Insurity Reviews | Glassdoor

3.3
Insurity CEO Jeffrey Glazer
Jeffrey Glazer

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • I know my contributions really make a difference internally and for my clients (in 4 reviews)

• Free parking in Hartford is a rarity but this place has it (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • The company no longer supports the idea of cost of living pay increases or across the board raises (in 5 reviews)

• Work/life balance is simply an HR marketing scheme (in 5 reviews)

1. "Developer point of view."

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Hartford, CT
    Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Hartford, CT

I worked at Insurity full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Hands on technology. Flexible hours. Great salary. Access to lots of software tools and current software technology. Great benefits. Opportunities for performers. Always looking to innovate in the insurance industry.

Cons

Insurance software is a tough business. Insurity is somewhat small shop competing against big players.

Advice to Management

Tie compensation and bonuses to success of teams rather than individual performers.

2. "Software Developer"

Current Employee - Software Developer in Hartford, CT
    Current Employee - Software Developer in Hartford, CT

I have been working at Insurity (More than 8 years)

Pros

Great company culture. Not a lot of politics below the Executive level. All around nice people to work with.

Cons

Company is owned by Venture Capitalist firm. They do not give yearly cost of living increases, which they actually call "Entitlement Raises." They work their employees really hard and expect many of them to work overtime.

Advice to Management

Start giving people their cost of living increases so they do not actually make less money every year. Give people that work really hard appropriate increases. Many loyal employees consider leaving after a while because they are burned out and have not been getting adequate raises.

"Not a company to work for!"

Former Employee - Account Executive in Hartford, CT
    Former Employee - Account Executive in Hartford, CT

I worked at Insurity full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

The only pro I can come up with is that the CEO just retired.

Cons

Insurity doesn't do any performance reviews and sometime ago determined that "performance raises" would not be given. Additionally this year they cut the individual bonus by 75%! Management also believes that a 45 hour work week isn't doing your fai share. The Insurity moto is do more and get paid less!

Advice to Management

Implement the performance review process! Make your managers accountable!

"Ehh"

I worked at Insurity full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Competitive salary, fair amount of time off, technical challenges, smart co-workers, casual dress,quality technology.

Cons

Little to no collaboration, managers who aren't natural leaders, a mentality where everyone's focus is handling what comes over the wall and never focused on how to do things better.

Advice to Management

Realize that a thorough knowledge of a technology does not necessarily make someone an ideal leader.

5. "Insurity Inc.- My best employer !!!"

Current Employee - Senior Business Analyst in Hartford, CT
    Current Employee - Senior Business Analyst in Hartford, CT

I have been working at Insurity full-time (More than a year)

Pros

From day 1, I started to love my job profile and company. Company provided me right amount of training, no tight handholding, opportunity to share thoughts etc etc.

Cons

None I came across so far. Even though you find , they will give you opportunity to speak out and company will work towards an amicable resolution!!

Advice to Management

Respected Management,

I thank you for the opportunity you have provided.

Please keep the great work management team is doing.

Regards,

6. "Insurity - Review"

Current Employee - Senior Consulting Software Engineer/Solution Architect in Hartford, CT

Pros

Good environment and smart group of people to work with. Great benefit. Management are willing to take risks.

Cons

Tight deadlines. Resources are spread too thin. Because of that quality is suffering.

"Insurity - Review"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Hartford, CT
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Hartford, CT

I have been working at Insurity full-time

Pros

A lot of smart and hardworking people are working for Insurity. The company exists since 1980s and seems to be stable (at least, it was up to now). Usually coworkers are ready to answer your questions when you need it.

Cons

You are always busy, if you are working for Isurity. The priorities are changed frequently. Be ready to work overtime. And if you have to study something or to update your skills - it is a kind of problem to find some time for it.

Advice to Management

Be more predictable about priorities and expectations.

8. "Challenging, Fast Paced Work Environment"

Current Employee - Business Analyst in Hartford, CT
    Current Employee - Business Analyst in Hartford, CT

Pros

There is tremendous room for growth and plenty of opportunities if you are looking to be challenged, learn different areas of focus, or gain exposure to different types of work.

Cons

Because of resource constraints and growing business demands, employees are sometimes stretched too thin and work does not get the attention it should.

Company has gotten rid of annual raises. Small spot bonuses and yearly bonuses are not enough to keep up with increasing costs of living in the area.

Advice to Management

with constantly expanding roles & responsibilities, increasing work demands and higher expectations for quality & service should come increased salary & benefits. incentives should match those annually increasing expectations

"Management"

I worked at Insurity full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Parking is good for a Hartford location. Majority of staff works very hard to despite the challenging environment.

Cons

Significant disconnect between Executive management/leaders and Mid level managers and Staff. Projects are not staffed appropriately and employees are working on multiple client projects which creates an environment of conflicting priorities. Quality control area needs to be inserted up front in the SDLC and not after the fact when dealing with testing issues. Improved Project controls are needed to reinforce accountability with deliverables - however, setting up a successful staffing model in the beginning is key. Culture does not encourage career growth - Executive leadership encourages a Hunger Game mentality.

Advice to Management

Improve the management structure supporting the employees - Invest in your employees.

"Program Manager"

Current Employee - Program Manager in Hartford, CT
    Current Employee - Program Manager in Hartford, CT

I have been working at Insurity full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Things I appreciate about my experience at Insurity, and why I stay:
    - I love the work I do
    - My co-workers are experts in their fields, and a pleasure to work with - generous in sharing their knowledge
    - Our clients are large, reputable, diverse carriers who value partnership and the services we provide to further their business goals - proud to be supporting their business objectives
    - Our management team is committed to strengthening client focus and internal continuous improvement - encourage team members to have a voice, empower us to make changes, and support us when we need it

I enjoy the diversity, challenge, and energy I experience daily! I know my contributions really make a difference internally and for my clients!

Cons

No company is perfect, so yes there are some cons too - but I would rather not list them here - it would just be unnecessary noise, and they are greatly minimized by the pros already identified.

All I can offer to people looking at the negative comments is, the main thing to remember about Insurity, just like anything else is, you will get out of your experience at Insurity, what you put into it. I think some of the negative reviewers need to spend some time in the mirror.

Fit is key, so know what you are signing up for, ask questions. If you think this is the place for you, then be ready to be challenged, busy, and part of the solution. If the sound of this excites you - you will be fine!!!

Advice to Management

Don't settle - Raise the Bar!!! Your top performers will rise to the challenge; your steady team members will appreciate the opportunities; and the under performers... well, it might be better to allow them the opportunity to find something elsewhere they may be better suited for.