High Point University Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

3.4
Rating Trends Rating Trends
CEO

Pros
  • Beautiful campus, good pay for adjunct work, good colleagues (in 14 reviews)

• Flexible hours, kind faculty and staff (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • While this can sometimes be a great thing, it does seem to impact the mindsets of the students, faculty and staff in negative ways as well (in 4 reviews)

• staff are treated as 2nd class citizens in comparison to faculty, low pay (in 5 reviews)

1. "Good Management"

I have been working at High Point University part-time

Pros

Very flexible schedule, Outgoing bosses

Cons

Minimum wage, Very little hours

2. "Chef"

Former Employee - Chef in High Point, NC
    Former Employee - Chef in High Point, NC

I worked at High Point University full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I absolutely loved providing one-hundred percent customer satisfaction. It was my passion to go above and beyond the call of duty to serve our clients.

Cons

I would desire more team work for the outcome of our clients, and less employee and management turn over.

Advice to Management

I truly enjoyed working at my job, but we had managers over riding other managers decisions. My only advice would be if you hire a manager, trust him/her to do their job.

"Shuttle Driver"

Former Employee - Shuttle Driver in High Point, NC
    Former Employee - Shuttle Driver in High Point, NC

I worked at High Point University part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great comradire with co-workers. Work was easy. Free meals.

Cons

Manager stinks. Human Resources useless. Extraordinary claims are false. Overindulged students and their parents money run the school. No rules if you have money. One call from mommy and they get what the want.

Advice to Management

Treat everyone the same, no favoritism for their special buddies. Human Resources is apparently afraid of someone in Security / Transportation. If families knew the real truth behind all the fru-fru buildings and useless amenities HPU would soon be out of the education business. Not For Profit school, ha! Preparing students for life, ha. If they expect from life what this school is selling, they're in for huge disappointment.

5. "Love it!"

I have been working at High Point University full-time (More than a year)

Pros

High Point University treats all employees with respect, dignity, and responsibility. We are very well taken care of. We have reasonable vacation/personal time and are often given gifts throughout the year! It is such a beautiful place to work!

Cons

The starting pay is low, but the ability to increase is available.

"Administration Employee"

Pros

Jobs are usually secure no matter how hard a person works..

Cons

They don't fire people who should be fired, therefore, morale drops.

7. "Adjunct Professor"

Pros

Growing at more than 5% rate per year. Very good students to work with

Cons

HPU does not have PhD program

Advice to Management

Need more training for new courses and majors for professors.

8. "Assistant Director of Sports Marketing"

Pros

Great facilities, wellness center and program for employees, and a family atmosphere.

Cons

Long hours, variety of challenges.

"Avoid IT at all costs"

Former Employee - Enterprise Applications Specialist in High Point, NC
    Former Employee - Enterprise Applications Specialist in High Point, NC

I worked at High Point University full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The cafeteria is pretty legit, they serve ice cream every day. The people around campus are generally nice to work with, and there is a lot of pretty decent free HPU swag. I would still be there if I worked in another department. Campus is also beautiful, but it is hard to enjoy the flowers if you're being abused in IT.

Cons

IT is terrible. There are not words for how bad IT has become in the last 3 years. Top level management is dreadful; they are unable to manage projects, train employees, retain knowledge, or provide for the needs of campus. The treatment of employees is deplorable. Employees are cussed out, the CIO constantly threats to fire people or strangle them, and staff are regularly subjected to inappropriate, unprofessional, and abusive rants, both in person and via email. Also, don't expect to ever know when you will be allowed to go home every day (that's right, you're an adult but you're not allowed to leave if a team member is working on a problem that you have nothing to do with). As a result of poor project management and insanely high turnover (well over 50% at my last count), something is on fire literally every day. If you arrive at 8:30 and leave at 5, you will be publicly humiliated. And HR doesn't think that threatening to strangle employees is a hostile work environment, so good luck getting any help improving the conditions.

Basically, if you want to be treated like a human being and advance your career at the same time, while also not becoming an alcoholic, look somewhere else.

Advice to Management

Fire the CIO and get someone in there to improve moral. The turnover rate is so high that I can't imagine why upper management isn't seeing red flags right and left! Not to mention nothing is being accomplished, even with some of the brightest and hardest working coworkers I have ever had. Of course, dozens of people have said this in exit interviews and complaints to HR, but nothing has changed... The incompetence must go all the way to the top.

"be prepared to become a crusader"

Pros

The culture is amazing. The vision, mission, and strategy are very clearly communicated, and it is very easy to know how you are supposed to behave to excel. People show genuine caring about their employer and their colleagues. Benefits are good, and depending on your department the work is somewhat seasonal.

Cons

They have a less than wonderful number of vacation days allotted, and the number does not increase quickly enough. Pay was significantly below the national average for equivalent positions.

Expect to dedicate your life to your position if you want to be successful. The university expects zealous crusaders, not just 9am to 5pm employees.

Advice to Management

I do not believe that management does this intentionally. In all hands meetings, management consistently communicated a message that was perceived as "you should be grateful to the university for giving you a job" which rubs people (particularly some academicians) the wrong way. Make a point of expressing that it's a two-way street. The university leadership is grateful to the employees for choosing to work there just as much as the employees are grateful to work there.

11. "Part time"

Pros

Nice perks and flexible hours

Cons

Poor organization or communication at times

Advice to Management

Better training