GridPoint Reviews | Glassdoor

Mark A. Danzenbaker

1. "Satisfactory"

Former Employee - Energy Manager in Reston, VA
    Former Employee - Energy Manager in Reston, VA

I worked at GridPoint (Less than a year)

Pros

good learning for Agile Methodology.

Cons

Client Pressure is to much.

2. "Down and Out"

I worked at GridPoint full-time

Pros

Cool technology that could be a good business.

Cons

Unseasoned leadership making terrible decisions

Advice to Management

You need to go.

3. "Great concept, failed execution, far too early to market"

Former Employee - Engineering Manager in Arlington, VA
    Former Employee - Engineering Manager in Arlington, VA

I worked at GridPoint full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The earlier days of this company were exciting, interesting and full of possibilities. The original CEO raised an incredible amount of money based on a solid concept.

Cons

Revenue growth is elusive. The working capital required for that silly solar company GP purchased changed the way the company had to run the business.

Advice to Management

In retrospect, unsophisticated investors allowed this company to survive longer than it should have. Sell the one remaining valuable asset, kill the brand and find something new to do.

5. "Playing To Win"

Current Employee - Marketing and Events Specialist in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Marketing and Events Specialist in Washington, DC

Pros

Great people that make for and enjoyable work environment.
    Great industry!
     We live in a data driven world, and marketing a data intensive product is awesome. There's rarely a dull moment and the diversity is awesome. I work with innovative thinkers who are highly intelligent yet extremely humble. Tony Hsieh, of Zappas, believes that an organization with the ability to bring in people who can create a great culture is just as important as finding highly skilled people to do a job - we do well in this department. I can boast that I work with a very determined group of which everyone is willing to weather any storm to complete a task or get a job done - can you!

Cons

I would like to see the benefits package improve as many of my colleagues have already expressed. I feel that as we continue to move forward this will be addressed accordingly.
    I would like to see our team members show more interest in the roles and responsibilities of our colleagues in other departments. When we show an interest in others it instantly boosts morale. Lastly, I would like to see company core business training and development classes to keep us all sharp should be a must. Even the best need refreshers in the basics.

Advice to Management

Continue to be transparent and "very" clear on specific goals.
    Have a definitive plan of action
    Pay attention the behaviors of the staff. Some team members feel they don't have a voice that's being heard. Get the team talking and give them ways to express what's on their minds

6. "New Leadership with a Fresh Look"

Current Employee - Product Manager in Reston, VA
    Current Employee - Product Manager in Reston, VA

I have been working at GridPoint (More than a year)

Pros

- Great opportunities for professional growth
    - Improving culture since the acquisition
    - Great leadership with a great direction

Cons

Compensation and benefits aren't the greatest. That is to be expected at a startup. As the company grows, there will be more opportunity for this to be addressed.

Advice to Management

I have confidence in the vision and strategy that the management team has for the next three years as well as the ability of the current team to execute on those goals.

"Run"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Falls Church, VA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Falls Church, VA

I worked at GridPoint (More than a year)

Pros

The products are exceptional. Best in their class

Cons

Everything else, the management from the president down play favorites, have not a clue how to run a company. incompetent sales team, with this product sales should be flowing but there hsx not been a new customer in over a year. Don't expect them to be around much longer.

Advice to Management

Quit and let someone who knows what they are doing run the place.

8. "Positive Changes"

Current Employee - Sales
    Current Employee - Sales

I have been working at GridPoint full-time (More than a year)

Pros

GridPoint has totally changed the business for the better over the past 6 months. After the acquisition by TFC, management started to make significant efforts to improve culture and overall success of the company. While there is still work left to do, everyone here is now super excited for the direction we are headed and the potential growth ahead.

Cons

-Still some benefits that can be upgraded but management is currently working on this.
    -This is a startup type environment, so you need to be prepared to wear multiple hats and make important decisions regardless of title or rank (this could also be a pro)

Advice to Management

Continue to make positive changes to retain top talent. We have a great base of smart people and need to keep them in house to make this company successful.

9. "Feedback"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tampa, FL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tampa, FL

I worked at GridPoint (More than a year)

Pros

Great product and support services

Cons

High turnover at the executive level

10. "A New GridPoint"

Current Employee - Senior Data Analyst in Arlington, VA
    Current Employee - Senior Data Analyst in Arlington, VA

I have been working at GridPoint full-time (More than a year)

Pros

After over a year at GridPoint, I can confidently say GridPoint is (finally) well-positioned for a bright future, and it is an exciting time to be working for the company. The acquisition by Twenty First Century Utilities (TFCUtilities) and the establishment of a new leadership team at GridPoint has accelerated long-overdue cultural and operational improvements. Below are some of the reasons I love going to work every day:

-High level of responsibility: Having started at GridPoint early in my career, the level of responsibility I was allowed early on is unparalleled by any job I have researched to date. The management team members serve as great advisors, while still allowing younger members of the organization to take ownership of exciting projects. These leadership and learning opportunities offer the most value at the company.

-Opportunity to develop new skill sets: Everyone at the company wears multiple hats, and it is encouraged to work across departments. The management is extremely supportive of colleagues pitching in on any project of interest, and has the mentality that both employees and the company benefit from collaborative work.

-Great team: While GridPoint has seen a lot of employee turnover in the past few years, the current employees are some of the best and brightest you could hope to work with in the energy world. The current GridPoint staff is committed to the future of the company, and they make it fun to go to work every day.

-Flexible work schedule: Managers are extremely reasonable regarding doctor appointments, working from home, taking PTO etc. They know you will get your work done and allow flexibility many other companies do not offer.

-Best-in-class product: GridPoint offers a sophisticated, multi-award-winning energy management solution that helps to reduce energy consumption (and consequently CO2 emissions). Simply put, it’s easy to sell a solution we are proud of.

Cons

-Lack of structure: There is a start-up vibe at GridPoint following the acquisition by TFCUtilities and the commencement of new initiatives. While this fosters an exciting workplace, the lack of many defined processes can be frustrating at times. Whether this is a pro or con will depend on your personality.
    -Room for benefits structure to improve (Note: this concern is actively being addressed)

Advice to Management

-Attract and retain top talent (this includes generating more candidate leads)
    -Improve benefit structure
    -Don't lose sight of GridPoint's unique differentiators (see above)

11. "Has potential... need some changes"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Leesburg, VA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Leesburg, VA

I have been working at GridPoint full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Small company feel, good comraderie between peers, professional (yet relaxed) environment

Cons

no bonus plan, no opportunity for career growth, terrible benefits plan, mgmt team not all playing from the same playbook... many conflicts.

Advice to Management

get rid of some of your high paid execs and either promote those beneath or find other leaders that know how to roll up their sleeves and drive results in a small company.