ExpertVoice Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

2.9
Thomas G. Stockham

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "The work/life balance is a huge focus" (in 13 reviews)

• "Managers within Studios are incredibly supportive of unlimited PTO policy" (in 10 reviews)

Cons
  • "Poor direction from upper management with the inability to pivot when needed" (in 5 reviews)

• "There is a huge lack of communication cross-departmentally and some departments are rarely, if ever, highlighted for their work or contributions" (in 3 reviews)

1. "Internship"

Former Employee - Intern
    Former Employee - Intern

I worked at ExpertVoice (Less than a year)

Pros

I had a super helpful team and a great learning environment

Cons

none that I can think of

"Great start to my engineering career (Washington office)"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Kirkland, WA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Kirkland, WA

I worked at ExpertVoice full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The current engineering team in Kirkland has a great manager and team, it has shrunk a bit but the remaining devs are awesome. I worked here for 2 years before the recent layoffs, and was able to find work easily after due to the projects I worked on and mentoring I received. Interesting work and really great colleagues.

Family leave program is excellent. Open PTO and WFH, which people actually use (but don't abuse) at least in the Washington office.

Cons

Have recently lost staff through layoffs and departures. Obviously this will be a red flag to you as a responsible job seeker. Ask what this has done for team scope and culture. I sense it could be a good opportunity for the right person (remaining Washington team is really great, I'd wholly recommend).

The hunting and gun focus probably won't be a big part of your job, but this can be tough to align with personal values for some.

Advice to Management

This is an ideal time to be open to engineering candidates from non-traditional backgrounds.

"Want to work here? Read this: Growing pains took over for a time, but it can be a great company to work for"

I have been working at ExpertVoice full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

-The smartest people I've ever worked with are housed in this company.
    -Opportunity to work with some of the world's coolest consumer facing brands.
    -ExpertVoice offers a compelling solution to a real problem brands deal with, and it does it in a way no one else in the marketplace can. The people who take advantage of this see serious job satisfaction, because it's interesting work in an ever-changing industry.
    -An extremely generous family leave policy (you won't find better in the state), and a great work-life balance (apparently some depts. aren't great at this, but I've never experienced that).
    -The ability to be treated like an adult - very little micromanagement takes place here.
    -People bring their dogs to work, which means there are cute animals around every day.

Some other things:
    You'll find stuff you can find in a lot of places, like food and games and parties. But I love working here because of the people I get to see every day. They make it a wonderful place to be, especially in the current time of turmoil.

Why should you work here? Because you're going to be helping solve an interesting problem, in a cool building, with talented people. And if we can get this figured out, it's going to be a lasting company providing significant value.

Cons

For transparency, I think a lot of these reviews mention things that are spot on. There are problems. But many of these reviews focus too much on the frustration, and they miss some of the bigger picture (also, calling out leadership issues is fine, but calling out co-workers in a Glassdoor review is petty and childish. Save that for internal conversations).

-A serious communications breakdown between two departments happened last year, and in a perfect storm, resulted in the situation that necessitated a significant reduction in workforce.
    -Client churn that didn't improve for months, with little view into a roadmap to improvement.
    -Blurred swim lanes for roles and responsibilities results in duplication of efforts and a lot of irritation.
    -Lack of visibility into the state of things. This continues to be a problem. This is how we ended up needing to say goodbye to so many employees.
    -A moving target. It's time to decide on a narrative.
    -Oh. And. Dogs get distracting, and pee on the carpet.

To everyone who seems to believe that the ExpertVoice leadership is terrible: I left a company due to terrible leadership. That company was actually profitable, but the leaders were horrific. ExpertVoice leadership has significantly faltered and failed in several ways over the last couple of years, but they can be an extremely powerful force if they take ownership of their mistakes and move forward.

Advice to Management

1. Decide who we're going to be, and communicate that to every leader. Be sure that product, sales, and marketing are on the same page.
    2. Take a serious introspective look and be humble — if you are no longer able to lead the company to success, please remove yourself and bring in someone who can. If you no longer believe in the vision, please leave and make room for someone who can help execute on that vision.
    3. Be more transparent. There is no excuse for company employees to have been spending lavishly on work trips, on team building, on working lunches, and on vendors when the financial situation was so dire. Why did they do this? They did this because they believed things to be in great shape. Subtle comments about needing to put heads down and work harder clearly didn't communicate that we were in trouble. Be direct about where things are.
    4. Provide more visibility, and bring back the weekly townhalls and make them more useful. Don't just let people get away with political answers that gloss over what the root of the problem is. The leaders should be in the hot seat right now, and should be providing exact roadmaps to turn things around. Product did a great job with this in executing on the recommendations system so quickly, and communicating it to the company. Marketing needs to do the same thing with the message, sales needs to actually give a real answer about acquiring new clients and stopping the bleeding at churn, and the leadership team needs to enact real change.
    5. Hold us, your employees, accountable. Don't put up with people taking advantage of a relaxed work environment. Now is not the time to let them shoot the breeze all day in the break room. Making sure people are executing and doing their jobs isn't micromanaging - it's the only way we're going to turn this around.

"Never Loved a Job like this"

I have been working at ExpertVoice full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The people here are open and friendly and it provides lots of room for growth. The move on big ideas and take risks. The CEO is an outstanding guy who cares deeply about the smallest of employee here. The location can not be beet in a historic building 30 minutes from the mountains and 15 minutes from the airport. The culture is a joy, they are always doing fun things around the office.

Cons

We take risks and sometimes they don't work out, this has resulted in layoffs. But I believe we are headed for big things.

Advice to Management

Don't develop big ideas without involving people outside of your department.

"A great place to work!"

I have been working at ExpertVoice full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The business model. The super smart people. The culture of generosity and celebration.

Cons

We've had some ups and downs.

Advice to Management

Keep at it. Celebrate successes. Mine the Tier 2 leadership for direction.

"So much room for improvement!"

I have been working at ExpertVoice full-time

Pros

Open PTO for some departments
    Good work/life balance
    Some execs and managers seem to care about their teams and employees
    Lots of dogs

Cons

There is too much favoritism. Fired an employee, just to hire her back to her old job (which she didn't even want anymore).
    Recruiter has continually provided inaccurate information about roles when hiring new employees, causing distrust of management and HR.
    High school atmosphere where you will be cornered and reprimanded by recruiter if you voice your opinion about anything.
    Too many layoffs to keep faith in the direction the company is going. The people who understand the vision and where the company should be going are frequently ignored, and have often been let go during the layoffs. Execs take little to no responsibility for the mess the company is in.
    Often, important improvements and projects are waylaid for pet projects or "fun" projects. Easily corrected issues with the site and app are ignored or put in as a low priority, no matter how much push there is for corrections.
    Social media is a mess - the social media "manager" doesn't understand how to manage social media. She doesn't seem to understand the way the system works well enough to even be able to explain it to experts.

Advice to Management

Start paying attention to the people who are on the front lines. Listen to your employees. Take responsibility for your decisions and stop punishing people who genuinely want the company to succeed and do their best to be up front about their concerns.

May 11, 2018 – CEO

I sincerely appreciate you sharing these concerns. Some of your points deal with private, personnel decisions I can't discuss here. I value open and honest feedback, and I'm truly sorry that you felt... More

"Good work goes unnoticed"

I worked at ExpertVoice full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

-Great people, some of the most talented ones I've ever worked with.
    -Downtown location, access to lots of restaurants
    -Open PTO

Cons

-Morale has been down a long time. The team outings and parties dwindled down to maybe a few times a year, if that.
    -Promotions for many people were often overlooked, or never given a pathway to move up in the first place. I’ve continually tried asking what I could do to grow and move up in my career there, but it always fell on deaf ears. "We'll get back to you." They never did.
    -Lack of focus and direction. It was hard solving problems when the goal kept changing.
    -During my time there, I saw a few layoffs. Too many talented people were getting laid off through no fault of their own. I was baffled by the decision of those who were let go vs. some of the ones who got to stay. The management kept many of the “shiny keys” who talked big, but were unreliable, never around, and hardly did any real work. Too many good ones were let go, which is sad because they were some of the most loyal, hard-working people I know.

Advice to Management

Believe it or not, this review is coming from a non-disgruntled former employee. I still have good, hard-working friends there and I’m writing this review in hopes that things turn around for them. I’m just being honest from what I’ve seen…
    -Plan out long-term goals instead of ones that seem good at the moment. There was always a lack or shift of focus, which too many of us felt like we couldn't do our jobs properly.
    -Don’t always let the shiny keys distract you, some of them got you into the mess you have today. Pay attention to the non-shiny key people who actually showed up every day and did the work. Just because they may not have talked big doesn’t mean they weren’t good at their jobs. Chances are, they have ideas too. They were just given the wrong leaders.
    -Give your employees opportunities to move up. Every single position there deserves a clear pathway to move up. Sit down with each employee and plan out ways for them to move up and succeed.
    -When/if layoffs happen, don't lay off 1/3 of your staff without the expectation of a fall out. Who wants to work on a sinking ship? Who would trust the management after that?
    -And lastly, please focus on morale. This has been missing a very long time and your employees deserve to be treated right.

"Could be better / Could be worse"

I worked at ExpertVoice full-time

Pros

-Downtown office location with parking or the option for a trax pass.
    -Open PTO, which is great. But honestly, don't be fooled by this alone because SO many companies now offer this perk and it's becoming a norm. If you're looking for a job, keep looking elsewhere -- you'll find the same benefit.
    -Pretty decent health benefits sans vision. So be sure to get your eyes checked and prescriptions renewed before accepting a job offer.
    -The opportunity to purchase product from an array of top tier brands at a fair discount. But warning, if your product is shipped to the office (which is a requirement if you purchase from the company website) it could possibly be stolen from your desk or the office manager may misplace it and/or auction your product off to the company for the low price of $1 and pocket the money (not quite sure why/who in leadership would ever approve of that. Maybe they've realized how awful that is and put an end to that by now).
    -Anyone is allowed to wear headphones at their desk to drown out the distraction of dogs playing fetch or peeing at your feet and putt-putt golf tournaments.
    -Employees have the option to purchase a standup desk with their own money to avoid posture issues.
    -Some job positions will require travel for work which could be a pro or con depending on the person.
    -Depending on the department, teams are able to enjoy a couple of offsite group activities throughout the year.
    -A snack room that usually unstocked with "an unlimited amount of snacks".. which is also a perk of just about 80% of every other tech company, except they stock theirs.
    -A company Christmas party.. also a perk of most all companies. What's interesting about the ExpertVoice Christmas party is that it's a company roast. Literally. A roast where your peers get on stage to share a presentation as they publicly shame their coworkers which could potentially be lighthearted but if taken too far, could ruin someones career. Pro or Con? You decide.

Cons

-Lack of CREDIBLE leadership skills of about 70% of the mid-upper level leadership. Because of this, departments continue to spin their wheels with no firm direction and are later reprimanded for it.
    -Lack of ownership from mid-upper level leadership. This is a skillset that a credible leader would have showcased prior to being considered for a position in leadership but it seems that this is overlooked by hiring managers.. and their hiring managers.. and their hiring managers which has just caused a tangled web of garbage leadership teams at the mid-upper levels and seems to be so deep rooted that the only solution of fix would be if the leadership team was wiped out and built from scratch. I haven't encountered a single person from the leadership team that has owned up to the performance of their department, owned responsibility of a specific employee situation, or owned up to how their actions and department performance impacted the current state of the company. To gain respect of your people, directors need to OWN IT. ALL OF IT. The good, the bad and the ugly. That's part of the responsibility of leading and directing a team.
    -Lack of MEANINGFUL opportunity for advancement is a common theme across many departments at ExpertVoice. Most employees have experienced a similar lack of direction from their director to help them advance in their career. It's impossible to get promoted based on experience, merit or performance and it's quite defeating. Seems as though, most promotions within the Sales, Marketing, HR, Studios or Delivery departments are awarded to those who are favored by mid-upper management or are in a dating relationship with management. Even those awarded these phony, lack of skill, promotions, are awarded some sort of bogus made-up title that doesn't even pertain to the job description. I guess that's better suited than a job title worth giving to someone else who is credible though.
    -Condescending HR department is alarming. The HR department should be a safe-haven for employees and instead, people are terrified of this team because a few individuals have publicly bullied their peers.
    -Lack of attention to detail in every aspect of the company. Especially the HR department. Incorrect employee information on tax paperwork and insurance is not acceptable. EVER.

Advice to Management

The common thread to just about all of these reviews on glassdoor seem to be this - Look into your management team. Mid-level and upper-level. Start supporting your decisions around REAL metrics and data supplied by your management team to find out why your company is failing, which departments are crucial to the success of your business and where your funds are going.
    I also think that the online/digital presence of ExpertVoice doesn't position the company well with clients when pitching HUGE multi-pillared campaigns to potential customers. Get a team of EXPERT online/digital/social marketers who can grow the audience and tell the ExpertVoice story in a way that resonates with people. Find a group of people who can clearly define who ExpertVoice is... Find doers not talkers.

"It could be so, so, so great"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Salt Lake City, UT
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Salt Lake City, UT

I worked at ExpertVoice full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Work/life balance, pay, ownership of projects, fantastic team leaders, freedom to explore passion projects, best coworkers I've ever had, great lower-level talent, fantastic industry/client experience.

Cons

Questionable, short-sighted decisions from upper management, serious miscommunication issues across teams, too much change in client strategy, too much change in company values and culture, limited opportunities for advancement, undue favoritism, for the most part, unhelpful to those who've been laid off.

Advice to Management

This really could be a fantastic company to work for. It was at one point. But laying off A LOT of amazing people that really could've helped the company long-term and keeping cheaper/less experienced workers isn't a great plan for extended success. If you're that desperate for cash, something should've been done a long time ago. A lot of people who have been/would've been loyal to the company and hustled for YEARS were let go in favor for some who just collect paychecks. Favoritism runs rampant and that breeds discontent and distrust.

At one point, the whole team was inspired to do great, impassioned work for great clients. Multiple teams truly believed in the mission of the company. I think the company CAN be great again. But the change starts from the top. It needs to. And I understand it takes time for great things to happen. But if you're beholden to investors instead of creating your own destiny and trusting your workforce and making miscalculated knee-jerk decisions then you've already lost. Operate out of confidence in your talent. Not fear.

The remaining people that are there are VERY talented. Want to reenergize them and help them regain their purpose? Utilize their talents that may be hidden. Ask them for guidance what they see on the day-to-day. Ask them what about their work they're passionate about. Ask them what works for clients. Ask them what doesn't. Ask middle management what they see on the ground. Get real about morale and not just about the dollar. Reward and recognize workers for their hustle, don't just leave it up to middle-management.

I truly believe that upper management has some smart and capable people that can lead this company. But it's time to take a look in the mirror and develop self-awareness of the mistakes you're making. I'm indebted to the company for how much I've grown while being there. But it's time to correct your mistakes for the sake of the company, even if that means saying goodbye to some sacred cows.

May 11, 2018 – CEO

Thank you for your feedback and for your hard work during your time with ExpertVoice. The dramatic actions recently were taken so we can be in charge of our destiny. We’ve been through a difficult... More

"So much potential, lack of vision"

I worked at ExpertVoice full-time

Pros

The best thing to come from working at Experticity was the relationships that were curated with some of the most exquisite talent I have ever worked with.

Also, great work/life balance.

Cons

Starting off with career opportunities, the way that Experticity seems to promote from within is not done by performance or merit but your relationships with higher management. If you want to survive here, don't worry about your skill set, knowledge or experience - it won't get you anywhere.

Second, if a company knows they are not doing so hot in June - they should NEVER lie to their employees by saying everything is fine and wait until the next March to do massive layoffs. Also, when doing layoffs it is important for management to look and see who the best people are to keep in order to help survive. This was not the case for Experticity - many more females where let go than males (some of who were/are pregnant). Who does that?! Also, just because someone complains they got laid off and complains directly to the CEO they should not be rehired just for being friends with management especially when they are not a good worker!! By doing so, you displace an amazing employee who everyone LOVES.

Lastly, vision. There is a lack of centralized vision within the company because of how it is being run. Without a centralized vision - a company is doomed from the start.

Advice to Management

Start paying attention to how you got to where you are today. You let the best of the best go because they aren't kissing butt enough - fun fact, they are too busy doing their jobs. These are the employees who are actually skilled, knowledgable and can help grow the company, but alas are silenced.

Lastly, the current CFO should really take over and run the company. It would be a 180 from where it is today.

May 11, 2018 – CEO

Thank you for your feedback. The people I have been lucky enough to work with at ExpertVoice, both past and present, are remarkable. These layoffs were really hard. Due to our financial performance... More