ICANN Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

Rating Trends Rating Trends
Göran Marby
1 Rating

"Interesting Work, Nepotism Alive and Well, Lousy Management"

Current Employee - Project Manager in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at ICANN full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The work is highly challenging, smart people, unique company like no other in the world, interesting mix of highly technical people, legal talent and everything in between. A bottoms up policy organization with the two largest groups of professionals either having law or engineering degrees. Smart people, learn something new everyday.

Cons

Far and few respected executive managers. Management is out of touch, get promoted based on relationships, politics, nepotism and incompetence far far far more than other organizations. This company operates like a out-of-control insane 20 person start-up. With a shake-up in management maybe it will grow up to behave like the medium size organization it is.

Advice to Management

Clean house
    Realize who should actually be in management and promote them! Tons and tons of managment does not make for good leadership. Less managers, real leaders would go a long way to make this the great organization it should be.

2. "Great, challenging experience"

Former Employee - Senior Administrative Assistant in Playa Vista, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Administrative Assistant in Playa Vista, CA

I worked at ICANN full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Working at ICANN provided a sort of wake-up call into how demanding the tech industry and internet security sector can be. People were quite friendly and the staff holiday party was beautiful. PTO was fair and actually quite generous. There is a lot to learn if you like tech and internet security. Public meetings are held around the world, so the opportunity for travel exists, though it isn't promised.

Cons

Seems that there is a lot of turnaround with some supervisors, but overall, most assistants are career assistants. Tech is not the easiest subject to learn coming from a different background, and many peers were not willing to help others understand what their line of work was.

"Used to be better"

Former Employee - Unspecified in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Unspecified in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at ICANN full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Opportunities to make a direct impact to worldwide internet policy. Great staff, lots of professionalism, extra sharp minds.

Cons

Experience really depends on what manager you work for
    Some lousy managers driving people out

Advice to Management

Listen to your staff not your managers, they are the ones that really know what is going on. Make it safe for them to give you feedback.

5. "Great place to work"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Playa Vista, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Playa Vista, CA

I worked at ICANN full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

ICANN has the best benefits. Generous vacation and health benefits as well as 401K matching.. Company also has free snacks and soft drinks.

Cons

Drive to succeed may also leave you working more hours than in other companies because your coworkers do this as well.

Advice to Management

Improve Life / Work balance so that employees don't feel overworked and burned out.

"Billing Supervisor"

Former Employee - Billing Manager in Lakewood, CA
    Former Employee - Billing Manager in Lakewood, CA

I worked at ICANN full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

High tech and global company

Cons

Much of the financial tools and back room operations are outdated

"FAVORTISM GOES A LONG WAY"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at ICANN full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The people I have worked with for years are more like family. The benefits, vacation, sick time and 401K is great! Amazing even!! The location is really nice to work in.

Cons

They no longer value their employees. When I first started there, there was a work life balance, If you had things to do at home, you were able to work from home, but multiple changes in management "reorganizing" as they call has made things difficult. New management comes in and is not accustomed to the ICANN way of life and try to fix things that are not broken. People who have worked with blood sweat and tears for the company are no longer valued and just laid off. The morale isn't what it used to be, which then makes the productivity levels go down, more mistakes, more work. Very stressful working environment, many people go out on leave just to get peace of mind. Also the company has been around for over 15 years and still feels like a startup.

Advice to Management

Value your employees more, especially the ones who have been with the company through thick and thin. Stop thinking reorganizing and getting rid of people makes sense, because it doesn't!

"Very unique place. Rare opportunity to directly contribute to the operational stability of the global Internet."

Former Employee - Systems Engineer in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Systems Engineer in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at ICANN full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Generous 401k match, excellent health/dental insurance, opportunity to travel internationally for some employees. There are some extremely smart, hard-working and decent people at ICANN, who I truly enjoyed working with.

Cons

(Not surprisingly really) a lot of politics. It ultimately didn't work out for me, but I still regard my time there as mostly positive. Expectations can sometimes be quite high, and communication can sometimes be uneven and inconsistent.

Advice to Management

Pretty sure I know quite a lot less about management than you do, so I'll spare you the "advice".

"Good company, but need better management"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at ICANN full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good benefits: the usual benefit package is top tier, given the industry its in though overall it could be better
    Diverse workforce: friendly and interesting co-workers, I learned a lot from them and enjoyed the diverse environment very much
    Fulfilling career: knowing your work directly contributes to the Internet's well being is very fulfilling

Cons

Low pay, zero advancement opportunity generated by poor management. I wanted to give ICANN 4 stars but their management, at least the management team my department had, really made it hard. Just for the department I worked in, from top down the descriptions for each manager is "alienated and unpleasant", "cold and self-centered", "micro-manager and unprofessional". It seemed they picked the worst possible candidates to be people-managers. There were other managers with no direct reports, but I think these managers could do a much better job at managing people. Again this may only be applicable to my department, but it is true. I loved the company but decided to leave due to poor management.

Advice to Management

Advice to HR: the fact someone is tech-savvy and knows everything about the Internet doesn't mean he/she can manage anyone. In fact, the stereo-typed "tech person" is usually very bad at communications and in general lacks empathy because they are masters of cold logic. Yes they are valuable to the company, but please make sure, before you hire them as VP, director or manager, that they are capable of caring about others, and please keep in mind tech skills can be trained, but personality can not.

"Excellent Place to Work!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at ICANN full-time (More than a year)

Pros

If you are successful, apply yourself, and are a top performer, you will be rewarded through career growth opportunities and compensation.

Work is highly interesting and complex with lots of freedom to apply your own style and try new things.

Great culture with interesting people and a diversified workforce.

Cons

Work/Life Balance can be tough at times.

Advice to Management

Quality over quantity. Prioritize your goals, stick with them, refuse distractions and don't be so reactive.

"Pros and Cons"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at ICANN full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Best benefits I've ever seen. Very interesting and complex work. Genuinely nice and very smart people for the most part.

Cons

Can be very political, and frustrating to get work done through the bureaucracy.

Advice to Management

Do more promoting from within and value industry knowledge. Get rid of negative and incompetent people.