Cover image for TSMC

Current Employee, less than 1 year

TSMC Fab Equipment Engineer

Jul 6, 2021 - Equipment Engineer in Phoenix, AZ
    Business Outlook

Pros

Was able to train in Taiwan, work for one of the most important companies on the planet that no one knows about, be exposed to culture outside the US, am being given skills I can take to lot's of desirable positions in the future. There are incompatibilities between work culture, learning/teaching style and other expectations from the US to Taiwan. This is to be expected. My trainer I think has definitely met me part way, and I believe I can say I have done the same. There's still a gap, but this can be worked on.

Cons

The work culture in Taiwan is really different than in the US. I am sure TSMC will have to change to an 8 hour work day five days a week or do what other companies do with Fabs and run three days on, four days off, four days on, three days off rotations. As it is right now in Taiwan The minimum amount of time at the company is 10 hours a day, but realistically is running up to even 12 hours a day. This is for those of us who are American training to go back to the new operation in Arizona. The reality for people from Taiwan is that they are doing even more than 12 hour days often. There's also the night shifts and weekend shifts on duty and/or on call. That last part is understandable as the fab lives 24/7. The training in this experience really depends on one person who is your "trainer". My experience has lacked any structure, but had no shortage of expectations. I came up with some process to approach learning new equipment and daily tasks, but to be honest don't know that I've arrived yet. TSMC doesn't seem to enshrine a sense of individual freedom. The company provides housing for those of us training from the states, but has very much micromanaged everything we do in our living arrangement. There's a curfew with no guests allowed for example. And the long term housing adds another hand hour commute.

Continue reading
    168 people found this review helpful
  1. 5.0
    Current Employee, less than 1 year

great pay.

Oct 7, 2022 -  in Anthem, AZ
    Business Outlook

Pros

state of the art facility.

Cons

long working hours that are spent with little downtime

Continue reading
    1 person found this review helpful
  2. 4.0
    Former Employee, less than 1 year

Future-Forward & Loads of Opportunity

Dec 31, 2022 - HR-Operations Manager in Phoenix, AZ
    Business Outlook

Pros

This company is paving the way for the semiconductor industry. If you want to make something huge of your career, this is the place where you can do it.

Cons

The company likes to use internally developed software, which doesn't always have the best user experience.

Be the first to find this review helpful

Discover more reviews about TSMC.

TSMC Photos

+ Add Photo
TSMC photo of: Fab
TSMC photo of: Clean Room
TSMC photo of: farewell
TSMC photo of: tsmc lobby

TSMC Job Seekers Also Viewed