Ultius - Cheating for minimal pay, and for editors who lack editorial training | Glassdoor
Pros
  • "I enjoy the flexibility of being able to work from home and chose which available orders that come in" (in 10 reviews)

• "I have been a freelance writer now for 8" (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • "Editors don't read the notes on the project and have to be reminded of what's going on (a quick summary/overview helps with that)" (in 37 reviews)

• "Barely any work available, sometimes only high school level work" (in 5 reviews)

Employee Review

Employee Review

"Cheating for minimal pay, and for editors who lack editorial training"

Current Freelancer - Writer in Washington, DC
Current Freelancer - Writer in Washington, DC

I have been working at Ultius (More than a year)

Pros

Very few. I think two might involve the flexible scheduling (sort of -- you have to hope a job is available when you are available), and occasional decent pay/per hour of work.

Cons

Where do I begin?

1) You are actively engaging in helping students cheat. The entire basis of this operation exists for providing work that violates every academic-dishonesty clause in every student contract/manual.

2) The editors at Ultius are abysmal. Rather than correct simple mistakes, they send them back to you -- at any hour of the day, and often several days after the draft has been submitted. Apparently, they seem to think you are just waiting by your phone or laptop for days on end just waiting for that notice. A real editor would, maybe, EDIT IT! Editors should provide easy clean-up on their own. It's also faster. Worse, they seem to lack true experience with peer-review processes, especially regarding formatting style, including APA, MLA, and CMOS. I could go on and on, but let's suffice it to say, the editors show an unfathomable lack of skill.

3) The work mostly arrives in bulk during midterms and finals Since we are helping people cheat, it makes sense that the least qualified, least motivated students are the ones looking to pay someone to do their work. You can guess how that often goes. Some students expect writers to somehow read entire monographs before doing a paper -- for no more pay than other papers, mind you. The information provided to writers arrives in the longest run-on paragraphs you'll ever see. And, it is obvious, students are not entirely clear about what they should be writing, hence the reason they are begging a professional to do it for them. It's not always terrible, but it's rarely a good experience.

4) Don't believe all of the positive reviews. Make no mistake that Ultius is likely asking its full-time office employees to provide some positive feedback.

Advice to Management

None. This is a chop-shop meant to get as many writers as possible ready and willing to handle three or four surges a year. As long as they can staff many writers for a dose of time, they make money. Do yourself a favor, potential writers, and find other side-jobs. This is a get-rich scheme for those running the operation, and it's all based on discrediting our country's entire academic foundation. I only write a few times a year now -- and I feel sick every time I do it -- when I feel the pinch of freelance life weighing me down. Luckily, that's getting more rare each day as writing work has picked-up again, luckily.

Jul 18, 2017 – Writer Liaison

Hello and thank you for taking time out of your day to leave us feedback on the freelance writer position with Ultius, Inc. We are sorry to hear that you have had a negative experience so far. We... More

Other Employee Reviews

Other Employee Reviews

"Cheaters: Shameful way to make 3 cents a word"

Current Contractor - Writer
    Current Contractor - Writer

I have been working at Ultius as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

What good is there to say about a company that helps people CHEAT?

Cons

This company pays writers peanuts to help lazy students cheat in school. Everyone affiliated with and/or using their services should be ashamed of themselves.

Advice to Management

Find a more meaningful, less sleazy way to earn a living. I'd rather be a barista at Starbucks than write for these fools.

Aug 1, 2017 – Writer Liaison

Hello and thank you for taking time to provide us with your feedback. Based upon your review, we would like to address a few merits. You had mentioned that your impression of our service is that it... More

"It pays well, I guess?"

Current Freelancer - Writer
    Current Freelancer - Writer

I have been working at Ultius (Less than a year)

Pros

- Really good pay for typically really easy work.
    - Set your own hours (mostly).
    - Work from home.

Cons

Like someone else said, you're an academic hitman. It's difficult to justify doing other people's homework, but that's what it is. Ultius spins it by saying that they offer 'tutoring' and 'samples' for assignments, but obviously they're just covering themselves.

It's a REALLY shady business. Everything is very controlled to avoid lawsuits - eg., someone suing because they got caught. In other words, I do NOT list this on my resume.

Editors are really negligent. You turn something in by the date you're supposed to and they're supposed to look at it; they very rarely do in a timely fashion. They lose a LOT of clients because of editor failure; editors don't respond enough.

When they do finally respond to you with edits, you're expected to answer them immediately (hence the set-your-own-hours [mostly]). They won't edit anything themselves, even if it's like a missing comma or something very small. I don't particularly understand why they're so overpaid.

Advice to Management

Editors need some kind of additional training on what they -should- edit and what they should ask the writer to do. It would also be nice to see some kind of breakdown on where the money for orders go - for a $90 dollar order, I only see $40 of it. Why?

Aug 2, 2017 – Writer Liaison

Hello! Thank you for leaving us this review. We sincerely appreciate you taking time out of your day to provide feedback. Not only do we take it seriously, but we utilize writer feedback to improve... More

Discover more reviews about Ultius.