Laughlin/Constable Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

3.7
Mat Lignel

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "I can work from home, I can take off when I need to, I can leave early for a doctors appointment or dinner plans" (in 7 reviews)

• "Work/life balance is better than most agency's" (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • "Can be long hours, but that's to be expected in this industry" (in 3 reviews)

• "Overall, there is little to complain about working at LC" (in 2 reviews)

1. "Continues to Get Bigger & Better"

I have been working at Laughlin/Constable full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Most creatives are able to work on a wide breadth of clients.
    Because LC is independent, you're seen as more than "just a number," and you're valued for your expertise at all levels.
    Compared to other ad agencies in Chicago, the work/life balance at LC is superb. Majority of employees are able to leave work on time every day.
    Lots of awesome agency events and a relaxed culture – minimal dress code, open floor environment, and happy hours every couple of weeks.

Cons

Significantly lacks diversity.
    Can occasionally be slightly difficult working across two offices, but for the most part, the teams have solidified workarounds and ways to make it work.

"Disappointing"

I worked at Laughlin/Constable full-time

Pros

Work from Home
    Benefits
    Vacation Policy is alright

Cons

Poor Leadership
    No trust between Management and Staff
    Underpaid/over worked

3. "great creative team"

I worked at Laughlin/Constable full-time

Pros

Focused on great ideas, well executed. Digital team continues to grow and evolve adding firepower rarely seen elsewhere. Great work environment.

Cons

Should encourage individual learning and development more

Advice to Management

Great company with great heritage has turned the corner to a new kind of ad world, stay open minded and focused on ideas behind the execution

"Short-sighted, chaotic management; great work bees"

Former Employee - Creative Director in Milwaukee, WI
    Former Employee - Creative Director in Milwaukee, WI

I worked at Laughlin/Constable full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Some excellent Milwaukee and Chicago talent goes through its doors, resulting in some very beautiful work...however, the big talent doesn't stay because of management

The new Chicago office is beautiful, the Milwaukee office has some nice bits to it and some old areas that need updating

Cons

Their head of digital is awful...an unkind, short-sighted person

The remaining founder is trapped in ideas of what agencies should be from years ago, and is afraid of both change and what it takes to be an innovative agency in modern times

The agency as a whole WANTS to modernize its processes, offerings, and culture but the highest levels of management are so averse to change, letting younger minds shine, that they are becoming less relevant day by day. It is only by sheer will power of its younger employees that they aren't completely left in the dust by their contemporaries

They work you to death. I myself, along with at least two others, experienced stretches of 2-3 days where we didn't go home in order to prepare for deliverables/pitches, taking on all responsibilities without more senior members getting their hands dirty and sharing the load

5. "Project Manager"

I have been working at Laughlin/Constable full-time

Pros

Fun environment, flexible schedule, smart and dedicated team members

Cons

Stressful, long hours are expected sometimes

6. "Great Place to work"

I have been working at Laughlin/Constable full-time

Pros

Corporate culture is phenomenal - they care about their people

Cons

Moderately exciting clients and some parts of the space are dismal

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work

"Inconsistent Management"

I worked at Laughlin/Constable full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The ability to work on big name clients; working with some dynamic, creative individuals; you get the reputation of working with a well-known agency; decent benefits.

Cons

Inconsistent management across departments; no transparency on state of the agency; high turn over and low moral because of all of the above; you feel like just a number.

Advice to Management

Management and employee issues start at the top so start paying attention to why your employees are leaving. There are inconsistencies with management styles (including how unlimited PTO is used) across the company so focus on keeping it consistent.

"so much turnover"

Former Employee - Project Manager in Milwaukee, WI
    Former Employee - Project Manager in Milwaukee, WI

I worked at Laughlin/Constable full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Agency culture. No dress code. Parties in the office, if you like that sort of thing. Lots of creative people who have fun at work.

Cons

Lack of job security. Too many layoffs, including employees walked out without notice. High pressure and long hours for certain teams. No overtime pay or bonuses. Cliques in senior leadership with no input requested from people doing the work.

Would not recommend if you can work as a software developer or software professional in non-agency environment.

Advice to Management

Welcome input from people outside the ad community. Take care of your people. Encourage collaboration and input from everyone. More transparency.

"Strong agency looking for the next toehold..."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Laughlin/Constable full-time

Pros

Recent top-level creative hires show LC is pushing for next-level work and awards. Above-the-line work is getting stronger, and I've never heard "we can't do that" come out of anyone's mouth – even from Account and Strategy folks.

Work/life balance is better than most agency's. If you set boundaries, they'll respect them. Fun agency culture, there's frequent opportunities to mix, get to know each other outside of projects, etc.

Cons

Twin offices in CHI (where I'm at) and MKE means attention and energy sometimes get divided. The usual mild chaos pops up in projects, in terms of project management, account services and creatives aligning.

But in 19 years of being in advertising, I have yet to work at an agency where "fire drills" and "Oh S**t" moments don't happen. Just the nature of the beast, really.

Advice to Management

Stay the course. Keep trusting in ideas that make people squirm a bit. With current people in place, there's no reason why LC can't start building new awards shelves...

"Mehhhhh"

I have been working at Laughlin/Constable full-time

Pros

Flexible scheduling, cool co workers

Cons

C-level leadership is sub par, HR is the worst, it's a good-'ol-boy-club

Advice to Management

It's a volatile culture and there's no light at the end of the tunnel. This is something that's past being fixed by the "Fun Committee" and "Popcorn Thursday". There is a serious lack of trust in management and leadership. Many of the great people that work here are fleeing to other companies. There is a mass exodus happening...