VIPKid Reviews

Updated May 3, 2021

4.0
Pros
  • "Good work-from-home job for Moms(in 776 reviews)

• "Flexible schedule and easy workload(in 314 reviews)

• Cons
  • "Sometimes bookings can be very sparse(in 639 reviews)

• "Early morning hours or evening hours(in 284 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Ratings by Demographics

This rating reflects the overall rating of VIPKid and is not affected by filters.

Want more demographic options?
    1. 5.0
      Current Employee, less than 1 year

Good place to work

Apr 21, 2021 - Part-Time Online Teacher
      Business Outlook

Pros

Flexible schedule and prepared lesson plans

Cons

I don't have an cons for this job.

2. 5.0

Perfect Job For Me

Dec 26, 2017 - Major Course Teacher in Mineville, NY
      Business Outlook

Pros

Easy to do from home. No commute, no child care, no savvy business clothes, no commuting in the snow, and the best part is every day is "bring your cat to work day!" My cat, Bootsie, loves my job as much as I do! No kidding, I've had parents post reviews on my cat! The kids love it! Payment is once a month. I don't mind that because then it its a big check. You know what to expect and money is in the account on time. I love the children I teach. It is amazing how close you get to the family from the other side of the world!

Cons

You'll read that there is not enough work. I don't think that is accurate. I've been with VIPKID going on six months. My first contract is at an end. My first month I made $55.00. The next month I more than doubled that, and every month after has been going higher and higher. I am now teaching about five hours a day and making very good money for wearing pajama bottoms and an orange t-shirt. My monthly is in the four figure range. The thing is you have to give the parents a reason to schedule with you. Sitting around waiting for bookings to come is not good. You won't get far teaching only trial students; although, trial students become regular students and they will remember your smiling face. The trick to getting more bookings is to take advantages of their certifications in different areas. In November I got certified to do the major courses and my schedule is now completely and totally packed. I literally have a very full schedule, teaching around eleven classes a day. You hear a lot of complaints about missing classes. When you teach, even at a school, attendance is important. As far as online schools go, VIPKID is the most liberal. I could have worked with DaDaAbc and made a lot more money. Their attendance policy is HORRENDOUS! You are locked into a schedule that will not vary, cannot travel. I have two homes and I could only teach at one. My travel was stopped. VIPKID encourages their teachers to live a life. Its great stories for the kids. When I am at my place in Brooklyn, they are pretty amazed to see NYC. My students get to see a variety of things, which VIPKID was pretty smart to encourage their teachers to live a life.

351 people found this review helpful

VIPKid Response

Program Manager

We are honored that you love using our platform! Thank you so much!

3. 4.0

Good, Flexible Work

Mar 18, 2021 - ESL Online Teacher
      Business Outlook

Pros

You choose your schedule. There is no minimum or maximum hours per week or month. Once you get the hang of it (give 6 months or so) it’s really easy with little to no prep time. Your days are free to work another job or be a SAHM or sleep. My bookings have always been decent.

Cons

The hours can be rough and the more classes you want to teach, the earlier you are going to have to get up, or the later you have to teach at night. Tech on your end or theirs will inevitably go wrong and they aren’t forgiving at all. If you can’t get into your class for whatever reason they mark you as a no show and charge you $10. That’s on top of not being paid for the class. They will tell you to send a ticket, but I’ve only had 1 out of 4 of those excused. It’s frustrating and causes a lot of stress. That said, I suppose missing 4 classes in 3 years isn’t terrible, but there is a limit of 6 per contract before you are reviewed and possibly fired. The pay used to be better. They lowered pay for existing contractors, but expect the same work. You can also expect a decent amount of unpaid time to prepare, certify to teach classes, and take workshops.

4. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 3 years

I love being mommy and teacher!

Apr 29, 2021 - Online ESL Teacher in Martinsburg, WV
      Business Outlook

Pros

Working for this company has allowed me to be home as my 5th and third graders go to school each day. It allows me to work at times that do not interfere with family activities and have the rest of my days free for my family and other things I enjoy doing. It allows me the flexibility of working as many or as few hours each week as I want and scheduling myself for the days weeks and months I want to work and taking off for vacation whenever I choose. It has allowed me the opportunity to make some sweet connections with children across the globe who I look forward to seeing daily!

Cons

The pay is not exactly wonderful. However, eighteen dollars an hour is not bad for getting to be home and working whenever you feel like it as much or as little as you feel like!

VIPKid Response

Social Media Specialist

We’re glad you are enjoying yourself! Thanks for your comments!

5. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

Almost 3 years and I love it!

Mar 4, 2021 - English Teacher
      Business Outlook

Pros

The students are so driven to learn. Many of my students have become like a niece or nephew. I feel honored to teach them twice a week for almost 3 years. I have worked as a brick and mortar teacher, but felt very restricted on when I could take a family vacation. With this company, I am able to travel during the off-peak season. I wear a VIPKid t-shirt and yoga pants to work! The savings on a professional wardrobe and no driving makes up for the cost difference of a B&M job. I also love not grading papers or doing lesson plans!

Cons

Because this is my full-time job, I work over nights like a nurse or firefighter. I don't mind, but when I'm finished with my classes, I go right to bed (9am-5pm with blackout curtains). I often don't leave the house for days because I work from home. BUT, considering the pandemic, it has been a blessing to not HAVE to leave home! I have each evening with my husband before he goes to sleep (5pm-10pm). That's all most working couples have anyway, really. No honestly, I don't see a down-side! :D

6. 5.0

I LOVE MY JOB!!!

Mar 27, 2021 - Online ESL Teacher & Independent Contractor in Penn, PA
      Business Outlook

Pros

For me, there have been so many amazing pros to my job. 1. I get to do what I love: teach young children. 2. From the comfort of home! 3. I can earn great money and be available to care for my grandson while his mom and dad are at work. 4. I get to build life long relationships with new friends across the globe. 5. I get to play everyday with some of the funniest, brightest, sweetest kiddos ever. 6. I never catch their colds! Ha ha (bonus points there)! 7. The curriculum is fun and easy to prep. 8. Amazing online support and connections with fellow teachers. We help and encourage each other - rather than compete against each other. 9. I'm the master of my schedule. All I need to do is sign my contract. I can work as much or as little as I want.

Cons

The hours aren't for everyone. Remember there's a12/13 hour difference between EST and BJT. 8 hours of sleep in a row aren't usually a thing.

7. 4.0

Great side hustle!

Apr 24, 2021 - English Teacher in Dallas, TX
      Business Outlook

Pros

Work from home, create your own schedule, the more classes you teach, the more money you earn per class.

Cons

You have to teach early morning hours if you are based in the US. You are financially punished for canceling classes already scheduled within 24 hours. Basically, you pay the company when you have to cancel class which is unethical (they deduct it from you pay). But if you don't have kids and no life which prevents you from canceling classes, this job is for you!

8. 3.0

Could be awesome.......but

Feb 14, 2021 - ESL Online Teacher in New York, NY
      Business Outlook

Pros

Work from home in comfy clothes and environment Ability to block the schedule if you know 2 weeks in advance Most students are wonderful, adorable and fun

Cons

12 hour time difference makes the hours not desirable for most No booking guarantees No chance for advancement or raise: recently just got our bonuses taken away and I’m now losing $50 a month compared to before Must have very high internet speed and equipment, still can cause problems which will ALWAYS be blamed on the teacher Students can cancel up to 24 hours ahead without penalty but that leaves a hole in the schedule that likely won’t get booked.... Takes time to prepare and make props for classes: unpaid of course You are hired as an IC so you will have to file taxes and set aside 15-30 % of your profits making it even less financially lucrative. No incentives.... Inability to block or refuse rude or inappropriate students

4 people found this review helpful
    9. 4.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

Awesome work from home opportunity.

Nov 23, 2020 - English Teacher in Naples, FL
      Business Outlook

Pros

I love working from home, and I like being an Independent Contractor. This company provides the tools and resources to help you be successful on their platform once you are hired as a teacher. You have full control of your own schedule, and can teach as much or as little as you would like. If you like teaching kids age 3-16, this is a wonderful opportunity. The company encourages you to have fun with the students, so the classes are usually very fun to teach.

Cons

Since the company is based in China, it is hard to connect with a real live person if you ever have any problems. Mostly it is an automated system using translation software, so the more independent you are at solving problems, the better you will do. Also, you do need to have good working internet and technology at all times. There are penalties you pay if you miss a class because of faulty technology or personal issues. It is also important to note teaching hours are after school and evening Beijing time, which may mean classes for some teachers start around 3am, depending on where you live. The other thing to note is that the company doesn't guarantee teachers any hours. Once you are hired, you are put into their system, but some teacher have a harder time getting booked than others. It is unclear why this is. So some teachers take months (or longer) to build their caseload. And there is no guarantee the work will be steady. Some teachers suddenly have drops in bookings and it is unclear why. So just keep in mind you will probably have to supplement this job with other work also, at least in the beginning.

10. 5.0
      Current Employee, less than 1 year

Great Company

May 3, 2021 - ESL Tutor
      Business Outlook

Pros

Great kids, fun job, curriculum is done for you.

Cons

Have to work on Beijing time

Viewing 1 - 10 of 810 Reviews