KEY NOT FOUND: coverImgAlt

Ultius Reviews

Updated Dec 8, 2021

Found 64 of over 177 reviews

3.2
Ultius Interim CEO Dante Frizzoli (no image)
Dante Frizzoli
Pros
  • "The editors are always helpful and customer service goes above and beyond(in 17 reviews)

• "I actually see it as a learning experience, researching topics and writing in an academic setting(in 9 reviews)

• Cons
  • "Editors are sometimes difficult to work with(in 45 reviews)

• "Pay to writers is overall small compared to what the client pays for (Ultius keeps a large chunk),(in 34 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

The latest conversations about Tech

Sales Engineer

313 Comments

Join the conversation on

Ratings by Demographics

This rating reflects the overall rating of Ultius and is not affected by filters.

Want more demographic options?
    1. 5.0
      Former Employee

Freelance

Dec 8, 2021 - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

Able to work at own pace

Cons

Lots of editing and not that much pay

2. 1.0
      Former Employee, more than 1 year

Not A Good Opportunity

Jan 25, 2021 - Quality Assurance in Las Vegas, NV
      Business Outlook

Pros

There are no pros to think of.

Cons

The job is a complete insult. High school summer job pay for cognitively demanding work that you need at least some grad school experience to excel at. Weird company culture that exudes the attitude of a world class tech startup - but doesn't compensate anywhere close to the caliber it demands. Working in QA was a headache because I had to constantly clean up the mess of poorly trained/supported writers and staff. A consequence of the company having to lower its standards to find the pulses willing to work for embarrassing low compensation. The QA department has the "feel" of working at an Amazon Fulfillment Center, which is another insult, considering the intellectual nature of this position. Overall, working for Ultius was a weird experience working with a company that is out of touch with the core service it provides. I would not recommend it to anyone.

4 people found this review helpful

HR Manager

Thank you for your honesty and I’m sorry we were not able to discuss these discrepancies while you were here. We would have loved the opportunity to make your time with us more enjoyable. Between parties, weekly meetings, confidential surveys, annual evaluations, and employee chats, we try our best to make sure employees are content and able to share their honest opinions. I hope you are able to take your experience with us and find a company more suited to your desires. Everyone deserves to feel appreciated at job they enjoy.

3. 2.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

Flexible, but not livable

Jan 21, 2021 - Freelance Writer
      Business Outlook

Pros

Flexible hours, work for yourself.

Cons

There is really no going anywhere as a freelancer for this site. Ultius doesn't care about their writers, and they don't give them enough money based on how much work is required to fulfill a lot of their contracts. On top of that, they don't offer any significant promotions for their writers—you basically make money for them till you quit.

3 people found this review helpful

HR Manager

We appreciate your candid review of the freelance writer position. Flexibility is one of the many attributes freelancers seek, and we’re glad you enjoy it. We understand that some orders are more complex than others and different writers may complete similar orders on different timetables. The writer payout table is an item up for review as we gather insights and data from the team. In the meantime, writer bonuses are frequently added to orders, so be sure to check for them! We work hard to give writers the support they need through our extensive knowledge base, helpdesk, and numerous resources available 24/7 on the writer portal. We also have a ticketing system for individual assistance. When other opportunities are available, we usually reach out to our writer base first. It’s often about being in the right place at the right time. Thank you for taking the time to review our company.

4. 4.0
      Current Employee, less than 1 year

Overall a Good Experience

Sep 26, 2019 - Freelance Writer in Charlotte, NC
      Business Outlook

Pros

Quick Responses from Staff Good System Layout

Cons

Limited work You learn as you go

Writer Success Lead

Hello and thank you for this review! We are so pleased you have enjoyed writing with us. It sounds like our platform layout has been user-friendly and easy to navigate. It also sounds like you have enjoyed the support offered by Ultius staff. We understand that available work is competitive and it takes determination to succeed. We hope you continue putting in the effort and we are here if you need anything. Thank you, again. :-)

5. 2.0
      Current Employee

I enjoy the work, but not the personal interaction

Mar 15, 2015 - Academic Content Writer
      Business Outlook

Pros

The compensation is reliable and impressive. If you happen to enjoy writing about academic topics and can do so speedily, this site offers great opportunities to earn extra money. If you have physical health problems and cannot work outside of your home, this site will probably provide very helpful supplementary income.

Cons

The website continually has issues which not only are not fixed, but which management nor editors directly apologize for. Expect to receive only negative feedback from the editors. Some of the project directions are very vague, and the clients do not always respond to questions in a timely manner. My primary concern, however, is the length of time that sometimes elapses before editors respond to drafts. If I submit a draft with 22 hours to spare on an order I accepted less than ten hours prior, I expect to receive notes on further drafts within a maximum of five hours. Otherwise, I must either continuously check my dashboard, or else risk missing the item's due date!

21 people found this review helpful

Ultius Representative

Thank you for taking the time to share about your recent experience as a freelance writer with Ultius. We are happy that you found the position a lucrative opportunity to exercise your writing skill and to earn extra income in your spare time. Based upon the feedback you have provided, there are a few merits we would like to address. Reliable and Appropriate Compensation We proudly contract only degree- accredited writers who have a foundational knowledge of American English. Based upon this imperative criteria, we offer top dollar payout for their high quality content. Enjoyable Work on a Flexible Schedule Your enthusiasm for academic writing is exactly what we hope to foster in our freelance writers. We hope you have enjoyed the opportunity to continue your goal of life-long-learning through writing and all on your schedule. Feedback from Editors Based upon the information you and other writers have provided, we acknowledge this as an area for improvement. Our Editors are currently undergoing new training, specifically geared toward increased positive feedback when giving notes. Additionally, one of the most recent developments within the company is the establishment of the Writer Liaison who is fully available as a resource and direct point of contact to our writers. We hope you have had the chance to take advantage of this new feature! Thank you, again, for the informative feedback you have provided. We will use this to improve our writer ecosystem within the company. We wish you the best of luck on your future projects!

6. 4.0
      Former Employee, more than 1 year

Better Than Most

Apr 23, 2017 - Writer in Las Vegas, NV
      Business Outlook

Pros

There is a level of autonomy in place, where you can work when you want as a writer. This means that you can do 2-3 assignments monthly, or 20-30 assignments. It's up to you.

Cons

The company tries to operate like an Uber or an Airbnb, but make no mistake it is an essay mill. Most of the assignments are from college students (of all levels) who do not want to write their own work, and pay Ultius writers to do it. Not illegal, but not ethical either. The company has changed substantially in the last year or so with multiple editors, writing managers, and unneeded middlemen. This has caused more cons than pros in terms of interacting with customers. It has also allowed for more egos to exist to where people at the editing level feel superior to the writers and treat them like children.

9 people found this review helpful

Writer Liaison

Thank you for taking the time to review our Freelance Writer position. We wanted to take a moment to respond to your review and hopefully help to address some of your concerns: First, autonomy is one of the best things about working for our company. We are happy to have noticed this! Autonomy, along with drive and productivity are the pillars of logic which allow our writers to take as many or as few orders as they are capable of and we are glad that you appreciate this aspect of the role. You mentioned a concern about the ethics and we would like to pay this special attention. We make sure all of our clients know that our platform connects them with writers and that the product of our service is sample content. We do not condone plagiarism as the drafts provided to clients are designed merely as a guide of how to better prepare a their own original draft. We do cater some to students as they often require more help than others to really get the hang of writing. We hope that our service will help them to become better writers for the future. We provide services to clients who are not students to create business plans and resumes as well. We are sorry that you seem to have had a negative experience with our Editing team. All of our editors and writers go through thorough screening and training to make sure that they are prepared for the rigors of their positions and they try to better themselves every day. If you would like to discuss any scenario where you feel you were treated unfairly, please contact our HR department and we will address the matter right away. We also have a Contractor Bill of Rights which was written to ensure that every writer is aware of their rights as a member of your freelance team. . We hope that this helps to address some of your concerns. Thank you, again, very much for taking the time to post this review. We appreciate your work for our company and hope that you are successful in your ventures moving forward.

7. 4.0
      Current Employee

Ultius is an interesting place to work at.

Apr 17, 2015 - Academic Content Writer in Aurora, IL
      Business Outlook

Pros

The job is a freelance position where you take paper order and complete them in a given time. For this reason, you are free to work whenever you please, and the work load is light depending on what task you complete. You also have the given option of choosing whatever assignment you want beforehand, so if you pick something that is too overbearing, it is on you. The pay is nice as well.

Cons

Clients can be over-demanding, and they can ask for unnecessary revisions. For example; one time I uploaded a finished writing assignment. The admin wanted me to go and redo it after he/she saw some eras, so I did. After I re-uploaded it, it finally got a "completed" status. However, shortly after, this time the client wanted me to re-write the paper, and they had me do a revision. If an admin says a paper is okay, than it should be okay.

5 people found this review helpful

Ultius Representative

Thank you for taking the time to give us feedback on your experience so far as a freelance writer with Ultius. Freedom of Freelance Work and Light Work Load We are happy to offer freelance work to our writers who have the ability to work from home. The freedom that comes with this type of work is truly priceless for those with the needed skill set. Choose the Work that Suits You We are happy that you have enjoyed the autonomy of our company when it comes to choosing orders that are right for you. It is up to the discretion of each writer to select which orders they feel they can complete and how often they would like to work. We are glad this suits your professional needs. Revisions on Orders Clients are offered free revisions in certain cases where they feel their original instructions were not followed by their writer. In circumstances where you feel the client is asking for a revision which deviates from their original instructions, feel free to contact us and let us know. In cases where a client may ask for more than what they originally ordered, we want to compensate you for the extra work. We want every experience for the writer to be a positive one. Client- Writer Relationships One of the values of our company is that clients are a first priority. We expect our writers to show decorum and compassion when engaging with their clients. In certain circumstances where you feel frustrated or that you do not understand client instructions, feel free to contact the editors. They are available 24/7 to help you with any of your questions. We appreciate your feedback and hope that as you continue your work with Ultius you find the experience positive and inspiring toward your professional goals as a writer!

8. 2.0
      Former Employee, less than 1 year

Edgy, Exciting, Convenient & Super Unethical

Dec 12, 2015 - Academic Content Writer
      Business Outlook

Pros

Actually pays. I made between $1500 and $2000 over about two months, writing 30+ essays and other school work assignments. Relatively well-paying job, if you're a good writer. Working from wherever you want is great too. The overall setup is pretty smart and well run.

Cons

It's super unethical. Probably all technically legal, but you're essentially an academic hitman. I have a basic lack of respect for the academic industry and needed the money, so that's how I justified it. But it definitely started to eat away at me... I was writing papers for people in nursing programs, M.A. programs, even PhDs! When I realized they take orders from high school students, that really gave me pause... The place adopts a very professional tone to offset what it is you're doing, but at the end of the day, you're literally just helping strangers cheat. I got fired after making a snide comment to an editor that directly referenced that fact.

19 people found this review helpful

Ultius Representative

Hello and thank you for leaving us your feedback on your time spent as an Ultius writer. Based upon the information provided, there are a few merits we would like to address. Fair Pay for Fair Work We have always been proud to offer our writers top dollar for quality content. We also recently implemented an Ultius Contractor Bill of Rights. In this bill, we stipulate that the company must offer reasonable compensation for work performed by contractors. We are happy to hear that you have found the pay for this position reasonable and lucrative. Working From Home We are happy to provide our degree-accredited writers with a chance to hone their writing skills while remaining in the comfort of their home. This is just one of the many advantages to being an Ultius freelance writer and we are happy to see you have enjoyed it. Ethics At face value, we are a platform to connect customers with writers for content and editing services. But Ultius has a social mission behind what we do.We believe that true commitment and respect for national issues requires a proactive effort. That being said, eliminating student loan debt by offering work only to degree-accredited writers, bringing jobs to America by only hiring within the country, and helping shape the new economy by facilitating a way for writers to shape their own careers are commitments and causes that we not only believe in, but work hard every day towards impacting. As you continue your career as a professional writer, we hope you retain the knowledge and experience you had with Ultius and utilize it to strengthen your future prospects. Thank you again for sharing your insight with us. We wish you the best of luck on your future work!

9. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 3 years

Freelance Writer

Apr 26, 2015 - Freelance Writer in Saint Louis, MO
      Business Outlook

Pros

The pay is better than most writing services and if you do a decent amount of work, it can assist with your monthly bills, etc. The management is pleasant.

Cons

-Orders can often sit for days on your dashboard w/o being marked complete because the editors are backlogged in terms of checking them. This presents a problem if a paper is not checked before payments as you won't get it included in your payment. -There are as the saying goes "too many cooks in the kitchen," which causes issues if you encounter an editor that is being subjective rather than objective in how you've written the paper. -Clients often fail to include specific instructions and then turn around and request a rewrite if it's not done to their expectations.

6 people found this review helpful

Ultius Representative

Thank you for taking the time to let us know how you are enjoying your experience as a freelance writer with Ultius! It looks like your overall opinion is favorable, which is wonderful. Pay is Better Than Most Writing Services and Management is Pleasant We are pleased that you have enjoyed your experience thus far with Ultius. We continue to cultivate our company based on values including teamwork, decorum, and compassion. Thank you for the compliments about our pay and management. We take pride in our ability to fully support our writers and value your contribution to the team. Payment Delivery/Order Completion Our freelance writers are paid twice per month via Paypal, similarly to a net15 payment schedule. This system is in place to be sure orders are completed to client satisfaction prior to writer payment, in the event that any adjustments need to be made. Editors review and send orders based on the client deadline, which is after the writer deadline. We have made some adjustments to decrease the buffer time between the two deadlines, to reduce writer dissatisfaction. We have found that when writers complete orders well before the deadline, and we send them to clients early, the clients begin to expect orders well before their deadline. As you can imagine, this ends up causing more frustration. We are continually evaluating the deadline issues and working to create the best resolution. “Too Many Cooks in the Kitchen” We understand that you feel our Editors are too subjective when reviewing your work. Our Editing Team undergo extensive training so that they follow strict protocol when reviewing orders. If there is ever a case where an Editor offers constructive criticism, try your best not to take it personally. The Editing Team are often the final filter between a writer’s original draft and the client’s final draft. Editors must check orders for quality content and they try to make every order a learning experience for writers. We have recently created a policy to give feedback on almost every order, which will hopefully help writers with future orders. This should also show writers that we are striving to provide positive and negative feedback, instead of just negative feedback. If you are ever concerned with the interaction between yourself and an Editor, please contact the Hiring Manager so that we can help resolve the issue. If we reduce the staff on our Editing Team, orders will not be reviewed as quickly, which cause delays later on in the process. We have experienced enormous growth over the last couple of years. It is more likely that the feeling of "too many cooks in the kitchen" is actually Ultius adjusting our procedures to accommodate our quick growth. We are smoothing eberything out and moving forward stronger than ever. When Clients Fail to Include Relevant Details and Revisions Occasionally clients neglect to provide all relevant order information when placing an order and it takes extra time for the writer and client to decipher exactly what is needed to complete an order. Although this may seem like extra leg work for our writers, it is a necessary part of the writer’s job to gather all relevant information from the client in order to produce a final product. In the case where a client asks for a revision and then provides new instructions, we have strict protocol which protects the writer and their original draft as it pertains to the original order instructions. If you ever feel you are being asked to write new material which deviates from the original instructions, please contact the editors so we can help to resolve the issue. If you asked the client, and the client refused to provide the information, they will likely end up paying for the requested revision. We always want to pay our writers fairly for their work. Checking Orders More Quickly During the Fall and Spring we experience our busiest times of year and this, to a certain extent, means delays in reviewing drafts. Although we want to get to your draft the moment you turn it in, we must review orders with priority given to the client deadline. This means that although you may complete work early, we are only able to review it after the orders have been reviewed which have earlier client deadlines than your own. If you ever need immediate attention given to your order, you are able to email editing directly with your concerns. We are glad that you have enjoyed your experience thus far with Ultius! There are clearly areas that we can improve upon and we value your input on these matters.

10. 5.0
      Current Employee, less than 1 year

Excellent Place to Learn, Earn, and Serve Customers

Jan 4, 2015 - Freelance Writer in Los Angeles, CA
      Business Outlook

Pros

Ultius offers creative work that is intellectually and professionally rewarding. The company's leadership is friendly, responsive, and always looking out for employee needs or answering questions. The CEO is an outstanding example of the professionalism and courtesy exhibited by all levels of management. If you enjoy writing and have the talent and work ethic, Ultius is an excellent employer, with very few drawbacks.

Cons

Compensation is outstanding compared to other content creation firms. The initial training is adequate, and management is continually committed to improving training techniques and sharpening writer's abilities. However, more hands-on training could be useful for those who are struggling to overcome difficulties with their work. The editors do a great job of constructive criticism and correcting mistakes. During busy periods, there is always an opportunity to do more work and take home some extra money. Make no mistakes, the work is not easy, and some tasks will present intense challenges.

Ultius Representative

Hello and thank you for taking the time to leave us feedback. We are happy to hear you have truly enjoyed your experience as an Ultius freelance writer. Based upon the specific insight you have provided we would like to address a few merits. Unique Opportunity for Fulfilling and Intellectual Work At Ultius we are proud to offer stimulating writing opportunities to degree accredited, qualified writers. Part of our social mission is to bring more jobs to America, which is why we only work with American writers who have a foundational knowledge of American English. The work available through our company is highly intellectual and we expect our writers to rise to the challenges that may come up in this line of work. It is great to hear that you have enjoyed being a part of a team of like-minded, motivated freelance writers. Professional interactions and Considerate Management Professionalism and respect go a long way. We go above and beyond to ensure that everyone’s time with us is meaningful, just and a positive experience. It is a pleasure to see that you have found the interactions with Ultius staff and management to be positive and indicative of our overall company culture. Great Compensation for Challenging Work We want our writers to embody the same cultural values that we live by such as teamwork,, accountability, and autonomy. We believe in letting you do your own thing, on your own time. But with great freedom comes great responsibility. Training We are always looking for ways to improve the freelance writer experience. That includes the training our writers and staff go through before beginning their first professional interchange with clients. If you ever have specific suggestions for how our training process can be improved, please contact your Writer Liaison. We will ensure that your input is received. Thank you, once again for taking the time to share about your experience with Ultius. We wish you the best of luck on your future writing!

Viewing 1 - 10 of 64 Reviews

Ultius Reviews FAQs

42% of Ultius employees would recommend working there to a friend based on Glassdoor reviews. Employees also rated Ultius 3.4 out of 5 for work life balance, 2.7 for culture and values and 2.7 for career opportunities.

According to reviews on Glassdoor, employees commonly mention the pros of working at Ultius to be management, career development, culture and the cons to be benefits .

Popular Careers with Ultius Job Seekers