KEY NOT FOUND: coverImgAlt

Current Employee, less than 1 year

TSMC Fab Equipment Engineer

Jul 6, 2021 - Equipment Engineer in Phoenix, AZ
    Business Outlook

Pros

Was able to train in Taiwan, work for one of the most important companies on the planet that no one knows about, be exposed to culture outside the US, am being given skills I can take to lot's of desirable positions in the future. There are incompatibilities between work culture, learning/teaching style and other expectations from the US to Taiwan. This is to be expected. My trainer I think has definitely met me part way, and I believe I can say I have done the same. There's still a gap, but this can be worked on.

Cons

The work culture in Taiwan is really different than in the US. I am sure TSMC will have to change to an 8 hour work day five days a week or do what other companies do with Fabs and run three days on, four days off, four days on, three days off rotations. As it is right now in Taiwan The minimum amount of time at the company is 10 hours a day, but realistically is running up to even 12 hours a day. This is for those of us who are American training to go back to the new operation in Arizona. The reality for people from Taiwan is that they are doing even more than 12 hour days often. There's also the night shifts and weekend shifts on duty and/or on call. That last part is understandable as the fab lives 24/7. The training in this experience really depends on one person who is your "trainer". My experience has lacked any structure, but had no shortage of expectations. I came up with some process to approach learning new equipment and daily tasks, but to be honest don't know that I've arrived yet. TSMC doesn't seem to enshrine a sense of individual freedom. The company provides housing for those of us training from the states, but has very much micromanaged everything we do in our living arrangement. There's a curfew with no guests allowed for example. And the long term housing adds another hand hour commute.

Continue reading
    124 people found this review helpful
  1. 5.0
    Former Employee, more than 5 years

Good

Dec 5, 2021 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

The company provides good compensation.

Cons

Working hour is too long.

Be the first to find this review helpful
  2. 4.0
    Former Employee, more than 1 year

high pressure

Jan 8, 2022 - Process Engineer
    Business Outlook

Pros

high pressure and always work overload

Cons

Only high salary and bonux

Be the first to find this review helpful

Discover more reviews about TSMC.