Keystone Human Services Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated April 18, 2017

Full-time Part-time

1.7
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Keystone Human Services President and Chief Executive Officer Charles J. Hooker, III
Charles J. Hooker, III

Pros
Cons
  • Low pay and the supervisors tend to take advantage of people by assign their own responsibilities to their subordinates (in 7 reviews)

• corrupt upper management, no value from (in 4 reviews)

1. "Nice benefits"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lancaster, PA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lancaster, PA

I have been working at Keystone Human Services full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good entry level or part time job

Cons

Limited growth potential...Usually get stuck at PD

"Place is a joke"

Former Employee - Program Director in Lehigh Valley, PA
    Former Employee - Program Director in Lehigh Valley, PA

I worked at Keystone Human Services full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The colleagues I had were amazing.

Cons

Being under staffed is a way of life and no one cares.
    Being oncall and under too much stress.
    No one wants to give you good direction because they don't want the accountability.

Advice to Management

Hahaha you now do mandatory overtime beyond 16 hours. The state will shut you down once they get wind of
    It.

"Direct Support Professional"

Former Employee - Direct Support Professional in Sunbury, PA
    Former Employee - Direct Support Professional in Sunbury, PA

I worked at Keystone Human Services full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Honestly, the only pro is that you're helping individuals. I worked with some amazing individuals who really made a difference in my life too.

Cons

Oh where do I begin? Definitely do not work for this company. They do not care about their employees or individuals, mostly just care about paperwork and kissing up to the state. I've worked 24 hour shifts, overnights, very regularly. You don't get much family time. I also had a coworker who practically abused me at work. They only allowed a transfer when I threatened to quit. Transfer didn't pan out either I was still just as overworked and mistreated. And now, after having a seizure, I decided to leave. It was like leaving an abusive boyfriend, leaving this job. And now they wanna hold my last paycheck... They also don't care about the individuals in the sense that a lot of the individuals can talk, but are treated like they are always wrong by the higher ups. Honestly, very tempted to report the company. It infuriated me to see individuals tell me that they wished they could leave Keystone and have a better life somewhere else. Breaks my heart. Never seen a company that hurt so many people, not just myself.

Advice to Management

Pay your employees more than $11/hour. Stop treating them like disposable garbage. Give shifts that aren't 24 hours long. I only didn't get longer cause I stood up for myself. Do better by your individuals.

"Management"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Wilkes-Barre, PA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Wilkes-Barre, PA

I worked at Keystone Human Services full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Supporting the individuals & the direct support staff. This was a very rewarding job.

Cons

Where to begin! corrupt upper management, no value from upper management to the individuals, fear of being accused of something you didn't do, afraid of going to work because you get screamed at & threatened by those above you. STAY AWAY!!!!!! UPPER management talks a good talk but they don't care about the individuals they only care about making themselves look good.

Advice to Management

To UPPER management... Don't harass your employees, stop the favoritism, don't hire your druggie friends, show up to work, worry less about private meetings & focus on the real issues, don't bully people. Harrisburg really needs to wake up & clean house in Wilkes-Barre!

"Don't even bother."

Former Employee - Direct Care in Wilkes-Barre, PA
    Former Employee - Direct Care in Wilkes-Barre, PA

I worked at Keystone Human Services full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Easy work. Lots of overtime. Can get away with anything as long as you pull tons of overtime. Pay sucks and benefits are too expensive.

Cons

Nepotism. No chance for advancement. The company lost its vision. Individuals served is not the focus of management, instead they focus on pizza parties for themselves and hide in their offices delegating Thier duties to direct care staff.

Advice to Management

Look into recent promotions.. nepotism and favoritism took precedence over qualifications and ability.

"Don't waste your time"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Wilkes-Barre, PA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Wilkes-Barre, PA

I have been working at Keystone Human Services (More than a year)

Pros

Helping individuals lead more independent lives.

Cons

Where do I start? Disgustingly under staffed. Staff were bullied by management. The more you cover up and pretend to work hard the more you get promoted. Staff are continually overwhelmed with paperwork and administrative duties that it takes away from the care of the individuals. I could go on for days about the corruption within the company. Not a safe or healthy environment for staff.

Advice to Management

Clean out ALL of upper management. You're supposed to help and protect your employees. Not strike fear in them or make them feel as if they have no options. Egos can be deflated and no one is untouchable.

"Direct Support Professional"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Allentown, PA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Allentown, PA

I have been working at Keystone Human Services full-time

Pros

This can potentially be a laid back job depending on the house you work at.

Cons

Company does not care about employees or individuals. Corporate continues to try and reconfigure the system and focuses more on paperwork instead of individual needs. I personally can not do all of the different paperwork and how it continues to change. One week you will have to document one way and the next week it's completely wrong and you will have to re-do it. It has become incredibly frustrating to say the least.

Advice to Management

Pay your employees a better wage.

"Awful company"

Current Employee - Anonymous in Wilkes-Barre, PA
    Current Employee - Anonymous in Wilkes-Barre, PA

I have been working at Keystone Human Services full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Helping individuals served achieve goals. You have paid time off but are limited to when you are able to use

Cons

Promotions/awards within the region are strictly based on favoritism. If you work hard, they'll reward you with more work. If you do not work hard, you'll be rewarded with a promotion.

Advice to Management

Get over yourselves! You are very easily replaceable and you act as if you can get away with anything. Eventually, people will realize how much you ruined a once great region.

10. "Terrible, terrible company"

Former Employee - Direct Support Professional in Harrisburg, PA
    Former Employee - Direct Support Professional in Harrisburg, PA

I worked at Keystone Human Services part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The individuals supported and flexibility

Cons

The "politics" and unethical/illegal practices. Too many to list. Basically the more you lie and throw others under the bus, the more you get promoted.

Advice to Management

Care about the individuals you support more, and support your staff, especially when issues are brough to your attention

11. "Work with mentally handicapped individuals"

Current Employee - Caseworker in Hampden Township, PA
    Current Employee - Caseworker in Hampden Township, PA

I have been working at Keystone Human Services full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Good benefits and the joy of working with handicapped individuals . Good management and much opportunity to excel in other areas of work.

Cons

Low pay . Lack of communication between management and the leaders of each mentally handicapped residence. Lack of staff to take care of residence