HubPages Reviews | Glassdoor

Paul Edmondson

1. "Online Author"

Current Employee - Online Author in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Online Author in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at HubPages (More than a year)

Pros

Pro's are that you can do this job whenever you would like. I have met a lot of nice and talented writers.

Cons

The only con I have is when I have a writer's block :)

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work

2. "Great for Portfolio Building"

Current Employee - Writer in Riverside, CA
    Current Employee - Writer in Riverside, CA

Pros

First, to be clear: I am _not_ employed by HubPages. I am a freelance writer who established my HubPages account in 2010 (earning spot #24 on HP's "Top 100 New Hubbers for 2010" list). I can choose if and when I wish to create content for publication on the site. I may or may not gain earnings from associated advertising included with my articles.

That being said, HubPages is a great place to hone your writing chops and create a collection of pieces forming an online portfolio of sorts. You choose your own topics, article lengths, and accompanying images. As long as you pass editorial and formatting requirements, your work will be up for the world to see, and community members will gladly share their thoughts with you regarding your work. It also serves nicely as a place to try out writing ideas that have been itching the back of your brain. I tend to think of HubPages as a self-conducted online writing workshop that also delivers the benefits of being part of a writing community.

As this is a remote gig, you can write from practically anywhere (dependent, of course, upon any of HP's current terms of service).

Although I now spend the bulk of my time writing for (paying) clients, I still keep my account open at HP and continue to enjoy good traffic there. Overall, writing on HubPages has been a helpful and enriching experience.

Don't count on HP ad revenue to serve as full-time pay. Some may view that point as a "Con," but personally, I have not relied upon HP as an income source, as I see the HP experience more as an opportunity to fine-tune work habits and flesh out new ideas. I mention it here merely as an advisory to writers expecting to rake in big cash via HP.

However, being afforded an online repository of completed works to share with prospective clients as a portfolio is itself a good value, which is why HP earns five stars from me in Career Opportunities.

Cons

- Management--and therefore, policy--does seem to have a bit of a revolving door issue, which can be somewhat unsettling.
    - Sad that the many awards and accolades I and other writers have earned over the past many years have disappeared into thin air since the latest management redesign decided it was no longer valuable to post writer-earned awards for readers to see on individual articles.
    - Not so much a "Con" as a "Dismayed" is this: as HubPages diversifies a bit, some of my (and other writers') pieces are being moved to different domains. This relocation was communicated to me in a congratulatory message as a positive promotion, but the sites to which the pieces are being moved seem to have less brand recognition than the HubPages name enjoys.

Advice to Management

Thanks for the opportunity to publish on your site. Perhaps reconsider the removal of award notifications from individual articles. It's helpful for us authors when readers can see the piece they're looking at won an Editor's Choice or Hub of the Day award.

3. "Network Curator and Editor"

I have been working at HubPages part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Awesome people, flexible schedule, remote option. Company lunches, transparent upper management, great work/life balance. The culture surrounding the office is really nice. Free coffee, beer/cider. Medical Reimbursement plan. Learn a lot from editing thousands of informational articles.

Cons

Lots of grey area to navigate through, repetitive responsibilities. Office near UC Berkeley (parking is impossible or expensive). Seems to be high-turnover.

Advice to Management

I don't really have much to say here, to be honest. I really like working here.

"Terrible place to write for"

Current Freelancer - Anonymous Freelancer
    Current Freelancer - Anonymous Freelancer

Pros

get to write about things you like and that you find interesting.. not many pros, its a frustrating time writing and writing and getting it unpublished!

Cons

But it doesn't get published. When you spend a lot of time writing your own stuff, it duplicates you on the internet. what a waste of time!!!

"Although the PayPal with this is frustrating to deal with, the process of writing for Hubpages is easy to follow."

Current Employee - Freelance Writer in Tucson, AZ
    Current Employee - Freelance Writer in Tucson, AZ

I have been working at HubPages part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The site is filled with interesting articles, you can publish anything you want, and the site keeps in contact with you.

Cons

The PayPal is difficult to deal with, the banking settings on the site are hard to understand and there isn't much money with it if you write on topics that aren't mainstream.

Advice to Management

Please add more tips on how to do the banking and other financial parts of the site when you sign in.

"Fantastic team."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I worked at HubPages full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

This team is low drama with reasonable hours and tolerance for flexible working times and locations (e.g. many employees would work from home when sick, waiting for home repair, or on a certain day of the week). Even grave emergencies are met with calm optimism and measured, logical problem solving. The benefits are top drawer.

Cons

Resources for new projects are limited, but when is this *not* the case?

Advice to Management

Keep it up, you awesome people.

"Good work life balance, fair employers"

Pros

Fair employers. Really good work life balance

Cons

The business is not doing well at all

"The best company that I ever worked at -- really enjoyed working there."

Former Employee - Developer in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Developer in San Francisco, CA

I worked at HubPages full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The founders are brilliant and very nice. Paul Edmondson created a real close environment where he shared company information and really made everyone feel a part of his vision.

Cons

It's a tough market. Google tweaks their search algorithm and web traffic changes drastically. It makes it very hard to know how everything will go.

Advice to Management

Believe in your talent and your vision! You have great people! You have unbelievable talent! If you stay the course, you will jump to the next level of web traffic!