Ultius Reviews | Glassdoor

4.3
Ultius Chairman and CEO Boban Dedovic
Boban Dedovic

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • If you don't, good luck finding another writing job that will pay you this much while you work from home (in 7 reviews)

• I have been a freelance writer now for 8 (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • When I realized they take orders from high school students, that really gave me pause (in 4 reviews)

• Also, editors can be hit or miss (in 27 reviews)

1. "Amazing Company!"

I have been working at Ultius part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Flexible hours, open-door policy with management with great communication between higher-ups and all employees, family-like environment that still maintains a professional nature, challenging job that is rarely boring, we are given autonomy and don't experience any micro-management which is a huge difference from most companies. promotion from within is also a huge pro!

Cons

During the slow seasons we see fewer hours, however, once they are able to give more hours they do and are fair about distributing the hours.

"Better Than Most"

Former Employee - Writer in Las Vegas, NV
    Former Employee - Writer in Las Vegas, NV

I worked at Ultius full-time (More than a year)

Pros

There is a level of autonomy in place, where you can work when you want as a writer. This means that you can do 2-3 assignments monthly, or 20-30 assignments. It's up to you.

Cons

The company tries to operate like an Uber or an Airbnb, but make no mistake it is an essay mill. Most of the assignments are from college students (of all levels) who do not want to write their own work, and pay Ultius writers to do it. Not illegal, but not ethical either. The company has changed substantially in the last year or so with multiple editors, writing managers, and unneeded middlemen. This has caused more cons than pros in terms of interacting with customers. It has also allowed for more egos to exist to where people at the editing level feel superior to the writers and treat them like children.

Advice to Management

The main problem lies in there being too many people at the middle level, and not enough workload to support that need. This means eliminating positions that are unneeded and more closely vetting editors and writing staff to make sure they understand those they'll be supporting and that everyone is an adult, and should be treated like one.

Jun 24, 2017 – Writer Liaison

Thank you for taking the time to review our Freelance Writer position. We wanted to take a moment to respond to your review and hopefully help to address some of your concerns:

First, autonomy is... More

"Awesome Place to Work!"

Current Employee - Customer Support in Las Vegas, NV

I have been working at Ultius full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Management offers great & open communication. Kick back and non-stressful atmosphere and awesome Team to work with!

Cons

24/7 means that if we all want to get together we can't because someone has to be watching over the clients

Advice to Management

Keep up the great job! The open communication is a plus and makes me feel comfortable coming to you with any questions or concerns.

"Great place to work; have to do something dumb to get fired."

I have been working at Ultius full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Autonomy, friendly environment, family-like atmosphere, open office, SNACK AND SODA PROVIDED, health/dental/vision benefits, Simple IRA, PTO accrual, sick days.

Cons

Lack of communication, lack of well-defined policies and procedures, disciplines of employees vary and are of not equal quality.

Advice to Management

Utilize a person's education to increase pay rates.

Mar 24, 2017 – HR Manager

Thank you so much for taking the time to review us. Autonomy is one of our favorite values as well. We trust our employees to have high levels of drive and productivity, leaving you with the autonomy... More

5. "Best job I've had!"

I have been working at Ultius part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Flexibility with schedules and time off. Friendly working environment. Management respects every employee and shows that they value their time and energy.

Cons

The only downside might be that the communication between on office employees and remote employees could be better.

Mar 24, 2017 – HR Manager

We appreciate the time you took to leave a review. Flexibility with scheduling is something we try our best to accommodate, and it is wonderful to know it works for you too. We owe our friendly... More

6. "Lead Editor"

Current Employee - Lead Editor in Kansas City, MO
    Current Employee - Lead Editor in Kansas City, MO

I have been working at Ultius part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Flexible, autonomous, fast paced, and allows for adaptation as the situation requires.

Cons

Easy to forget that there are real people on the other end of my keyboard sometimes. Also, I have to be prepared to wear a lot of different hats when I'm on duty, and I have to be able to change them pretty rapidly, especially when I am flying solo.

Advice to Management

Especially during the busy months, it is so helpful to have a reviewer on most times. Understand not possible to have one every time, but Sundays are killer lately.

Jul 25, 2017 – HR Manager

We appreciate you taking the time to leave a review. You noted two specific values from our company culture, agility and autonomy. We understand how difficult it is to change gears so quickly and... More

"Writer"

Pros

Flexible, decent pay, definitely allows me to work when I am able.

Cons

The order notes appear as a large run-on paragraph, which is frustrating. Also, often times, orders will be placed without the full amount of information needed. Then, when you claim it, you find you arent qualified. The nature of the work can also make it difficult to sleep at night sometimes.

Jul 1, 2016 – Hiring Manager

Hello and thank you for providing this feedback. We are always interested in hearing from our writers to learn how we can improve their experience as members of our freelance team. Based upon the... More

8. "Great company to work for."

Current Employee - Customer Support Representative
    Current Employee - Customer Support Representative

Pros

This is a great place to work. All of the employees are very nice and friendly. The welcomed me with open arms. I love it here and plan on working here for a long time. They work with your schedule if you are in school.

Cons

The employees need more hours when it becomes slow. It makes it hard to make ends meet. The only con for me.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work. You make this a great company to work for.

Jul 1, 2016 – Hiring Manager

Hello! Thank you for taking the time to leave this feedback. We are pleased to hear that you have enjoyed being a member of the Ultius Team! We take great pride in the hiring and retaining of our... More

9. "Love my job!"

Current Employee - Support in Las Vegas, NV
    Current Employee - Support in Las Vegas, NV

I have been working at Ultius part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The office is beautiful and the location is really close to my house. My coworkers are like family and we always help each other out. Interesting clients and the stories they tell.

Cons

Winter and summer break hours are cut.

Advice to Management

Higher pay would be nice.

Jul 1, 2016 – Hiring Manager

Hello! Thank you for taking time to leave this review. We are so pleased to hear that you enjoy not only your work with Ultius but the people and the environment as well. We are proud of each member... More

"Customers are ridiculous, Ultius rules are not fair"

Current Employee - Freelance Writer
    Current Employee - Freelance Writer

Pros

None really. You get to pick what you want, but the lack of information makes picking what you want actually hard

Cons

You select an assignment, but most customers do not give you enough information. Ultius says they have databases for writers, but they do not. It is impossible to find scholarly articles without access to a database. Pay is taken away from writers because customers don't know what they are talking about

Advice to Management

Pay more/ don't take away payment because customers are idiots

Jul 8, 2016 – Hiring Manager

Thank you for taking time to leave this feedback. We appreciate you letting us know how we can improve your experience as a freelance writer with Ultius. We understand that client communication is... More