Laughlin/Constable Reviews

Updated Jul 1, 2020

3.5
Laughlin/Constable President & CEO Mat Lignel (no image)
Mat Lignel
Pros
Cons
  • "unlimited PTO is a joke, most people are too overworked to even take time off(in 4 reviews)

• "Can be long hours, but that's to be expected in this industry(in 3 reviews)

1. COVID-19

"Great Agency"

I have been working at Laughlin/Constable full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

-The Leadership team has been very diligent and showed urgency and transparency while managing the current covid crisis. -The people here: I love my colleagues, it's a group of very smart and nice people. The agency was on Crain Chigaco's Top 100 Places to Work for 2 years in a row, it's easy to feel why, it's a good culture. -There is a constant drive to improve and do better that permeates the entire agency. It's rewarding to see how your own work and your colleagues' help improve the agency and its clients. -It's a midsize agency, so you fee like you and your efforts really matter.

Cons

The agency has had some cultural challenges through the last year, but they acknowledged that and took steps to improve it.

Continue reading

"Horrible management, severely lacking in diversity"

1.0
    Former Employee - Account Coordinator in Chicago, IL

I worked at Laughlin/Constable full-time for more than a year

Pros

Very few individuals were great

Cons

- Very little diversity given the urban location. Their lack of diversity hurts the work culture and their ability to serve diverse clients - HR is useless if you have any issues including racial comments by your coworkers -Management lacks training on how to support and develop their employees - Upper management plays favorites - Old school corporate values (e.g. working from home and common areas is shunned) - Unlimited PTO is false - Brown nosers will love it here - Very cliquey

3. "Good Culture"

2.0
    Former Employee - Account Coordinator

I worked at Laughlin/Constable full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great parties and great work environment

Cons

Management. Managers need training on supporting and coaching their employees!.

4. "A Truly Lovely Place To Work"

4.0
    Former Employee - Copywriter in Chicago, IL

I worked at Laughlin/Constable full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

I worked at Laughlin Constable for over three years. It was an awesome place to develop as a young creative. I got lots of rep and great mentorship for many years. The people working here are absolutely wonderful and the culture during my tenure was outstanding. GREAT work/life balance. Desire to do top creative work. Very respectful and organized work environment. The CEO is such an amazing leader and a genuinely great guy. This is a place where your hard work creatively will lead to continued opportunities to do great creative work. Very good benefits package.

Cons

- Despite a continued desire to "do famous work" their clientele and budgets make it very hard. Not sure how much of it falls on creative leadership's ability to "sell in" good work and keep good ideas executable and simple. - They need to find a CCO who can last and do the job well (but at least they know that). - You often have to go up to Milwaukee for the day. At first, it's kinda fun but it gets old very fast. - Pay is below average. You will have to scratch and claw for every dollar and even then good luck. - They say "unlimited" PTO but there are definitely strong limits.

Continue reading
  5. "If you want to be really busy...."

4.0
    Former Employee - Media

I worked at Laughlin/Constable full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Clients keep you crazy busy.

Cons

Clients keep you busy making changes and revisions.

6. "Great culture"

Current Employee - Social Strategist

I have been working at Laughlin/Constable full-time for more than a year

Pros

You get great experience working on a range of clients.

Cons

There can be a lack of communication.

"All talk, no follow through"

1.0
    Former Employee - Creative in Milwaukee, WI

I worked at Laughlin/Constable full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Some genuinely nice, smart co-workers in places.

Cons

Agency never kept pace with modern, integrated, digital space. Creative department still entrenched in traditional ideas, outdated, familiar, emulated concepts. Available agency resources create a risk-averse environment that inhibits growth, and ability to take chances doing great work. It feels like an old agency from the 90's in structure and thinking.

"Company that's barely treading water"

2.0

I worked at Laughlin/Constable full-time for less than a year

Pros

Relaxed office culture, Cool office space, great tech (laptops and monitors),

Cons

unlimited PTO is a joke, most people are too overworked to even take time off Very inclusive, clique culture that is hard for new people to break into Real financial problems, lots of layoffs, not winning new business and losing scope on existing business Most accounts are understaffed Management is not transparent about the company's struggle Leadership is living in the past, haven't been able to stay relevant in digital marketing space

"Excellent Growing Experience with Extremely Friendly People"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Milwaukee, WI

I worked at Laughlin/Constable full-time for more than a year

Pros

Members of the development team were by far the best part of the job. Everyone is extremely friendly and happy to help. Whether it's being added for a code review or brainstorming through a problem. When I joined, I was definitely a green employee and probably pretty frustrating to work with. However, no one ever made me feel that I was an idiot and I have them to thank for how much I've grown. Also, flexible hours which were great as I'm quite a night owl. Working from home is common. Have many holidays off and half days.

Cons

Unlimited PTO starts as a plus, but the culture seems to push that since it's unlimited, you shouldn't take any unless you don't have any deadlines close by, which never happens. However, might just be pressure that I put on myself. Also, very heavy drinking culture. Can be a lot of fun, but there seems to be an idea that unless you hang out outside of work, you aren't really a part of the team. Gets hard on the liver.

10. "Intern"

I worked at Laughlin/Constable part-time

Pros

A great place to work! The people truly want to help.

Cons

I wish I had more a variety in day-to-day work.

Found 69 reviews