Lever Reviews | Glassdoor

Lever Founder, CEO Sarah Nahm
Sarah Nahm

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • "Typical startup growing pains are present here, but not overwhelming" (in 8 reviews)

• "It's a tough time right now for Lever (which happens with any growing company, especially at this size)" (in 6 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Smart and thoughtful co-workers, deliberate and inclusive culture, strong GIF game"

I have been working at Lever full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I joined Lever in 2015 as their first-ever intern, and when I graduated this year, I returned to join the company full-time. In the two years since I interned Lever, Lever has progressed in many ways from growing from 40 to over 100 employees to building a variety of new features.

Why did I come back? Here are a few reasons (in no particular order):

- The people are kind and thoughtful. Beyond that, there’s something special about people here that I can’t quite put my finger around, but in short, they're awesome.

- Cross team collaboration and empathy is a big one. During my internship, I had the opportunity to work with and learn from Leveroos outside of the engineering team, which helped me better understand how Lever operates. Also, cross functional empathy (XFE) is especially evident on in the way we recognize each other, celebrating small (and large) wins, and share knowledge.

- There’s an incredible amount of transparency across teams and also between the executive team and the rest of the company.

- Lever’s willing to invest in people development. They’re not just looking for skills, they’re also looking for potential.

- HR is an interesting and often overlooked space, and I like what Lever's building.

Other Pros of Lever:
    - Catered lunches and plenty of snacks
    - Action-oriented company values
    - People regularly raising the bar
    - Strong GIF game (To get a sneak peek, check out the February 2016 Lever blogpost)
    - Openness to feedback

Cons

Honestly, most of the downsides of working at Lever revolve around us being a startup and growing rapidly. Some of the downsides include:

- We have a good amount of tribal knowledge, and that doesn’t scale well (and we do some documentation, but we don’t have a centralized source of truth (that I know of/yet)).

- Lever’s growing quickly, and it’s getting harder to get to know everyone in the office.

- We’re still a relatively small team working on an interesting and complex problem, so it’s not unusual for people to come in early, stay late, and continue conversations on Slack outside of the typical work hours.

- To my knowledge, we haven’t reached a consensus on whether gif is pronounced with a soft ‘g’ (like jif peanut butter) or a hard ‘g’ (like gift) - I know there are articles out there, but still.

Advice to Management

- Lever has unique qualities and traditions that may be difficult to preserve as the company grows. It may not be feasible to keep them exactly as-is, but we should find the nuggets of each and be sure to keep those with us as we scale.

- The fact that Lever was built by first-time founders and has achieved so much in the past few years truly illustrates how incredible our exec team is (not advice, but a general comment).

- Lever’s in a tricky (yet powerful) position where people are looking to us when it comes to recruiting and its future. We should “leverage” that and not only raise the bar when it comes to industry standards, but we should set the bar and be the bar that others can reference and strive towards.

Nov 17, 2017 – VP, People

Thank you for the fantastic review! I agree with all of your points and am so excited for what Lever is doing for the industry. Being a former recruiter, I’m excited for the challenge of raising the... More

"Love going to work! A company that truly invests in your growth"

I have been working at Lever full-time

Pros

We have a sweet new office! Lever definitely takes employee satisfaction/employee matters very seriously. They take care of us and want to make sure we are comfortable and feeling our best so we can do our best work. I also feel like Lever is the first company that has truly supported my growth and provided guidance to help me figure out where I want to take my career. I also am pushed out of my comfort zone and given the opportunities to work on things that are new to me and things that specifically excite me.

Cons

I can't think of any real concerns. But as always, Lever is a growing startup and there will always be growing pains. We are really at the point in our company journey where we are no longer a small company and are putting processes in place to help us scale. This can always be challenging but not necessarily a con.

Advice to Management

Continue to invest in your leaders! Lever already does this and I hope they continue to. Giving managers training on how to best support their employees is one of the best ways to give back to your employee and in return amplify your workfoce

3. "Amazing, Inclusive Environment"

I have been working at Lever full-time

Pros

I've never been part of such an inclusive, welcoming environment. Ever since day 1, I've felt like I belonged at Lever. Through Ramp Camp (welcoming) sessions, training and overall attitude of current employees, I felt welcomed at Lever (and still do months and months later). All of the leadership here I've interacted with have made me feel welcome and deserving.

Cons

Couldn't think of any even if I tried.

"Honest feedback -- Lever has potential, I hope they make the changes needed to thrive"

Former Employee - Sales in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Sales in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Lever full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Lever has a lot of potential

- Wonderful peers across the org

- Free lunch daily

- Growing company

- Lots of career growth on the Customer Success side. Sadly not so much on the sales/ sales dev side.

- Benefits and perks are just as good as a more established tech company :)

Cons

- Lack of inspiring exec leadership - specifically in the sales org - This for me was the biggest issue.

- Expected to sell a product that isn't built for certain industries/ enterprise

- Competitors have quite a few more features/ partnerships/ etc

- Lack of engineering resources - its difficult for the product to scale and grow, while also maintaining. Ex: Lever chooses to build a new feature - resources focus on that, but who is focused on quickly fixing bugs?

- Over the past 2 years, there has been quite a bit of turnover. Many tenured reps/ engineers/ executives/ founders/ managers have left.

- First time CEO has it's challenges.

- At this point, there is far too much micro-management (ex: come in at X time. Do X amount of calls. can't leave until X time. (sales org)

- Under valued. Minimal recognition

- Hiring externally versus internal promotions (if you are interested in move cross-functionally) Lever is not the company for you.

Advice to Management

Listen to the employees. Many feel uncomfortable around certain leaders in the company. There were red flags from the beginning.

Value your employees - Sales historically has been the step-child of Lever. Please stop burning these kids / young adults out.

May 3, 2018 – VP, People

Thank you for your honest feedback! As you described, being a high growth startup there is plenty of change along the way. The past year alone has seen a lot of growth across the business, including... More

"Account Executive"

Current Employee - Account Executive
    Current Employee - Account Executive

I have been working at Lever full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- Amazingly talented, smart, and committed group of people
    - Top notch product solving real pain
    - Huge market opportunity
    - Growth potential (both company and personal)
    - Culture - Commitment to its employees, diversity, inclusion, and community

Cons

- Change is the constant, so adaptability is key

Advice to Management

- Keep doing what you're doing - the mission, transparency, 2 way communication - all of these contribute immensely to the great company and culture you've built. Stay focused on the end game.

"Product works but leadership and company culture will kill anything that’s good in you"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Lever full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The product is likeable. People who use it are supporters.

Cons

Leadership. Management. Culture. Personalities.
    Lever’s recruitment team draws you in, with all the positives. But the culture is toxic.
    The good people are snuffed out, or change themselves to keep their jobs, becoming like everyone else. Micromanagement is standard practice. Trust is not given neither can it be earned. Especially if you’re in sales. Sales team is considered second class citizens from executive team.
    Favourties are paid high salaries but add no revenue and little value to the bottom line, but are considered heroes.
    There are a lot of snakes in the grass. Backstabbing is common across team members. Public slaying happens and perpetrators are not disciplined. This is not a place to be built up as a team member.

Advice to Management

People who come from outside the business have their job titles because they have earnt them. Trust they can do their job. Especially those who bring in revenue. They are your biggest asset. Discipline lazy staff.

Jun 5, 2018 – VP, People

Thank you for your review. I have to admit, it is really surprising! This certainly doesn’t sound like the Lever I know. Everything from the “public slayings”, sales being second-class citizens to... More

"Great company!"

I have been working at Lever full-time

Pros

unlimited PTO
    Free lunch provided everyday
    Great people

Cons

start up life can be a pain

"Account Executive"

Current Employee - Account Executive in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Account Executive in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Lever full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Selling a best in class product.
    - Enterprise sale cycle with heavy support from our BDR/ SDR function. Good lead flow.
    - Depending on segment, it can be a quick turn around in the sales cycle.
    - Fantastic co workers and culture. Zero micro management.

Cons

- Fast growing start up where there is always a little ambiguity.
    - No dogs allowed in the office.
    - Not a job for the type of person looking for a regular 9 to 5 job.

"Lever Has the 5 Most Important Things"

Current Employee - Sales in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Sales in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Lever full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

There are 5 core pillars that are important to me in my work. Lever is strong across all 5 of them:

1. Product - Customers LOVE the product. I mean, they ravenously love the product like I have never before seen in B2B SaaS.

3. Culture / Diversity - Lever has best culture of anywhere I've ever worked. The 'right' culture is different for all people so I'll explain. Lever has insanely smart people, but that's not a differentiator in today's world. The Lever culture is around EQ / Humility / Self-Awareness. There is a level of EQ across the entire org and at every level that I have never seen any company come close to having. The diversity is also something really important to me. Besides having a female CEO, we have a female CFO, female CMO, and literally multiple female leaders across every function.

2. Market Size / Addressing a Real Problem - Almost every company needs to hire and recruit in this modern talent environment. And, hiring has become a strategic imperative. Lever solves a real problem that companies have.

4. Making a Difference / Feeling Like You are a Part of Something - This is mostly addressed above, but Lever's management has done a good job of tying each team's work and each individual's work directly into the impact and goals of the entire company. It feels to me like my impact makes a difference and we are all working for something more than just making money.

5. Management / Functional Stuff - The management team here is the right team. The 'functional stuff' is a bit more nuanced, but some companies have the most amazing people and are so dysfunctional. Lever has the right people and is highly functional. People listen to each other, respect each other, share information, make decisions and execute and it's just really functional, which actually is more the exception than the norm and something i really value.

Cons

There aren't a lot. But, nothing is perfect. We are still very 'San Francisco' based. 99% of our company is based in the SF office. We serve customers globally. We need to be physically more global.

10. "Just starter - love it already"

I have been working at Lever full-time

Pros

-Culture is hands-down some of the best I've seen.
    -Surrounded by hard-working people
    -awesome perks
    -bright future outlook for the company

Cons

-none so far that I can think of