menu? There are some pretty common sense things that corporate could do and also make IHOP into an even cooler late night place but the knuckleheads upstairs have REALLY thick skulls... So my advise to management would be the same thing I said up there about serving pretty much... get your experience or whatever you need... and then get something better... not hard to accomplish.

10. "It pays the bills. The hours can really suck if you're in a 24/7 restaurant. But the overtime is good"

Current Employee - Line Cook in Manhattan, KS
    Current Employee - Line Cook in Manhattan, KS

I have been working at IHOP full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Always overtime hours available. Learn new things every day. Being late is taken less seriously than at other jobs that I have had.

Cons

Can be difficult to not be worked over 40 hours. Very hard, tireless work that is not rewarding because you have to do it the next day as well. Holidays are required work days.

11. "Pros and Cons"

Current Employee - Server in Apex, NC
    Current Employee - Server in Apex, NC

I have been working at IHOP part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

As a server, you can work part time but make better than average income.

Cons

If you can't get the customers in the door then you don't make money.