Foundation Center Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated February 25, 2017

Full-time Part-time

Rating Trends Rating Trends
Brad Smith

"Good organization, poor management"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Brooklyn, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Brooklyn, NY

I have been working at Foundation Center full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Interesting work, useful products, nice people, smart programs, birds eye view of nonprofit sector, build your network, ping pong room

Cons

Poorly managed workloads and priorities, little respect for employees by top management and HR, too top-heavy, technology is low-grade, wants to grow but has no plan/vision how, no privacy

Advice to Management

Be more transparent. Show us that you hear problems and don't explain them away, but lead us in fixing them. Take ownership of work and not advantage of us.

"OK but not great"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at Foundation Center full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Friendly colleagues and fun social activities. Many opportunities for career development and skill building. Excellent benefits and paid time off policies.

Cons

Workload is often overwhelming and unrealistic. Senior leadership has obvious favorite departments and individuals. Org structure keeps shifting creating a lack of perceived stability. Salaries under market value.

Advice to Management

Figure out a more respectful way to let go of long term employees because you are doing it wrong. Have fewer meetings so people can actually do their work.

3. "Forward the Foundation"

Current Employee - Web Developer in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Web Developer in New York, NY

I have been working at Foundation Center full-time

Pros

Relaxed work environment, short hours, good for people with family responsibilities
    Thoughtful co-workers
    Academic / non-profit atmosphere
    Opportunities for interesting data science work, web design, product development

Cons

Staff not experienced in SDLC or product development
    High manager ratio
    Unrelated to Asimov's Foundation series

"Not a very creative place to work"

Former Employee - Editorial Associate in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Editorial Associate in New York, NY

I worked at Foundation Center part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

They were flexible with my schedule and I could work whatever hours I really wanted to. I only needed a part time job at that time and so it was easy to work around my other commitments.

Cons

The work is boring and my position was data entry and filing. It wasn't very challenging work. Most of the time I spent researching in their library and combing through piles and piles of streams of paper and cards. They had little organization and their computer technology was so outdated. I didn't feel like I learned very much about their work because it was mostly a data entry position.

Advice to Management

More creativity should be offered to projects for employees and their assistants.

"Great organization, provides complicated but valuable service to nonprofit sector"

Current Employee - Editorial Associate in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Editorial Associate in New York, NY

I have been working at Foundation Center full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Benefits are excellent (currently they contribute 12% non-matched to your retirement after 2 years). Coworkers are generally very intelligent and easy to get along with (there are exceptions to that though). The organization's business model will be transitioning greatly within the next 5-10 years because of the open data phenomenon, but senior management knows this and is very forward thinking. The organization provides valuable services to the sector and is dedicated to openness and transparency.

Cons

Not much room for advancement in the current structure. The work in data (which I currently do) can be mind-numbingly boring and not challenging at all. In other departments though, the work can be varied and interesting.

7. "Skilled employees; uneven managerial talent at VP and Director-level managers"

I worked at Foundation Center full-time

Pros

Employees well-educated and professional. Diverse workforce. Nice people. Interesting projects. Benefits goods. Workplace attire informal.

Cons

Laid off significant percentage of work force in 2009 and 2016, with growth in new jobs, then elimination of positions prior to 2016 layoffs. Uneven distribution of managerial, administrative and professional talent at senior levels. Department and/or staff reorganizations occur every 1 to 2 years.

"Poorly Managed"

I worked at Foundation Center full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great resources, solid product offerings, lots of potential, poorly managed. Low-stress environment. Unclear where the organization is going and what folks at the top do.

Cons

Poorly managed. Too many managers at the top, not enough worker bees, so you end up having to do three jobs for same salary.

Advice to Management

Strategy for the future is unclear. Don't assume staff is behind your ideas, stress is often stifled. What do all those managers and directors do all day?

"Poorly managed"

I worked at Foundation Center full-time

Pros

Get to work with some really smart people working hard to shed light on giving ttends in philanthropy.

Cons

Total lack of transparency from the senior leadership. Inhumane approach to firing staff without cause or warning.

Advice to Management

This is not how a non-profit organization should be managed. Get rid of the bloated salaries in senior leadership and engage a management consultant to correct things before it's too late.

"Not bad"

I worked at Foundation Center full-time

Pros

Smart people doing good things

Cons

Weird corp culture, low salaries typical of nonprofit work

"Used to be a great place to work..."

Pros

Family atmosphere never too many dull moments, thoughtful staff

Cons

Too much gossip about eachother

Advice to Management

Listen to both sides