"Cheating for minimal pay, and for editors who lack editorial training"

1.0
    Current Freelancer - Writer in Washington, DC

I have been working at Ultius for more than a year

Pros

Very few. I think two might involve the flexible scheduling (sort of -- you have to hope a job is available when you are available), and occasional decent pay/per hour of work.

Cons

Where do I begin? 1) You are actively engaging in helping students cheat. The entire basis of this operation exists for providing work that violates every academic-dishonesty clause in every student contract/manual. 2) The editors at Ultius are abysmal. Rather than correct simple mistakes, they send them back to you -- at any hour of the day, and often several days after the draft has been submitted. Apparently, they seem to think you are just waiting by your phone or laptop for days on end just waiting for that notice. A real editor would, maybe, EDIT IT! Editors should provide easy clean-up on their own. It's also faster. Worse, they seem to lack true experience with peer-review processes, especially regarding formatting style, including APA, MLA, and CMOS. I could go on and on, but let's suffice it to say, the editors show an unfathomable lack of skill. 3) The work mostly arrives in bulk during midterms and finals Since we are helping people cheat, it makes sense that the least qualified, least motivated students are the ones looking to pay someone to do their work. You can guess how that often goes. Some students expect writers to somehow read entire monographs before doing a paper -- for no more pay than other papers, mind you. The information provided to writers arrives in the longest run-on paragraphs you'll ever see. And, it is obvious, students are not entirely clear about what they should be writing, hence the reason they are begging a professional to do it for them. It's not always terrible, but it's rarely a good experience. 4) Don't believe all of the positive reviews. Make no mistake that Ultius is likely asking its full-time office employees to provide some positive feedback.

July 18, 2017Writer Liaison

Hello and thank you for taking time out of your day to leave us feedback on the freelance writer position with Ultius, Inc. We are sorry to hear that you have had a negative experience so far. We would like to take time to address each point you mentioned in an effort to clarify the purpose of our service, the goal of interactions between writers and staff, and the social mission of our company. You had noted that you enjoy the flexibility of freelance writing. As as a freelance writer with Ultius, you have the freedom to write when you wish. Our freelance writers are not obligated to work on anything which they have not chosen and if they have no assigned work due, they can normally take breaks of days to weeks while remaining on our team. You also mentioned the pay. We pay our freelancers per page, not per hour, and we pride ourselves on the ability to offer competitive per page rates based upon the deadlines and level of work requested. With regard to our clients, we provide custom writing and editing services to clients worldwide who require the assistance of qualified American writers. Once connected on our platform, clients can engage with our writers directly and learn helpful tips on the best practices for writing as well as order samples or templates of academic writing and business writing. These samples are provided for the sole purpose of helping clients improve their own writing style and our Terms of Use agreement prohibits the utilization of our products for academic credit. We take this very seriously. We would also like to mention that Ultius is proud to offer freelance writing opportunities to qualified American writers in an effort to bring jobs to the USA, to help recent university graduates pay off student loan debt, and help shape the future knowledge economy. You can read more about our social mission on our site under Causes and Commitments. Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback. We hope that each of your concerns has been addressed. And we wish you the best of luck on your future writing!

"Meaningful work, fair pay, thoughtful staff"

5.0
    Current Contractor - Freelance Writer in Remote, OR

I have been working at Ultius for more than 3 years

Pros

well organized site no bidding repeat clients higher than average pay ($10 per page usually) they are always making upgrades to site

Cons

it took me a while to figure out how to deal with payout adjustments (bonuses or sometimes late deductions( but once I figured out the process, it was fine.

August 10, 2019Writer Success Lead

Hi! Thank you so much for providing this review. We appreciate the feedback you have shared here, both the positive and the negative. It sounds like you are happy with the platform and have enjoyed the user friendly site, straightforward order claiming process, and competitive compensation. It also sounds like you have enjoyed repeat clients. We are so pleased you have been able to seize this opportunity! We understand you would appreciate more feedback in real time and we can definitely work on getting that to you. If you need any additional assistance while you continue writing with us, please contact Writer Success. Thank you again and we wish you all the best!

2. "Money for helping cheaters pass classes"

1.0
    Current Freelancer - Freelance Writer in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Ultius for more than 3 years

Pros

It's a bad rate per hour worked, and not every assignment is equal, but you can earn some money

Cons

Horrible editors, awful platform from which to seek daily work, and that terrible guilt you have from writing college & high school students' papers for them. It's a cheating business, and you are its top agent.

May 13, 2020Writer Success Lead

Thank you for providing this review. We are sorry to read that you have an unfavorable opinion of the platform. Based upon what you have shared here, and despite your continued and active participation as a writer who utilizes the platform, you seem to have a negative outlook on some of the staff, policies, and procedures in place. Our Writer Success team will surely receive this feedback and make changes as needed. Thank you again for sharing this review.

Discover more reviews about Ultius.