EverQuote Reviews | Glassdoor

3.7
EverQuote CEO Seth Birnbaum
Seth Birnbaum

Sort: PopularRatingDate

"Even though I was let go, I can;t say enough good about this company."

Former Employee - Sales Representative in Cambridge, MA
    Former Employee - Sales Representative in Cambridge, MA

I worked at EverQuote full-time

Pros

Sales is cyclical and summer is tough but my time at EverQuote was amazing. Beer on tap, awesome management, 100% paid benefits.

Cons

losing my job was a con

Advice to Management

review realistic goals

2. "Best places to work"

Current Employee - Sales in Cambridge, MA
    Current Employee - Sales in Cambridge, MA

I have been working at EverQuote full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Flat organization with groups who work together not strictly compartmentalized. Management cares and listens to concerns

Cons

promote from within the company please

Advice to Management

more teambuilding exercises

3. "Employees are treated with a tremendous amount of respect,"

Current Employee - Database Administrator in Cambridge, MA
    Current Employee - Database Administrator in Cambridge, MA

I have been working at EverQuote full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Leadership encourages us to really get to know each other and to spend time with people outside of our own teams

Cons

growth pains but great learning experience

Advice to Management

increase the salaries

"ISR"

Former Employee - Sales
    Former Employee - Sales

I worked at EverQuote full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great co-workers
    Benefits paid for
    Great location
    Straight forward sale.

Cons

No pro-rated commission structure for missed days, makes it hard to miss days for family or to use their Unlimited PTO.
    Few inbound wins a month, the rest you grind to win outbound against inflated goals from 2015.
    Management lacks much feedback outside of activity and "grind it out"
    Month to Month sales cycle not much focus on long-term success.

Advice to Management

None it's a start up, they're doing whatever they think is right. Can't blame them.

5. "Future is bleak for sales"

Former Employee - Inside Sales Representative in Cambridge, MA
    Former Employee - Inside Sales Representative in Cambridge, MA

I worked at EverQuote full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great culture and people. Free lunches, kegs on site. Very high transparency through the company. Unlimited PTO, casual dress, all the perks of start ups. Great location.

Cons

They laid off a lot of the sales team, due to budgetary reasons. They opened a new office in Woburn to fill it with sales people but it seems they scaled too quickly.

It's an extremely difficult sale. The product is not as great as they want you to think and lead generation is already a slippery slope. Very very very very low retention rate.

It's a cold calling sales job. It's hard, the clients we sell to don't want to talk about "leads" .You don't do your own prospecting, your told who to call, that sucks. A lot of the team didn't hit their numbers or come close.

There is a lot of arguments and problems amongst sales reps over who gets credit since it's like the wild wild west. It's very unprofessional in that sense.

Advice to Management

Right the ship. Once very promising.

"EverQuote ISR"

Current Employee - Inside Sales Representative
    Current Employee - Inside Sales Representative

I have been working at EverQuote full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Free health insurance, Unlimited PTO, good co-workers, nice people in general, nice office

Cons

Industry is beaten down, product isn't actually what trainers and managers will tell you, sales management is a complete joke and waste of money and resources, highly shade sales tactics internally, no upward mobility opportunity, does not hire from within

Advice to Management

Get a clue of what your managers are contributing to the teams(very little), get a marketing strategy that actually delivers, set realistic expectations that match the number and skills of your ISRs, practice what you preach with product so ISRs aren't lying to prospects as to what EQ will bring

Jul 18, 2017 – Assistant Talent Director

Thanks for building your career with us at EverQuote. I agree that some consumers do not understand how the process works; we are working on more clear communication to address this challenge. We... More

"Poor Management, No Direction"

Former Employee - Quantitative Analyst in Cambridge, MA
    Former Employee - Quantitative Analyst in Cambridge, MA

I worked at EverQuote full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Benefits are good: health insurance premiums are paid for, the 401(k) match is okay, parking and T-passes are covered. I enjoyed working with almost everyone. They’re a fun, curious, and easy to work with group. The business is profitable, although recent hiccups have led to a lot of scrambling. Analysts have a career track that they can pursue for development within the company.

Cons

The business is insurance lead generation. It’s often sketchy and a terrible consumer experience. Many don’t realize just how many emails and phone calls they’ll receive. The work itself isn’t meaningful and is often monotonous. There isn’t much to learn after the first six months to a year.

There is no long-term value proposition or goal -- ideas show up and disappear every few months based on who gets excited about what. Constant and often immature arguing at the highest levels of the company trickle down to indecisiveness and defensiveness at middle and lower management levels. We have a lot of data; it doesn’t trump office politics. If we were a data-driven company, our data would not be organized the way that it is.

There’s a severe lack of transparency and honesty in management and HR. Management likes to play favorites, leading to incredible discrepancies in salary, career trajectory, and treatment in the workplace. Regardless of whether or not you are a favorite, you will be excluded from meetings, decisions, and analyses that directly relate to your work and expected to accept that.

I think they have started to acknowledge that there may be a problem in the office because of the rate they’ve started losing employees. I have yet to see any real commitment to changing any of these problems. After working here, the existence of an Uber-like culture has doesn’t seem to be such a stretch of the imagination to me.

Advice to Management

Leadership workshops for managers are not enough to solve a deeper cultural problem. The decision-making process should be much flatter in hierarchy and actually data-driven. Information needs to be proactively shared with all stakeholders. Employees need to be appropriately compensated for their work -- watching several coworkers work hard (and to great effect) and get nowhere has been upsetting to watch. Skill and career development should be more of a priority for managers. A lot of unhappiness and managerial oversights are simply swept under the rug rather than addressed.

It is worth considering whether or not people who are very good technically at their jobs are the same people who would be good at managing others. And regardless, no employee in any company, rockstar or not, should be given the option of excluding, disrespecting, or gaslighting those that work for and around them.

Jul 18, 2017 – Assistant Talent Director

Thanks for spending some time with us at EverQuote. I'm so glad to hear that you enjoyed working with most employees during your time and felt that there was great opportunity to grow your career... More

8. "Analyst"

I have been working at EverQuote full-time

Pros

Good place to work at

Cons

Growing very quickly so some disorganizing at getting so large

Jun 22, 2017 – Assistant Talent Director

Thanks so much for building your career at EverQuote!

"You should probably look elsewhere..."

Former Employee - Quantitative Analyst
    Former Employee - Quantitative Analyst

I worked at EverQuote full-time

Pros

All the normal startup perks. Depending on which team you're on, the hours aren't too crazy. Decent pay/benefits. Young, fun coworkers. Opportunities to develop the skills you're interested. There are a lot of smart people who are willing to help you learn.

Cons

First and foremost, EverQuote is a bit shady. They are essentially a lead-gen site, which itself isn't necessarily a bad thing, but people go to EverQuote under the presumption that they'll get quotes, when that's not the case. Their information is then sold to insurance providers and insurance agents, who immediately flood them with calls and emails. EverQuote does not provide a real service to customers.

The managers of the analytics teams are inexperienced and emotional. They were excellent analysts themselves, but being a star analyst does not make one a star manager. There seems to be very little emphasis on developing managers, resulting in a high rate of analyst departure.

Advice to Management

Focus on making a product that actually benefits the customer in some way, instead of preying on naive, old internet users. And train your middle managers.

Jul 18, 2017 – Assistant Talent Director

Thanks for spending some time with us at EverQuote. I agree that some consumers do not understand how the process works; we are working on more clear communication to address this challenge!

The... More

"DO not work here ever"

I have been working at EverQuote full-time

Pros

There are not any pros here

Cons

Poor Product, Poor Pay, Employees steal leads from each other

Advice to Management

Put more attention into the product

Jul 18, 2017 – Assistant Talent Director

Thanks for spending some time with us at EverQuote. We take pride in our product, competitive compensation packages, and collaborative environment. It sounds like this role may not have been a fit... More