Financial Technology Partners Reviews

Updated Aug 2, 2020

3.8
Financial Technology Partners Founder & Managing Partner Steve McLaughlin (no image)
Steve McLaughlin
  1. "Incredible experience"

I have been working at Financial Technology Partners

Pros

Great culture Amazing client interaction Exposure to senior management

Cons

Some weeks will work 80+ hours No other cons

"Amazing Learning Experiece"

Current Employee - Analyst in New York, NY

I have been working at Financial Technology Partners full-time for less than a year

Pros

- Deal flow: Never bored here. No waiting around all day only to end up pulling an all nighter because someone threw something your desk at 5pm, which is a problem at a lot of other banks. I always have multiple things I can do (or need to do urgently) - Client exposure: have had the CEOs / CTOs / CFOs of multiple companies email me questions or requests and been on calls with entire management teams as the only representative from FT as an analyst. - Responsibility: You get so much responsibility as an analyst which means you learn so much faster. Deal teams can be lean which requires the analysts to step up and take over a lot of work that isn't necessarily "analyst work" - Culture / Tight knit community: People are amazing and everyone genuinely likes each other -- people choose to hang out outside of work (even after spending long work weeks together in the office!)

Cons

- Cheap expense policy: my uber home isn't always covered by the caps which is a bummer

"Best "Bootcamp" On the Street"

Current Employee - Analyst

I have been working at Financial Technology Partners full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great place to learn the fundamentals and be hands on. Junior employees are trusted and in charge of a lot of responsibilities early on. Life balance got better the last six months. The culture is also a big plus and very collaborative.

Cons

A lot of things have been fixed on the cons side. Maybe one minor thing would be to increase the dinner budget after midnight.

Continue reading

"Intellectually challenging, extremely rewarding, and great place to work!"

Current Employee - Analyst

Pros

Consistent deal flow and an opportunity to work with companies & executives from around the world. Deal teams are lean and everyone in the firm is busy so as an analyst you will be given a lot of responsibility... with more to come as you continue to prove yourself. Great internal collaboration across our various teams which help keep everyone at the firm in the know with latest trends, transactions, and client / investor activity. The amazing people and corporate culture allow for a more fulfilling and enjoyable experience.

Cons

Non-critical work during weekends could be improved. limited corporate infrastructure creates some inefficiencies in day-to-day work.

"Do Not Trust the Reviews That Have Been Posted Recently"

1.0
    Former Employee - Analyst

I worked at Financial Technology Partners full-time for more than a year

Pros

Analysts will know the deal process very well because of how connected they are in the process Good firm for fintech but most deals you will do will be cap raises and not M&A given who the clientele is

Cons

One man shop owned by Steve Mclaughlin. Miserable treatment by superiors who have no respect for your personal time. Little opportunity to really develop the soft skills needed. Cold, detached office space. History of making fake reviews to bolster the sweatshop environment. A lot of admin work, more so than other firms. Will rarely hear a word of appreciation from senior management. Analysts in my class left before the two year typical period.

Continue reading

"Outstanding Experience, Great Team, Hard"

Current Employee - Analyst in San Francisco, CA

Pros

I came to FTP with the expectation that it was going to be hard but that is what I was looking for right out of school. I'm not sure I was prepared for what I was getting into as this was my first IBD job. The first few months were REALLY hard and I think i learned more in those months than i did in school. But it was my team and friends that got me through it . Everyone here works hard but I can't tell you how rewarding it has been. And fun . Our team of analysts are close and if you're going to work long hours you may as well enjoy the people you are with. every day. Firm is focusing more on getting more people to bond and mentoring,.

Cons

Lots of work. A lot! We spend a lot of time cranking out pages and pages of materials and lots of revisions. Not complaining but it get tedious. Everyone is generally pushing themselves pretty hard. Hard to balance personal life but I knew that coming into this role. It takes some getting used to....

Continue reading
  7. "Great Learning Experience and Career Opportunity"

Current Employee - Investment Banking Analyst in New York, NY

Pros

- Responsibility: From day one, you are placed with a great deal of responsibility, more so than most first year analysts at other banks - Deal flow: Deals are always coming in, and you never have to worry about getting staffed on just pitches - Exposure to senior bankers: Coming in, I did not expect to work as closely with senior bankers as I have. Most of these guys come from pretty large banks with tons of experience. As an analyst, it's a unique opportunity to work with them every single day. - Modeling skills: At FT, you learn how to model early on, and are expected to understand the model inside and out on your respective deal. Models are also always built from scratch. You aren't just building powerpoint decks as a first year, you are learning the necessary analytical skills to help you strive in your career. - Culture: The majority of FT bankers genuinely want to see everyone succeed, and try to help out the junior staff as much as possible. - Improving work life balance: Over the past 6 months or so, management has made a concentrated effort to improve the balance of analysts. By hiring more people, the workload and hours expected of an analyst has significantly gone down.

Cons

- Time zone differences: As an analyst in the US, there is a possibility you are staffed on cross border deals. While this is really exciting to work on deals across the world, this means that sometimes you will have meetings early in the morning to accommodate the different time zones.

Continue reading

"Solid solid experience I could not have gotten elsewhere"

Current Employee - Second Year Analyst in San Francisco, CA

Pros

FT is all about deals and doing whatever is possible to get the best possible client outcome, at any cost. While this is a massive amount of work, the teams are bonded and the senior people are mostly in the trenches with the team. We get time off when needed, training is constant especially on the job, CEO exposure and MD exposure is a daily treat. I've closed multiple deals here and received thank you emails / discussions from my MD, VP and the client on occasion, which makes it all worth while. Exit opportunities are plentiful as buy-siders know FTP analysts are fully trained.

Cons

Tons of work, no free food (only drinks) in office. Would like more exposure to other offices.

Continue reading

"Great Group of People Working with Tremendous Focus"

Current Employee - Administrative in New York, NY

Pros

Really united team -- hard working, open communication, energetic atmosphere, respectful and collaborative

Cons

None so far! I've seen some difficult situations handled quickly and decisively, so I feel they're really on top of their game.

"Exceptional Experience"

4.0
    Current Employee - Associate in New York, NY

Pros

-The reality is you learn banking when you execute on deals, and FT gives you the opportunity to start working on them day one. -Junior bankers are given direct access and the opportunity to create impact. -The firm stands as a leader in tech. -Firm is focused on creating strong culture.

Cons

Hours are real. It's a work hard/play hard mentality. Must be a go-getter as it's a smaller place where people need to roll up sleeves to get things done.

Found 26 reviews