VIPKID - Perfect Job For Me | Glassdoor

Featured Review

"Perfect Job For Me"

Current Employee - Major Course Teacher in Mineville, NY
Current Employee - Major Course Teacher in Mineville, NY

I have been working at VIPKID part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Easy to do from home. No commute, no child care, no savvy business clothes, no commuting in the snow, and the best part is every day is "bring your cat to work day!" My cat, Bootsie, loves my job as much as I do! No kidding, I've had parents post reviews on my cat! The kids love it! Payment is once a month. I don't mind that because then it its a big check. You know what to expect and money is in the account on time. I love the children I teach. It is amazing how close you get to the family from the other side of the world!

Cons

You'll read that there is not enough work. I don't think that is accurate. I've been with VIPKID going on six months. My first contract is at an end. My first month I made $55.00. The next month I more than doubled that, and every month after has been going higher and higher. I am now teaching about five hours a day and making very good money for wearing pajama bottoms and an orange t-shirt. My monthly is in the four figure range. The thing is you have to give the parents a reason to schedule with you. Sitting around waiting for bookings to come is not good. You won't get far teaching only trial students; although, trial students become regular students and they will remember your smiling face. The trick to getting more bookings is to take advantages of their certifications in different areas. In November I got certified to do the major courses and my schedule is now completely and totally packed. I literally have a very full schedule, teaching around eleven classes a day. You hear a lot of complaints about missing classes. When you teach, even at a school, attendance is important. As far as online schools go, VIPKID is the most liberal. I could have worked with DaDaAbc and made a lot more money. Their attendance policy is HORRENDOUS! You are locked into a schedule that will not vary, cannot travel. I have two homes and I could only teach at one. My travel was stopped. VIPKID encourages their teachers to live a life. Its great stories for the kids. When I am at my place in Brooklyn, they are pretty amazed to see NYC. My students get to see a variety of things, which VIPKID was pretty smart to encourage their teachers to live a life.

Advice to Management

I have never had a problem with management. They encourage teachers to have "Meet Ups" and network. I'm going to my first one on Friday. Management offers advancement opportunities and the ability to get more certifications, which equates to more money. That is a good thing. The one negative thing you always hear about is the recruitment process. They now have meet ups in the big cities where prospective teachers can do face to face meetings. My experience was not bad, it wasn't easy either, but I held steady, went through the steps and started working. However, compared to the interview process I had with DaDaAbc (and that is a fine program too), VIPKID was a cake walk! Since you are dealing with an employer thousands of miles away, do you really think it would be flawless? I've seen positive changes since I've been here. I really love the management encourages their teachers to be silly! The other schools limit interaction and NO silliness. For a great work environment, I'm very ok with a little less in pay if I am happy, can travel, and interact with the kids. I like they use real teachers to do your evaluations. It all boils down to this: there are other schools out there that pay even more. To me, it is not worth the hassle. I've yet to find a person who got rich teaching, so happiness and job satisfaction should be your guiding principle, and I'm very happy where I am now.

Jan 4, 2018 – Program Manager

We are honored that you love using our platform! Thank you so much!

Other Employee Reviews

Other Employee Reviews

1. "Good company"

Current Contractor - Anonymous Contractor
    Current Contractor - Anonymous Contractor

I have been working at VIPKID as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

Most of my students are awesome. The hours are flexible, which is nice and my pay is pretty great, especially with the bonuses.

Cons

You have to stay on top management/ whoever in charge when referring new teachers. I learned this the hard way.

Advice to Management

Continue to be consistent.

Nov 19, 2018 – Social Media Specialist

Thanks for your trust and enthusiasm. Happy Teaching!

2. "Connecting people globally and locally"

Current Contractor - ESL Teacher in Edmond, OK
    Current Contractor - ESL Teacher in Edmond, OK

I have been working at VIPKID as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

The only rush hour traffic you will encounter here are the students rushing to book your class. To say that I don't spend money on work clothes would not be true because I love to sport my VIPKID gear but yoga pant, sweat pants and pajama bottoms are a great way to go to work. I work as much or a little as I want, when and where I want. Of course VIPKID is my full time job so I work as much as I want. I am a single mom of a varsity cheerleader and high school sophomore who is very involved in her school and community and I get to be there for all of it. I truly love what I do and had no idea that this would be an experience of a lifetime not a job.

Cons

Communicating with VIPKID over issues by sending in tickets is beyond frustrating

Advice to Management

Find a better way to communicate with teachers to resolve issue

Nov 13, 2018 – Social Media Specialist

We’re glad you are enjoying yourself! Thanks for your comments!

Discover more reviews about VIPKID.