VIPKID - Perfect Job For Me | Glassdoor
Pros
Cons
  • "I am not sure why many of the reviewers complain about the cancellation policy" (in 82 reviews)

• "Hours are tough- early morning and late night so unless you like third shift it's hard" (in 72 reviews)

Employee Review

Employee Review

"Perfect Job For Me"

Current Employee - Major Course Teacher in Mineville, NY
Current Employee - Major Course Teacher in Mineville, NY

I have been working at VIPKID part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Easy to do from home. No commute, no child care, no savvy business clothes, no commuting in the snow, and the best part is every day is "bring your cat to work day!" My cat, Bootsie, loves my job as much as I do! No kidding, I've had parents post reviews on my cat! The kids love it! Payment is once a month. I don't mind that because then it its a big check. You know what to expect and money is in the account on time. I love the children I teach. It is amazing how close you get to the family from the other side of the world!

Cons

You'll read that there is not enough work. I don't think that is accurate. I've been with VIPKID going on six months. My first contract is at an end. My first month I made $55.00. The next month I more than doubled that, and every month after has been going higher and higher. I am now teaching about five hours a day and making very good money for wearing pajama bottoms and an orange t-shirt. My monthly is in the four figure range. The thing is you have to give the parents a reason to schedule with you. Sitting around waiting for bookings to come is not good. You won't get far teaching only trial students; although, trial students become regular students and they will remember your smiling face. The trick to getting more bookings is to take advantages of their certifications in different areas. In November I got certified to do the major courses and my schedule is now completely and totally packed. I literally have a very full schedule, teaching around eleven classes a day. You hear a lot of complaints about missing classes. When you teach, even at a school, attendance is important. As far as online schools go, VIPKID is the most liberal. I could have worked with DaDaAbc and made a lot more money. Their attendance policy is HORRENDOUS! You are locked into a schedule that will not vary, cannot travel. I have two homes and I could only teach at one. My travel was stopped. VIPKID encourages their teachers to live a life. Its great stories for the kids. When I am at my place in Brooklyn, they are pretty amazed to see NYC. My students get to see a variety of things, which VIPKID was pretty smart to encourage their teachers to live a life.

Advice to Management

I have never had a problem with management. They encourage teachers to have "Meet Ups" and network. I'm going to my first one on Friday. Management offers advancement opportunities and the ability to get more certifications, which equates to more money. That is a good thing. The one negative thing you always hear about is the recruitment process. They now have meet ups in the big cities where prospective teachers can do face to face meetings. My experience was not bad, it wasn't easy either, but I held steady, went through the steps and started working. However, compared to the interview process I had with DaDaAbc (and that is a fine program too), VIPKID was a cake walk! Since you are dealing with an employer thousands of miles away, do you really think it would be flawless? I've seen positive changes since I've been here. I really love the management encourages their teachers to be silly! The other schools limit interaction and NO silliness. For a great work environment, I'm very ok with a little less in pay if I am happy, can travel, and interact with the kids. I like they use real teachers to do your evaluations. It all boils down to this: there are other schools out there that pay even more. To me, it is not worth the hassle. I've yet to find a person who got rich teaching, so happiness and job satisfaction should be your guiding principle, and I'm very happy where I am now.

VIPKID Response

Jan 4, 2018 – Program Manager

We are honored that you love using our platform! Thank you so much!

Other Employee Reviews

Other Employee Reviews

1. "Best Stay at Home Job!"

Current Freelancer - Independent Contractor in Waterford, MI
    Current Freelancer - Independent Contractor in Waterford, MI

I have been working at VIPKID (Less than a year)

Pros

Easy training process, fun curriculum, no lesson planning, great support from HQ, easy to teach, great pay

Cons

Challenging on-boarding process, need bachelors degree

2. "The Best Company Ever"

Current Employee - English Teacher in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - English Teacher in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at VIPKID part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I love working for VIPKID because:

- I get to choose my own schedule
    - I have the flexibility to work from anywhere in the world
    - I get to make an everlasting impact on students, ages 5-12 in China

Cons

The "hot hours" on the West Coast, USA can be challenging to coordinate with day-to-day schedules as the hours are really early in the morning or pretty late at night.

Advice to Management

Keep doin what you're doin!

VIPKID Response

Jan 18, 2019 – Social Media Specialist

We are honored that you love using our platform! Thank you so much!

Discover more reviews about VIPKID.