High Point University Reviews | Glassdoor

3.4
High Point University President Nido R. Qubein
Nido R. Qubein

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Beautiful campus, friendly staff and faculty, amazing facilities (in 15 reviews)

• Amazing benefits, great people to work with, paid time off, holidays frequent, great experience for young professionals and great mentor to work under (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • staff are treated as 2nd class citizens in comparison to faculty, low pay (in 6 reviews)

• And HR doesn't think that threatening to strangle employees is a hostile work environment, so good luck getting any help improving the conditions (in 4 reviews)

1. "Administrative staff"

I worked at High Point University full-time

Pros

Beautiful campus, friendly staff and faculty, amazing facilities

Cons

Very limited vacation time during first 10 years of employment, not many career advancement opportunities

2. "Security Department"

Current Employee - Security Officer in High Point, NC
    Current Employee - Security Officer in High Point, NC

I have been working at High Point University (More than 8 years)

Pros

great people to work with

Cons

upper management is all about themselves

3. "Training Specialist"

Former Employee - IT Specialist in High Point, NC
    Former Employee - IT Specialist in High Point, NC

I worked at High Point University full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great Campus and good perks.

Cons

Low pay, and the President tells how much money he raises as he announces a 1% COLA.

Advice to Management

Invest in your staff and faculty to create the culture you demand.

"University totally revamped 10 years ago. More physical growth than academic experience."

I have been working at High Point University full-time

Pros

Congenial atmosphere. Lovely physical plant. Holiday bonus. Yearly gift like jackets, ipads etc

Cons

Not a lot of support for depth of academics. Strong focus on admissions correlating to dollars. Singular vision with little room for other voices. It's the administrations university, not the students.

Advice to Management

Allow the students to shape their own experience. Real compensation for faculty and staff. Focus more on academic experience rather than pretty buildings.

"Admissions"

Former Employee - Admissions
    Former Employee - Admissions

I worked at High Point University full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

coworkers are fantastic, employee wellness works hard to improve employment experience. added "gifts" throughout the year - campus cash, xmas bonus, welcome back gifts
    you will learn some skills that will be highly valued at other institutions when you move on

Cons

mentality of this is how we did it for the last 10 years so why change even though things are no longer working.
    leadership has no previous experience in higher education and is very disconnected with recruiting teenagers in 2010s
    You are told you are a manager of your territory but really your job is to just do as you are told and make 100s of phone calls constantly.
    The hours: avg hours per week range from 40-80 and you are expected to put the university above all else
    extremely high turnover - avg of 1 person every 6 weeks for the past several years
    below to avg salary
    department has essentially become a call center, its all selling and very little counseling

Advice to Management

Listen to your QEP - GROWTH MINDSET. what you did worked and it worked well, no one is arguing that, but you refuse to grow. You cannot sell the same exact product, the same way you sold it 10 years ago.
    Listen to the people who talk with families day in and day out, they may be young but they actually have the pulse of your customers.
    Leadership's planning clearly isnt working.
    Actually offer some work/life balance so your staff doesnt burn out and continue to quit after 1-2 years. Offer actual professional development. Offer (like every other school in the country) staff to take classes to improve professionally. This may be shocking but it may actually help staff retention AND bring new ideas to the school

6. "designer"

I worked at High Point University full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

friendly, communitive, helpful, supportive, fluid

Cons

common conflicts within department teams

7. "Good Management"

I have been working at High Point University part-time

Pros

Very flexible schedule, Outgoing bosses

Cons

Minimum wage, Very little hours

8. "Chef"

Former Employee - Chef in High Point, NC
    Former Employee - Chef in High Point, NC

I worked at High Point University full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I absolutely loved providing one-hundred percent customer satisfaction. It was my passion to go above and beyond the call of duty to serve our clients.

Cons

I would desire more team work for the outcome of our clients, and less employee and management turn over.

Advice to Management

I truly enjoyed working at my job, but we had managers over riding other managers decisions. My only advice would be if you hire a manager, trust him/her to do their job.

"Shuttle Driver"

Former Employee - Shuttle Driver in High Point, NC
    Former Employee - Shuttle Driver in High Point, NC

I worked at High Point University part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great comradire with co-workers. Work was easy. Free meals.

Cons

Manager stinks. Human Resources useless. Extraordinary claims are false. Overindulged students and their parents money run the school. No rules if you have money. One call from mommy and they get what the want.

Advice to Management

Treat everyone the same, no favoritism for their special buddies. Human Resources is apparently afraid of someone in Security / Transportation. If families knew the real truth behind all the fru-fru buildings and useless amenities HPU would soon be out of the education business. Not For Profit school, ha! Preparing students for life, ha. If they expect from life what this school is selling, they're in for huge disappointment.

10. "Love it!"

I have been working at High Point University full-time (More than a year)

Pros

High Point University treats all employees with respect, dignity, and responsibility. We are very well taken care of. We have reasonable vacation/personal time and are often given gifts throughout the year! It is such a beautiful place to work!

Cons

The starting pay is low, but the ability to increase is available.