Human Movement Reviews | Glassdoor

Jeff Suffolk

1. "Five Years In"

Current Employee - Series Director in Louisville, CO
    Current Employee - Series Director in Louisville, CO

I have been working at Human Movement full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The pros are the employees who were here early were able to shape a culture and direction of the company. We grew through rocket speed growth and through an amazing acquisition. The company recently moved to a new office location that is getting renovated, but still has the start-up charm that the company was built on.

Cons

The company still requires a ton of energy and passion. It is not a job where you can simply crank out widgets and do business as usual. That can be draining to be at your best every weekend but the end result is rewarding.

Advice to Management

This company was built on passion and culture. Keep that the focus and we will never lose. Culture eats strategy for breakfast :)

"hmmmmm"

Pros

You may have the option of putting on fun events around the US. You have the opportunity to be creative.

Cons

Time at HMM is measured not in months or years but in how many rounds of layoffs you have undergone. The company's numbers swell then are purged every 18 months or so. First it was the remnants of the Color Run. Then the purge after Atlas Race, Corner Store, Foam Fest, 5k Dance Party, Movies in the Park, and Brew and View all went belly up. Most recently has been the result of lack of ticket sales, lack of large scale events proposed, and events like DirtyBird, Zombie Run, and out of state Oktoberfest going belly up.
    Like Hydra, HMM somehow is able to slither back into existence even when it would appear dead. It does so with a price, namely becoming more and more unrecognizable to the image and culture it tries so hard to pretend to be. The most recent buyout by megacorp may be the final blow to the "cool startup" culture. Examples include a partially employee funded healthcare package replaces office happy hours. A 0% 401k match replaces home run derbys. A slew of corporate policies replace the entire "team" (company) going to and producing great events.
    One element that seems unchanging through all the upheaval is the core personnel. This incestuous group has been around since the beginning. They have pledged their loyalty which appears to mean more than results.
    Going on a walk around the new large office is like entering a cemetery. The windowless tin can of a building provides a needed barrier between the road and evidence of long gone events.

HMM, where events go to die

"Operations"

Pros

Travel, Great Co-workers, Free Swag

Cons

Poor compensation, limited growth opportunities

Advice to Management

Give more opportunities to long time employees

"Time spent at HMM"

Former Employee - Event Director in Louisville, CO
    Former Employee - Event Director in Louisville, CO

Pros

Amazing working culture. Dogs in the office. Periodic snack treasures (boxes of granola bars, trash bags full of bags of chips, etc.) in the kitchen. Lots of borrowing of cool equipment. Access to the owner's leased land. Great connections throughout event industry.

Cons

The office is in need of legitimate upgrade but it's not specifically horrible. Solid chance it isn't up to code though. Lots of quick fixes by unlicensed individuals. Hopefully the new office meets standards. Management is nearly nonexistent. It's a company that has made efforts toward a management scheme that spreads the workload evenly throughout the employees, given their "department", but that mentality leaves many employees much more run down than others. There isn't a foundation for the mentality to thrive. It continually fizzles out. Attempts to establish protocol and procedure have been made but the severe lack of communication and leadership from the owner tend to make it impossible for them to stick. This is mainly do to too much flip flop on decisions made by the owner. HR isn't worth commenting on. False promises from upper management and the owner are the most numerous numerous negative trait of the company. Lots of quick commitments that are swept under the rug or talked in circles. It's done with good intention but it should be left out. It produces high hopes that are then extinguished which then leads to lack of drive from employees. Very few employees actually care. Although all companies will have flaws, this is an easy one to fix by simply spending more time in preparation and thoughtful execution of what is said will be done. Way too much "cart before the horse" mentality. Employees are nearly worked to exhaustion, especially those on the ground at events. Travel isn't ideal but it's part of it. Could be mediated by hiring more men and women on the work force who are capable of managing the manual labor involved with event prep weeks. Many individuals have been hired to help bring on more events, sponsors, etc. but very, very few have been brought on to assist in the production aspect. A lot more work for the same amount of people who were already nearing max capacity. Turn over is quite horrendous. Very few of the original "team" are still present either due to their own fault, the owner making the call or voluntarily leaving. Most voluntarily leave or endure the knee jerk reactions from upper management. Organization of event infrastructure suffers due to lack of space and high turn over.

Advice to Management

Advice will fall short. However, it should be told that when enough people have experienced the same thing and come out on the other side with the same opinion, there is truth in what's being said. Fix problems, not symptoms.

"Decent for part time"

I worked at Human Movement part-time

Pros

Exciting group of people who know events.

Cons

Not much in the way of training or human resources. I am a seasoned professional, so I could hit the ground running, interns needed more training.
    Office staff need to be much more responsive to phone calls/ emails from staff and outside vendors trying to get a hold of them.

Advice to Management

While interns are great, have them monitored by staff.
    Great vision for events but hire support staff that does not travel that takes care of a particular group in the field, not constantly changing interns. Those in the field are worked to death it seems.
    Office staff/accounting really need to be on top of working with/paying vendors in a timely manner.

"Avoid at all costs. The other reviews were required in the first week of new hires."

Pros

Dogs are allowed, located in Louisville, CO. You will end up seeing the absolute worst side of an industry which is in its own way can be modestly enlightening.

Cons

It is all lies/all smoke and mirrors. You are set up to fail from the beginning. The ceo has a reputation in the event industry as an untrustworthy character and you realize why after a few weeks of broken promises and outright lies. They take advantage of people and are highly unethical. The lawsuits they face are nearly constant from the vast number of people and commercial entities they have screwed over now. Your employment contract is not worth the paper its printed on. Even the DA in several states are investigating them. The ceo will come off as incredibly kind and trustworthy upon the first few weeks of meeting him and his family(his wife runs hr there), he will even seem genuinely in need of your help and grateful. It's all an act to use you and as soon as you realize it you are shunned and kicked to the door while still being owed thousands, sometimes tens of thousands of dollars. Several former coworkers had a very similar experience. There are always a new crop of twenty something interns(almost always female) with lots energy who are sold on the idea of working on fun events like The Color Run or Dirty Girl(both of which he has claimed he owned and never did). The ceo, Jeff Suffolk, will actually advise "employees" to be paid significantly less under the table and collect unemployment. I have never seen a more dramatic, caustic and tumultuous work environment. Don't believe the pretty facade of this fun looking company, behind the veil is a truly awful experience you should be very grateful for never experiencing. How Jeff Suffolk is not already in jail is nothing short of a miracle and a shortcoming of the legal system as he continually screws over the charities involved with his Oktoberfest and other events while defrauding the tax payer by not paying the sales tax on the alcohol sold during the six day event. Avoid this company at all costs and under all circumstances, the list of people that will not work him grows by the day. This is the only job I leave off my resume...

Advice to Management

Stop hurting people.

Human Movement Response

May 6, 2015 – President

Hmmm...this sounds a little suspicious and not from an employee. Feel free to call us or email info@humanmovement.me if you have any questions. Or swing by our office, 1111 South Street ... More

"Worst company I have ever worked for...by far."

Pros

There are dogs in the office...There are dogs in the office.

Cons

Poor management, they lie to your face, avoid conflict by ignoring difficult situations, they use every employee's money and credit to get by with expenses, then they take months and sometimes years to pay you back. They loose money on most campaigns they get involved in, they have poor organization, poor employee benefits, poor leadership. Vast majority of employees were dissatisfied at the time they received a 17th place vote in Outside Magazine for "Best Places to Work." Nothing but smoke and mirrors...

Advice to Management

Get a clue, stop lying to people, and stay out of Park County in Colorado. Just watch the Youtube video for Save McArthur Gulch. Google Citizens to Save McArthur Gulch and you will see a video that shows just how unprofessional the CEO is. Smoke and mirrors...

Human Movement Response

Feb 24, 2015 – President

Hmmm...this seems a little fishy! We don't have any employees from Park County but we know a few people up there (wink, wink). Thanks for taking the time to write on our page! Come up to visit us ... More

"Company with an amazing vision"

I have been working at Human Movement full-time

Pros

It is a great work environment...If you love to travel, have everyday be different and challenging, and if you're able to really see where it's headed!! Very generous about getting 'you' time, but if something hits the fan--you need to be ready to jump in! A very friendly/ family oriented atmosphere, with passionate creative people!!

Cons

I think the cons are very similar to most smaller/ start up companies, with growing pains...But, again, if you really see where it's going, it's worth those pains!

"Event Coordinator"

Current Employee - Event Coordinator in Louisville, CO
    Current Employee - Event Coordinator in Louisville, CO

I have been working at Human Movement full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The job itself-- it's so fun to create fun events! It's way better than sitting and doing accounting spreadsheets in a cubicle.
    The people--it's truly like it is portrayed on their website....like a family.
    The environment-- super laid back (dogs in the office, casual dress...)

Cons

Sometimes we run out of coffee in the break room?? Yup...there really aren't too many cons...

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work! We love working for you and love being part of the growth!

11. "We actually do make your weekends fn awesome!"

Current Employee - Sales in Louisville, CO
    Current Employee - Sales in Louisville, CO

I have been working at Human Movement full-time (More than a year)

Pros

This is hands down the most energetic, fun and rewarding company I have ever worked for. The events we produce are top notch and being able to provide really fun events for folks all over the nation is pretty cool. In the last two years I have been able to expand my skill set tremendously. Working at HMM gives you the ability to expand your skill set in the office at your desk as well as out in the field at an event. The people that work here are AMAZING. We have a very strong team and truly enjoy learning from each other and working together. If you are lucky enough to work at HMM you are lucky enough!

Cons

As some have mentioned the travel can be a bit taxing at times. However, it is pretty cool to have all of your expenses paid and see most of the major cities across the country! I think HMM could improve at

Advice to Management

I think it would be really cool to do more team activities outside of work. We all work together a ton and spend time together on the road but I think it would be nice to do team building activities in our home town. What about an HMM softball team or something?! Now we just have to find a day where we are all in town!!