Labelmaster Reviews | Glassdoor

Rating Trends Rating Trends
Alan Schoen

"Great work/life balance"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I worked at Labelmaster full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Interesting projects, friendly co-workers, good benefits, understanding managers and rarely having to work over 40 hours a week(worked here for a year and only had to put in 50 hours total of 3 times)

Cons

Ok, let's me be honest. This software group is not perfect. It's on the small side. If one of your co-worker does not carry his or her load then someone else have to pick it up.

There were few who worked less than 32 hours a week for months and complaint about having to do too much work and not wanting to work 8 hours a day. When it was called out that they weren't producing, they whined and complained then left to other job.

They blame the culture or the management but they turned so salty when many of their unreasonable requests were turned down.

Advice to Management

More communication on what's going on

"Moving in the right direction"

Current Employee - Customer Success Associate in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Customer Success Associate in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Labelmaster full-time (More than a year)

Pros

New ERP system is starting to show its benefits

Cons

minimal vacation/sick time
    lower pay scale

Advice to Management

Start thinking of creative ways to motivate and keep employees engaged

"Exploitative and Aggressive Work Environment"

I worked at Labelmaster full-time

Pros

Easy application process, good health and dental benefits.

Cons

I was often asked to do work that was FAR outside of my pay grade. When I addressed this issue I was told that the companies awards those who stick with it basically. Once they had me doing work, for which others were being paid over 100% more, for a while they were going to consider paying me what the work is worth.
    The software department in Seattle runs on intimidation. Interdepartmental work is unfriendly and nit-picky. Instead of working together as a team to create the best product for the customer, the ideal is to passive-aggressively avoid the problems. Trying to avoid the issue all together or rejecting a problem because it was at first not explained 'the correct way'.

Advice to Management

Stop utilizing bullying as a part of your company structure.
    Stop pitting your departments against each other, this is not conducive to a customer focused business--as a software company should be.

"Needs a lot of work"

Former Employee - Staff Accountant in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Staff Accountant in Chicago, IL

I worked at Labelmaster full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Free parking, non management co-workers were great to work with! Great food for quarterly luncheons!!! One of the better Human Resources departments.

Cons

Upper Management it is really hard to describe what they do!! I have never experienced a management team such as this. They have absolutely no idea what they are doing!!
    Please for the continuation and growth of the company get rid of them!!

Advice to Management

LISTEN!!!

Labelmaster Response

Dec 8, 2016 – HR Manager

Thanks for the feedback, and for the HR shoutout!. As the primary planner for many luncheons, it is nice to see that they are appreciated (and that we're remembered for them). I am sorry to hear ... More

"Exploitative, Toxic, Unprofessional"

Former Employee - Senior Software Developer in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Senior Software Developer in Seattle, WA

I worked at Labelmaster (Less than a year)

Pros

They pay you. Many of your co-workers are very friendly. The interview process is effortless, almost anyone can get a job here.

Cons

I worked in the software development department of Labelmaster.

There is a severe culture of blame. Within two weeks of working here, I noticed a very common pattern of defensive communication. Within six weeks of working here, I discovered why when I received a written reprimand for poor performance - again, this is after only six weeks of full time salaried employment. I left immediately after this and couldn't be more confident about the decision. If I had stayed even a day longer, I would have had to join the CYA culture that every one of my co-workers was forced to adopt.

There is severe ignorance at all levels of management regarding technology. Task direction is extremely poorly communicated and never documented. Project direction is nearly nonexistent as a result of being subject to excessive review by executive committee. Arbitrary and fluid deadlines are strictly enforced with harsh blame and reprimands. Archaic, conservative business culture is forced on all employees.

Based on extremely high turnover in the software department (three other developers left within a week of me), Labelmaster will likely begin exploiting junior developers. Please be cautious.

Advice to Management

Abolish the blame culture, embrace more modern workplace values

""Was" a great company until re-organization."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I worked at Labelmaster full-time

Pros

Their HR department is one of the better ones I've seen. They are active in employee outings and do many events throughout the year to increase/ maintain employee moral (and believe me they need to). That being said, they did a great job at it.

Pay was competitive and benefits were also good.

Cons

After their long time CEO stepped down, they forced their CFO into the position. The new leadership that was put in place as a result of this change, really changed the culture of the company. Unfortunately, not in a good way.

Some of the new management put in place were some of the most unprofessional and inappropriate people I've ever worked with.

Advice to Management

Wiping out your older employees who had a long tenure with the company, has clearly shown that you are not better off today, then what you were yesterday. Company went top-dollar in hiring new executive management and re-organizing departments. Sadly, this did not influence their bottom line in a positive way. If it's not broke, don't fix it!

"Not a bad company"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Pros

People are treated fairly by the top management and they are basically good people. They are doing a needed remodeling throughout this location. Stable work environment and good benefits.

Cons

Some of the mid level managers have poor management skills. The pay is also a bit low compared to competition. I think the thing that surprised me the most with this company is they have zero sick days. I used to get ten sick days at the last company that I worked for.

Advice to Management

You must have some sick days. Even two sick days a year would be nice. I don't feel I should use my vacation time for sick days. Most companies I know of have sick days. I would say that is my top issue with this company,.

Labelmaster Response

Dec 8, 2016 – HR Manager

Thank you very much for the feedback. I think you'll agree that the remodel turned out very well. I am happy to see that you feel that our employees are treated fairly, as that is very important ... More

"Good Company"

Current Employee - Inside Sales in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Inside Sales in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Labelmaster (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good Atmosphere, Quality products, commitment to growth

Cons

Leadership meets so much there is not enough time to execute the ideas gained from said meeting

Advice to Management

meet less, execute more

"The Checks Never Bounce"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Labelmaster full-time

Pros

Good office location. Public transportation is available from nearly every part of the local area, and the free way is nearby.

Cons

Management leads through fear and intimidation, often handing handing out projects without knowing the end goals and then blaming the project leaders when those projects don't fit into an unknown criteria.

Given the chance, work/life balance would be non-existent.

Pay and benefits are below average.

Good luck getting anyone in HR to respond to you if you're not in an upper management position.

Lots of in-office politics and cliques that halt any forward movement on big projects until just before those projects need to be complete.

Employees are treated like objects, causing a large amount of turnover in recent years.

Management has, in the past, asked employees to post good reviews on Glassdoor to boost the employee rating.

Advice to Management

Stop treating people like they're interchangeable and get to know strengths and weaknesses. Leadership through intimidation is only going to keep the turnover high and break an already crumbling culture.

10. "Company is ready to take off!!!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Pros

- Good mix of talented and knowledgeable employees
    - Great company culture
    - Management is available, open, and honest
    - new operating system is a HUGE plus

Cons

- office environment is outdated
    - limited growth opportunities
    - limited training

Advice to Management

- continue to grow your employees with additional industry and job training