Hello Innovation Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated September 6, 2018

3.9
Joe Joachim

Sort: PopularRatingDate

"Not for everyone but perfect for a few"

I have been working at Hello Innovation full-time

Pros

This is a company that’s driven by purpose. We are out to change the world by solving problems (that we care about) in ways that have never been done before. We are not driven by revenue. Build great products and solutions and the revenue becomes incidental. I’ve personally been in several meetings and discussions where millions of dollars have been thrown at us, but we turned those things down as they didn’t align with our ultimate purpose and what we’ve set out to do.

The environment is high-paced, ever-changing, and always challenging. You’ll never find a place where you can learn more than you do here. Continual learning is a core part of our culture, and it’s encouraged (better word might be “required”) to take time to learn.

Honest and direct feedback is another core component of who we are…and it’s not something that happens behind closed doors. And that feedback is always given as a way for everyone understand what could have been done differently that may have produced a better solution.

And never assuming anything is something that is drilled into everyone here. And though that has become somewhat of a cliche…I assure you it’s VERY real here. It sounds easy on the surface, but where most people fail is not taking the “anything” piece of it in a literal way. Not many are naturally wired to not assume something that worked amazingly well in the past will also work amazingly well in the future. And though that assumption may indeed be correct, it also assumes that there is no better way to do it. This was one of the biggest challenges for me to change in how I think.

The CEO, most importantly in my opinion, is a good person. He really does care about people and is wired in a way that he literally can’t NOT help you in any way possible. You never have to ask. If he senses or hears about a problem you are having (personal or professional)…he will come to you offering help. And this sometimes does actually get in the way. I could list several times that things that have come up, usually in people’s personal lives, where he literally drops everything he’s doing and dives in to focus on helping.

From a purely professional perspective, the CEO is very involved at every level. Some perceive that as micro-managing, and in some ways…that is correct. But the typical understanding people have about micro-management will paint the wrong picture in your mind. I’ve learned it’s a matter of perspective. When you see something that you can add value to or help with…don’t you want to get involved? Joey is very good at what he does, and consumes information faster than anyone you’ve ever met. And when he gets involved, its to help make things better. He knows where he can help and jumps in to do that.

There is no bureaucracy. There is no red tape. There are no hoops to jump through when you work here. You have direct access to anyone in the company (CEO included of course).

From an advancement and compensation standpoint…there is huge opportunity for both. But unlike other companies, neither happen based on how long you’ve been here. It’s all about performance and attitude. Raises are always significant (10%-30% increase). Nobody is locked into a role that can never change. Advancement is always the output of performance, desire, aptitude, and interest.

Cons

Everything I listed in the “Pros” section could go into this “Cons” section. It’s really just a matter of how you view it.

Not only is this not a place for everyone…frankly, it’s a place for very few. There are high expectations at all times. You will never get comfortable in what you are doing, or how you are approaching problems and solutions. Comfort leads to complacency which leads to mediocracy which leads to failure. Innovation does not happen when you are “comfortable”.

I’ve seen several people come and go. And those that go simply were not able to function in this environment. And at the core, I believe it’s just that their heart wasn’t in it. I cannot stress enough that you must align with the company vision in a very real way. I also believe that is not something that you can “learn to align with”. You either will or won’t…before you even start.

There are a lot of perks (several mentioned in other reviews, so I’ll spare writing the same list). But ultimately, it comes down to people and mindset. Those that buy into the vision, want to play a role in achieving that, and are willing to do what it takes will thrive. Those that are here for the toys, free stuff, shiny objects, and a good paycheck will not. If you do not align in a real and personal way with what we are doing…you will never make it here.

Those that are too set in their ways; those that will not accept that there might be a better way, even the current way is great; those that are unwilling to continually learn; those that want to just punch the clock and get a paycheck; those that want to do the same things in the same ways they always have; those that are easily offended or cannot take direct feedback with an honest and positive attitude….those people never have or never will be a good fit.

Advice to Management

Add a bit more structure - but don’t stifle innovation. Find a lot more people that align with what you are doing. Get rid of those that don’t.

2. "Customer Care Specialist"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Detroit, MI

I have been working at Hello Innovation full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The office is amazing and it is a very laid back atmosphere. If you aren't self disciplined or easily distracted, this is not the place for you

Cons

Inconsistent Schedule. Customer service doesn't receive as much down time as other departments

Advice to Management

Try to make it so customer service gets the same treatment as far as holidays off like the rest of the company

"Great Opportunity to Learn & Grow!"

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Detroit, MI
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Detroit, MI

I worked at Hello Innovation full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Working there was a lot of fun! Not only did I have great, like-minded Co-Workers, but I left having a lot of friends too. There was not a day that I left work not feeling inspired. The team was great and I could tell they really care about their employees happiness and wellbeing.

Working in Customer Care, I appreciated that the options to resolve customer issues were endless, making it easy to come to a resolution. Having had previous Customer Service experience, I know that not every company allows you that freedom or cares as much about their customers' happiness.

Cons

Living quite far outside of the city, I did have a long commute. We were really busy, so there was a heavy work load, but that only meant that business was booming.

Advice to Management

I loved the Management / Leadership team at Hello Innovation. I received a lot of training and one-on-one time to ensure my development as an employee and as a person as a whole. They care about the success and happiness of their employees and it makes a difference. I worked in Customer Service, but showing my interest in the Creative Team projects allowed me to help collaborate with different departments during downtime. I love that everyday here was a little bit different.

4. "QA Tester"

I worked at Hello Innovation full-time

Pros

goog work environment and benefits

Cons

not good communications and doesn't care to stuff much

Advice to Management

could be more helpfull

"Customer care"

I worked at Hello Innovation part-time

Pros

Good pay, friendly people. Fun environment

Cons

The hiring process could've been a lot better

Advice to Management

Better hiring process.

"All Surface, Not much Substance"

Former Employee - Comfort Care Specialist in Detroit, MI
    Former Employee - Comfort Care Specialist in Detroit, MI

I worked at Hello Innovation full-time (More than a year)

Pros

More toys than you can count. Cool location. Decent Benefits & Free food.

Cons

Like many people. I go to work to work. Not to play. That's what my days off are for. Especially when work is over an hour away from home. Customer service and tech support are treated as the 'red headed step children' here. The creative folk are invited to play a round of ping pong, or anything they may want on the Xbone, while those of us who are there to work are expected to do so, even when they're ducking ping pong balls. The owner micro manages, but only sporadically. I witnessed staff being reprimanded for taking breaks, if they weren't smokers.

I was assigned a project to create a training guide/introduction to the customer service department, and then shortly after I completed that assignment, and had trained 2 new staff members, I was terminated.

Advice to Management

Spend less time decorating the office, and more time actually understanding how your products work/don't work for your customers.

"Passionate Company for Passionate People"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Detroit, MI

I have been working at Hello Innovation full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I've been working with Hello Innovation for a few years now. It is by far the best company I have worked for. Does it have problems? Of course. All companies have problems. Biggest difference is that at Hello Innovation you are empowered to change what is wrong and create your own destiny. Really frustrating for people looking for 9-to-5 job, amazing for people that want to make a difference and become better every single day.

Among other things, I can mention that no time-off request was ever denied, the people here are truly amazing, compensation is above average and there is no limit (everyone grows as the company grow, and as they grow - don't expect raises if you keep doing the same things, but huge bumps on compensation are common when people step up and start to have more responsibilities and getting things done).

Cons

Hello Innovation is an unique company - everyone is constantly challenged. You will be questioned, but not in a bad way. So this can be tough or frustrating at some points if you don't truly understand the reason (make sure you looked at the problem from all possible angles and have 100% confidence on your solution).

Advice to Management

Hope you find the needed pieces to make this an even better company!

"Run, run far away."

Former Employee - Marketing in Detroit, MI
    Former Employee - Marketing in Detroit, MI

I worked at Hello Innovation full-time (More than a year)

Pros

No dress code
    Lunches provided every so often
    Talented Co-workers

Cons

There are too many negative things to list so I'll stick to the main ones. At first they promise you an amazing career here and make you feel so lucky to have been chosen; a month in reality hits. There is no job security here. There is no room for growth. You are brought on for a "two week trial period" which typically lasts 6 months or more (if you make it that long.) During my time here I saw more than half of the staff let go; reason being "you weren't a fit." There is no HR, there are no reviews, there is no one to go to with issues and if you ask questions you are considered weak and will probably be fired for it. The CEO believes he is an expert at everything and will make that known to you regardless of how much training and experience you have. After leaving H.I. I finally saw how bad of a reputation they have, even to the point I was told I shouldn't say I worked for them. The new position I took was less stressful, great job security and paid $20k more. Notice how most of the positive reviews on here sound similar? That's because the marketing department writes them. Do yourself a favor and look elsewhere.

Advice to Management

To the CEO- I don't know how you sleep at night knowing how many individuals and families you've negatively impacted without reason or notice. High turn over rates are a reflection of YOU, not your employee. I've seen extremely talented people work there, way more talented than you, yet you don't give them a chance or credit where credit is due. You'd really benefit from classes on how to successfully run a business. Best of luck, you'll need it.

"Rock-stars do apply here!"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Detroit, MI
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Detroit, MI

I worked at Hello Innovation full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Plenty of Pro's. Not for everyone, if you don't have a "Let's get stuff done" attitude and don't like working on lots of different things H.I. might not be the company for you. Lots of job openings, open to talent of all backgrounds and experience levels. They are looking for good people, not necessarily perfectly crafted resumes and LinkedIn profiles. Was my first Software Development Job. CTO and Engineering staff took me under their wing immediately. Lots of perks. Balloons on the first day (CEO buys the company pizza for lunch your first day, to celebrate YOU coming on board!), they really made me feel like they were happy to have me work there. Pizza or catering everyday, Tigers games, lunch cookouts, company outings. Always something going on. Flexible work schedule. Talented leadership. I can't speak for everyone, but this being my first job strictly in a software development role, it was tough to know what to expect. If it wasn't for a dream job move (my wife's) I'd still be happily employed at H.I. I still am in contact weekly (if not daily) with the friends I made at H.I. The CEO knows me by name, and did the first day of work. Try and find that in today's thick bureaucratic corporate system. CTO and staff left me awesome references to get me hired into my new role in a different city. If you are on the fence about joining the team, let this review push to do it!

Cons

Nothing outside of the normal. Not everyone gets a long in any office environment, or even finds their niche. Unfortunately, the ones that can't hack it seem to make their way onto the internet to complain. They don't seem to last long at H.I.

Advice to Management

H.I. had basically dominated their core markets when I came on board. It seemed like there were a lot of new projects trying to get going all at once, which can overload the Admin of even the greatest organization. My advice would be to continue to hire top people, and to take each new project on one (or a couple) at a time to completion even if you have to Rhino Principle it. It's tough to give advice to a dynamic 30 something CEO who built the company from scratch, is dominating the market and buys Ferrari's with cash (his not the companies)......

"Rockstar Company Culture in Riveting Work Environment! * Incredible Group of People. *"

Current Employee - Executive Assistant in Detroit, MI
    Current Employee - Executive Assistant in Detroit, MI

I have been working at Hello Innovation full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Incredible, challenging environment with great opportunity for personal and professional growth. Fun and colorful office with lots of perks (coffee! snacks! lunches!) Really collaborative group of hard working coworkers who are passionate about growth and development.

Cons

I love working here so much I feel like working on nights and weekends. Not for the faint at heart or lazy.. definitely need to be motivated and passionate or go home.