Lever Reviews | Glassdoor

4.7
Lever Founder, CEO Sarah Nahm
Sarah Nahm

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • The focus on diversity and inclusion is sincere and effective (in 12 reviews)

• There is a huge emphasis on cross-functional empathy and it shows (in 10 reviews)

Cons
  • Typical startup growing pains are present here, but not overwhelming (in 7 reviews)

• It's a tough time right now for Lever (which happens with any growing company, especially at this size) (in 6 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Smart and thoughtful co-workers, deliberate and inclusive culture, strong GIF game"

I have been working at Lever full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I joined Lever in 2015 as their first-ever intern, and when I graduated this year, I returned to join the company full-time. In the two years since I interned Lever, Lever has progressed in many ways from growing from 40 to over 100 employees to building a variety of new features.

Why did I come back? Here are a few reasons (in no particular order):

- The people are kind and thoughtful. Beyond that, there’s something special about people here that I can’t quite put my finger around, but in short, they're awesome.

- Cross team collaboration and empathy is a big one. During my internship, I had the opportunity to work with and learn from Leveroos outside of the engineering team, which helped me better understand how Lever operates. Also, cross functional empathy (XFE) is especially evident on in the way we recognize each other, celebrating small (and large) wins, and share knowledge.

- There’s an incredible amount of transparency across teams and also between the executive team and the rest of the company.

- Lever’s willing to invest in people development. They’re not just looking for skills, they’re also looking for potential.

- HR is an interesting and often overlooked space, and I like what Lever's building.

Other Pros of Lever:
    - Catered lunches and plenty of snacks
    - Action-oriented company values
    - People regularly raising the bar
    - Strong GIF game (To get a sneak peek, check out the February 2016 Lever blogpost)
    - Openness to feedback

Cons

Honestly, most of the downsides of working at Lever revolve around us being a startup and growing rapidly. Some of the downsides include:

- We have a good amount of tribal knowledge, and that doesn’t scale well (and we do some documentation, but we don’t have a centralized source of truth (that I know of/yet)).

- Lever’s growing quickly, and it’s getting harder to get to know everyone in the office.

- We’re still a relatively small team working on an interesting and complex problem, so it’s not unusual for people to come in early, stay late, and continue conversations on Slack outside of the typical work hours.

- To my knowledge, we haven’t reached a consensus on whether gif is pronounced with a soft ‘g’ (like jif peanut butter) or a hard ‘g’ (like gift) - I know there are articles out there, but still.

Advice to Management

- Lever has unique qualities and traditions that may be difficult to preserve as the company grows. It may not be feasible to keep them exactly as-is, but we should find the nuggets of each and be sure to keep those with us as we scale.

- The fact that Lever was built by first-time founders and has achieved so much in the past few years truly illustrates how incredible our exec team is (not advice, but a general comment).

- Lever’s in a tricky (yet powerful) position where people are looking to us when it comes to recruiting and its future. We should “leverage” that and not only raise the bar when it comes to industry standards, but we should set the bar and be the bar that others can reference and strive towards.

Lever Response

Nov 17, 2017 – VP, People

Thank you for the fantastic review! I agree with all of your points and am so excited for what Lever is doing for the industry. Being a former recruiter, I’m excited for the challenge of raising the... More

2. "Career and Personal Growth Focus - Feeling very lucky to work here!"

Current Employee - Sales Manager in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Sales Manager in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Lever full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I've been at Lever for 1.5 years and feel extremely fortunate to work here. I've seen my career and skill set grow dramatically in such a short time because Lever takes the time to invest in their people. Lever doesn't just talk the talk when it comes to employee development, career paths and diversity inclusion - there's a lot of action to back those initiatives.

I also notice that the types of people the company attract are a unique combination of extremely ambitious, humble and team oriented. I consistently feel challenged because the work my peers are contributing sets a high bar but I also feel like everyone is rooting me on vs competing to be better than each other.

I find myself excited to go back to work on Mondays (my friends laugh at me for saying this!) because my team is so fun/kind/smart and the work feels really rewarding.

Also from a sales perspective - this product is a dream to sell. It works as you're told it will and is a dramatic improvement to the technologies our prospects are used to seeing. There's still tough competition out there so you're earning every deal you close but it always feels like we are fighting the good fight

Cons

Your normal startup growing pains - you need to be your own advocate especially as you ramp-up because the process is not standardized and we have so many people coming in at different stages in their career. Determine what your gaps are and proactively ask for help/resources.

The neighborhood is a bit dicey. I've never had a problem in the last year and a half but 6th and Market but you need to be extra aware of your surroundings, especially at night. I don't think this is a permanent problem as we're quickly outgrowing out office but it's something you should be aware of.

Advice to Management

Less advice more a thank you for being conscious of the employee experience, asking for feedback and always taking action on that feedback. It's so refreshing!

Lever Response

Dec 1, 2017 – VP, People

Thanks for taking time to write a review! We absolutely do take employee development, career growth, and D&I seriously, so it’s wonderful to hear that you've experienced that first-hand. It's rare... More

3. "Opportunity + Smart and Thoughtful Coworkers"

I have been working at Lever full-time

Pros

Thoughtful and intelligent coworkers inspire me every moment that I'm at Lever. Every person here has something unique to offer and it's really a dream that they're all in one place. Everyone eats together at lunch and it truly feels like a family even while it grows.

Cons

There is always opportunity at a startup with a unique product and value prop, you just have to figure out where you fit in - sometimes that doesn't happen immediately.

Advice to Management

You're the best!

4. "A great place to truly develop"

Current Employee - Customer Success in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Customer Success in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Lever full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Lever is very thoughtful in how we hire and onboard our new employees. This allows everyone to have a holistic view of the company and from day 1 embody one of our values, which is cross functional empathy.

We are also very lucky to have strong leadership that invests in our learning. This is the first company I've worked with that gives training on your role, not just your function.

The team as a whole works closely together to ensure success and challenges each other to strive for more.

Cons

Sometimes we can be too thoughtful in how we make decisions, which means that we are slow to execute.

Our health insurance benefits are less than what I've had in the past, it still covers the minimum needs, but we could have a more robust offering.

Advice to Management

Continue investing in your people so that we are excited to come to work. Keep your eyes on our big goals and don't be afraid to execute more quickly.

5. "Opportunity to own your role and make an impact"

I have been working at Lever full-time (More than a year)

Pros

This is one of the best opportunities to own your role, learn and grow, and make an impact. I feel like everyone here really cares about the company's overall mission in innovating the talent tech space just as much as they care about the job they get to do. People here are really some of the most genuine and compassionate people. The company shows that they really care about you beyond just your job but also for you as an person too. I value that this company is very big on diversity and inclusion efforts to help everyone feel like they belong and that they a place to be themselves while doing good work. There's also a lot of work celebrations and events that help to bring people from across the entire organization closer together.

Cons

Sometimes it feels like change is a little difficult for some people to accept which makes it harder for newcomers to suggest new ideas for improvement. The culture is almost "too polite" that employees find it hard to give proper feedback or to ask the hard questions that would help to elevate quality and direction for one another (both amongst peers and managers). This makes it difficult for processes, hiring, and development to move quickly as we scale.

Advice to Management

Hold each other accountable: There are a lot of big goals being set and everyone must play their part. We always celebrate when we reach a goal, but we are not taking feedback, not taking steps to identify problems, nor defining next steps for improvement when we are not successful with other goals.

6. "Sales Development Representative"

Current Employee - Sales Development Representative in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Sales Development Representative in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Lever full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The best part of working at Lever is that the company really values their employees. Everyone is very welcoming and genuinely wants to help the company succeed. Leadership is very transparent in the goals and mission of the company. Lever also strives to have a diverse and inclusive workforce, where the employee ratio is 50/50 male and female. The diversity of people brings a diversity of thought, which ultimately drives innovation.

Cons

Currently, I have no cons.

Advice to Management

Continue being transparent with the company. You guys are all rockstars!

7. "Absolutely love this place!"

I have been working at Lever full-time

Pros

I'm so happy with my decision to join the Lever Team. Lever is full of motivated, smart, and interesting people who genuinely care about what we are doing in the talent acquisition space.

We've recently hired some really amazing leadership in both the sales and engineering teams and this has already made an incredible impact. I legitimately enjoy going into work every day.

Perks
    - AMAZING coworkers
    - outstanding execs and leadership
    - Catered lunch every day
    - gym stipend
    - commuter stipend
    - great workspace with plenty of room

Cons

Nothing. We are hitting our stride and it's awesome to be a part of.

Advice to Management

Continue to hire the best people. Keep hiring great leadership and don't compromise our talent. Continue investing in diversity and inclusion and a dedication to our product and the people that we help.

8. "Love Lever"

I have been working at Lever full-time

Pros

Such a fun, motivated company with lots of expected growth in the future

Cons

There literally are not any

9. "I love working here."

I have been working at Lever full-time

Pros

The smartest, most thoughtful and inclusive organizations that I have ever been a part of. There is a huge emphasis on cross-functional empathy and it shows. Everyone is encouraged to raise the bar by being the bar.

Cons

Honestly no cons! Still very much a startup, which is only a con for those who are uncomfortable with change and the unknown.

10. "Best candidate experience, EVER"

I have been working at Lever full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

As a previous recruiter, I was sure to pay close attention to my candidate experience for all companies I was interviewing with. Wow, can I just say I was blown away by the transparency, communication, and warmth that this company has provided? I've never felt more wanted and important to an employer before. Not only was my candidate experience great, but working here so far has been phenomenal, from the leaders in place, to my colleagues, to the activities planned. I've never had so much support from a team before and this is the most refreshing change I've experienced thus far. I am looking forward to what the future holds.

Cons

Is it possible to be too nice as a con?