Icon Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

3.1
Kurt W. Ripkey

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • They recognized my hard work, integrity and work ethic and wanted to ensure I knew they valued me as an employee (in 5 reviews)

• Good benefits, dart system to help in processing wo's and inventory (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • Work Life Balance - Well I was single when i worked at Icon, so the extra hours (sometimes 55 hours a week) didn't really bother me too much (in 5 reviews)

• Upper management has no idea what they are doing, and couple try but get cut off at the knees (in 5 reviews)

1. "Stability, Advancement and Culture"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Elk Grove Village, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Elk Grove Village, IL

Pros

Friendly and active work environment. Culture is family orientated, everyone is kind and very willing to help others. Fantastic orientation and training plan/policies. Compensation is competitive with excellent benefits including 401k match. Wellness program available that will even offer employee the option of discounted healthcare coverage. Career paths are discussed during interview and orientation period. Very accommodating work/life balance including extended holiday schedule, vacation, sick and personal time off. Fantastic opportunity for stability and advancement for those with a solid work ethic. Icon has completed amazing brand implementation projects for many large corporations throughout the nation. Very happy to be part of such an amazing company.

Cons

None to comment upon at this time.

2. "Truth of the Matter"

I worked at Icon full-time

Pros

The employees have great potential and appear to be dedicated to the work of the company even without a great deal of support and appreciation from the management and executive staff. They sought flexibility in working hours to meet needs of the working employees finally. They only put in temporary solutions to ongoing problems

Cons

Overwhelmingly their management over accounts money motivated and lack appreciation of staff and will blame their staff when goals and expectations from the executive staff are not met. Poor work life balance. No matter how many extra and long hours you put into a job the management will overlook the contribution if you are salaried and state that is what you do to see a job done. Part of a days work. Nothing more because they are takers and do not really care about their employees overall health

Advice to Management

Stop blaming your staff for your shortcomings and take responsibility that you are part of the problem and own some fault as well. Stop running good employees away because they are all afraid they are going to be fired anyway. After giving good work and putting extra time and attention in the job to make the customer happy and keep accounts on track they all are afraid of being fired. Quit managing by fear and running the operation like big management gangsters

"Strong company great employees but exec staff not that understanding"

Current Employee - Project Manager in Elk Grove Village, IL
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Elk Grove Village, IL

I have been working at Icon full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Pay is pretty good. The PM teams are great people. Good benefits. Senior PM's understand when people need to take off or work from home.

Cons

Most important thing to them is margins and collections not the hard work people do. If an account does not hit a certain margin the Pm people are blamed. Even though it is sold at low margins. They preach customer service but what about internal customer service for the employees. We work long hard hours for the customers but no support internally. Make a mistake and you are automatically a bad PM. Training is scheduled but the training is what the managers put together and their way an no one else's input is allowed.
    We have winter hours and summer hours the company put in place but then you here complaining from executive all the time about people leaving early when they are not. They work the hours set in place by the policy for summer or winter hours.

Advice to Management

Stop losing or getting rid good employees just because someone may not like them or a mistake was made. Who in that company has never made a mistake or 2. It's a business not a social club.

4. "Better than the reviews it's getting"

Current Employee - Service Manager in Clearwater, FL

I have been working at Icon full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The company is stable. They actually take a genuine interest in their employees. The pay is ok, not great, but doable. The job is fast paced so your day really flies and boredom is never a problem, it isn't repetitive and tedious. You are not micro managed as long as you meet expectations.

Cons

As I said, pay is ok, especially given the hours you have to put in when it's busy season, probably should be a little better. The job isn't for everyone, there is a good bit to keep up with and chaos to manage, i am good in that type of environment, you may not be.

Advice to Management

A bump in the pay scale would increase staff retention and a better training program could help to mitigate turnover when it does happen

"Superintendent"

Former Employee - Superintendent in Elk Grove, IL
    Former Employee - Superintendent in Elk Grove, IL

I worked at Icon full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Direct deposit always arrived on time.

Cons

Little or no notice as to upcoming schedule.
    No work life balance. Not conducive for those that have a family or want to have any kind of personal life. Days off frequently require travel to the next work location.
    Job requires 95% travel which equates to 347 days on the road out of the year and don't expect to be told or have any notice as to when your time off will be. You can expect to be living out of a motel full time.
    In a years time I worked with 11 project managers and saw 5 of those project managers advance their careers by moving to other companies.
    This company is hemorrhaging talent.

Quality of workmanship is not a priority at ICON.

6. "superintendent"

Pros

work in varios cities throughout U.S.

Cons

unrealistic work hours 12-16 hr days

Advice to Management

need to reconize people need rest should not be asked to work 40+ days in a row.

7. "Service Manager II"

Current Employee - Service Manager II in Clearwater, FL
    Current Employee - Service Manager II in Clearwater, FL

Pros

I came into the industry without any previous sign knowledge. I've been supplied mentoring, training and the opportunity for advancement. This company does show it's appreciation for dedication and hard work. This month alone 3 people in my office have been promoted. The company does recognized it employees for all their hard work and shows it appreciation. The traveling part of the job it great. We have off site events, and we are being supplied varidesk to be able to sit or stand, which is a direct health benefit.

Cons

This is a job where if you don't ask questions or have the ability to think outside the box may not be a great fit. The amount of work can be intimating when your new to the sign industry, but if you stick it out can be rewarding.

Advice to Management

Training. I really appreciated the opportunity to attending off site training supplied by the company and visit job sites to see actual repairs in process.

8. "A Great Place To Work"

Current Employee - Senior Manager in Moorestown, NJ
    Current Employee - Senior Manager in Moorestown, NJ

I have been working at Icon full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

The company is innovative, open to ideas, transparent communication, team mentality and have multiple office locations. The benefits package is a plus for the industry or any company overall.

Cons

We currently don't have an office in larger markets such as NYC for local clients.

Advice to Management

Keep re-inventing ourselves in staying in front of the industry trends.

"Superintendent"

Former Employee - Estimator in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Estimator in Chicago, IL

Pros

From PMs down are good people, everyone gets along and willing to help each other. Which is almost unheard of today.

Cons

Low salary, long hours, and they tell you, that you will have time off but you never see it until you threaten to leave. Upper management has no idea what they are doing, and couple try but get cut off at the knees.

10. "Learning a lot"

Current Employee - Service Manager in Clearwater, FL

I have been working at Icon full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Diverse work responsibilities so I am always learning something new and adding to my skill sets. Management can be flexible and understanding of both work and personal situations.

Cons

Its always cold in the varsity cubicle. I'd like to see more signage on the windows and around the office.