King County Library System Reviews | Glassdoor

4.3
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Bill Ptacek

"Good Work Environment"

Pros

Most of the workers there are incredibly friendly and willing to help new staff members. You receive everything from paid vacation to paid sick leave even for a part time job.

Cons

Patron environment can be hostile at time. No worse then food industry though.

"Good salary, everyone is overqualified"

Former Employee - Library Technical Assistant
    Former Employee - Library Technical Assistant

I worked at King County Library System part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I loved the work I did. I always felt like I was doing good in the community. My coworkers were mostly fantastic; we were really close and I made lasting friends. You have to deal with a lot of difficult and even scary situations, but I almost always felt that management had my back. There was no corporate "the customer is always right" mindset where they expect you to just take abuse.

KCLS had tons of paid training and the people who worked closely with me helped me do everything I could to move up. The base pay and benefits were excellent. Lots of vacation time too.

Cons

Tons of staff were only part-time (20 hrs). If you wanted full time work, it was really hard to get. And then if you did get it, you'd probably have to take on a schedule with lots of nights and weekends and maybe not two days off in a row. (Unless you had been there forever and had seniority.)

Almost everyone was really overqualified for the work they were doing. People with masters degrees in library science were shelving books because it was so hard to move up; the field in this area is completely flooded. Some people who had been in the system forever were clearly bad at their jobs but no one did anything about it. This was frustrating when super competent people were unable to move up. Also, this depends on the cluster but mine was pretty understaffed. And then every time someone left, we still had to fight to be allowed to replace them.

Management was hit-or-miss. I had some that were fabulous but also a lot of managers who clearly were really ill-suited to their positions. And some drama before I left between the very upper levels of the organization and our union that left non-management staff feeling completely undervalued by the organization, despite being the backbone of the whole system.

Advice to Management

KCLS has money. We know it's fun to spend it on exciting new projects, but first and foremost you should be investing in your staff. Hire enough people so that staff aren't so thinly spread, give them enough hours to pay the bills, and keep pay raises and COL raises fair and equitable across the organization.

"Library page"

I have been working at King County Library System part-time

Pros

great team,training, and managment

Cons

pay is low and unexpetedly very physical no chance to sit down

"Library Technical Assistant"

Current Employee - Library Technical Assistant in Renton, WA
    Current Employee - Library Technical Assistant in Renton, WA

I have been working at King County Library System part-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great pay, great customer service, great benefits, flexible hours.

Cons

Under staffed a lot of times, deal with many different personalities with staff and the public.

Advice to Management

Be ready available when we have questions or problems.

6. "Volunteer"

Pros

Employees are very welcoming, flexible schedule, laid back atmosphere

Cons

Slow paced--sometimes not much to do.

"Volunteer Assistant"

Current Employee - Volunteer Assistant in Issaquah, WA
    Current Employee - Volunteer Assistant in Issaquah, WA

I have been working at King County Library System part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Flexibility of volunteer work hours, variation of work projects.

Cons

parking is limited
    Library staff limited
    Limited computers available to the public
    Need more tables and chairs for the public
    Need longer hours for adults and children on saturdays

"Hard work but rewarding"

Current Employee - Library Technical Assistant
    Current Employee - Library Technical Assistant

I have been working at King County Library System part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Providing access to information for everyone is challenging, but is worth it as you help patrons become empowered.

Cons

No downtime to get to know coworkers. No going out to lunch and making friends. Busy all the time. Very hard to get promoted because of intense competition.

Advice to Management

Have meetings for library assistants so we can share our knowledge and all get on the same page.

"Library work"

I have been working at King County Library System part-time

Pros

It's pretty great working at the second best library system in the US. Great work culture, great benefits, and the work itself is engaging. You get to work with the public.

Cons

Tough to get in, tough to get hours, and a lot of competition for promotions. Working with the public.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work. Promote good workers. Look for young talent.

"Library Page"

Pros

The other staff at the library are respectful, friendly, and helpful. And the libraries I've worked at are clean and pleasant to work in.

Cons

The library is a welcoming and open space but not everyone that visits the library is friendly and mentally stable.

Advice to Management

The library promotes a lot of activities & community outreach but working in a library was not something that was not brought to my attention as a young adult even though I spent an excessive amount of time in libraries. Management should promote and encourage people to pursue library careers.

"Stuck"

I have been working at King County Library System part-time

Pros

Great people to work with, surrounded by books everyday, Intellectual Freedom policy, free Wi-Fi, involved in surrounding communities

Cons

Few opportunities for advancement, some staff are extremely lax in enforcing policy or do not have appropriate training, hiring process is extremely slow.

Advice to Management

Hire more people internally, more training for people on the lower end (i.e. library pages), more opportunities for advancement.