Grooveshark Reviews | Glassdoor

Sam Tarantino

1. "Web Dev Intern"

Former Employee - Intern in Jacksonville, FL
    Former Employee - Intern in Jacksonville, FL

Pros

Excellent employment opportunity; worked on and designed Grooveshark's new web player and downloadable app. Very hands-on for an intern. Well compensated for my efforts and many learning opportunities.

Cons

A little stressful when it comes to releases, but that comes with the job. Air of snobbishness in the employees, especially when it comes to lower level employees/interns. Complicated frameworks, needs lot of maintenance.

2. "Fun place, but management has no idea what they're doing."

Former Employee - Mid Level Management in Gainesville, FL
    Former Employee - Mid Level Management in Gainesville, FL

I worked at Grooveshark full-time (More than a year)

Pros

This was a fun place to work and if you got the right people on your side you could advance your career (although you'll paid way below market value).

Cons

Management has no idea what's going on. I don't the CEO even had a grasp of who our users were, how we made money or the actual potential future of our company.

Advice to Management

Bring in professional management. Understand what's actually going on at your Company and how it works.

3. "Amazing Company"

Former Employee - IOS Developer in Gainesville, FL
    Former Employee - IOS Developer in Gainesville, FL

I worked at Grooveshark part-time (More than a year)

Pros

This was one of the best work experiences I could have ever asked for. The founders were great and the team that they managed to built was nothing short of the best. Can't wait to see what Sam goes on to do next.

Cons

I could not find any cons of being here. Issues within the company were addressed immediately and there was never anything but good vibes while being there. This was a place where everybody genuinely enjoying coming to work.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing. You built an excellent company that will never be forgotten. It was the best group of people I could have ever asked to work with.

5. "The greatest place to grow"

I worked at Grooveshark full-time

Pros

Grooveshark was the kind of place that hired you not based on what you knew but how smart, dedicated, and curious you were. If you wanted to learn and grow, there were no shortage of opportunities here. More of a family than anything, the bonds I made there are some of the strongest I've ever found.

Cons

Low pay, Gainesville is a hard town to be a young adult in, but otherwise no complaints about the company itself.

6. "Never made it past start up"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Gainesville, FL

I worked at Grooveshark full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Tons of freedom and flexibility to pursue projects. Flexible working hours and vacation, as long as you get your assigned projects done. Great team members - really hard working and smart people.

Cons

Very little clarity on direction and responsibility. Upper management was a mess and would mismanage resources. CEO lacked direction and focus. Most employees were overworked and doing 5 peoples jobs. Very few teams had real structure, and if they did, it was all because of one team member who took the initiative to figure it out. Employees were often rewarded for continuous hard work in stock options instead of pay raises. Resources were extremely limited across the board, so if you have a project you want to see completed, you better figure out how to do it with no money and no development time. Employees had a ceiling of how high they could climb before there's no where else to go (no significant growth opportunity after a certain point). No one talks to you about future career opportunities. Executive team was like a club with no entry.

Advice to Management

Maintain focus, treat your employees with respect.

7. "Awesome culture"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Gainesville, FL
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Gainesville, FL

I have been working at Grooveshark (More than a year)

Pros

Plenty of room to grow, lots of opportunities to learn. Awesome group of people always going out of their way to help others, and doing their best to make the best product possible.

Cons

Obviously the lack of future for the company.

Advice to Management

Nothing much to add here. Management did an admirable job, especially considering their lack of experience. Possibly heading more of the advice of some of the employees with more experience may have helped improve matters, although I don't think it would have changed the inevitable fate of the company.

"Fun environment to work in, but constant legal problems, company not making money problems, and low pay were problems."

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Gainesville, FL
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Gainesville, FL

I worked at Grooveshark full-time

Pros

- Great people
    - Fun and relaxed environment
    - Free breakfast, lunch, and dinner
    - Constantly working on hard problems
    - The amount of learning that happens here is huge

Cons

- Management
    - Low, low, low pay
    - Huge turnover rate
    - No room for promotion
    - Huge stress
    - Horrible work/life balance
    - Guilt tripping to work more hours
    - Constant legal problems and scandals
    - Always unsure if Grooveshark would survive another month

Advice to Management

- Your employees are your bread and butter, treat them like kings/queens
    - Mature and start being an actual company; stop hiding behind the start-up label
    - There's never an excuse to not pay your employees well

9. "Fun office, not for the career-oriented"

Current Employee - Advertising Sales & Marketing in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Advertising Sales & Marketing in New York, NY

I have been working at Grooveshark full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Fun office, awesome people to work and play with, laid back atmosphere, free food, great beats...

Cons

laid back atmosphere, terrible management practices (company had n o money, so they fired a number of employees (at Xmas) and flew the entire NYC office to Florida for a party- makes sense, no?), tons of legality issues, terrible pay (and a massive lie of a bonus structure), and even worse healthcare benefits.. (to be fair, I have not been there for over a year). Also, clearly not a place to go if you take your career seriously.

Advice to Management

Get better healthcare, make an effort to contend w/ the real businesses in the digital space, pay better, and just be professional

10. "Web Developer"

Former Employee - Web Developer in Gainesville, FL
    Former Employee - Web Developer in Gainesville, FL

I worked at Grooveshark full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

great engineer team and awesome working enviroment, build cool music service for people

Cons

the pay is kind of low but you live in Gainesville so it won't matter that much

11. "Can you hear me now? Yes. Yes I can. And I do believe you are doing it right, Grooveshark."

Current Employee - OPERATIONAL in New York, NY
    Current Employee - OPERATIONAL in New York, NY

I have been working at Grooveshark full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I find working at Grooveshark to be one of the most amazing experiences I have ever had working in tech and media over the last decade. It's by far one of the most forward thinking companies I have ever worked for. The daily expertise, excellence and shared best in class technology and digital music curated - is quite reminiscent of initial days of the Internet revolution. its, the team. Period.

In my view, the average Groooveshark employee seems infectiously excited about the rise for device ubiquity, and consumer behavior. They love music and are humble about and their obvious seat at the "streaming music" table from the listeners' points of view - being a clear music fan favorite. These are two great barometers that the company’s sweet spot and moment in in the sun has arrived.

These facts, in addition to many of the other challenges the company has overcome in its near decade of existence, clearly illustrate one slid point to me. New employee or old, the place is alive with the tenacity they had from day one.

To me it seems entrepreneurial creativity is the fabric of Grooveshark DNA. Great people, culture with a team full of franchise players.With broadcast, the company finally has a proprietary technology and format, that both artists and industry are utilizing. This and a community of 30 million, means Broadcast is powering the next evolution of Grooveshark with new strategic alliances, promotional efforts to bridge artist and fans. I think Grooveshark is at the tipping point before becoming an even more recognized user experience and consumer standard.

Cons

The Company was founded in 2006, many years before device ubiquity or people even understood what streaming digital music was - in tandem, the industry and sector was still evolving. The only real con is that the company was first to market in 2006, which is strong positive in 2014. They've spent the time getting it right, In my opinion I don't see any cons.

Advice to Management

Don’t stop, you are redefining the industry. I couldn’t think of another brand I would want to watch succeed form the inside out. Your clarity, shared data and honesty are why you have and will succeed. With a community of nearly 30 million, I believe you and your team are doing more than a lot right. Be patient as the sector evolves, you don’t have to prove a thing when your user experience is best in class.