Labatt Food Service Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

3.8
Blair Labatt

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Advancement is available with hard work and proven mastership in your field (in 8 reviews)

• Friendly working environment with great co-workers focused on working as a team to make the team and company (not individual) succeed (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • Very strict 8-5 schedule with no room for flexibility (in 4 reviews)

• No vacation for the first year is difficult to get over at first (in 4 reviews)

"A Company That Cares"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Antonio, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Antonio, TX

I have been working at Labatt Food Service full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

This company is constantly reinvesting their resources back into the company across its entire territory. Labatt is a company that is continually growing and bettering itself with each passing year. Since starting with Labatt 3 years ago, they have put millions of dollars into a brand new state of the art processing facility and updated multiple warehouses as well as create an on site clinic for its San Antonio office. Also, how many people can say that they work for a debt free company that is family owned and not publicly traded?

Cons

I do a great deal of traveling across multiple counties and am not given a company car or mileage; only a gas card that I pay the taxes on. I feel like I deserve a car allowance or a better plan for my travel that could potentially include a company car or mileage plan.

Advice to Management

Do not get complacent or assume that all employees are doing well. You should continually be making sure that subordinates are happy in their work and environments.

2. "A Company That Creates Its Own Truth"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Antonio, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Antonio, TX

I worked at Labatt Food Service full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

If you're lucky to have landed under a manager who has chosen to rise above the corporate culture perpetuated by the company's executive leadership, then you may have the chance to have a great experience with this company. However, if you land under a manager who has been born and bred into the Labatt culture, you may want to use this organization as a training ground and then switch to a company that will truly develop you to reach your potential.

There's a focus on learning, which is good and noble. However, learning is tailored to focus only on information that supports current company culture and structure of believe. Which is interesting because the learning and growth actually require the ability to disagree, new ideas and a development of a culture that supports employees, not executives.

Labatt hires plenty of young people, so if you may build a good network of friends. However, it's very difficult to maintain those friendships because Labatt corporate qualities eventually create a culture that becomes toxic for friendships. This company does not believe in building a community at work, quite the contrary, this company wants work to be life.

The organization does focus on philanthropy through the San Antonio Opera, which is be honest is a great experience. It also focuses on community service through different local organizations in San Antonio, which is also great. But you often wonder if these things are done out of actual care for philanthropy, or out of the need to keep up an image.

Cons

The biggest con, culture. There are plenty of others, but culture is fundamental to the development of a company and the development of a young employee. There's not a day goes by where I show up to my new position at a different company and wonder why or how I managed to live within the Labatt culture for two years. It's toxic, life draining, demeaning and authoritative based.

The worst part about the culture is a complete disregard or lack of acknowledgement that the culture needs correction. Labatt believes, if you live you just didn't embrace the culture. The reality is that you leave, because you take a look of the reality outside of Labatt and realize the culture in this company is insane.

Labatt perpetuates this culture by paying its employees far more than the expected salary for the area. People basically get bought into working in an environment where your executives overwork managers and managers believe they can treat subordinates that way. The simple fact that subordinates is used to describe people who are managed is demeaning and disgusting.

Advice to Management

As you enter a phase of change, pay close attention to how this culture continues to push away talent that is actually inventive and innovated. Don't be so scared to look at your framework and internal make up with a magnifying glass. There's a clear understanding of turnover in the blue collar sector of your company, use this to analyze your turnover and culture in the white collar sector of your company.

"Business Class"

I have been working at Labatt Food Service full-time

Pros

This is a business of quality and believes in quality. Very technology driven and talented. A privately held family business built by family who believes in family, this is the place to be. The company works in teams and is great in accomplishing goals quickly. Coworkers and hires are very smart people and great to work with.

Cons

I am sure there is somethings out there that you can really pick apart if you dig deep enough, but why dwell on the negatives, they are overcome by all of the pros. I like working, so I love my job, my company, and supporting my family.

Advice to Management

- Keep maintaining the level intelligence on the new hires and continue the training of current employees. Remember, no one is as smart as all of us together.
    - Never deviate from our quality of standards
    - Continue the family tradition and the treatment of employees like family

"Great place to work!"

Current Employee - Business Analyst in San Antonio, TX
    Current Employee - Business Analyst in San Antonio, TX

I have been working at Labatt Food Service full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

When I was looking for a job a few years back, I had multiple offers from which to choose. I chose Labatt for a number of reasons and I have enjoyed working here ever since.

-Labatt hires the best so you get to work with smart people
    -Continuous learning is more than just lip service (ex. book club, conferences, onsite and offsite trainings)
    -Labatt is a company that has been around for many years and continues to enjoy year over year growth making it a very stable company to work for
    -Employees are given the freedom to solve problems instead of just doing what they are told (feels very entrepreneurial)
    -The corporate structure is generally flat allowing for easy communication of new ideas
    -New ideas are considered on their merits (ex. benefit to the company) rather than politics (ex. who thought of the idea)
    -We treat our customers as partners so that we grow together. This feels like the right way to do business and makes me proud to work at Labatt

Cons

Vacation benefits are a bit outdated

Advice to Management

Continue the high ethical standards that make me proud to work at Labatt.
    Continue hiring the best and brightest people as they are the lifeblood of the company.

"Working at Labatt"

I have been working at Labatt Food Service full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

I have been working at Labatt for 10 years, and I have enjoyed each and every year. I get to work with some of the smartest people I know every day. They have pushed me to be better at my job and are always available to help with any questions I need answered. At Labatt, I am part of a project team where each person plays a very important role. We get to be directly involved in decisions related to the business. This allows us to learn the business and to see how our end users relate to the systems we give them. Our iterative process for rolling out software gives us great reward because we are able to give our end users systems that will help them do their jobs efficiently. Labatt does a good job keeping us up to date on new technologies, either by training or giving us some freedom to explore on our own. The pay at Labatt is good, and Labatt always recognizes hard work.

Cons

Vacation days are limited, but Labatt has been very understanding when time off is needed.

"Striving for Excellence"

Current Employee - Senior Business Analyst in San Antonio, TX
    Current Employee - Senior Business Analyst in San Antonio, TX

I have been working at Labatt Food Service full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Labatt offers employees the opportunity to their best, while working on company critical initiatives and projects. The relatively flat organizational structure allows the company to be flexible and move quickly. If projects are deemed of less importance, Labatt will pivot to more important issues, so employees feel they are always working on projects that matter.

The culture at Labatt exemplifies this as all employees are willing to assist at any time to ensure project get completed successfully and on time.

The employees are made up of highly intelligent individuals who all have the drive to get the job done. It makes every day at Labatt challenging and fulfilling.

Cons

I really can't think of any cons. I wake up in the morning and am excited about going to work everyday.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing!

7. "We hate our experienced drivers"

Former Employee - Delivery Driver in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Delivery Driver in Dallas, TX

I worked at Labatt Food Service full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Nothing positive here to write about.

Cons

Treats their experienced drivers like outcasts. Favoritism toward new hires. Promoting inexperienced people and looking past more qualified individuals. Placing blame for others mistakes on certain individuals. Employees with lower positions making more money than those in higher positions. No raise in almost 2 years. Looked down on and treated like they never done anything for the company. You go against their system your days will be numbered. For example we had a manager that treated drivers fairly, they found a way to fire him. No communication to drivers, they keep everything close to the vest. 6 month trainees are being used as "one goes down then we have another to replace him. Got some news for you guys, your main source of business is schools, and the bottom is fixing to fall out. With all the experienced drivers leaving you will have nothing but 6 month guys to run those routes. Good luck with that.

Advice to Management

Start from scratch. Everything you are doing here isn't working at all. Go ahead though y'all do know everything.

"Great IT department"

Current Employee - Software Developer in San Antonio, TX
    Current Employee - Software Developer in San Antonio, TX

I have been working at Labatt Food Service full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

As a software developer you get to be involved in and learn about the business. You work in one of several small teams that each work closely with a business department to solve interesting problems and create innovative solutions.
    New developers get to jump right in with their own challenging projects.
    There is a large emphasis on training, reading, and other types of continued education to ensure that we are using the most up to date technologies and techniques.
    Very friendly co-workers and management.

Cons

Flat structure can be good and bad

Advice to Management

Keep up your emphasis on training and maintain your high standards.

9. "Crooks"

Former Employee - Route Driver
    Former Employee - Route Driver

I worked at Labatt Food Service full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Off weekends that's ok benefits good equipment too work with

Cons

Bad management still from drivers not family oriented pay sucks

Advice to Management

Fire all of them

10. "Hostile Work Experience/Discriminated Against Military Spouses"

Former Employee - Sales Administrative/Analyst in Albuquerque, NM
    Former Employee - Sales Administrative/Analyst in Albuquerque, NM

I worked at Labatt Food Service full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Fair salary and good hours.

Cons

Poor benefits, poor communication between management and new employees, poor job training, no room for error, hostile trainer, stifle creativity and opinions, low diversity

Advice to Management

Do not rely on "trusted" employees to fully train new employees. Check in with new staff to have them candidly speak of their experience. Give new employees a chance-do not terminate after 2 months with no warning. Watch your questions in the interview process-I was asked illegal personal questions about my relationship/marriage. Don't discriminate against hiring military spouses because they won't be with company for more than several years. Recognize desirability to improve work performance/learning curve. Pay ALL staff fairly that way they don't resent new employees earning much higher wages. If you want perfection, don't hire inexperienced new employees.