Lever Reviews | Glassdoor

4.6
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Sarah Nahm

1. Featured Review

"I'm actually obsessed with the product and the people."

Current Employee - Sales in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Sales in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Lever full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Best people I have ever worked for and with, hands down. Super positive, encourAging, collaborative and FUN environment. Really feel like I'm part of a team and am recognized for my work.

Cons

High quotas + normal growing pains of a startup in terms of work/life balance. Thankfully I love who I work with...

Jul 18, 2016 – Director of Recruiting

We're so glad you're here! We appreciate all you do for the team and the company. We definitely hear you about "normal growing pains;" as the company grows and we continue to do well, we know those ... More

"Amazing company--best place I've ever worked"

I have been working at Lever full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- Great product with product/market fit
    - Very smart, empathetic, authentic, and passionate group of people
    - Highly thoughtful, user-centered, design-led culture
    - Care a lot about people, so very thoughtful about hiring and employee experience

Cons

- Growing pains of startup so still figuring out processes and how different teams work together
    - Need to scale up the product/eng team to keep up

Advice to Management

Don't be afraid to move faster and to be more critical of each other and other teams.

"Part fantastic, part not so much"

Pros

Beautiful, powerful product that I truly believe in. Largely wonderful colleagues who supported each other in working toward a common goal of making recruiting easier. Smart leadership.

Cons

Culture, and in conjunction, D&I, has been carefully cultivated and carved in stone, to a point where if you are not introverted, sensitive, and emotional among other qualities, you are on the outside. Sales numbers might be how they have been because certain people are afraid of the team being too "salesy" and emphasis on the aforementioned is all-encompassing, and sometimes crippling. Decision making was slow sometimes, to where it affected our position in the market. Work-life balance is toted as important, but that sentiment isn't reflected in some managers and thus can't trickle down to teams. Certain individuals with influence in the company are toxic, but go unnoticed right under the exec team's nose.

Advice to Management

let sales do their job. continue to listen to suggestions from all sides. be more aggressive, even if it is counter-culture.

5. "Enterprise Account Executive"

Current Employee - Enterprise Account Executive in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Enterprise Account Executive in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Lever full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

This is somewhere I want to work. I've felt like part of the team, even from before officially starting, with the Welcome Giphy - which Leveroo's (as we're affectionately known as) create for every single employee. From there, it's been a mix of team outings and nights out which immediately make you feel like you've been here all along.

Easy access to the Executive Leadership team really makes a HUGE difference. I never feel like I dont' know what's going on, and the team oozes authenticity. I felt this from the day I met Sarah, and I'll gladly follow her into unchartered waters - aka attacking the Enterprise market - because she is not only driven, but believes in open dialogue. My opinion is not only heard, but valued. Talk about creating a great culture.

Cons

Let's be honest. It's a startup. This means you're going to be required to be agile in your approach, and see change as a positive notion.
    This also means that you need to remember your compensation may not be as competitive in cash, but the additional

Advice to Management

The product is awesome, and is a game-changer in the marketplace. I hope that the culture of Lever and the core values of every Leveroo remain unchanged as you continue to grow.

Aug 24, 2016 – Director of Recruiting

Thanks for the review and the feedback! We're thrilled that you're a Leveroo and we love the welcome gif, too! It's great to hear that ease of access to the executive team is something that continues ... More

"Best career move I could have made!"

Current Employee - Recruiter in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Recruiter in San Francisco, CA

Pros

Everyday I get to work with smart, accomplished and experienced co- workers. Lever's foundation has been built on bringing in people who have a strong pedigree in a Saas environment. This is actually the toughest part of my job since the bar is so high for new talent. Outside of this, I enjoy our awesome new office space which is open and modern. We are treated so well by our people team: we receive catered lunches everyday, constant surprise cakes and cookies as well as fantastic team outings where it is not Lever exclusive but bring your friends and family.

In our founders, we have people who care about the employees around them. When Sarah Nahm stops and asks you how you are or what can she help with, she genuinely wants to to know.

Diversity & Inclusion is a hot topic in Silicon Valley at the moment. And for some companies, this is all that it is.. a topic. At Lever we take action by empowering employees to speak openly about issues that mean the most to them. We do this by providing an environment where it is okay to speak your mind and challenge the norm.

While my tenure at Lever has been short in time, it has been a time of vast growth and learning. My manager takes the time to train me so I can do the job to the best of my ability. I get a lot of ownership of my position which can be scary but luckily I have a supportive team who are always willing to help out.

Cons

Start up life is tough. This is not an easy ride. There are days when you feel everything is going against you. For me, I find myself being scrappy and testing my resilience more often than I have in any other position. This may not be Lever specific since all companies of 100 employees or less got through this feeling.

Aug 15, 2016 – Director of Recruiting

We're so glad you're a Leveroo, and thanks for the feedback! We know what you mean about start up life being tough, but it sounds like you've hit your stride! Keep up the good work, and we hope you ... More

"Fantastic company, going big places"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Lever full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I've been at Lever about a year and have enjoyed every moment of my time here. This past year (2015-2016) has seen a lot of growth, and yet the recruiting and executive teams have managed to keep that intimate, considerate, and passionate startup feel. This is a great place to grow as both a professional and an individual -- Lever is invested in its employees as much as we are invested in Lever. We are constantly surrounded by people who know the importance of personal growth, diversity and inclusion, and cross functional empathy. And on top of that, it's simply a fun place to work, day in and day out.

HR tech might seem unsexy on first impression, but everyone is in the business of hiring, so working in this space allows for such an incredibly far reaching impact. We have customers that are Silicon Valley tech giants of course, but we also work with everything from five person companies to five thousand; our users work at game studios and biotech labs, motorcycle dealers and government contractors, schools and non-profits. It's one of the most common challenges in business, and we have the privilege of helping our users find the talent that can carry out their vision. If that's not sexy, I don't know what is.

Cons

The startup life can be brutal for some, and it's easy to burn out at a place where everyone is willing to pour everything they've got into their work. Personally, I find the chaotic moments exciting, but I know they can make some people feel uneasy and unstable. You know what you're getting into joining a company like this, though.

Advice to Management

Getting real with your employees is absolutely the way to go. Transparency is key for engendering buy-in when goals are intimidating and ever growing; don't let things get cloudy as the company grows. We all believe in what we are doing here and would always rather brass tacks than hollow cheerleading.

Aug 15, 2016 – Director of Recruiting

Thank you for your review and feedback! We're thrilled to hear your experience has been overwhelmingly positive so far. Like you, we _also_ think working with incredible customers achieving ... More

8. "Strong mid-stage startup"

I have been working at Lever full-time

Pros

Great values, kind, hardworking people in a very inclusive and thoughtful environment. Founders are active, welcoming and passionate about the company.

Cons

Not exactly a con:
    Working standards here are incredibly high. You must meet the bar. Added into the general frenzy of startup life, this can be difficult for some.

Aug 15, 2016 – Director of Recruiting

Thanks for your feedback! While we do have a very high bar, we're glad you cleared it! We look forward to continuing to keep that bar high as we grow into the next phase of our company--we're glad ... More

"A Why-Centered Workplace"

I have been working at Lever full-time

Pros

Cross-functional empathy. Can't say this enough. Coming from stereotypical sales organizations, this team could not be more different. From the leadership to the mentality around how we work, I've felt more empowered and *encouraged* to take ownership over things, take risks, fail, and go back to the drawing board.The team is super sharp and is all motivated to build something great.

Sarah, our CEO, has an uncanny ability to articulate with incredible authenticity where we are as a company and where we're going. She's a leader I'd follow into the dark.

Also, Leveroos have an affinity for black and grey clothing, so I've welcomed the monochromatic neutrals as a no-nonsense work wardrobe (not required, of course!)

Cons

Startup life is what it is. I work more hours than I would at many other companies, but it's actually meaningful work, so I don't mind.

Advice to Management

Putting your employee's personal and professional development first makes employees feel valued. Don't let that change as you scale -- and I know that is already a priority.

Jan 25, 2016 – Director of Recruiting

Thanks for writing about your experience at Lever thus far! We're glad to hear that Lever attributes from cross-functional empathy to our color palette are well received. :D We hope you keep taking ... More

""It's a great day to be a Leveroo""

Current Employee - SDR
    Current Employee - SDR

Pros

Working at a Lever is a very unique experience, with this being my third different position/company out of school I knew what exactly I wanted for my sales career. I am pretty new to the company but Lever has already delivered and to say the future is bright here is an understatement

-Being part of one of the fastest growing and exciting startups in Silicon Valley
    -Sell a product that customers love and are passionate about, you are fixing headaches for the whole HR space
    -Be part of a team that wakes up everyday EXCITED and motivated to go to work
    -Lever is very selective in who they hire. You will work with some of the most intelligent and intellectual people you have ever crossed paths with in your entire life.
    -You are selling a product with an amazing philosophy behind it, the way we hire and Lever's company culture directly reflects Lever as an ATS.
    -Lever is the future in the ATS space, that is no secret. The most innovative and forward thinking companies are and will be our client base. Just check our existing customers.
    -Leadership is unmatched. Work for a CEO you can approach on every level and relate to.

Cons

Know exactly what you are looking for, a lot of these cons come with thriving start ups in general.
    From a sales standpoint
    -You will not be successful if you are not self driven
    -LOTS of autonomy, you must be self-motivated, nobody will hold your hand all the time but help is everywhere if you reach out to anyone
    -Be willing to work very very hard. This should be a non brainer but if you are not willing to truly go above and beyond you will not be successful here.

Advice to Management

As we approach hyper growth, keep the bar high !

Jan 27, 2016 – Director of Recruiting

Thanks for providing valuable feedback not only to us here at Lever, but valuable insights for others who are considering Lever as the next step in their career! We're glad to hear you feel you're ... More

"Completely Exceeding My Expectations"

I have been working at Lever full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- I have never been someone over the moon with her job. My role at Lever has completely turned me on my head--I love coming to work in the morning and help build an awesome company. I never have those "I don't wanna" days.
    - Leadership is incredibly transparent. My former companies have not been so, and it inspires so much confidence that I constantly know the health of the company, what leadership is thinking, and what our goals are.
    - Everyone is smart. Not used to that.
    - I work with people that care about the company and the product. Everyone works hard, and that makes me want to help my peers level up by working hard. -->I feel so motivated.
    - And then there are the perks: lunch, gym membership, cool office (wish we had dogs, but eh, that's cool)

Cons

- We're running out of space, but I guess that means we're growing.
    - Most of the company is new (Lever is only a few years old), so everyone is learning. Can make it hard to track down answers initially.

Advice to Management

Keep it up. There's something in the water, and I hope things continue to be as they have been.

Jan 27, 2016 – Director of Recruiting

Thanks for taking the time to write a review! We're pleased to hear you're enjoying your work and peers! As a growing startup, we know space can be tight; get ready to get to know your fellow ... More