Jazzercise Reviews | Glassdoor

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Instructor"

Current Employee - Indtructor in New Albany, IN
    Current Employee - Indtructor in New Albany, IN

I have been working at Jazzercise (More than 8 years)

Pros

Stay physically fit Meeting new people

Cons

Spending a lot of time putting a set together

2. "Instructor"

Current Employee - Jazzercise Instructor in Carlsbad, CA
    Current Employee - Jazzercise Instructor in Carlsbad, CA

I have been working at Jazzercise part-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Free classes
    Choreography supplied from Corp

Cons

Low pay
    No room for advancement

Advice to Management

Take less off the top from owners so they can properly pay their instructors

3. "Happy Fit Body...Sad Empty Wallet"

I have been working at Jazzercise part-time

Pros

This is a franchise, so you own your own business. Fun music, fun choreography. And you get paid to work out. Corporate keeps it fresh and challenging. The name might make you think "leg warmers and headbands" but this program has truly kept up with the times.

Cons

It's almost impossible to support yourself on what you make. If you're a class owner corporate keeps 20% of your gross. Add rent and other fees and you're lucky to have anything left over. Promotional items (give aways that customers play games/challenges to earn) are very pricey as well. This is a labor of love and fitness...because there's not much else if you're a class owner. If you're an associate (substitute or fill in) instructor, expect to make anywhere from $10 to $25/class. Factor in prep time, driving time, etc and you're working for poverty wages.

Advice to Management

Support ALL areas with marketing and advertising. Don't forget the little franchises. We matter just as much as the big ones.

4. "instructor"

I have been working at Jazzercise part-time

Pros

the people, the music, the choreography

Cons

very little money for associates

Advice to Management

support franchisees

"Pay is terrible"

Current Employee - Instructor in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Instructor in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Jazzercise part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I love the women I work with and the program itself. Great full. Indy workout.

Cons

The pay is terrible and the way pay can fluctuate each month is ridiculous. So much time and energy is put in to creating a great workout set and a great experience for our customers. Besides the hour I teach class I usually prep for 1 hour learning a new routine or two and then getting the set in order. To get paid $10 then becomes $5. My time is worth more than that-the last time I made $5 an hour was as a teenager in the 90's at a fast food restaurant. Not allowing us to teach at fitness centers like 24hrfitness was your biggest downfall.

Advice to Management

If Jazzercise is going to continue to tout itself as the best workout out there than it's instructors should be paid as such. Instructors at box gyms starting pay per class is $20-$30. Your $1500 certification fee is excessive as well. Zumba charges $200 and their instructors make$20-$30+ per class. Time to make a move.

6. "Instructor"

Current Employee - Instructor in Cleveland, OH
    Current Employee - Instructor in Cleveland, OH

Pros

fun to engage with clients

Cons

low wage for time put in

7. "Instructor"

Current Employee - Instructor in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Instructor in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Jazzercise part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Wonderful work-out with friendly, fun people.

Cons

There is a lot of prep time required to teach classes.

"Can't make money"

Former Employee - Jazzercise Instructor in Evanston, IL
    Former Employee - Jazzercise Instructor in Evanston, IL

I worked at Jazzercise (More than 3 years)

Pros

Enjoyed learning routines, loved the franchieese owner she was a great trainer and had tons of energy!

Cons

Can't earn any money even when working hard. Very strict with review process. Didn't have a good maternity leave in place even though the whole company is women.

Advice to Management

Help the franchieeses make more money instead of taking it all! Retire Judi, your too old dance and create routines.

"Horrible experience"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Carlsbad, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Carlsbad, CA

I have been working at Jazzercise full-time

Pros

Some support by senior management for change but most in leadership want growth without fundamental change.

Cons

Back biting and gossiping by senior leaders in the company went on regularly. Decisions were not based on business fundamentals but on the whims of Judi, the founder, who is desperately trying to hang on to the success of Jazzercise from its hey day in the 80's. Unfortunately, the market has progressed and, sadly, she does not seem to be interested in evolving with the market and delivering to customers and franchisees what they are wishing for today. Her daughter is more than capable to take over and would do a good job at progressing the company but he is unable to do because Judi wants to continue to be in the limelight and run the show.

Advice to Management

You need some new blood and new ideas to breathe life into the business. Takebadvice from those who have more experience running and building successful companies as you do not have the right leaders at the top.

Stop trying to defend yourselves from those who mock Jazzercise and instead focus on building the brand and creating a customer experience that cannot be matched by other fitness programs. Be open to change or this business will continue to lose relevance in the market.

10. "Owner/instructor"

Former Employee - Franchise Owner, Instructor, and Center Owner in Pepperell, MA

I worked at Jazzercise (Less than a year)

Pros

Jazzercise is a franchise and they do have support available. Compared to other franchises, their franchise fees are much less. The work out program is the best overall body, for any body work out.

Cons

Your business, like many others are at the whim of the economy. Support and advice from corporate sometimes means spending more money.