KEY NOT FOUND: coverImgAlt

KBM Group Reviews

Updated Oct 6, 2021

Found 47 of over 53 reviews

3.4
KBM Group President and CEO Gary S. Laben (no image)
Gary S. Laben

18 Comments

Join the conversation on

Top Review Highlights by Sentiment

Pros
Cons
  • "management is extreme, staff rants and swears openly and unprofessionally.(in 3 reviews)
  • "No raises for over 4 years and unknown if we will ever get raises again.(in 3 reviews)
  • "pay not so good in customer service department since this is mostly a marketing firm.(in 3 reviews)
Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.
  1. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 10 years

Dynamic marketing services company with family atmosphere

Jun 29, 2013 - Hard Working Department Director in Dallas, TX
    Business Outlook

Pros

The staff at KBM Group (Richardson office) is very enjoyable to work with. No cliques to fit into that I can see. Work environment is laid back with business-casual dress code (shorts in the summer as well). Management is relatively flat compared to other large companies with layer upon layer of middle-management positions.

Cons

Everyone above "department manager" has VP of something title, so don't be surprised to run into more than one VP in a single day. Raises are in short supply right now due to economy and parent company wanting to conserve cash position to boost it's bottom line.

2 people found this review helpful
  2. 3.0
    Current Employee, more than 5 years

a place need to work so hard

Jan 5, 2021 - Statistical Analyst
    Business Outlook

Pros

manager is flexible as long as you get job done

Cons

low pay and a lot of work, no work life balance

3. 5.0

Glad I work here

Jul 19, 2010 -  in Houston, TX
    Business Outlook

Pros

KBM sells technological solutions, so technology jobs are part of the business and technology workers are treated as part of the business, rather than just cost center that doesn't produce revenue. KBM is not publicly traded, so we don't have knee-jerk reactions to stock prices or analyst calls. The people are friendly and helpful to others. KBM has the lowest level of internal politics I've ever worked in. Management examines problems that arise with a view toward correcting the process rather than punishing the individuals involved. Overall, it's a great environment in which to work.

Cons

The merit pay raise pool is dictated by parent companies and is lower than the industry average for technology workers. There is no meaningful incentive bonus system for worker-level employees. Benefits seem costly for employees, but perhaps the employee costs are going up at all companies.

4. 2.0

Chaotic

Apr 7, 2012 - Data Strategist in Seattle, WA
    Business Outlook

Pros

The people are extraordinarily bright and somehow motivated. There are opportunities to work with a variety of teams, partners and clients. You get the chance to interact with everybody from project managers to marketers to creatives.

Cons

Absolute chaos, constant churn, the work stacks up and it never ends. It's highly repetitive with little opportunity to learn. After a while it becomes so mundane, and too many hours, that you get burned out. The team is extremely understaffed. You do everything and work alone in an individual silo. There is no collaboration with other team members. The VP is an uninspiring workaholic with little understanding of what the team needs to be successful. Hours and hours of process have been added, but nothing has been done to improve the quality of work. His priorities are client, billable hours, process and more billable hours. He's full of ideas, but has no management skills whatsoever.

4 people found this review helpful
  5. 2.0
    Former Employee, more than 3 years

Used to be a more enjoyable place to work, now not so much

Nov 23, 2015 - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Business Outlook

Pros

The opportunity to work with global teams and across multiple client industries. There are a few gems in management that really care about your career development, if you find them; they are the reason why I learned a great deal.

Cons

Micromanagement. Shady politics. Out of touch with innovation. Dysfunctional teams. Below average compensation. Poor integration with the greater Wunderman agency which is actually a much better company to work for. Unclear path for advancement and raises. The cultural shift over the past year has lead to low morale but also to the departure of many very talented senior employees, and with them some very important leadership and interesting work.

3 people found this review helpful
  6. 1.0
    Former Employee, more than 1 year

Too many hours, too much stress, too many promises

Sep 16, 2012 - Senior Marketing Analyst in Seattle, WA
    Business Outlook

Pros

I liked the people I worked with, but that's about it. They're a great group, trying to do the best they can at a really tough place.

Cons

I barely lasted a year here. The hours were killing me, and there was no work life balance. Unless you count 100% work as balance. I lost all my weekends to this job. This was a lot of stress with no rewards. The amount of time put in to get work done was never appreciated and was criticized by other teams or clients. The job was supposed to be about analysis and insights, but 90% of my time was spent setting things up and making sure things work. You may as well be a project manager. The VP always promises things will get better, but they don't. He sells big ideas with PowerPoint and Visio presentations, but he doesn't know how to manage or execute. And then he demands you do more work. The last straw for me was when the new Director created a boys club environment. I had enough after that.

3 people found this review helpful
  7. 2.0
    Former Employee, more than 8 years

Management

Feb 12, 2016 - Management in Dallas, TX
    Business Outlook

Pros

Friendly staff, broad client base, broad product offerings (though not well defined), part of large global organization (a con at many times)

Cons

Poor pay (no pay raises for 5+ years); politics. KBM seems to have lost their way in recent years with no clear vision of the future, no loyalty to employees, and absolutely no support from HR. Leaders

1 person found this review helpful
  8. 4.0
    Current Employee

Great company with great potential.

Mar 20, 2014 -
    Business Outlook

Pros

Lots of different clients with differing project scopes. Exposure to many different network agencies and different methodologies. The company tests you on all levels and provides the occasional good stress to really propel you forward so that you're ready for anything.

Cons

I have not experienced any unique challenges that differ from normal challenges you see in every position.

9. 4.0
    Current Employee

The work and environment have been great, but there has been no room for advancement.

Nov 20, 2011 - Senior Web Designer in Saint Louis, MO
    Business Outlook

Pros

The people are fabulous: cordial, professional and smart. The work has been satisfying.

Cons

It suffers from corporate baggage, meaning there are layers and bureaucracy from outside the office. It tends to make mountains out of mole hills.

10. 4.0
    Former Employee, more than 3 years

This was a positive experience.

Apr 8, 2014 - Response Services Keyer in Mission, KS
    Business Outlook

Pros

Working for this company was satisfying. I was kept busy all the hours that I worked, and the benefits were more than adequate. This company really cares about its employees.

Cons

The challenges came during the times when the work was overwhelming. Sometimes the grass-roots employees were kept in the dark about situations, but even this improved. Actually, the "cons" about this job were very few.

Viewing 1 - 10 of 47 Reviews

KBM Group Reviews FAQs

KBM Group has an overall rating of 3.4 out of 5, based on over 53 reviews left anonymously by employees. 57% of employees would recommend working at KBM Group to a friend and 35% have a positive outlook for the business. This rating has improved by 2% over the last 12 months.

According to anonymously submitted Glassdoor reviews, KBM Group employees rate their compensation and benefits as 3.0 out of 5. Find out more about salaries and benefits at KBM Group. This rating has improved by 1% over the last 12 months.

57% of KBM Group employees would recommend working there to a friend based on Glassdoor reviews. Employees also rated KBM Group 3.3 out of 5 for work life balance, 3.2 for culture and values and 3.0 for career opportunities.

According to reviews on Glassdoor, employees commonly mention the pros of working at KBM Group to be benefits, coworkers, career development and the cons to be senior leadership, culture, management.

Popular Careers with KBM Group Job Seekers