Lever Reviews

Updated Apr 16, 2021

4.7
Lever Founder and CEO Nate Smith
Nate Smith
Pros
  • "Huge on collaboration and cross-functional empathy(in 13 reviews)

• "Genuine focus on diversity and inclusion - imperfect, but better than the vast majority of companies(in 12 reviews)

• Cons
  • "There's growing pains just like any company would have(in 26 reviews)

• "All things expected in a fast growing company(in 8 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.
    1. 5.0

Best job I've ever had

Apr 16, 2021 - Escalation Support Specialist
      Business Outlook

Pros

Incredibly kind, respectful, caring, generous and empowering colleagues. Very fair compensation!

Cons

Can get bogged down in planning stage sometimes.

2. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

Great people and lots of autonomy

Feb 28, 2021 - Customer Success
      Business Outlook

Pros

- Great team of people who care about each other - Good benefits for a startup - Lots of autonomy in day-to-day work - I value the transparency the company affords team members with insight into 2020 was tough for a lot of companies. Lever did have a reduction in force, but worked hard to meet goals and get back to a growth state. The company has a strong path forward and a great team to get us there.

Cons

- Workload can be heavy and hours can be long (but managers are receptive to honest discussions) - Some product issues have dominated the roadmap in recent months - In typical startup form, "autonomy" can also mean "ambiguity". Someone will excel at Lever if they are comfortable making suggestions and proactively improving processes.

3. 5.0
      Current Employee, less than 1 year

Awesome company culture & growth opportunities

Sep 30, 2020 - Implementation Consultant in San Francisco, CA
      Business Outlook

Pros

-Incredible sense of values both as a company and its individual employees. Promote respect, kindness, and inclusion especially around diversity, as well as hard work, growth, and achievement. -Driven employees that know how to get things done and collaborate extremely well (both within and across functional teams), while having fun in the process. -Focus on diversity both in building their internal team as well as promoting product features that help customers look more closely at diversity within their hiring practices. -Solid product well-positioned within the market. -Strong management and leadership team that promotes a healthy work environment while also encouraging and fostering opportunities for career growth. -Lots of opportunities to learn about late-stage startup operations.

Cons

-Not necessarily a con, but it's a startup environment - so not for folks that like to work with established processes and tools vs. building it yourself or having to deal with more uncertainty. Employees are encouraged to provide input and make decisions early on, and you need to be prepared to do that. -The product still has room for growth to meet the needs of some customer segments, but that's to be expected (and there should always be room for improvement). Product team is great at listening and helping collaborate to prioritize solutions. -I wish there was more in-person collaboration but that's a COVID problem not a company problem. :) They've done a great job pivoting with remote work and it shows with how well staff communicate over Slack and Zoom.

4. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 3 years

Most inclusive place I've ever worked

Oct 9, 2020 - Director of Marketing and Communications in San Francisco, CA
      Business Outlook

Pros

--Collaborative: teams work together to think through problems and work as a team. There is no he does this, she does that. Everyone jumps in to help and extend responsibilities outside of their areas when needed to get the job done. --Trust in Leadership: I sincerely trust our leadership team and the path that they are paving for the company. They are transparent and include all voices throughout the company in the overall strategy as we progress and continue to over-achieve on the goals we set. Every leader of the exec team is also so approachable and thoughtful. There are no politics whatsoever. --Results-driven: we work on an OKR (objective key results) system and review department goals quarterly to ensure all progress is measured and employees are continually rewarded when hitting targets and goals they set.

Cons

Prioritization when it comes to strategies and tactics that will move the bottom line in some areas and segments. We're getting there and scrappy, but hope to make as much progress as we can and double down on more resources in those areas in the coming year.

5. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

A place to make impact beyond the scope of your role.

Oct 6, 2020 - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

This company has such high quality people. I consistently walk away from meetings and conversations being stretched and impressed. People are comfortable challenging each other with a goal of getting to the best outcome of any project. If you want to improve your skills or expand your experience, leadership supports that. The company has committed to being as transparent as possible and you can see that in action with continued updates to all company communication. I love being a part of a company that gets to play a role in matching great people up with meaningful work. And doing it in a way that isn't afraid to talk about how to do it differently than traditional technology players in the space. Excited to be a part of where the organization goes in the years ahead.

Cons

It is a lean team which means workloads can be heavy. That said as long as you can manage and have candid conversations with your leaders when things become too much, it can lead to a ton of experience and exposure.

6. 5.0

Great Culture and Product

May 27, 2020 - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
      Business Outlook

Pros

I've worked with some of the most motivated and empathetic people in my career at Lever. It's no coincidence that most here will cite the people as the best part of working here. Individuality and diversity are not just tolerated but encouraged. We are truly a product-focused company and it shows. Within my team, I feel there are clear expectations as well as ample opportunities for collaboration and feedback. I've always felt that I can be honest here at all levels of the org and that my say matters. I've not only been able to grow in my role but also been able to have fun and make lifelong friends in the process. When I first joined, I definitely was not prepared for how friendly people were and this hasn't worn off. The sense of community with my fellow Leveroos is the best.

Cons

We've hit quite a few speed bumps as a company during my time here: leadership changes, re-prioritizations, and a recent RIF. I appreciate management's efforts to ensure that voices are heard and people feel supported. We're still figuring things out but transparency from the top down has recently increased and I feel we're on a path to being more aligned than ever. Ultimately, if you want to work at a comfortable/mature startup that's got a lot of structure and has everything figured out... this may not be your place! Things change quickly and being able to be flexible is key here. If you can handle that, this is a great place to learn, grow, and gain exposure.

Lever Response

CEO

Thank you for taking the time to share your review—I'm sure it is helpful to many others! I'm happy to hear that the quality of our team, cultural values, clarity of expectations, and opportunities for growth top your list of reasons to work at Lever. We have a great team of managers and leaders to thank for helping to create that kind of environment. Thank you for your contributions to Lever's culture and customer experience. Each of us contribute to the positive environment and quality of our product. Best, Nate

7. 5.0
      Former Employee, less than 1 year

GREAT PEOPLE

Feb 1, 2021 - Sales Representative in San Francisco, CA
      Business Outlook

Pros

Always helpful and encouraging team... felt like a family

Cons

They had to downsize so different teams now

8. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

Through the ups & downs transparency has always remained true

Oct 26, 2020 - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA
      Business Outlook

Pros

The company really cares about the people that work here. Not only from a career advancement standpoint but also from a well being aspect as well. Lever wants you to succeed in all areas of your life.

Cons

There are still some growing pains and with the recent downsize since the pandemic started, teams have been more busy than usual. The good thing is that management is aware of this, and are actively trying to improve the headcount.

9. 5.0
      Current Employee, less than 1 year

Top notch team and product

Oct 15, 2020 - Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

* A team of talented, driven, and also kind and caring humans * Best product on the market, hands down * Strong leadership team genuinely committed to people's growth * Genuine focus on diversity and inclusion - imperfect, but better than the vast majority of companies * True transparency * Big enough to not have to do everything yourself without any support, small enough to still have a real voice and meaningful impact and easy access to leadership! * Business in a healthy shape - got to cash flow positive over the summer which means we can sustain ourselves

Cons

The team is lean, so hours can be on the long side. The leanness, though, also means everyone gets to influence many areas of the team and business.

10. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

High quality company, with a great future

Sep 30, 2020 - Senior Vice President Product and Engineering in San Francisco, CA
      Business Outlook

Pros

You get to work with an amazing team, that is genuinely committed to diversity and collaboration. People at Lever are passionate, committed and super smart. The culture is fun, inclusive and outcome-oriented. The product is high quality and loved by customers, and the company's implementation and support teams are world-class. Lever is making a difference in the world, helping customers hire the people they need to succeed, and it feels great when what we do helps our customers. Lever continues to have real success and growth, with a clear path to outsized future success, even during the pandemic. The recruiting market remains strong, and Lever' product and services are in the right place to take advantage.

Cons

The team is on average a little less experienced than it needs to be as the company grows.

Viewing 1 - 10 of 167 Reviews