Labatt Food Service Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

3.6
Blair Labatt

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Advancement is available with hard work and proven mastership in your field (in 8 reviews)

• Lots of smart people work there (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • No vacation for the first year is difficult to get over at first (in 4 reviews)

• Manager who created a hostile work environment and whose unapproachable attitude made work a nightmare (in 4 reviews)

"A good place to learn and can be great for a long term career."

I worked at Labatt Food Service full-time

Pros

Financially stable company
    Reasonable hours
    Lots of smart people work there

Cons

Every job has "cons". There is nothing bad about Labatt that stands out from any place else.

"Good Money but there are trade-offs"

Former Employee - National Account Sales Executive in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - National Account Sales Executive in Houston, TX

I worked at Labatt Food Service full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Labatt is fair in business and really does want to help their customers.

Cons

It is a family-owned company. If you are in with the family, then you will do fine. They also focus on technology, so if you are a developer, you will be taken care of. If you are in sales and try, you will succeed. All other positions appear to be deemed as replaceable.

"Takes care of their people"

Current Employee - Marketing in San Antonio, TX
    Current Employee - Marketing in San Antonio, TX

I have been working at Labatt Food Service full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

I was hired by Labatt directly out of college. Labatt allowed me to learn all aspects of the business and through that find my place within the company. I'm still learning something new everyday and continuing to grow with Labatt. The company treats their employees like family. There is an open door policy with all management including the President and CEO. We as employees treat each other like family as well. Labatt is the perfect company to establish a career with and continue that career long term as you grow.

Cons

The location of the warehouse isn't desirable.

Advice to Management

Please continue to create a family-like atmosphere as we grow. The safety and support given is priceless and hard to find in a company.

"A Company That Creates Its Own Truth"

Former Employee - Office Employee in San Antonio, TX
    Former Employee - Office Employee in San Antonio, TX

I worked at Labatt Food Service full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

If you're lucky to have landed under a manager who has chosen to rise above the corporate culture perpetuated by the company's executive leadership, then you may have the chance to have a great experience with this company. However, if you land under a manager who has been born and bred into the Labatt culture, you may want to use this organization as a training ground and then switch to a company that will truly develop you to reach your potential.

There's a focus on learning, which is good and noble. However, learning is tailored to focus only on information that supports current company culture and structure of belief. Which is interesting because the learning and growth actually require the ability to disagree, new ideas and a development of a culture that supports employees, not executives.

Labatt hires plenty of young people, so if you may build a good network of friends. However, it's very difficult to maintain those friendships because Labatt corporate qualities eventually create a culture that becomes toxic for friendships. This company does not believe in building a community at work, quite the contrary, this company wants work to be life.

The organization does focus on philanthropy through the San Antonio Opera, which is honestly a great experience. It also focuses on community service through different local organizations in San Antonio, which is also great. But you often wonder if these things are done out of actual care for philanthropy, or out of the need to keep up an image.

Cons

The biggest con, culture. There are plenty of others, but culture is fundamental to the development of a company and the development of a young employee. There's not a day goes by where I show up to my new position and wonder why or how I managed to live within the Labatt culture for two years. It's toxic, life draining, demeaning and solely authoritative based.

The worst part about the culture is a complete disregard or lack of acknowledgement that the culture needs correction. Labatt believes, if you leave you just didn't embrace the culture. The reality is that you leave, because you take a look of the reality outside of Labatt and realize the culture of this company is insane.

Labatt perpetuates this culture by paying its employees far more than the expected salary for the area. People basically get bought into working in an environment where your executives overwork managers and managers believe they can treat subordinates that way. The simple fact that subordinates is used to describe people who are managed is demeaning and disgusting.

Advice to Management

As you enter a phase of change, pay close attention to how this culture continues to push away talent that is actually inventive and innovated. Don't be so scared to look at your framework and internal make up with a magnifying glass. There's a clear understanding of turnover in the blue collar sector of your company, use this to analyze your turnover and culture in the white collar sector of your company.

"A Company That Cares"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Antonio, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Antonio, TX

I have been working at Labatt Food Service full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

This company is constantly reinvesting their resources back into the company across its entire territory. Labatt is a company that is continually growing and bettering itself with each passing year. Since starting with Labatt 3 years ago, they have put millions of dollars into a brand new state of the art processing facility and updated multiple warehouses as well as create an on site clinic for its San Antonio office. Also, how many people can say that they work for a debt free company that is family owned and not publicly traded?

Cons

I do a great deal of traveling across multiple counties and am not given a company car or mileage; only a gas card that I pay the taxes on. I feel like I deserve a car allowance or a better plan for my travel that could potentially include a company car or mileage plan.

Advice to Management

Do not get complacent or assume that all employees are doing well. You should continually be making sure that subordinates are happy in their work and environments.

"Horrible company"

I have been working at Labatt Food Service full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Not a good company to work for

Cons

Exploits its drivers by making them come to work an hour early without pay, if you complain you get terminated for insubordination. They have a company manual, that they never go by and change it at whatever is convenient for them. They sell you company uniforms. This company has vacations, but you can't get them when you want, there are other drivers that have set apart vacations for ten years in advance, so you don't get many options.

"Business Class"

I have been working at Labatt Food Service full-time

Pros

This is a business of quality and believes in quality. Very technology driven and talented. A privately held family business built by family who believes in family, this is the place to be. The company works in teams and is great in accomplishing goals quickly. Coworkers and hires are very smart people and great to work with.

Cons

I am sure there is somethings out there that you can really pick apart if you dig deep enough, but why dwell on the negatives, they are overcome by all of the pros. I like working, so I love my job, my company, and supporting my family.

Advice to Management

- Keep maintaining the level intelligence on the new hires and continue the training of current employees. Remember, no one is as smart as all of us together.
    - Never deviate from our quality of standards
    - Continue the family tradition and the treatment of employees like family

"Working at Labatt"

I have been working at Labatt Food Service full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

I have been working at Labatt for 10 years, and I have enjoyed each and every year. I get to work with some of the smartest people I know every day. They have pushed me to be better at my job and are always available to help with any questions I need answered. At Labatt, I am part of a project team where each person plays a very important role. We get to be directly involved in decisions related to the business. This allows us to learn the business and to see how our end users relate to the systems we give them. Our iterative process for rolling out software gives us great reward because we are able to give our end users systems that will help them do their jobs efficiently. Labatt does a good job keeping us up to date on new technologies, either by training or giving us some freedom to explore on our own. The pay at Labatt is good, and Labatt always recognizes hard work.

Cons

Vacation days are limited, but Labatt has been very understanding when time off is needed.

"Great place to work!"

Current Employee - Business Analyst in San Antonio, TX
    Current Employee - Business Analyst in San Antonio, TX

I have been working at Labatt Food Service full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

When I was looking for a job a few years back, I had multiple offers from which to choose. I chose Labatt for a number of reasons and I have enjoyed working here ever since.

-Labatt hires the best so you get to work with smart people
    -Continuous learning is more than just lip service (ex. book club, conferences, onsite and offsite trainings)
    -Labatt is a company that has been around for many years and continues to enjoy year over year growth making it a very stable company to work for
    -Employees are given the freedom to solve problems instead of just doing what they are told (feels very entrepreneurial)
    -The corporate structure is generally flat allowing for easy communication of new ideas
    -New ideas are considered on their merits (ex. benefit to the company) rather than politics (ex. who thought of the idea)
    -We treat our customers as partners so that we grow together. This feels like the right way to do business and makes me proud to work at Labatt

Cons

Vacation benefits are a bit outdated

Advice to Management

Continue the high ethical standards that make me proud to work at Labatt.
    Continue hiring the best and brightest people as they are the lifeblood of the company.

"We hate our experienced drivers"

Former Employee - Delivery Driver in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Delivery Driver in Dallas, TX

I worked at Labatt Food Service full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Nothing positive here to write about.

Cons

Treats their experienced drivers like outcasts. Favoritism toward new hires. Promoting inexperienced people and looking past more qualified individuals. Placing blame for others mistakes on certain individuals. Employees with lower positions making more money than those in higher positions. No raise in almost 2 years. Looked down on and treated like they never done anything for the company. You go against their system your days will be numbered. For example we had a manager that treated drivers fairly, they found a way to fire him. No communication to drivers, they keep everything close to the vest. 6 month trainees are being used as "one goes down then we have another to replace him. Got some news for you guys, your main source of business is schools, and the bottom is fixing to fall out. With all the experienced drivers leaving you will have nothing but 6 month guys to run those routes. Good luck with that.

Advice to Management

Start from scratch. Everything you are doing here isn't working at all. Go ahead though y'all do know everything.