Fandango Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated November 13, 2017

Full-timePart-time

Paul Yanover

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Decent work life balance, free movie tickets, catered lunches, well stocked kitchen, nice people, half day off during summers, lots of team events (in 12 reviews)

• The company provides a pretty nice work-life balance (in 11 reviews)

Cons
  • After hiring Paul Yanover to run Fandango the moral went down (in 5 reviews)

• Company is growing too fast; management priorities go against work/life balance (in 3 reviews)

"Tech geek"

Pros

Anyone else find it odd these posts are all anon? Makes me feel like some disgruntled ex co worker is sitting a dark room with their red stapler posting and reposting.

I have been here for a year now and I am happy here, but there is always room for improvement. I left my old company for some very real reasons and think that perspective skews my vision a little. I am not thrilled with my executive, however, my direct manager is pretty decent and that is hard to find in a tech lead.

More perks than most entertainment companies. On par with most tech companies in LA. Interesting projects, good work/life balance, new bonus structure for all employees and competitive pay. The company continues to grow and the new space is an ideal environment for that.

Cons

We have A LOT of junior people here. For some of these people it is their first or second job and it shows in their deliverables, attitudes and egos. I hear a lot about the things we don’t get : google perks, more food, more money, a pony….and I wonder if more experience would give them a better perspective.

Advice to Management

Pay attention to your middle management tiers. It feels that there are some areas that are ill equipped to manage people. Communicate more with your teams about what is going on and stop making promises you can’t keep.

"I wish things could be better."

I have been working at Fandango full-time

Pros

It's a cool product, a cool brand, and there are some great people. The executive staff is just way too disconnected with their employees.

Cons

I love the anonymous review complaining about anonymous reviews. My guess is that HR wrote that review. Is it coincidental that whenever a negative review comes up, it's followed by a slew of positive reviews?

There are fancy new offices. Great. There are also a lot of disgruntled employees, and no one seems to want to address anything.

Advice to Management

Look at the disconnect between executives and their direct reports.

3. "Good work environment"

I have been working at Fandango full-time (More than a year)

Pros

company culture is strong, new building is a nice place to spend the workday

Cons

salaries don't match the competition

Advice to Management

empower the new people joining your tight knit community by showing them their value

4. "Fun place, but not much pay or growth"

I worked at Fandango full-time (More than a year)

Pros

-Free lunches twice a week
    -Fun parties and activities
    -Some nice people

Cons

-Low pay
    -Not a lot of room for growth
    -Upper management doesn't know how to retain employees or has much focus
    -Most departments are a mess in terms what needs to be done
    -You'll find your fair share of stuck up people who think they run the world

Advice to Management

-Perfect what you have and respect your employees
    -Stop trying to do too much too fast

"Like it but don't love it"

Current Employee - Manager of Stuff in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Manager of Stuff in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Fandango full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I've been employed with Fandango for 3 years now. A lot of change, growth and growing pains. Management has made some interesting moves to try and stay ahead of the market and find new revenue streams. Im not sure if those moves will prove fruitful, but at least they are forward looking and not stagnant. There are some really great people that work here and a lot of interesting work and projects.

Pros:
    constant evolution, great environment, fair pay with a great new bonus plan, above average perks, constant food-maybe too much, and opportunity to get exposure to the larger NBCU company for those that are open to it. Our new building is also pretty nice.

Cons

Its starting to feel a little Mickey Mouse these days and the club house seems full of ‘bros’. Some executives aren't as close to their teams as they should be and those left in charge can be toxic-gossipy, building fiefdoms, neglecting or misinforming their teams and only showcasing themselves. I have heard my executive publicly and inappropriately bash other departments. Makes me wonder what he says when our team is not in the room. Not cool.

Advice to Management

Stop squabbling amongst yourselves and spend time with your teams-not just direct reports. Mix things up a bit and try promoting current employees to leadership roles. And please stop hiring people from the Mickey Mouse Club b/c it doesn’t seem to be a cultural fit.

"Used to be a good place to work"

I worked at Fandango full-time

Pros

Free lunches twice a week, some free movie tickets, well stocked kitchen

Cons

Opaque company culture and no system of giving or receiving feedback.
    Management lacks coherent a strategic vision and as a result the company seems to be jumping from one crisis to another.
    No plan to fix root level organizational/infrastructure issues but the focus is always on firefighting the current crisis and every person/team on its own.

Advice to Management

Bring back transparency to the company. Give and be willing to accept honest feedback even if it is not what was hoped for.

"Depressing."

Pros

Free food, Decent salary and benefits, Nice headquarters office. Lots of office space for meetings. Standing desks. Free parking and gym.

Cons

Constant pivoting or indecision by upper level mgmt. Undisciplined people at various levels are selfish--meaning they only care about themselves and/or the team they're in.

One of the VPs implemented a "career path matrix" to communicate what is expected of you and what one would need to do in order to "get to the next level" but not soon after, a round of promotions were announced without adhering to this standard. This illustrates there is some shady nepotism, favoritism or flat out hypocrisy going on. On the other hand, HR also implements a facebook-like peer review system but insists it will have no power in decision making for raises or bonuses or promotions. So what the heck is it for then?

Teams become gridlocked due to too many projects and not enough help so staff ends up blaming or resenting other departments.
    Incompetence of senior managers dictating policies without serious discussion with team.
    People burning out and quitting.
    Do the opinions expressed in exit interviews ever get shared up the chain?? Do they even read Glassdoor?

Advice to Management

Foster an environment where the employees feel valued and empowered to do things that make their jobs easier and their coworkers' lives better -- instead of all this passive aggressive energy between departments. Happy employees make a better product. Not enough "personal touch" and rapport with grunts.
    It's ironic to see the president beaming about how great the new HQ is looking while losing focus on the well-being of employees.

"Happy Employee"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Beverly Hills, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Beverly Hills, CA

I have been working at Fandango full-time

Pros

Great benefits - 401k, good health insurance choices including PPO & HMO options, dental and vision, plentiful PTO including sick days, vacation, personal days, floating holidays, standard holidays and summer Fridays pending manager approval and work schedule. Bonus plan for all employees rolled out in 2017. Catered lunches twice a week, plethora of food, snack and beverage selections provided including healthier options. Beautiful new Beverly Hills office with lots of common open work space both inside and outside. Promo codes for $600 worth of movie tickets and $600 worth of FandangoNOW EST/VOD service per year disbursed through twice yearly codes. Amazing company events from festive holiday parties to the highly anticipated annual summer party. Training and development opportunities internally and externally.

Fandango is an industry leader on a long continuous growth streak. It is an exciting place to be as the company continues to transform and redefine itself for an ever changing business landscape. Never satisfied to rest on its laurels or remaining in the past Fandango looks to the future to see where the business is headed and position itself in that direction. It is a fast paced environment with a high rate of change preventing boredom for those who are up to the challenge. If you want slow and steady look elsewhere. For me it has been a place of opportunity and growth and I genuinely enjoy going into work each day. I am part of a great team and have the best manager of my career. There are many smart, talented people at this company. No place is perfect and not everyone is a rock star but we certainly have some gems. Senior Management is generally very approachable. Schedules are insane but I've never known an employee to be turned down when they request time with an executive from the VP of Human Resources to the President.

Cons

With growth comes opportunities and challenges. Sometimes it is a bumpy ride when you are pushing boundaries, reinventing identities and integrating new businesses.

Like any company a large part of your job happiness depends on your direct manager and team. Not all are equal and if the fit isn't good it will hurt your experience. Choose wisely, ask lots of questions and see how the people around seem to feel about their jobs when interviewing. Read all reviews including mine and judge for yourself. Most people's experience will fall in the middle and not at the extremes.

Being part of NBCU and Comcast has pluses and minuses. The positive is benefits and perks from the relationship. The negative is that there is a corporate side with more systems, processes, etc. that can slow things down and Fandango can't override them when moving faster than the parent companies.

Like any company there is dysfunction, politics and conflict. Some departments will have more than others but I've never found a company without some degree of this. There can be competing agendas and priorities and these can change rapidly. Extremely meeting intensive culture. While keep all stakeholders informed is good, having calendar so full of meetings your are left wondering when to do work can be challenging some days.

Advice to Management

Continue to focus on remaining the market leader and innovative. Take time to digest each acquisition and be cautious about biting off too much at once and getting indigestion.

Ask yourself if two pizzas would feed everyone in a meeting like Jeff Bezos does and if the answer is no it might be time to rethink some of the meetings and if they are helping or hurting productivity.

"Depends on what you want out of your career"

I worked at Fandango full-time

Pros

Some of the people I met here were the nicest people i've ever worked with in my career. Nice as in, you'd want them as your neighbors and friends and I was sad to leave them.

The compensation is fairly competitive in LA. They have some free food, and nice perks like free movie tickets and movie rentals / purchases. The work life balance is on the level of ... if you are good at what you do you could probably get away with working ~3 hours a day and not have any issues. Very flexible work arrangements, and pretty generous vacation / sick time. 401k match is very very good.

Its a good family friendly place, with comcast backing it.

Cons

HR is for whatever reason more of an issue here than any place i've worked. This isn't a place where you are going to move particularly fast if you want that. Some people who are pretty mediocre probably need to be let go just to change the culture which seems to accept being mediocre as totally fine. Going the extra mile here is not something that advances you so that is frustrating.

The office location now in beverly hills is in a bad place, its not walkable to restaurants etc so everything needs to be driven to. the santa monica location was much nicer.

There is probably an excessive amount of project management / process.

Advice to Management

Get back to your startup roots. Move faster and cut down on the process.

"Textbook Corporate Dysfunction"

I worked at Fandango full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Nice office, free movies and probably many others if you happen to feed the cult of personality that currently reigns.

Cons

The culture has become the most non-people focused I've witnessed. No working processes to speak of. An HR dept that manages up and is more concerned with doing the bidding of execs than functioning as an advocate of the employee. No advancement of technology. Horrible interdepartmental communication. Unresolved corporate identity crises that go far beyond growing pains.

Advice to Management

Scale back on the PR smoke and mirrors and focus on core compentencies. Reign in the chaos, hire a leadership team that communicates and works together in delivering a cohesive strategy. Overhaul HR.