HCPro Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

2.8
Dan Oswald

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Great mission, terrific people"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Middleton, MA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Middleton, MA

I have been working at HCPro full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

A terrific group of people who work hard to turn out products that make a difference in the market. I've been impressed by the level of cross department communication. I can count on the professionalism of each colleague. And I enjoy the collegial atmosphere and the fun we have in the office.

Cons

I'm really enjoying the job so coming up with cons is difficult. Due to a portion of the workforce being geographically disperse, you lose some of the advantages of face-to-face communication.

Advice to Management

Continue the good work.

"It's a mess"

Current Employee - Anonymous in Middleton, MA
    Current Employee - Anonymous in Middleton, MA

I have been working at HCPro full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Commute is short, don't have to wait in traffic. New building is nice, good amenities. On Thursday's you're allowed to have one beer at beer cart. New open leave policy is a plus.

Cons

Total disorganization throughout the entire company. Stemming from the "mother company" BLR right down to the other brands such as HCPro, Healthleaders Media and PSQH. It's really such a shame. Seems like company does not believe in investing in their current employees. Always looking outside instead of internally to fill open positions. Most of the time we don't even know of openings until someone happens to find it on indeed (because everyone is looking for other opportunities anyways). Leaders are untruthful and the lack of transparency within the company is frustrating. No communication between department leaders and their departments. With all the meetings required to attend, you'd think that at least one of them would be a department meeting. Wrong. There are some employees who are knowledgeable, friendly and creative but they are often overlooked by upper management. The employee turnover is alarming and so is the pay rate. It's laughable that they can even get away with disclosing "competitive salary" in their job postings.

Advice to Management

Do an overhaul

3. "Technical Writing Consultant"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Marblehead, MA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Marblehead, MA

I worked at HCPro (Less than a year)

Pros

Co-workers were intelligent, helpful, and pleasant. Project was well-organized.

Cons

None that I observed as a consultant.

"Stay away"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Danvers, MA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Danvers, MA

I have been working at HCPro full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The only thing I can say it's a short commute

Cons

Oh where to begin, management is loss, the sales are way down. no more president club very high turn over rate.
    There is a clear pecking order, lots of clicks at times it feels like your back in high school.
    Some managers are down right rude and have no problem throwing you "under the bus" to make them self look good.

Advice to Management

Clean house of upper managers people who are running it seem to be running around with their heads cut off.

"Sr. Developer"

I have been working at HCPro full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Friendly collegues, small company, laid back culture

Cons

Management needs to hear out everybody.

"Great growth potential, great products, and even better people"

Former Employee - Director of Live and Online Learning
    Former Employee - Director of Live and Online Learning

I worked at HCPro full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

HCPro has changed dramatically since November 2013 when it was acquired by BLR. The company has a clear vision, excellent staff to carry it out, and the support of leadership. Although HCPro has been around for nearly 30+ years, the recent changes and focus on building a company culture give it a start-up vibe that is really great to be a part of.

No matter your level, you are encouraged to share new ideas, improve on existing products/processes, and own your responsibilities. Nine times out of ten, I was able to implement a crazy idea I had or push for a new way of doing things. Sometimes my ideas worked and sometimes not so much. No matter what, I had the support of my manager. We celebrated the successes and learned from the mistakes.

HCPro is also a really flexible workplace. I never felt nervous asking to leave early to catch a flight for the weekend, get to a special event after work, or work from home when I had a doctor appointment. As long as you're actually working from home and performing well, the company is very flexible with its employees.

Cons

There are few cons to working at HCPro. The only thing that could sometimes be annoying was systems issues that were a result of the acquisition. Although many of the issues were ironed out, there are still many back end processes not working 100% efficiently. The good news is that everyone is aware that things are working optimally, and they are dedicated to fixing them.

"Bright future, good opportunities, great people!"

Former Employee - Conference & Events Producer in Danvers, MA
    Former Employee - Conference & Events Producer in Danvers, MA

I worked at HCPro full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

This company has gone through a lot of changes over the years and was coming out of an unstable period when I joined them in 2012, but they're currently on an upward swing and it feels like there's a lot of great momentum. Plenty of opportunities in the near future. Great people! Good work/life balance. Satisfying work.

Cons

Technologically, a bit behind but working on improvements...working with some old, inherited systems that seem to need a lot of manual attention to keep them up to date.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work! Find ways to integrate the teams a bit more. Some of the benefits could use a boost.

"A Complete Turnaround Post Acquisition: Thriving financials, improved culture, and a focus on growth and innovation"

Current Employee - Editorial in Danvers, MA
    Current Employee - Editorial in Danvers, MA

I have been working at HCPro full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

HCPro has emerged stronger than ever after suffering through massive layoffs, disconnected leadership, and a complete disregard for corporate culture. The turnaround began a couple years ago with an interim CEO and CFO that genuinely believed in the business and the employees and worked hard to improve the company's financial health so that it could be sold to a private company that would support HCPro mission to provide quality products in a positive atmosphere. The climb upward has continued with the acquisition by BLR in November 2013. There is now opportunity (and expectation) to learn new skills, contribute to strategic initiatives, participate in community service, and build collaborative relationships with colleagues.

Cons

As with any acquisition, there have been some bumps merging the businesses and some communication and IT challenges. The actual office space could be better since it's the same space we were in prior the the acquisition and we share it with another company.

"Completely changed for the better starting in 2013 with great management and successful financials"

Current Employee - Editor in Danvers, MA
    Current Employee - Editor in Danvers, MA

I have been working at HCPro full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

This company was acquired by BLR a few years ago and has improved immensely on all fronts. The leadership at BLR and the HCPro division are great, know how to run a business and treat employees well. This is not the HCPro of the past at all - been an employee since 2007 and never seen it better. Career growth is encouraged, leadership is transparent, business is growing on all fronts, and employee perks like flexible time management, weekly "happy hours" during work hours, monthly breakfasts, and honestly genuine and intelligent people to work with make for a pleasant environment.

Cons

Very few since 2013/2014 - leadership is aggressive with new ideas, so sometimes there's quite a lot to do, but this offers opportunities to explore skills as well.

"Used to be a great place to work."

I worked at HCPro full-time

Pros

The people were wonderful to work with.

Cons

A continuous downward spiral over the last several years has resulted in a company that's lost its identity and its joy.

Advice to Management

Communicate. And listen to your people.