Galileo Learning Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

4.2
Glen Tripp

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • If you like working with kids, it's quite easy and quite fun (in 16 reviews)

• Evergreen was a lot of fun to work at, the group was great, the same kids always came back every summer and loved the returning employees (in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • The only downside were the long hours but it is to be expected when working with children of working parents (in 21 reviews)

• The pay is definitely too low (they pay less than minimum wage hourly because laws are different for camps) (in 13 reviews)

1. "Great Summer Internship!"

Former Employee - Summer Intern in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Summer Intern in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Galileo Learning (Less than a year)

Pros

-everyone at camp G loves their job so you're constantly surrounded by happy and positive people
    -camp G has a really strong vision that you can really see in manifest itself in its staff and the campers
    -really great training program

Cons

none that i can think of! this was a great first internship experience

2. "ENTHUSIAM!!!"

Pros

different every day, cute kids

Cons

fake enthusiasm, i had to pretend like everything was GREAT! when i just wanted to act happy and normal but you have to act insanely excited

3. "Great, Diverse Environment"

Former Employee - Lead Instructor, Science in Sunnyvale, CA
    Former Employee - Lead Instructor, Science in Sunnyvale, CA

I worked at Galileo Learning full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great management, diverse working environment, fair pay

Cons

Not as much diversity in the campers

4. "Great job for developing professional work experience and skills"

I worked at Galileo Learning full-time

Pros

Very focused on goal setting and help you achieve those goals and develop your professional skills.

Cons

Constant positivity and a lot of work load for a small team.

5. "A fun place to work!"

Former Employee - Assistant Instructor in Palo Alto, CA
    Former Employee - Assistant Instructor in Palo Alto, CA

I worked at Galileo Learning full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Very supportive, genuine environment. Management and co-workers really want what's best for you and the campers. I felt like my work was valued.

I also had a great time with all of the other staff and the kids, Galileo really makes an effort to do staff bonding and team-building, which I really liked.

Cons

Lots of work, especially during camp set-up and take-down at the beginning and ends of the summer. It's mostly easy work, but most of the time you do end up staying way working hours.

Sep 7, 2017 – Outreach Manager

We're so glad to hear you enjoyed your summer with us! We pride ourselves on the quality of our staff and the tight-knit personal and professional relationships to be found at camp. We agree that... More

6. "Innovation at it's Greatest"

Former Employee - Instructor
    Former Employee - Instructor

Pros

You get to work with amazing staff members to create an amazing summer not only for yourself but also for the campers you'll spend time with. You get to do skits, play games and just hang out with everyone and it just a ton of fun. You can help kids make really cool projects but the coolest thing is that they learn about the GIA innovative mindset an process and at first, it kind of weird and awkward and a little bit forced but soon you'll start integrating it into your own life as well. I feel like I came out of this 8-week experience more confident and ready to chase after my dreams after a summer of fun and supportive staff members.

Cons

Sometimes the hours are very long but I think despite that it still a very worthwhile experience!

7. "Not What I Expected"

I have been working at Galileo Learning full-time

Pros

I love the Innovator's Mindsets and the idea that mistakes are to be embraced as they are a way to learn and improve. The projects the campers work are amazing.

Cons

Long hours and low pay. The job felt very tedious and demanding at times, however I wasn't able to appropriately use my skill sets, so I was often bored or frustrated. I also don't like that the surveys aren't anonymous. It makes it a little hard to candidly share feedback (they're all about feedback) when everything you share is going to directly to your camp director with a name attached.

Advice to Management

Increase the pay. Accurately modify the job descriptions so prospective employees know exactly what it is expected of them day to day.

Aug 28, 2017 – Outreach Manager

Thank you for your review, as well as your kind words regarding our pedagogy and curriculum. We are certainly very proud of the caliber of our camp program. Camp days can definitely be long and will... More

"Not worth the low pay"

Former Employee - Team Leader in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Team Leader in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Galileo Learning full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The day would go by pretty fast and I liked a position where I was more active as opposed to sitting in an office all day. My coworkers were very fun and nice.

Cons

The pay is not worth it. I was a Team Leader for first and second graders. I was under the impression that I would have 10 campers in my group, respecting the 10:1 camper to staff ratio. Wrong. One week, I had 21 campers to myself. I also found myself having to actively facilitate rotations. The fact that Lead Instructors were paid around $12/hour while Team Leaders were only paid around $10/hour was very disheartening. Lead Instructors would also take an hour for lunch while TLs had 30 minutes. This created an environment for Team Leaders that felt unfair and caused a lack of motivation or sense of community. I would not come back unless I felt as though I was paid adequately. I was offered a position at another camp for $12/hour and turned it down because Galileo is more established and I felt it would look better on my resume. I regret this decision.

Advice to Management

Raise the Team Leader pay if you are going to give them 21 campers to watch for 7 hours/day.

Aug 28, 2017 – Outreach Manager

Thank you for your feedback, and we are sorry to hear that you did not enjoy your experience as a Team Leader. We would love to hear directly from you to learn more, as there seems to be a disconnect... More

9. "Great summer job"

I have been working at Galileo Learning part-time

Pros

Great people to work with and a genuinely positive work environment. I teach full time the rest of the year, so you'd think I might be done with working with children by the time summer comes around, but Camp G is such a different environment, it is almost like a different world. A summer at camp is a pretty rejuvenating experience.

Cons

Galileo gives you all the supplies for the camper projects, but inventory and resupply can be a headache.

10. "Low pay"

Pros

The staff members are very funny, helpful & warming. You get a sense of family when you enter the facility & camp grounds.

Cons

They pay lower than minimum wage, so I guess you gotta love kids & working for free. You can look at it as paying-it-forward or volunteer work.

Jul 17, 2017

Thanks for your review. We value your feedback, and are glad to hear your reflections on the camp community our staff creates.

On compensation, our pay is competitive with other summer camps and... More