HCT Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

1.8
Rating Trends Rating Trends
CEO

Pros
  • they gave us good salary and good benefits like health insurance, free accomodations, cellular phone as we landed in the airport (in 6 reviews)

• Good salary and benefits, although newer employees are offered different contracts to existing employees as the benefits system has changed (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • New upper management installed last year has destroyed the teaching/learning environment for all (in 9 reviews)

• Rounds of unexplained employment terminations; complete lack of job security; senior management who treat academics like factory workers (in 8 reviews)

"Upper management merry-go-round"

I worked at HCT full-time

Pros

Compensation package was nice and tax-free income made it even better. Although benefits have been cut from what I've heard.

Cons

Students with "wasta" (aka "connections") were capable of rallying together to get teachers terminated; full-on regime changes were very frequent and academic directors only stayed a few months at a time.

Advice to Management

Hire and retain qualified educators with proven cultural experience and results; don't only seek PHD's at all costs. Also, when handling student complaints - maintain neutrality and wait to forming an opinion until investigating...all too often students had the ability to shift policy and push-out anyone/anything that increased student work-load (especially if it involved stricter attendance, or increased amount of writing/homework).

"Fire the VC"

I worked at HCT full-time

Pros

Colleagues, in many cases; students, for the most part.

Cons

Arrogant and clueless upper management.

Advice to Management

Review (the) title

"Deteriorating"

Pros

Used to be better before...

Cons

No respect for teachers; keep changing curricula every year, dont know what they want to do...

Advice to Management

Micromanagement will get you nowhere. Empower the professionals that are emplyed

"Worst company ever!"

I have been working at HCT (More than 3 years)

Pros

Maybe pay when they don't cheat you. THey have many ways to decrease your pay or change it.

Cons

Everything, so unhappy working there with the down communication and disrespectful attitude.

Advice to Management

Hire professionals in the office that keep their word. Making promises and not following through is a port business practice.

"Middle East Employer"

I worked at HCT full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Faculty from around the world, wonderful place from which to explore the world, the students are welcoming. Recent changes in compensation policies make the job less desirable.

Cons

Administrative red-tape, regime and policy changes, the general turmoil in the Middle East has made the location and travel in the area much less attractive.

"Working at the HCT was a roller coaster in both good and bad ways, and I really enjoyed working there.""

Pros

Many people at the institution are committed to student success, and the students themselves are amazing. It was a privilege to associate with them and to be part of their education.

Cons

Policy and personnel changed more than most of us enjoyed. Job security seemed non-existent, even among the most excellent faculty and management.

Advice to Management

I can't really advise the top managers. The vast majority of employees are from outside the UAE, and as an outsider myself, I can't judge their actions. They know what is best for their own people, and they have a huge responsibility to the younger generation.

8. "Project Manager"

Current Employee - Project Manager
    Current Employee - Project Manager

I have been working at HCT full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Nice place to work with friendly environment.

Cons

No job promotion or effort recognition or annual bonus.

Advice to Management

Focus on employees and training's to develop their skills.

9. "Faculty"

Pros

A very respectful place to work at

Cons

Takes so long to get hired

"Professor in C E and Mathematics"

Former Employee - Professor in Muscat (Oman)
    Former Employee - Professor in Muscat (Oman)

I worked at HCT full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Its fun to teach in other countries. I really treasure my experiences in dealing with other nationality.
    they gave us good salary and good benefits like health insurance, free accomodations, cellular phone as we landed in the airport. etc.

Cons

The new management is an anti expats, racist and he don't usually to our opinios. He does not want us to give failing grades to students even they perform very poor and seldom attend their classes.

Advice to Management

Please listen to you faculty members why the students deserve the failing grades. Be fair to everybody and be approachable to the expats worker because your employees are no longer enjoying their jobs unlike the previous administrator.

"A Shocking Place to Work Right Now."

I worked at HCT full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Students for the majority of the time, most colleagues.

Cons

Rounds of unexplained employment terminations; complete lack of job security; senior management who treat academics like factory workers. Continual threats to jobs, salaries, yet management say they want to retain staff. This is blatantly untrue.

Advice to Management

Leave. You've destroyed the place.