King County Library System Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

3.7
Bill Ptacek

Sort: PopularRatingDate

"Page job great for students"

Current Employee - Library Page
    Current Employee - Library Page

I have been working at King County Library System part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I love working as a page at KCLS while I finish college.
    My co-workers are friendly and my supervisor is great.
    A library is a great work environment, too.
    I'd recommend it to any student with a good work ethic looking for a job.

Cons

After many years, page work can get repetitive.

2. "Page"

Current Employee - Library Page in Bellevue, WA
    Current Employee - Library Page in Bellevue, WA

I have been working at King County Library System part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great benefits if you can get enough hours.

Cons

Very hard to advance and the hiring process is awful. What they put a person through that wants to move up is ridiculous. It can take months without any word.

Advice to Management

You need to revamp your hiring process and let people know what is happening instead of leaving them in limbo for months. I've never seen anything like this.

"Reality behind the shiny exterior"

I have been working at King County Library System part-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Great co-workers. Non-management branch staff are among the most intelligent, thoughtful, team-oriented, interesting people I have had the opportunity to know.

Cons

Administration: Treats employees like opponents, power plays seem more important than supporting employees to truly serve patrons, money is regularly wasted by administration.

"Hidden" exploitation of staff: Most positions, especially the people you see in the actual branches at the desks, are part time. In order to survive, employees have to add "sub shifts" but schedules don't often provide reasonable ways to do this. As a result, many branch-based "front line" KCLS employees are pretty severely sleep deprived and stressed out, and this state is normalized within the organizational environment.

Advice to Management

I don't think management would be willing to take any advice from employees at this time. I would recommend to the public that we all carefully scrutinize how KCLS is using its rather prodigious funds. This organization is kind of bloated with money and not very good to its employees who provide its public face and actual services.

"Laid back company with little room to advance"

Current Employee - Page in Issaquah, WA
    Current Employee - Page in Issaquah, WA

I have been working at King County Library System (Less than a year)

Pros

Everyone is laid back, work gets done when it gets done.

Cons

No overtime, as a page I can't work more than 15 hours a week, would really like to. Very hard to advance in the company

"Good salary, everyone is overqualified"

Former Employee - Library Technical Assistant
    Former Employee - Library Technical Assistant

I worked at King County Library System part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I loved the work I did. I always felt like I was doing good in the community. My coworkers were mostly fantastic; we were really close and I made lasting friends. You have to deal with a lot of difficult and even scary situations, but I almost always felt that management had my back. There was no corporate "the customer is always right" mindset where they expect you to just take abuse.

KCLS had tons of paid training and the people who worked closely with me helped me do everything I could to move up. The base pay and benefits were excellent. Lots of vacation time too.

Cons

Tons of staff were only part-time (20 hrs). If you wanted full time work, it was really hard to get. And then if you did get it, you'd probably have to take on a schedule with lots of nights and weekends and maybe not two days off in a row. (Unless you had been there forever and had seniority.)

Almost everyone was really overqualified for the work they were doing. People with masters degrees in library science were shelving books because it was so hard to move up; the field in this area is completely flooded. Some people who had been in the system forever were clearly bad at their jobs but no one did anything about it. This was frustrating when super competent people were unable to move up. Also, this depends on the cluster but mine was pretty understaffed. And then every time someone left, we still had to fight to be allowed to replace them.

Management was hit-or-miss. I had some that were fabulous but also a lot of managers who clearly were really ill-suited to their positions. And some drama before I left between the very upper levels of the organization and our union that left non-management staff feeling completely undervalued by the organization, despite being the backbone of the whole system.

Advice to Management

KCLS has money. We know it's fun to spend it on exciting new projects, but first and foremost you should be investing in your staff. Hire enough people so that staff aren't so thinly spread, give them enough hours to pay the bills, and keep pay raises and COL raises fair and equitable across the organization.

"Library page"

I have been working at King County Library System part-time

Pros

great team,training, and managment

Cons

pay is low and unexpetedly very physical no chance to sit down

"Good Work Environment"

Pros

Most of the workers there are incredibly friendly and willing to help new staff members. You receive everything from paid vacation to paid sick leave even for a part time job.

Cons

Patron environment can be hostile at time. No worse then food industry though.

"Library Technical Assistant"

Current Employee - Library Technical Assistant in Renton, WA
    Current Employee - Library Technical Assistant in Renton, WA

I have been working at King County Library System part-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great pay, great customer service, great benefits, flexible hours.

Cons

Under staffed a lot of times, deal with many different personalities with staff and the public.

Advice to Management

Be ready available when we have questions or problems.

9. "Volunteer"

Pros

Employees are very welcoming, flexible schedule, laid back atmosphere

Cons

Slow paced--sometimes not much to do.

"Volunteer Assistant"

Current Employee - Volunteer Assistant in Issaquah, WA
    Current Employee - Volunteer Assistant in Issaquah, WA

I have been working at King County Library System part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Flexibility of volunteer work hours, variation of work projects.

Cons

parking is limited
    Library staff limited
    Limited computers available to the public
    Need more tables and chairs for the public
    Need longer hours for adults and children on saturdays