Icon Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

3.1
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Kurt W. Ripkey

Pros
  • This company does show it's appreciation for dedication and hard work (in 5 reviews)

• Good benefits, dart system to help in processing wo's and inventory (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Work Life Balance - Well I was single when i worked at Icon, so the extra hours (sometimes 55 hours a week) didn't really bother me too much (in 4 reviews)

• Upper management has no idea what they are doing, and couple try but get cut off at the knees (in 5 reviews)

1. "Better than the reviews it's getting"

Current Employee - Service Manager in Clearwater, FL

I have been working at Icon full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The company is stable. They actually take a genuine interest in their employees. The pay is ok, not great, but doable. The job is fast paced so your day really flies and boredom is never a problem, it isn't repetitive and tedious. You are not micro managed as long as you meet expectations.

Cons

As I said, pay is ok, especially given the hours you have to put in when it's busy season, probably should be a little better. The job isn't for everyone, there is a good bit to keep up with and chaos to manage, i am good in that type of environment, you may not be.

Advice to Management

A bump in the pay scale would increase staff retention and a better training program could help to mitigate turnover when it does happen

"Superintendent"

Former Employee - Superintendent in Elk Grove, IL
    Former Employee - Superintendent in Elk Grove, IL

I worked at Icon full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Direct deposit always arrived on time.

Cons

Little or no notice as to upcoming schedule.
    No work life balance. Not conducive for those that have a family or want to have any kind of personal life. Days off frequently require travel to the next work location.
    Job requires 95% travel which equates to 347 days on the road out of the year and don't expect to be told or have any notice as to when your time off will be. You can expect to be living out of a motel full time.
    In a years time I worked with 11 project managers and saw 5 of those project managers advance their careers by moving to other companies.
    This company is hemorrhaging talent.

Quality of workmanship is not a priority at ICON.

3. "superintendent"

Pros

work in varios cities throughout U.S.

Cons

unrealistic work hours 12-16 hr days

Advice to Management

need to reconize people need rest should not be asked to work 40+ days in a row.

5. "Service Manager II"

Current Employee - Service Manager II in Clearwater, FL
    Current Employee - Service Manager II in Clearwater, FL

Pros

I came into the industry without any previous sign knowledge. I've been supplied mentoring, training and the opportunity for advancement. This company does show it's appreciation for dedication and hard work. This month alone 3 people in my office have been promoted. The company does recognized it employees for all their hard work and shows it appreciation. The traveling part of the job it great. We have off site events, and we are being supplied varidesk to be able to sit or stand, which is a direct health benefit.

Cons

This is a job where if you don't ask questions or have the ability to think outside the box may not be a great fit. The amount of work can be intimating when your new to the sign industry, but if you stick it out can be rewarding.

Advice to Management

Training. I really appreciated the opportunity to attending off site training supplied by the company and visit job sites to see actual repairs in process.

6. "A Great Place To Work"

Current Employee - Senior Manager in Moorestown, NJ
    Current Employee - Senior Manager in Moorestown, NJ

I have been working at Icon full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

The company is innovative, open to ideas, transparent communication, team mentality and have multiple office locations. The benefits package is a plus for the industry or any company overall.

Cons

We currently don't have an office in larger markets such as NYC for local clients.

Advice to Management

Keep re-inventing ourselves in staying in front of the industry trends.

"Superintendent"

Former Employee - Estimator in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Estimator in Chicago, IL

Pros

From PMs down are good people, everyone gets along and willing to help each other. Which is almost unheard of today.

Cons

Low salary, long hours, and they tell you, that you will have time off but you never see it until you threaten to leave. Upper management has no idea what they are doing, and couple try but get cut off at the knees.

8. "Learning a lot"

Current Employee - Service Manager in Clearwater, FL

I have been working at Icon full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Diverse work responsibilities so I am always learning something new and adding to my skill sets. Management can be flexible and understanding of both work and personal situations.

Cons

Its always cold in the varsity cubicle. I'd like to see more signage on the windows and around the office.

9. "Good place for career minded individuals"

Current Employee - Project Manager in Elk Grove Village, IL
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Elk Grove Village, IL

I have been working at Icon full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

A solid company to grow with. They have added several training opportunities designed for career advancement. I just attended a leadership training class to help qualify me to manage others and take the next step in my career. I have never stopped learning, and while opportunities don't open up as fast as I would like, I have been promoted twice due to performance and results.

Cons

Would like to have more flexible hours and work from home options.

Advice to Management

I appreciate the training and development you are investing in, but would like to see if there are other incentives (contributions) I can make to impact my salary?

"A great place to work if you WANT to work"

Current Employee - Service Manager in Elk Grove, IL
    Current Employee - Service Manager in Elk Grove, IL

Pros

I find Icon to be a great place to work if you actually want to put the work in. They promote from within (if you deserve it) and offer some great benefits such as a surplus of paid vacation / sick days, as well as optional summer hours every year.

Cons

Negative attitudes. There seem to be a lot of employees, specifically on the service end of the business, who employ a constant negative attitude. Instead of putting the work in and trying to improve their situations they seem to take the course of talking about their issues around the "water cooler" as opposed to addressing them with management.

Advice to Management

Develop a program where members of the executive staff, department managers, and HR can sit down with each of the employees for a round table discussion about morale and process improvement. I would start this on the service end as soon as possible to avoid the continuation of constant turnover.

"Good place to start, but has questionable financial standing."

Former Employee - Project Manager in Elk Grove Village, IL
    Former Employee - Project Manager in Elk Grove Village, IL

Pros

Icon has a lot of great people and some big name clients. Definitely not a stuffy environment. The company holds team building events which was a plus.

Cons

Invoices were paid at an unacceptably slow rate. Sometimes vendors would give me a hard time for not having been paid for so long.