ExpertVoice Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated December 6, 2018

2.9
Thomas G. Stockham

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "The work/life balance is a huge focus" (in 13 reviews)

• "Managers within Studios are incredibly supportive of unlimited PTO policy" (in 10 reviews)

Cons
  • "Poor direction from upper management with the inability to pivot when needed" (in 5 reviews)

• "Execs take little to no responsibility for the mess the company is in" (in 3 reviews)

1. "A Fresh Start"

Current Employee - Account Executive
    Current Employee - Account Executive

I have been working at ExpertVoice full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Direct communication to leadership/making changes
    Friendly and fun work environment
    Good people who are trying to make a difference

Cons

Working hard to Grow smart w/ a smaller pool of resources.
    Company long term direction is still a little blurry

Advice to Management

The recent year has been humbling for leadership and all employees, luckily this has opened us to being open to exciting changes and really listening to the brands we serve. I LOVE being part of the solution and change, we are growing with very exciting changes happening. Keep listening and trusting the insanely talented people who work here.

2. "DevOps Engineer"

I worked at ExpertVoice full-time

Pros

Solid industry discounts, fun work environment, good opportunity for professional growth

Cons

Turbulent management, I hear it has been cleaned up.

3. "No leadership"

I have been working at ExpertVoice full-time

Pros

Office location is in downtown Salt Lake City

Cons

I would just stay away. It really isn't worth it if you are looking at a career here. No CRO, No CMO, CFO is head of HR, other leadership positions need to be filled...The morale is low, almost like a "stick it out mentality" rather than a "how can I thrive here"

Advice to Management

I would give advice but you all have been let go or quit already.

4. "Internship"

Former Employee - Intern
    Former Employee - Intern

I worked at ExpertVoice (Less than a year)

Pros

I had a super helpful team and a great learning environment

Cons

none that I can think of

"Great start to my engineering career (Washington office)"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Kirkland, WA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Kirkland, WA

I worked at ExpertVoice full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The current engineering team in Kirkland has a great manager and team, it has shrunk a bit but the remaining devs are awesome. I worked here for 2 years before the recent layoffs, and was able to find work easily after due to the projects I worked on and mentoring I received. Interesting work and really great colleagues.

Family leave program is excellent. Open PTO and WFH, which people actually use (but don't abuse) at least in the Washington office.

Cons

Have recently lost staff through layoffs and departures. Obviously this will be a red flag to you as a responsible job seeker. Ask what this has done for team scope and culture. I sense it could be a good opportunity for the right person (remaining Washington team is really great, I'd wholly recommend).

The hunting and gun focus probably won't be a big part of your job, but this can be tough to align with personal values for some.

Advice to Management

This is an ideal time to be open to engineering candidates from non-traditional backgrounds.

"Want to work here? Read this: Growing pains took over for a time, but it can be a great company to work for"

I have been working at ExpertVoice full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

-The smartest people I've ever worked with are housed in this company.
    -Opportunity to work with some of the world's coolest consumer facing brands.
    -ExpertVoice offers a compelling solution to a real problem brands deal with, and it does it in a way no one else in the marketplace can. The people who take advantage of this see serious job satisfaction, because it's interesting work in an ever-changing industry.
    -An extremely generous family leave policy (you won't find better in the state), and a great work-life balance (apparently some depts. aren't great at this, but I've never experienced that).
    -The ability to be treated like an adult - very little micromanagement takes place here.
    -People bring their dogs to work, which means there are cute animals around every day.

Some other things:
    You'll find stuff you can find in a lot of places, like food and games and parties. But I love working here because of the people I get to see every day. They make it a wonderful place to be, especially in the current time of turmoil.

Why should you work here? Because you're going to be helping solve an interesting problem, in a cool building, with talented people. And if we can get this figured out, it's going to be a lasting company providing significant value.

Cons

For transparency, I think a lot of these reviews mention things that are spot on. There are problems. But many of these reviews focus too much on the frustration, and they miss some of the bigger picture (also, calling out leadership issues is fine, but calling out co-workers in a Glassdoor review is petty and childish. Save that for internal conversations).

-A serious communications breakdown between two departments happened last year, and in a perfect storm, resulted in the situation that necessitated a significant reduction in workforce.
    -Client churn that didn't improve for months, with little view into a roadmap to improvement.
    -Blurred swim lanes for roles and responsibilities results in duplication of efforts and a lot of irritation.
    -Lack of visibility into the state of things. This continues to be a problem. This is how we ended up needing to say goodbye to so many employees.
    -A moving target. It's time to decide on a narrative.
    -Oh. And. Dogs get distracting, and pee on the carpet.

To everyone who seems to believe that the ExpertVoice leadership is terrible: I left a company due to terrible leadership. That company was actually profitable, but the leaders were horrific. ExpertVoice leadership has significantly faltered and failed in several ways over the last couple of years, but they can be an extremely powerful force if they take ownership of their mistakes and move forward.

Advice to Management

1. Decide who we're going to be, and communicate that to every leader. Be sure that product, sales, and marketing are on the same page.
    2. Take a serious introspective look and be humble — if you are no longer able to lead the company to success, please remove yourself and bring in someone who can. If you no longer believe in the vision, please leave and make room for someone who can help execute on that vision.
    3. Be more transparent. There is no excuse for company employees to have been spending lavishly on work trips, on team building, on working lunches, and on vendors when the financial situation was so dire. Why did they do this? They did this because they believed things to be in great shape. Subtle comments about needing to put heads down and work harder clearly didn't communicate that we were in trouble. Be direct about where things are.
    4. Provide more visibility, and bring back the weekly townhalls and make them more useful. Don't just let people get away with political answers that gloss over what the root of the problem is. The leaders should be in the hot seat right now, and should be providing exact roadmaps to turn things around. Product did a great job with this in executing on the recommendations system so quickly, and communicating it to the company. Marketing needs to do the same thing with the message, sales needs to actually give a real answer about acquiring new clients and stopping the bleeding at churn, and the leadership team needs to enact real change.
    5. Hold us, your employees, accountable. Don't put up with people taking advantage of a relaxed work environment. Now is not the time to let them shoot the breeze all day in the break room. Making sure people are executing and doing their jobs isn't micromanaging - it's the only way we're going to turn this around.

"Never Loved a Job like this"

I have been working at ExpertVoice full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The people here are open and friendly and it provides lots of room for growth. The move on big ideas and take risks. The CEO is an outstanding guy who cares deeply about the smallest of employee here. The location can not be beet in a historic building 30 minutes from the mountains and 15 minutes from the airport. The culture is a joy, they are always doing fun things around the office.

Cons

We take risks and sometimes they don't work out, this has resulted in layoffs. But I believe we are headed for big things.

Advice to Management

Don't develop big ideas without involving people outside of your department.

"A great place to work!"

I have been working at ExpertVoice full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The business model. The super smart people. The culture of generosity and celebration.

Cons

We've had some ups and downs.

Advice to Management

Keep at it. Celebrate successes. Mine the Tier 2 leadership for direction.

"So much room for improvement!"

I have been working at ExpertVoice full-time

Pros

Open PTO for some departments
    Good work/life balance
    Some execs and managers seem to care about their teams and employees
    Lots of dogs

Cons

There is too much favoritism. Fired an employee, just to hire her back to her old job (which she didn't even want anymore).
    Recruiter has continually provided inaccurate information about roles when hiring new employees, causing distrust of management and HR.
    High school atmosphere where you will be cornered and reprimanded by recruiter if you voice your opinion about anything.
    Too many layoffs to keep faith in the direction the company is going. The people who understand the vision and where the company should be going are frequently ignored, and have often been let go during the layoffs. Execs take little to no responsibility for the mess the company is in.
    Often, important improvements and projects are waylaid for pet projects or "fun" projects. Easily corrected issues with the site and app are ignored or put in as a low priority, no matter how much push there is for corrections.
    Social media is a mess - the social media "manager" doesn't understand how to manage social media. She doesn't seem to understand the way the system works well enough to even be able to explain it to experts.

Advice to Management

Start paying attention to the people who are on the front lines. Listen to your employees. Take responsibility for your decisions and stop punishing people who genuinely want the company to succeed and do their best to be up front about their concerns.

ExpertVoice Response

May 11, 2018 – CEO

I sincerely appreciate you sharing these concerns. Some of your points deal with private, personnel decisions I can't discuss here. I value open and honest feedback, and I'm truly sorry that you felt... More

"Good work goes unnoticed"

I worked at ExpertVoice full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

-Great people, some of the most talented ones I've ever worked with.
    -Downtown location, access to lots of restaurants
    -Open PTO

Cons

-Morale has been down a long time. The team outings and parties dwindled down to maybe a few times a year, if that.
    -Promotions for many people were often overlooked, or never given a pathway to move up in the first place. I’ve continually tried asking what I could do to grow and move up in my career there, but it always fell on deaf ears. "We'll get back to you." They never did.
    -Lack of focus and direction. It was hard solving problems when the goal kept changing.
    -During my time there, I saw a few layoffs. Too many talented people were getting laid off through no fault of their own. I was baffled by the decision of those who were let go vs. some of the ones who got to stay. The management kept many of the “shiny keys” who talked big, but were unreliable, never around, and hardly did any real work. Too many good ones were let go, which is sad because they were some of the most loyal, hard-working people I know.

Advice to Management

Believe it or not, this review is coming from a non-disgruntled former employee. I still have good, hard-working friends there and I’m writing this review in hopes that things turn around for them. I’m just being honest from what I’ve seen…
    -Plan out long-term goals instead of ones that seem good at the moment. There was always a lack or shift of focus, which too many of us felt like we couldn't do our jobs properly.
    -Don’t always let the shiny keys distract you, some of them got you into the mess you have today. Pay attention to the non-shiny key people who actually showed up every day and did the work. Just because they may not have talked big doesn’t mean they weren’t good at their jobs. Chances are, they have ideas too. They were just given the wrong leaders.
    -Give your employees opportunities to move up. Every single position there deserves a clear pathway to move up. Sit down with each employee and plan out ways for them to move up and succeed.
    -When/if layoffs happen, don't lay off 1/3 of your staff without the expectation of a fall out. Who wants to work on a sinking ship? Who would trust the management after that?
    -And lastly, please focus on morale. This has been missing a very long time and your employees deserve to be treated right.