High Point University Reviews | Glassdoor

3.4
High Point University President Nido R. Qubein
Nido R. Qubein

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Beautiful campus, good pay for adjunct work, good colleagues (in 14 reviews)

• Flexible hours, kind faculty and staff (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • And HR doesn't think that threatening to strangle employees is a hostile work environment, so good luck getting any help improving the conditions (in 4 reviews)

• There were no cons during my time (in 3 reviews)

1. "designer"

I worked at High Point University full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

friendly, communitive, helpful, supportive, fluid

Cons

common conflicts within department teams

"University totally revamped 10 years ago. More physical growth than academic experience."

I have been working at High Point University full-time

Pros

Congenial atmosphere. Lovely physical plant. Holiday bonus. Yearly gift like jackets, ipads etc

Cons

Not a lot of support for depth of academics. Strong focus on admissions correlating to dollars. Singular vision with little room for other voices. It's the administrations university, not the students.

Advice to Management

Allow the students to shape their own experience. Real compensation for faculty and staff. Focus more on academic experience rather than pretty buildings.

"Admissions"

Former Employee - Admissions
    Former Employee - Admissions

I worked at High Point University full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

coworkers are fantastic, employee wellness works hard to improve employment experience. added "gifts" throughout the year - campus cash, xmas bonus, welcome back gifts
    you will learn some skills that will be highly valued at other institutions when you move on

Cons

mentality of this is how we did it for the last 10 years so why change even though things are no longer working.
    leadership has no previous experience in higher education and is very disconnected with recruiting teenagers in 2010s
    You are told you are a manager of your territory but really your job is to just do as you are told and make 100s of phone calls constantly.
    The hours: avg hours per week range from 40-80 and you are expected to put the university above all else
    extremely high turnover - avg of 1 person every 6 weeks for the past several years
    below to avg salary
    department has essentially become a call center, its all selling and very little counseling

Advice to Management

Listen to your QEP - GROWTH MINDSET. what you did worked and it worked well, no one is arguing that, but you refuse to grow. You cannot sell the same exact product, the same way you sold it 10 years ago.
    Listen to the people who talk with families day in and day out, they may be young but they actually have the pulse of your customers.
    Leadership's planning clearly isnt working.
    Actually offer some work/life balance so your staff doesnt burn out and continue to quit after 1-2 years. Offer actual professional development. Offer (like every other school in the country) staff to take classes to improve professionally. This may be shocking but it may actually help staff retention AND bring new ideas to the school

4. "Good Management"

I have been working at High Point University part-time

Pros

Very flexible schedule, Outgoing bosses

Cons

Minimum wage, Very little hours

5. "Chef"

Former Employee - Chef in High Point, NC
    Former Employee - Chef in High Point, NC

I worked at High Point University full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I absolutely loved providing one-hundred percent customer satisfaction. It was my passion to go above and beyond the call of duty to serve our clients.

Cons

I would desire more team work for the outcome of our clients, and less employee and management turn over.

Advice to Management

I truly enjoyed working at my job, but we had managers over riding other managers decisions. My only advice would be if you hire a manager, trust him/her to do their job.

"Shuttle Driver"

Former Employee - Shuttle Driver in High Point, NC
    Former Employee - Shuttle Driver in High Point, NC

I worked at High Point University part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great comradire with co-workers. Work was easy. Free meals.

Cons

Manager stinks. Human Resources useless. Extraordinary claims are false. Overindulged students and their parents money run the school. No rules if you have money. One call from mommy and they get what the want.

Advice to Management

Treat everyone the same, no favoritism for their special buddies. Human Resources is apparently afraid of someone in Security / Transportation. If families knew the real truth behind all the fru-fru buildings and useless amenities HPU would soon be out of the education business. Not For Profit school, ha! Preparing students for life, ha. If they expect from life what this school is selling, they're in for huge disappointment.

7. "Love it!"

I have been working at High Point University full-time (More than a year)

Pros

High Point University treats all employees with respect, dignity, and responsibility. We are very well taken care of. We have reasonable vacation/personal time and are often given gifts throughout the year! It is such a beautiful place to work!

Cons

The starting pay is low, but the ability to increase is available.

"Administration Employee"

Pros

Jobs are usually secure no matter how hard a person works..

Cons

They don't fire people who should be fired, therefore, morale drops.

9. "Adjunct Professor"

Pros

Growing at more than 5% rate per year. Very good students to work with

Cons

HPU does not have PhD program

Advice to Management

Need more training for new courses and majors for professors.

"Avoid IT at all costs"

Former Employee - Enterprise Applications Specialist in High Point, NC
    Former Employee - Enterprise Applications Specialist in High Point, NC

I worked at High Point University full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The cafeteria is pretty legit, they serve ice cream every day. The people around campus are generally nice to work with, and there is a lot of pretty decent free HPU swag. I would still be there if I worked in another department. Campus is also beautiful, but it is hard to enjoy the flowers if you're being abused in IT.

Cons

IT is terrible. There are not words for how bad IT has become in the last 3 years. Top level management is dreadful; they are unable to manage projects, train employees, retain knowledge, or provide for the needs of campus. The treatment of employees is deplorable. Employees are cussed out, the CIO constantly threats to fire people or strangle them, and staff are regularly subjected to inappropriate, unprofessional, and abusive rants, both in person and via email. Also, don't expect to ever know when you will be allowed to go home every day (that's right, you're an adult but you're not allowed to leave if a team member is working on a problem that you have nothing to do with). As a result of poor project management and insanely high turnover (well over 50% at my last count), something is on fire literally every day. If you arrive at 8:30 and leave at 5, you will be publicly humiliated. And HR doesn't think that threatening to strangle employees is a hostile work environment, so good luck getting any help improving the conditions.

Basically, if you want to be treated like a human being and advance your career at the same time, while also not becoming an alcoholic, look somewhere else.

Advice to Management

Fire the CIO and get someone in there to improve moral. The turnover rate is so high that I can't imagine why upper management isn't seeing red flags right and left! Not to mention nothing is being accomplished, even with some of the brightest and hardest working coworkers I have ever had. Of course, dozens of people have said this in exit interviews and complaints to HR, but nothing has changed... The incompetence must go all the way to the top.