Kramer Levin Reviews | Glassdoor

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "IP Group"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at Kramer Levin full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Competitive salary with decent benefits. Positive work environment. Professional colleagues.

Cons

Not a whole lot of work in the IP group. Strict work hours.

Advice to Management

Need to let your staff breathe a little with respect to their work hours.

2. "Kramer"

I have been working at Kramer Levin full-time

Pros

Great People, better than the impression I get at other NY firms

Cons

Old technology, typical big law complaints

3. "Associate"

I have been working at Kramer Levin full-time

Pros

Nice people, good market reputation.

Cons

Management is a bit opaque.

4. "Friendly colleagues"

Pros

Good cases. Friendly colleagues and staff.

Cons

Assignment system does not exist.

"Poor Work Environment"

Current Employee - Legal Assistant in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Legal Assistant in New York, NY

I have been working at Kramer Levin full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Excellent Benefits including good health insurance, dental, life insurance, vision and 401K that in is a solid match.
    Further, Kramer Levin had started me with an excellent starting salary that will allow me to survive living outside the city of New York.

Cons

The two stars are for the benefits. However, working at the firm is an exercise in frustration. There is a Kramer Levin way of doing thing or you can hit the highway. I feel as though I'm constantly in a hostile work environment with my work constantly being criticized opposed to receiving an effective learning process. Further, there is no room for new potential ideas. I feel trapped in a position working for a terrible person.

Advice to Management

Please evaluate your employees that are suppose to train to support a healthy work environment. Basic kindness and respect for everyone. Most of the Partners are clueless, don't provide the support that a typical firm would give. Listen to all ideas and if it's not tolerated, there is no reason to be unkind.

"Harassment is a Part of the Corporate Culture!"

Current Employee - Associate Attorney in New York, NY

I have been working at Kramer Levin full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Some of the support staff are really great and have the patience of saints. No matter how much they are yelled and screamed at, how poorly they are treated or what questionable activities they are coerced into participating in, mostly stick around and they keep attempting to make the partners happy (a thankless and impossible task).

Cons

The world at Kramer Levin Naftalis & Frankel LLP presents a false face of legitimacy. Behind the scenes, the partners are more like gang members, dishonest thugs that are willing to say and do just about anything, as long as it increases their bonuses that they take home at the end of the year (they are all paid a percentage of profit).

Advice to Management

Screaming, lying and bring degrading to your co-workers is not a proper management style. Hopefully, the leadership of this firm will recognize posts like mine and it will drive change but I am not going to hold my breath. Kramer Levin Naftalis & Frankel LLP id just a place for people to pick up a decent pay check; no on loves their job; no one respects management or any of the partners; and because of the way we're treated, no one cares about the clients, except as a source of bonus money.

"Unethical"

Current Employee - Associate Attorney in New York, NY

I have been working at Kramer Levin (More than 3 years)

Pros

Annual Salary is a positive. Benefits given to begin are appealing. Most of the people in the office are great. The resources to find cases help tremendously. The office environment are also very professional and resourceful.

Cons

Partners
    Potential Growth within the Firm
    Learning Procedures
    Ethical boundaries with clients

Advice to Management

Keep track of partners as they manipulate clients moving towards trial.

8. "Great place to work!"

Current Employee - Litigation Paralegal in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Litigation Paralegal in New York, NY

Pros

base salary + overtime + bonus. Interesting cases and lots of opportunity for trial experience

Cons

Frequently grueling hours, particularly when prepping for/working on a trial

Advice to Management

better training program for inexperienced paralegals

"Toxic Morale. Worst Since 2009 Layoffs."

Current Employee - Legal Secretary in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Legal Secretary in New York, NY

I have been working at Kramer Levin full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Steady income since major layoffs in 2009. Some prestigious clients. Compensation fair or above market. Some perks for longer tenure.

Cons

Perpetually mediocre or bad working conditions have become toxic in the past year or two. The hours are inhumane (which could be said for other firms too), but the people here have become inhumane as well. In the old days, any screaming from the Partners would take place behind closed doors in a conference room. Now, screaming and demeaning anyone below you on the corporate ladder is tolerated everywhere from the offices to cubicles.

Advice to Management

Everyone knows the environment is completely toxic, but firm management does nothing about it. Think about your employees and not just yourselves and your pocketbooks. Upper management is rarely seen and does not participates in the daily grind, so it is easy to turn a blind eye to harassing behavior. Get involved.

"Great Service to Clients but Unchanging Management Style"

Current Employee - Associate in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Associate in New York, NY

I have been working at Kramer Levin full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Kramer Levin is a great firm with high level work and which provides excellent service to clients. It's an overall friendly place with few "screamers." It offers associates the ability to take on challenging work in major cases.

Cons

Partners are sometimes resistant to change. Unlike some of my friends' firms, some departments at Kramer have no coherent system to manage associate workflow, which leads to work an inordinate amount of working landing with a small number of associates. In addition, I have observed that senior associates with more aggressive (and sometimes abrasive) personalities have been made partner while more collegial and collaborative styled-senior associates were skipped over. Finally, even successful associates receive virtually no positive recognition for their work, which is culturally viewed as a bare minimum, rather than something worth appreciating.

Advice to Management

Implement a coherent system to spread work among associates more evenly (the nature of the work obviously does not allow for total equality of workflow) across all departments.