Grooveshark Reviews | Glassdoor

4.0
Sam Tarantino

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Chill"

I have been working at Grooveshark full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Chill company, flat management structure, easy to collaborate, lots of brilliant people.

Cons

Intense work/life balance, very young and inexperienced management. Relied almost entirely on student intern labor.

Advice to Management

Hire experienced managers, have defined goals for product teams, and don't re-iterate on the flagship product forever. Release new products.

2. "Web Dev Intern"

Former Employee - Intern in Jacksonville, FL
    Former Employee - Intern in Jacksonville, FL

Pros

Excellent employment opportunity; worked on and designed Grooveshark's new web player and downloadable app. Very hands-on for an intern. Well compensated for my efforts and many learning opportunities.

Cons

A little stressful when it comes to releases, but that comes with the job. Air of snobbishness in the employees, especially when it comes to lower level employees/interns. Complicated frameworks, needs lot of maintenance.

3. "Best place to work ever"

Pros

Best place to work ever

Cons

Company no longer exists, so there's that

Advice to Management

Let's do it again

4. "Fun place, but management has no idea what they're doing."

Former Employee - Mid Level Management in Gainesville, FL
    Former Employee - Mid Level Management in Gainesville, FL

I worked at Grooveshark full-time (More than a year)

Pros

This was a fun place to work and if you got the right people on your side you could advance your career (although you'll paid way below market value).

Cons

Management has no idea what's going on. I don't the CEO even had a grasp of who our users were, how we made money or the actual potential future of our company.

Advice to Management

Bring in professional management. Understand what's actually going on at your Company and how it works.

5. "Production Manager"

Pros

Best place ever to work in the whole world

Cons

The company shut down so it no longer exists

Advice to Management

Get the proper licensing so we can start up again

6. "Amazing Company"

Former Employee - IOS Developer in Gainesville, FL
    Former Employee - IOS Developer in Gainesville, FL

I worked at Grooveshark part-time (More than a year)

Pros

This was one of the best work experiences I could have ever asked for. The founders were great and the team that they managed to built was nothing short of the best. Can't wait to see what Sam goes on to do next.

Cons

I could not find any cons of being here. Issues within the company were addressed immediately and there was never anything but good vibes while being there. This was a place where everybody genuinely enjoying coming to work.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing. You built an excellent company that will never be forgotten. It was the best group of people I could have ever asked to work with.

7. "The greatest place to grow"

I worked at Grooveshark full-time

Pros

Grooveshark was the kind of place that hired you not based on what you knew but how smart, dedicated, and curious you were. If you wanted to learn and grow, there were no shortage of opportunities here. More of a family than anything, the bonds I made there are some of the strongest I've ever found.

Cons

Low pay, Gainesville is a hard town to be a young adult in, but otherwise no complaints about the company itself.

8. "Never made it past start up"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Gainesville, FL

I worked at Grooveshark full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Tons of freedom and flexibility to pursue projects. Flexible working hours and vacation, as long as you get your assigned projects done. Great team members - really hard working and smart people.

Cons

Very little clarity on direction and responsibility. Upper management was a mess and would mismanage resources. CEO lacked direction and focus. Most employees were overworked and doing 5 peoples jobs. Very few teams had real structure, and if they did, it was all because of one team member who took the initiative to figure it out. Employees were often rewarded for continuous hard work in stock options instead of pay raises. Resources were extremely limited across the board, so if you have a project you want to see completed, you better figure out how to do it with no money and no development time. Employees had a ceiling of how high they could climb before there's no where else to go (no significant growth opportunity after a certain point). No one talks to you about future career opportunities. Executive team was like a club with no entry.

Advice to Management

Maintain focus, treat your employees with respect.

"It's been a fun ride"

I worked at Grooveshark full-time

Pros

Best group of people I've had the opportunity to work with. So much knowledge in one place. Everyone is approachable. Plus health and dental insurance. The company does their best to take care eachother

Cons

Our pay was never that great.

10. "Awesome culture"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Gainesville, FL
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Gainesville, FL

I have been working at Grooveshark (More than a year)

Pros

Plenty of room to grow, lots of opportunities to learn. Awesome group of people always going out of their way to help others, and doing their best to make the best product possible.

Cons

Obviously the lack of future for the company.

Advice to Management

Nothing much to add here. Management did an admirable job, especially considering their lack of experience. Possibly heading more of the advice of some of the employees with more experience may have helped improve matters, although I don't think it would have changed the inevitable fate of the company.