Future US Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

3.1
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Zillah Byng-Maddick

Pros
  • Feels like family, great work environment, amazing culture (in 5 reviews)

• There are lots of great people at the company in the US (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • Not much room for advancement thanks to many crucial US roles shifted to UK employees (in 3 reviews)

• Some senior management are resting on the their laurels of past accomplishments (in 3 reviews)

1. "Editor"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Richfield, MN
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Richfield, MN

I worked at Future US full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Fun work environment, supportive HR, path and opportunity for career growth.

Cons

UK relationships and politics can get a bit weird.

Advice to Management

Remember the people who make the content are just as important as the people who sell it.

"Things are good and then...Surprise, you are laid off."

I worked at Future US full-time (More than a year)

Pros

-Loved everyone I worked with face to face.

-You can play video games at work and no one will think twice.

-Depending on your role, you will get lots of free stuff (games, tech). Even if your not in editorial, you will still get free stuff now and again.

-Opportunities to work at gaming and tech conferences around North America and sometimes get rock star treatment while you are there.

-Life/work balance is amazing.

- Try new tech and games before the public does.

-Get to work with PC Gamer, TechRadar and GamesRadar

-The office space is cool and in a great location (though they are talking about moving.... again)

-Catered lunch on Wednesdays (but not the swanky 415 you see in the pictures, they cut that)

-Lots of snacks and different drinks.

Cons

-At Future US you can get laid off at any moment. No warning, no whispers. Even high management will not know it is going to happen until its already over.

-Employees are constantly asked to do more with less.

-The top execs in the UK make decisions without telling anyone.

-They will lay off workers but then buy seemingly useless media properties.

-The US no longer has HR. (cause they laid them off) So now HR is ADP and one woman in the UK...

-Getting a raise is almost laughable.

-There is little communication between the US and UK teams. It can sometimes feel like "us verses them."

-Every time you think things are looking up they seem to fall right back down.

Advice to Management

Top execs need to help everyone else make sense to what is going on. Be Honest and help everyone understand.
    Talk to sales before you do lay offs.

3. "AR Specialist"

Former Employee - Accounts Receivable Specialist in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Accounts Receivable Specialist in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Future US (More than 10 years)

Pros

Best culture I've ever worked at, great work balance, health, vision, dental and 401 K, vacation time.

Cons

when i was working there, the only con was probably not too much room for advancing

"Great People, Tough Times"

I worked at Future US full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Passionate group of people who love the gaming/tech industries.

Cons

Tough environment for a declining print industry.

Advice to Management

Be careful of leaning out too much -- it impacts morale in a huge way.

"Its good until it isn't"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cary, NC
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cary, NC

I worked at Future US full-time (More than a year)

Pros

There are lots of great people at the company in the US. Everyone seemed really on-board with trying to transform the business out of the 90's and into the present.

Cons

Moving entire teams to the UK without any advanced notice, come on folks, respect your employees enough to give them some heads up. Real decisions are made in the UK, which sucks because a lot of really great work comes out of the US.

Advice to Management

Zillah, you really messed up the latest "move the product to the UK" round of layoffs. Just be straight with people.

"No vision, no direction"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in South San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in South San Francisco, CA

I worked at Future US full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The people are nice. Benefits are good, or were when I left in 2013. You don't have to work very hard, but then again neither do your coworkers...and sometimes that means you're the only one on your staff who's really trying.

Cons

It's so depressing. They keep changing their minds as to the company's goals, focus, and strategy. Leaders don't lead. Good people will leave a team and just not be replaced, or replaced with reassigned people from elsewhere in the company who aren't interested in doing much but showing up, watching TV, and collecting a paycheck. I left before entire departments were eliminated and their jobs taken over by the home office in England. I hear it's gotten worse since then.

8. "Good place to cut your teeth as an editor"

Former Employee - Editor in South San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Editor in South San Francisco, CA

Pros

Generous health benefits
    Friendly work environment
    Shuttle to work and ample parking
    Ability to freelance for multiple internal publications

Cons

Office is in distant office park
    Company seems unstable and future is uncertain
    Lack of synergy between publications

Advice to Management

Building employee confidence in their publication and the company as a whole needs to be a priority.

"Too slow to change"

Former Employee - Senior Editor in South San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Editor in South San Francisco, CA

I worked at Future US full-time

Pros

Talented people all around, relaxed dress and conduct codes, relatively nice office space with a beautiful view

Cons

Huge disconnect between management and basically everyone else. I routinely worked nights and weekends while managers walked out at 5pm on the dot beaming, "Have a nice weekend!" as they went. This would have been way less galling had they made better financial decisions. Remember Ball Hype? Of course not. So why did Future pay a million dollars for it? Just one example out of many options.

Advice to Management

I'm not even sure who's in charge anymore. During my 4.5 years, we had at least three different CEOs, most of whom came from other industries. I suppose my advice would be: "Hire managers who actually know THIS business, not just business in general."

10. "Good place to work"

Former Employee - Art Director in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Art Director in New York, NY

Pros

Had creative freedom and fun bosses. Plenty of opportunities.

Cons

Plenty of work to do on tight deadlines. But then again, that's publishing.

Advice to Management

Keep going strong!

11. "Best Employer I've ever Had"

Current Employee - Operations Manager in South San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Operations Manager in South San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Future US full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

- No micromanagement
     - Work from home days
     - Comfortable being yourself (not overly corporate and stuffy)
     - They love your ideas (don't be afraid to share them)
     - They love creativity
     - Hard work is always rewarded and recognized
     - If you speak up and want to move your way up they listen and apply you into positions that work best for you.
     - Never had a manger I didn't like, as a matter of fact I've really enjoyed every manager I had
     - The people who work here are happy to share knowledge with each other to improve how we work
     - Most of the people who work here are super friendly and polite to a fault. They respect each other and become more like family than just co-workers
     - No judgements, diversity and differences are welcome here.
     - Despite most everyone getting along we keep it professional and stay on target with our goals.
     - Despite our past problems with having to let people go the company has now become a lean mean well oiled machine. The super sharp focus on digital is putting the company in a more stable and profitable position.
     - I love my job! I've worked here for 5 years now and with the exception of being sick I never wake up feeling like I don't want to go to work. At times I am excited to go to work and see what I can accomplish.
     - The company style is not a greedy one. You will not be treated as a replaceable tool moved around and/or let go just to make a few extra bucks. They treat you like a respectable human being. My advice is to just let your manager know what you like to do and what you don't like to do and they will make sure your job stays in a position you are comfortable with to the best of their abilities.
     - Good for parents, students, or people who just don't want to be chained to a desk working extremely long hours. When we work we work hard within normal working hours. When we play we play hard and have fun breaks together. And then we go home :)
     - Good benefits, HR has always worked for our best interest

Cons

- Could use more funding to departments. Considering the print market going down and having to let go of so many people this is not a surprise. As of late this has been slowly improving.
     - Because departments become so close they become like family and when the family has to be split up some of those people became bitter. Especially those who don't like change. (notice those who complain the most worked here the longest. If it was so bad why did they stay so long?)
     - Payment processes really need work. They are working on it, thankfully we have new management on the US finance side who is excellent and on top of everything. The UK AP team is getting better but we still struggle with not having controls on our end while some people in the UK refuse to listen to us and understanding US laws. UK laws and US laws are not the same! Despite that management team is aggressively working on changing these problems.
     - If you need attention from your manager this is not the place for you. They will tell you what they expect, but it is up to you to know how to do the job. I'm happy with this style because it's part of not being micromanaged and having the skills to think for yourself. Some people don't like it though they want guidance all the time.

Advice to Management

Management has always done the best they can do for the company and employees. I watched them literally pour their hearts into their jobs and protect the people who work here as much as they possibly could. Most people don't know that. I do because I used to be their assistant so I saw how things really were behind the scenes.

As Future is right now, my best advise to the management team is to find a way to reconnect with people in the company. The management team is very busy so understandably they don't have time to chit chat. Simple gestures go a long way, like saying hi when you pass by or thank you when one of us spend tons of time on taking care of an extra project. Check in on your team from time to time see if they are ok. You don't need to spend a ton of time showing your appreciation. Appreciation = loyalty. I am extremely loyal to Future US. The managers I have worked with always believed in me. Most of them do show appreciation and for that I am more grateful to them than they can possibly understand. But I have noticed a common theme as of late with the management team not being seen and present. I have heard a lot of questions and seen a lot of confusion because of this. Also, when the management members are here it's almost like some of them avoid eye contact in fear of an all out conversation.

I'd like to add advise to our staff and anyone interested in working here as well. Our management team will not hold your hand and tell you how to do everything. They will tell you what needs to be done and who can help you with questions. It is up to us to figure out the rest. We are supposed to be professionals at whatever job we are hired for after all, they hired us for that reason. I wish everyone understood how hard it is for the managers to balance time at work and time at home. I've seen people constantly need managers attention, request things that could of been requested to someone else. The management team tends to only have the capacity to go from one project to another meeting to traveling to delegating. They shouldn't need to tell us how we do our jobs. They are not our parents, they don't need to comfort us every time we feel down or insecure. So let's not bother them with unnecessary requests and long conversations. Rather, lets make them feel more comfortable to say hi and be themselves. If you do need to approach someone in management, make sure you have all of your questions listed down. This saves time, instead of constantly going to them with one request at a time.