Lever Reviews | Glassdoor

Lever Founder, CEO Sarah Nahm
Sarah Nahm

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • "Standard growing pains that come with becoming a mature company" (in 16 reviews)

• "All things expected in a fast growing company" (in 4 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Startup that's going places"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Lever full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I joined Lever when we were still a Series A company and the entire company could fit around a few lunch tables. I'm grateful for the way Lever has grown and changed, but stuck to its values. Now that we're north of 200 employees, I appreciate the way leadership continues to be transparent, places a lot of trust in employees, and encourages us to act like owners. That, and I really like my coworkers. People here work hard, believe in our mission, and are here to get things done.

Additionally:
    - Great office space
    - Free, good food
    - We celebrate in a variety of ways (introverts and extroverts alike can take part)
    - Town hall with leadership in all-hands meetings often
    - An actual compensation philosophy + performance / compensation reviews
    - Commuter perks
    - Leadership invests in management and provides resources to managers

Cons

Lever is not for everybody. People who don't do well with ambiguity, hard work, and being proactive with their work will generally struggle here.

We do have turnover like any company, which can be frustrating, but it comes with the territory of being a growing startup.

We do have some team members that get lost in the minutia and don't focus on serving the business. I've seen this at every company, so I don't think Lever is doing anything wrong, but more acknowledging there's a pocket of that mindset here.

Advice to Management

Continue to align with one another and communicate across your team. I've noticed sometimes the left hand isn't aware of what the right hand is doing. Neither hand is wrong, per se, but keeping each other informed helps ICs understand the impact of their work. Your jobs are hard; thanks for all you do. :)

2. "love it here as implementation"

Current Employee - Implementation Specialist
    Current Employee - Implementation Specialist

I have been working at Lever full-time

Pros

manger is competent and cares about team and team cares about eachother,
    fun and professional culture
    top YC company with great mission
    competitive pay

Cons

no cons yet, interviewed at some horrible companies before this

Advice to Management

keep it up, love it here

"Best product and place to work!"

Current Employee - Marketing Director in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Marketing Director in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Lever full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

--fast paced and positive attitude across the company
    --sales is engaged and it's a true partnership with marketing
    --inclusive to all workers
    --best HR team I've ever worked with
    --great female leadership & mentorship
    --solid diversity and recruiting techniques - we practice what we preach!
    --the product - I've never talked to so many customers that have seen tangible real results and express such love for a product...it's amazing!

Cons

None so far....still ironing out processes as we grow! It's an exciting time to be a part of this.

Advice to Management

keep it up! you all are best in class and the progress we've made has been incredible to watch and be a part of.

"Senior Account Executive"

Current Employee - Senior Account Executive in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Account Executive in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Lever full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

-Honestly they live the values entirely. Great employee experience - I feel very fortunate to be working here.

Cons

I really don't have much right now.

"Some good people but ultimately poor leadership leaves a lot to be desired"

I worked at Lever full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- Supportive of diversity and inclusion efforts but at times too liberal
    - Some fun cultural quirks and tradition
    - free foods

Cons

- Execs are inexperienced, arrogant and poor communicators
    - Decision making is not transparent with a surprising amount of politics (teams don't feel united with open bickering)
    - Product moves incredibly slow for a competitive market

Jan 11, 2019 – VP, People

Thanks for taking the time to share your experience! We do take pride in building an inclusive culture and stand by always putting our values, including D&I, front and center as we grow. I do have to... More

"Customer Success"

I have been working at Lever full-time

Pros

Everyone is so friendly and welcoming. People really care about the work you're doing and how they can help you be successful in your role.

The free food and unlimited PTO ain't bad either.

Cons

Not a place if you want to be comfortable, definitely some long nights but it's more fun when you're working with great people!

Oct 26, 2018 – VP, People

I'm so glad you're enjoying your time, making an impact and working with amazing people!

"Sales"

I have been working at Lever full-time

Pros

If you're willing to dive in and take on additional responsibility this is the place for you. You'll have a lot of autonomy to help the company build. Given our size and current growth plans, we need folks to jump in and take on projects to help us get to where our goals are. Wonderful people. We tend to hire a diverse crowd with lots of perspectives as well. Not the cookie cutter "bro" vibe at all. There's genuine care to do things the right way here.

Cons

We're small still and we sometimes think we're a big company. There are pains. Cross functional communication sometimes lacks. But we're moving fast. Comes with the territory.

Advice to Management

We've got clarity on how ICs get promoted. But there's no detail on how managers move up. Some are hired as seniors from outside. No detail and nothing in writing on how sales managers can continue to grow.

Oct 26, 2018 – VP, People

It's so refreshing to find a sales culture like Lever's. We'll continue to build and invest in a diverse workforce where great ideas can come from anywhere. Thanks for the feedback regarding manager... More

"1 year in, still going strong"

Current Employee - Senior Implementation Specialist in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Implementation Specialist in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Lever full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Management cares about employees, executive leadership provides vision and direction. Team is growing quickly and crushing its goals. Some of the smartest/nicest people I've ever worked with. The product is a market leader. Incredible opportunities to grow quickly in your role if you do a good job and become a leader on your team. Standard startup perks (free lunch, flexible work hours/wfh, snacks/drinks/work outings).

Cons

Scrappy; you don't always have the bandwidth on your team to handle the work that comes in with business closing at record rates. It can be a lot of work at times, despite management efforts to manage workloads; it's hard to hire and onboard new candidates to meet quick increases in workload.

Advice to Management

Keep managing workload, keep focusing on culture to make sure each new Leveroo keeps adding to our great work environment.

"Working together to win, every.damn.day."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Lever full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The thing that strikes me most about Lever, every day, is how much of a team atmosphere there is -- not only within departments but across them too. People just seem to want to help each other out. It seems basic, but it is a simple way to describe an amazing culture. It also feels like everyone is dedicated to the mission here. We have lofty goals but really plan to hit them.

Cons

This isn't the easiest market. There are lots of competitors and high expectations. If you're looking for the easy path, or for lots of predictability and minimal change, this probably wouldn't be the best place to find it.

Advice to Management

Keep investing in the product. It's amazing, and if the pace of adding to it can be maintained, it will continue to totally change the game in this space.

Oct 26, 2018 – VP, People

I couldn't agree more. When I first joined Lever I was awestruck at the level of cross-functional awareness and empathy and how teams were eager to come together, make changes and do what's right for... More

"Fantastic Growing Company."

Current Employee - SDR in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - SDR in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Lever full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great company culture. It has the feel of a startup but clearly growing towards big goals. Management cares a lot about their employees. BIG emphasis on diversity and Inclusion.

Cons

I love it. no complaints

Advice to Management

Keep creating an inclusive environment for your employees. we appreciate it.