Lever Reviews

4.4
Lever Founder and CEO Nate Smith
Nate Smith
Pros
Cons
  • "Definitely has growing pains, but nothing gets better by staying the same(in 23 reviews)

• "We do have turnover like any company, which can be frustrating, but it comes with the territory of being a growing startup(in 7 reviews)

1. "Great Culture and Product"

I have been working at Lever full-time for more than a year

Pros

I've worked with some of the most motivated and empathetic people in my career at Lever. It's no coincidence that most here will cite the people as the best part of working here. Individuality and diversity are not just tolerated but encouraged. We are truly a product-focused company and it shows. Within my team, I feel there are clear expectations as well as ample opportunities for collaboration and feedback. I've always felt that I can be honest here at all levels of the org and that my say matters. I've not only been able to grow in my role but also been able to have fun and make lifelong friends in the process. When I first joined, I definitely was not prepared for how friendly people were and this hasn't worn off. The sense of community with my fellow Leveroos is the best.

Cons

We've hit quite a few speed bumps as a company during my time here: leadership changes, re-prioritizations, and a recent RIF. I appreciate management's efforts to ensure that voices are heard and people feel supported. We're still figuring things out but transparency from the top down has recently increased and I feel we're on a path to being more aligned than ever. Ultimately, if you want to work at a comfortable/mature startup that's got a lot of structure and has everything figured out... this may not be your place! Things change quickly and being able to be flexible is key here. If you can handle that, this is a great place to learn, grow, and gain exposure.

May 29, 2020CEO

Thank you for taking the time to share your review—I'm sure it is helpful to many others! I'm happy to hear that the quality of our team, cultural values, clarity of expectations, and opportunities for growth top your list of reasons to work at Lever. We have a great team of managers and leaders to thank for helping to create that kind of environment. Thank you for your contributions to Lever's culture and customer experience. Each of us contribute to the positive environment and quality of our product. Best, Nate

2. COVID-19

"A one-of-a-kind place to work"

5.0

I have been working at Lever full-time

Pros

Hands-down best product in the market, that doesn't focus only on winning the "features war" but also on solving customers' fundamental pain points. A team that holds itself to an extremely high bar on adding value to customers and staying ahead of the market. Exceptionally talented, driven, and kind people, from top to bottom. Tech is full of smart people, but it's hard to find a team so focused on winning together as a team. This is a company trying to do hard things and hard things are hard, but for the most part I've found that people at Lever look out for one another, support and celebrate each other, and challenge each other to be better. This has been extra clear in the middle of the pandemic, when so much is uncertain and there are extra challenges in our way. The team has stuck together and been amazing at helping each other through this weird time. In my experience, most tech companies fall in one of two extremes: either they are "all-business" and "grow at all cost" with questionable regard toward doing the right things, or they skew too far toward placating every employee wish at the expense of running an actually sustainable business (which ultimately comes back to bite their people). Lever is a company that balances the two in a way that's really been impressive to me. Especially over the past few months, the company has very intentionally focused the whole team on business performance and efficiency to make sure we're making smart business decisions as a group, while also continuing to invest in supporting people through this unique time and finding opportunities to bring the team together and celebrate wins. Ultimately, as someone who's both a shareholder and an employee, this is the balance I want to see my company strike.

Cons

Lever is not an "easy" place to work. Expectations are high and everyone is asked to keep "raising the bar" (it's one of our work values). This means that sometimes hours can be long. I appreciate that the company has recently been intentionally encouraging everyone to take time off.

May 26, 2020CEO

Thank you for sharing your perspective. I was so excited to see that your first words were about our focus on customer value! That has always been my wish for our culture: that we'd bring together talented, driven people who create excellent things in service of our customers and users. I'm impressed by the thoughtfulness of your perspective, and I'm proud to have you on the team. Thank you, Nate

3. COVID-19

"High hopes, but disappointing experience"

2.0
    Former Employee - Sales

I worked at Lever full-time

Pros

- I was fortunate to work with some truly talented, intelligent, and highly motivated co-workers - The product is the best hiring software on the market. Always fun to work at a company with a great product

Cons

- In just a year at Lever, the company went through several "restructurings" aka layoffs. Despite having a good product, the business has not been run particularly well - The COVID layoff was very poorly handled. No transparency, everyone was immediately cut off from each other, follow-up information was extremely lacking. It was done with little-to-no empathy. There's no "good" way to handle a layoff, but for a company that purports to care about its employees, this was extremely disappointing - The company culture felt fake. The company "values" were very surface-level - I was subject to multiple experiences of management being extremely disparaging toward myself and other subordinates. I was not the only one who experienced this. Managers who were genuine and kind were let go, while managers who were borderline abusive and underperforming remain

June 4, 2020CEO

I hear you, and I hope you'll extend me the opportunity to take the next step. Would you be willing to email me more detail on the negative management experiences you referenced? Without managers that exhibit our values, we cannot achieve the cultural values that Lever's brand stands for. I'd like the opportunity to make good on your advice: We have taken major steps to lead the business more effectively, we are continuing to uphold our same company values, and I'd like to take this opportunity to show you respect. Thank you, Nate

4. COVID-19

"Easily the best job I've ever had"

Current Employee - Lead Recruiter in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Lever full-time for more than a year

Pros

-The people at Lever are wonderful. There aren't a lot of egos and everyone is really approachable and friendly. -My team is awesome - everyone is really smart and good at their job. It makes work so much more fun, when you have a good team. -Lever really cares about diversity and it shows. While there are no doubt areas of improvement, the investment makes me confident that we'll get there. -The transparency from leadership through this crisis has been admirable. I feel like I know where we stand and I understand where we are as a business. -There is a focus on working cross-functionally which makes us a more cohesive team and means that we can accomplish more.

Cons

-COVID has hit Lever really hard and we're still navigating through that, which is tough. However, I have a lot of confidence that we will make it though. -Startups come with a lot of ambiguity and change. This isn't unique to Lever, but we're also not immune to it. You have to thrive in this kind of environment to be happy and successful at Lever.

May 21, 2020CEO

Thanks for taking the time to share your experience! I share your confidence that we'll navigate the pandemic with our customers and users in focus, and I believe we'll emerge a stronger company. Operating as a cash flow positive business gives us the certainty that we can provide continuity and help our customers adapt to a changing world. I anticipate that new opportunities will emerge as we see talent supply exceed demand in many cases. Thanks again for your thoughts! Nate

5. "Great opportunities"

4.0
    Former Employee - Full Stack Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Lever full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Lever really invests in the hiring process to find the right people that will create a supportive environment with diversity and inclusion. The team that works here is amazing and it makes working much more enjoyable. Leadership opportunities are available and managers really work with you to try to get you what you're looking for in terms of career growth.

Cons

Resources are limited and it means in order to do everything we wanted to do, it meant people putting in a lot of time. It is possible to have work/life balance if you want it at Lever though. It possibly means not being able to get as much done as your coworkers so it depends on what you want. We also used to be much closer as a an entire company but cohesion across the company didn't feel like it scaled with the growth of the company.

May 27, 2020CEO

Thanks for taking the time to share your review. I am glad that you found value in our efforts to hire well and create an inclusive environment. I'm also glad that you had the experience of a manager who worked with you on your career growth. I hear you on the challenges, too; I appreciate your balanced take on the tradeoffs. I'm glad that you experienced the cohesion of Lever as a smaller company. While I'm excited for the challenges and impact we can have as a bigger team, that was a special time for me as well. Thank you for contributing to building Lever as a product and as a company. Sincerely, Nate

"Start-up with some problems"

2.0
    Former Employee - Sales

I worked at Lever full-time for more than a year

Pros

Lever knows how to hire great people and that helped in creating a decent work environment

Cons

Lever's leadership made some questionable decision that ultimately led to high employee turnover, under performance across the entire company, and created distrust as most candidates were oversold.

May 26, 2020CEO

Thanks for providing feedback on your experience—I'm sorry to hear it wasn't better. I agree with leadership taking accountability for performance, including employee retention. I also agree with you that we've hired great people, making managers' and leaders' responsibilities all the greater. One of the most important things we're doing right now is to improve our structure for decision making. In particular, we've emphasized OKRs, which provide every individual greater focus, alignment, opportunity, and agility in times of change. Thank you again for the feedback, and I wish you the best in your next role. - Nate

"Lever is hands-down the best company that I've ever been a part of."

Current Employee - Sales in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Lever full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Lever is hands-down the best company that I've ever been a part of. Lever is such a special place that truly invests in its people (and their respective career growth). Leadership at all levels is the best I've seen at any company I've worked ever for. One of Lever's core values is Cross-Functional Empathy, and this is something that you can just feel every day you walk into the office. People here genuinely care and want the best for each other -- There's no sense of a "dog-eat-dog" environment which is unfortunately pretty common at a lot of Bay Area tech companies. Just as great as the SF office is Lever's newest office in Toronto. The relationship between the two offices, although in two very different places in the world, is so impressive to watch grow. There's transparency, collaboration and a real energy that brings the best out of all Leveroos, and really makes it feel like 1 team, 1 dream. The all-hands meetings delivered by our CEO, Sarah, are so captivating and motivating --- and there's a real sense of transparency from the top-down.

Cons

There was some shifting/merging of a couple of teams in mid-2019 that put a few folks/teams in a tough position and asked them to work in a different role than they were hired for. This had a little bit of a hit on morale for a few months, but the company has come much stronger because of it -- and I believe in a much better position to succeed and continue our growth upmarket. Silverlining: E-Staff has done a really good job of calling out this shift, explaining the why, and making the reasons clear to the rest of the org. They didn't ignore the elephant in the room.

Continue reading
  8. "A high-growth company doing high-growth company things, but with an exceptional culture and focus on vision"

I have been working at Lever full-time for more than a year

Pros

- The company takes a genuinely vision-driven approach to the product. It's exciting to work on a team redefining how enterprise SAAS products can be built. - We don't see incredibly high standards for our work and a culture of respect and inclusion as a dichotomy. We are deeply committed to both. - The organization and product are both positioned to accelerate and scale rapidly, and we're building for growth in a sustainable way. - The people are genuinely some of the best you can find in tech. There's a real sense of humor. We take our work and product seriously, but don't have a culture of taking ourselves too seriously. - The team, including our execs, care about building a great product and a great company.

Cons

- Not many companies go through the stages of growth Lever is experiencing, and like any other organization in our position we're constantly encountering growing pains. They're a symptom of doing well, but to be successful here you have to enthusiastically embrace the challenge. - Our internal communication can be inconsistent.

Continue reading
  9. "A company with heart, passion and the will to win"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Lever full-time for less than a year

Pros

I've been at Lever now for 8+ months, and have thoroughly enjoyed my experience. I have worked for extensive periods of time at other very successful companies, and I can say first hand, Lever has what it takes to win - in the market place and with its employees. I have learned in my time here that the Leaders here are passionate about our market opportunity and strategy to win it, and have the will to make the difficult decisions to help a company go from one hyper-growth phase, and evolve in order to reach the next one. Very few start-up SaaS companies reach a certain $ARR milestone to even call itself a viable, long term player in its space. Lever has most certainly blasted through some of those early milestones and is within reach of the next set of big ones in the very near term. But as any company that goes through growth experiences, it's unlikely you reach your future milestones without changing how you operate in certain pockets of the business - to be agile and willing to adapt/evolve to more complex customer (and future customer) needs and how to support them in new and modern ways to meet them where they are in their growth and help them anticipate what they need most to be successful. Lever has made those changes - and for the better - and as a result, is on a terrific path to scaling with its existing and new customers.

Cons

Wish we were hiring even faster in areas of growth. We have a strong/aggressive hiring plan as-is, given we recently completed our 2020 plan and well underway already. But given the large and growing market opportunity in front of us, I can't wait for us to be able to double the size of the team and keep building on the current momentum in several of our core go-to-market segments.

"Something Special"

5.0

I have been working at Lever

Pros

The sales culture and Leadership is by far the best I’ve worked with in years. We are at an inflection point and the entire company is coming together to build something truly special. We’re still a startup and have that “roll up your sleeves” mindset to just get stuff done and make our mark. AND we have adults in the room ;-) I’m really excited about our future and more importantly the people I get to make it with. While no company is perfect, there’s no place I’d rather be right now than Lever.

Cons

We made some strategic mistakes last year that we have remedied and are looking to rebuild a few key functions so things might be a bit bumpy in the short term.

Found 138 reviews