Level Up Development Reviews | Glassdoor

Level Up Development Reviews

Updated September 28, 2017

Eric Marshall

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Competitive Startup, Tight-knit development team"

Current Employee - Web Applications Developer in Indianapolis, IN
    Current Employee - Web Applications Developer in Indianapolis, IN

I have been working at Level Up Development full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Pay/Benefits:

- Competitive salary (for company size)
    - Health insurance for full-time employees
    - Flexible work hours
    - Remote work options available
    - Consultancy/Part-Time options available
    - Junior/Mid-level friendly

Culture:

- The occasional free company outing, such as going to a restaurant, having drinks after work or going to TEDx Indianapolis

- Very relaxed environment, where we talk about tech, our favorite games, drinks, restaurants or even have the occasional rant about the technologies we're using

- Also a very positive environment. We haven't hired anyone who doesn't genuinely enjoy fullstack
    web applications development.

Management:

- Self-accountability philosophy of management. (Ex: If you're good at what you do, no one here is going to bother you.)

- No unnecessary overtime here. I've done overtime and work done is based on billable hours, which sometimes means I've worked more time than I've billed, but it's never been excessive and I've never been blamed for anything that wasn't actually my fault.

- Management shields us from any messy aspects of the business, such as frustrated clients, billing, legal aspects, etc. We'll take any client we think we can help, but if a project ever hits a snag (whether a temporary bump or relationship-hurting), the dev team doesn't have to worry too much about it.

Tech:

- Ticket tracking system
    - Open to new/modern technology
    - Focuses on good architecture and modern development approaches over immediate client demands (unless they really push for it)
    - Roughly 2-week agile cycles on most projects until crunch time kicks in

Cons

- Doesn't have a huge snack bar like some other companies do, but most of us go down to Marsh or a local restaurant to eat, anyways.

- Not quite up to using Node.JS, client-side application frameworks, automated browser testing, SignalR, etc. yet, but I think that'll happen as soon as we find some free time and/or some of the technologies become more standardized within the Microsoft ecosystem. (If that ever happens.)

"Hot mess"

I worked at Level Up Development full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Salary was decent for junior developers

Cons

CEO - highly manipulative and changes his mind at the drop of a hat. That means constantly redoing work. Because he reads a couple different blog articles, he thinks he is an expert at UX, design, development, and QA. Often he dictates changes that the client doesn't want for the purpose of billing extra hours.

The managers there have promise but are constantly tied up by his constant ramblings and are unable to make any real, positive changes.

CEO is so bad that his previous partner chose to up and leave the business. There is no right answer with him. He knows everything and doesn't feel like he has to listen to anyone about anything. ANYTHING! He once told me that my lunch was gross because it wasn't from his preferred sushi restaurant. Now imagine that type of ego telling you how to develop.

The turnover here is extremely high. And after people put in their two weeks, he dismisses them early and usually sends some kind of hateful message after.

And for those that think oh, well its the CEO so I won't have much involvement... He will be involved, standing over your shoulder, constantly. Telling you to move a box a pixel over or to indent differently with no rhyme or reason.

Culture - Previous reviews talk about the fun things everyone went out and did. We also did those things, but they were not company sponsored. The staff there is phenomenal, but I wouldn't be surprised if, by the time this review is posted, they left for other positions. The office is basically a bullpen. The walls don't go all the way to the ceiling so we would constantly get yelled at to be quiet, even when we were discussing actual work issues. If you leave to have your conversations, you get disciplined for that. It's a lose-lose situation.

Also, you have to log your time down to 15 min. So if you do 17 different things in a day, you will log 17 different times. If it doesn't equal at least 8 hours (good luck figuring out your lunch break) then you will have to use your PTO to make up the time.

There are no sick days and even though you signed a contract, CEO changes the PTO policy at any time. Then it's your choice to lose your job or your PTO so that's great.

Overall, I wouldn't recommend this company to people I don't like, let alone people that I do.

Advice to Management

Management was good, but they spent so much time cleaning up CEOs messes that they neglected staff.

3. "Designers beware"

Pros

Tech startup and exciting to work on multiple projects

Cons

-No internal process or expectations set, this is intentional to ensure management can change expectations at any time
    -UX design process completely disregarded, final decisions are based upon color and visual preferences internally by management, regardless of client needs and requirements
    -Promises made to clients with out a full understanding of the requirements needed to scope design work or consultation with the design team, resulting in unrealistic an grossly miscalculated deliverables to client
    -Unprofessional and hostile work environment
    -Lack of understanding of design artifacts and deliverables by management, resulting in deliverables being dictated and produced by non designers regardless of needs framed by UX design team
    -Deliverables and design artifacts thrown out based on last minute ideas from management regularly, leading to client confusion and lack of trust
    -Lack of willingness to understanding of design process by management lead to 80 hour weeks regularly

4. "We are an amazing little company. A little biased though since I'm a partner."

Current Employee - Member in Indianapolis, IN
    Current Employee - Member in Indianapolis, IN

I have been working at Level Up Development full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Lets see, we are a young and growing company that prides ourselves on being the best at what we do.

Cons

We are young so we learn some things here an there. Not sure that's a con though.

Advice to Management

Your amazing!!!

5. "Marketing Coordenator"

Former Employee - Marketing Coordinator in São Paulo, São Paulo (Brazil)
    Former Employee - Marketing Coordinator in São Paulo, São Paulo (Brazil)

I worked at Level Up Development full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good working environment, very fun and challenging

Cons

the disadvantage is that in Brazil , the market is not heated and the quality of the internet does not help.

Advice to Management

Organize a career system for officials