FuseFX Reviews

Updated Jun 19, 2020

3.7
FuseFX Founder, CEO, VFX Supervisor David Altenau (no image)
David Altenau
Pros
  • "Fuse did a fantastic job of hiring not just great artists but people that were wonderful to work alongside and learn from(in 8 reviews)

• "There is an open door policy, and he is attentive, firm, and disciplined(in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • "But again I feel that has less to do with Fuse and more to do with the lack of consideration the rest of the film industry has for VFX and VFX artists(in 6 reviews)

• "Most of the good employees have left or are working on leaving(in 2 reviews)

1. "Very organized"

Current Employee - Compositor in New York, NY

I have been working at FuseFX full-time

Pros

The whole company is very organized, the employees have the space to achieve their career goals.

Cons

Sometimes too many projects run at the same time, the employees have to do work overtime a lot.

"A VFX Shop like no other, thankfully."

Former Employee - VFX Artist

I worked at FuseFX full-time

Pros

If you can get a great hourly rate or you are a close friend of the executives you may like the way this place rolls, Otherwise stay away.

Cons

Arrogance and disrespect from the top down. Sheer disregard to honoring hiring agreements including weekend or overtime work, which amounts to malpractice. Rudeness, disrespect shown across the board towards the general artists . The company also produces poor quality so there is no aspiration

3. "Great Place to Work"

Former Employee - Compositor in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at FuseFX full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Fuse did a fantastic job of hiring not just great artists but people that were wonderful to work alongside and learn from. The environment was always friendly! Fuse has also developed an incredible pipeline that makes setting up, working on and submitting shots very smooth. References, elements, shot notes and updates are all easily accessible and organized so artists can focus on their shot work and not hunting around for things.

Cons

The downsides are the same ones any VFX company in film face, and with the focus mainly on television it means tight deadlines and quick turnaround. It's very frustrating to get a bunch of shots come in late Saturday night for a show that airs that Monday. But again I feel that has less to do with Fuse and more to do with the lack of consideration the rest of the film industry has for VFX and VFX artists.

"VFX Industrialized"

Former Employee - VFX Editor in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at FuseFX full-time for less than a year

Pros

There is continuous work here and ample opportunity for overtime. Snacks are plentiful and the coffee is good.

Cons

The working environment feels a bit like a factory and doesn't always encourage creative collaboration. Something about working here made me want to read the works of Karl Marx.

5. "Good company"

4.0
    Current Employee - 3D Artist

I have been working at FuseFX full-time

Pros

Varied work, lots of shows

Cons

At times lots of overtime, sometimes because of clients

"No management, no loyalty."

Former Employee - Senior in Van Nuys, CA

I worked at FuseFX full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Worked on a couple good shows. Worked with some great people. If you're not dumb enough to take a salary position they'll pay you a lot (low rate but ridiculous overtime) until they work you into the ground. Is being burnt out a pro?

Cons

They don't get many good shows and tend to lose the ones they have. Instead, they bend over and take whatever Ryan Murphy garbage is being shoveled out in this week. Most of the good employees have left or are working on leaving. Averages over a dozen a month including every producer and most of the CG department so far this year. Heard they've been through 4 HR directors in 4 years! I think almost every other department is on its second or third head in the same time. "Staff" means absolutely nothing here, they'll lay you off on a whim. Then try to call you back and be surprised you've made other arrangements.

FuseFX Response

July 17, 2019Director of Human Resources

Hello! So sorry that you had such a negative experience. I am the HR Director here and have been for about 2 years. FuseFX never had a Director of HR before me. It is true they went through 3 HR Managers back in 2014-2017 as they were in rapid growth mode and wanted to find the right fit. I was found, I am here, with no plans of going anywhere. The CEO personally sent me your review as he reads everything that is posted here. I can't tell you how nice it is working for an executive team that indeed cares about its people and what they think. “What's the point?” The point is that FuseFX has changed a lot in the last 2 years, that is true, change that has been good and change that has been hard. We don’t consider any of our work “garbage,” as the work we do at FuseFX provides countless jobs and livelihoods to artists, producers, and other creatives in LA, NY, and BC. “What's the point?” The point is that a company that grows rapidly also changes. Its owners, who still own and run the company, work every day to create a wonderful work environment for people. Like all their employees, they work long hours and every weekend pouring over the details of running a large company with three busy locations. I am privy to so many conversations that are never about greed and are always about people, how we can be better, how we can communicate better, how we can provide more, how we can give back, how we can make sure we recognize talent, and how we can deliver great work to our clients in a changing marketplace. The people that are still here and the people we are hiring look to build something that is fun, energetic, artistic, and sustainable. Rapid change is hard. We survive it and grow from it. We are glad so many seasoned and skilled people apply to work at FuseFX every day and we are proud that people who have been here for 7+ years are rising to new ranks. It’s a wonderful time to be in VFX and contrary to your post, "Staff" means everything to the Executive team here. They invest in people, they invest in talent, they care when people are unhappy and they wish you all the best. “What's the point?” The point is that FuseFX isn’t crashing; its learning, its growing, its changing, and rising to be a better company.

"Fan of FuseFX"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at FuseFX full-time for more than a year

Pros

I've worked for many different companies over the years and the best advice I can give you is that the grass isn't always greener on the other side, it's greener where you water it! My time at FuseFX has been great. I get along extremely well with my team, there has been opportunity for growth and learning, there are fun activities from time to time and there are snacks! Fuse has been the most unique work environment so far, in a good way! Most everyone is kind and welcoming and while there are some characters, you'll find that anywhere you go. I really do enjoy my time at Fuse, I have a strong team, the owners are relaxed and non-corporate like and I appreciate all the events that are put on for the employees - the Holiday party, health fair, massage day, ice cream day, etc. - that makes it all worth it! But most importantly, my Supervisor encourages me to go outside of my comfort zone and pushes me to do and be better!

Cons

The new investor announcement has made a lot of people worried but the way I see it, we'll have the financial support to make Fuse better than ever. Growing pains are part of the process, just hang on.

Continue reading

"Great studio to get started out"

Former Employee - Mid Compositor in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at FuseFX full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

FuseFX has a great environment and friendly people that work there. They are dedicated to their craft and do some amazing work. They’re typically very busy, and don’t have much downtime or hiatuses. They are very loyal to workers that show initiative.

Cons

You can get bored easily. They do a lot of the same tasks over and over and over. On top of that they have a tool that forces artists to work on multiple shots at once, making you feel like an assembly line worker. They underbid a lot, which is fine sometimes, but overly stressful other times. Sometimes you’ll feel apart of a great team, sometimes you’ll just feel like a cog in a machine. They recently sold out to an investment group, and it’s uncertain what effects that will have on the studio.

9. "Highly organized, very demanding"

4.0
    Current Employee - Compositor in Van Nuys, CA

I have been working at FuseFX full-time for less than a year

Pros

Very organized with great database-driven tools, great support and a great collaborative atmosphere. Generous amenities with free snacks and drinks, a great kitchen and a full-time staff person to organize and maintain it.

Cons

Highly deadline- and performance-driven, which is not for everybody. You are initially hired on a month-long contract and if you don't perform well enough you will be done in 4-6 weeks.

"Disappointed"

1.0

I have been working at FuseFX

Pros

Then-Management and team culture used to inspire everyone and working hard and long hours never stung

Cons

Now-it sucks! It is greed and politics. The COO is egotistical and HR is a click with no confidential and professional ethic and owners are set after the company sold. Many of the old time employees left Producers and Supervisors from different locations, CFO in Accounting and HR and other Office workers. If you don’t fit in you are out it is just a matter of time.

FuseFX Response

February 13, 2019Director of Human Resources

If there has been a breach of confidence or unethical conduct by our HR team, we encourage you to report this to the new CFO. We want our staff to feel they can talk to our executive team if anyone, including HR, violates our company policies. Creating an environment that is welcoming and inclusive is a priority to our management team and their door is open to you. Thanks for sharing your feedback.

Found 42 reviews