Intervarsity Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

4.1
Alec Hill

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Incredible opportunity for spiritual growth, growth as a teacher/communicator, strategy for reaching new people, leadership development (in 6 reviews)

• Great people, great mission, flexibility with family and job function (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • Working up the ladder within the organization is pretty much non-existent (in 3 reviews)

• A lot of fear-based decision-making (in 3 reviews)

1. "Great work life balance"

Current Employee - Area Director in Bangor, ME
    Current Employee - Area Director in Bangor, ME

I have been working at Intervarsity part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Working with wonderful people doing what I love with a lot of freedom

Cons

It is difficult to work with a team that is by the nature of the job very spread out

2. "InterVarsity is alright"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Madison, WI
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Madison, WI

I have been working at Intervarsity full-time

Pros

- You get to work with cool and passionate people.

Cons

- Working up the ladder within the organization is pretty much non-existent.
    - Fundraising 100% of your support
    - Better know your Enneagram or Myers-Briggs because it will be referred to on a daily basis

3. "Senior LINK Specialist"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in North Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in North Chicago, IL

I have been working at Intervarsity full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

InterVarsity has been my extended family for over 20 years. If you're a gifted woman in ministry, it is one of the best places to work in the US! There are many flexible roles as you go through various life stages (having children, etc.) InterVarsity invests in the development of leaders, including its staff. I never intended to be in the States this long, but I'm wrapping up 25 years. It has been a great place to be.

Cons

For managers, there can be a lot of travel and nights away from home. But, that is the nature of student ministry and management. It really isn't more time than what you'd find in any fortune 500 company, or roles where people are on call.

And at this juncture, the organization is going through major restructuring, so many of the leaders (men and women) I looked up to have or are about to retire. That's not a bad thing, flesh blood is always good, but being a senior leader, it is a bit of a jolt to be older than the CEO and the majority of the EVPs and VPs. I'm sure once the dust settles, the tension from all the change will subside.

Advice to Management

In addition to announcing the new roles and positions opening up. Provide a place for senior staff who are in transition and/or must apply for a new role to stay, to process the changes or to be helped to understand why the org is being restructured the way it is.

4. "Campus Staff"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Pros

A great place and team opportunity to get involved in a great mission that focus on developing great people skills.

Cons

The challenge of developing your own fund raising strategy. Although, your are supported by more seasoned staff and supervisors.

5. "Area Director"

Former Employee - Area Director in Saint Louis, MO
    Former Employee - Area Director in Saint Louis, MO

I worked at Intervarsity full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

passionate people, freedom in how to work, diverse working environment, challenging and inspiring mission

Cons

lack structure to know success, low salary, needed to fundraise own salary

6. "Senior administrative assistant (part-time and virtually)"

Current Employee - Senior Administrator in Albuquerque, NM
    Current Employee - Senior Administrator in Albuquerque, NM

I have been working at Intervarsity part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Working primarily for one executive director who is a fantastic supervisor. He has great patience with me when I am in a learning curve. He responds to my questions and concerns immediately or as soon as he can. My job is flexible in hours allowing me to do other jobs in my own city. He doesn't micro-manage. He communicates clearly and in a courteous and fun way. The other staff and administrators I've worked with are all helpful, patient with me, and very friendly. The national staff conference (every 3 years) for me is not required. I have gone and felt very valued and affirmed. Learned a lot in some personal areas not related to administrative skills. This past conference though had no sessions geared for administrators. The conference prior did have. The organization as a whole, based on the people I have met (campus ministers and other staff) have been intellectually sharp, resourceful, sensitive to race, gender, ethnicity, language, social issues, etc. I have great respect for the executive team and the board. Very capable and with the appropriate wisdom and heart for a faith-based non-profit.

Cons

I'm not sure about the other senior administrators, but I do raise my own salary. It has not been a true "con" since the money came in rather quickly for what I needed.

7. "Program Director"

Current Employee - Program Director in Oakland, CA
    Current Employee - Program Director in Oakland, CA

I have been working at Intervarsity (More than a year)

Pros

There is a great team environment. People will get to know you inside and outside of work. Establishing trust can be easy through the extracurricular work activities.

Cons

The directors outside of your area can feel very distant. For such a large organization, communication and input up the line can feel difficult.

Advice to Management

Create more spaces for dialogue with field staff. They are the ones working closely on the ground and have valuable insight that can help direct the organization.

8. "Amazing Employers"

Former Employee - Recreation Supervisor in Cedarville, MI
    Former Employee - Recreation Supervisor in Cedarville, MI

I worked at Intervarsity (More than a year)

Pros

It is a fun, Christian summer job that will help you grow in so many ways. The people you work with are from all over the place, and it is great to get to meet that many new people and spend an entire summer with them.

Cons

You don't get paid very much.

Advice to Management

I would say that the reviews done should be more timely. It's helpful to get feedback from management so when it doesn't happen until almost the end of the summer it is much more difficult to take that advice to heart.

9. "Campus Staff"

Current Employee - Campus Staff in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Campus Staff in New York, NY

I have been working at Intervarsity part-time (More than a year)

Pros

The vision to see Students and Faculty transformed, campuses renewed and world changers developed.

Cons

Personal fundraising can be hard.

Advice to Management

Please, develop more national programs to support the staff on the trenchers.

"Wonky Workflow"

Current Employee - WISCONSIN in Madison, WI
    Current Employee - WISCONSIN in Madison, WI

Pros

InterVarsity's healthcare benefits are strong and there's a pretty pro-family atmosphere. I've never felt disapproval for having to take sick time to take care of a kid. And the hours are pretty flexible, which is nice. Plus, it's a company doing good in the world.

Cons

Systems, processes, workflow, clarity about decision-making--all the stuff needed to get work done well--are NOT InterVarsity's strong suites. Plus, it can be difficult to advance unless you have advanced degrees. But the pay is low, not commensurate with skills/experience.

Advice to Management

Improve your administrative structures so that your processes run smoothly and efficiently and your workers don't waste time and energy. You'll minimize burnout and keep good staff longer.