Liquid Robotics Reviews | Glassdoor

Gary Gysin

Sort: PopularRatingDate

"Senior Field Engineer"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sunnyvale, CA

I have been working at Liquid Robotics full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Revolutionary product, employees that are driven and knowledgeable

Cons

I have yet to experience any downside to my job

Sep 6, 2017 – VP Marketing

Thank you for the comments. We are glad your first year has been positive!

"At a Crossroads"

I have been working at Liquid Robotics full-time

Pros

Cool technology. Unique opportunities. Still room for an employee to make an immediate impact. Welcoming and accommodating workplace.

Cons

Still trying to find footing post acquisition. Leadership and culture changes will make or break it.

Advice to Management

Make direction and priorities clear and accessible. Provide management/leadership training to those promoted from within.

Jun 4, 2018 – Director, Human Resources

Thank you for sharing your views. The Wave Glider is a cool technology. Newer employees have reported that they, too, have experienced the welcoming workplace and how they can have an immediate... More

"Used to be good..."

Current Employee - Engineer
    Current Employee - Engineer

I have been working at Liquid Robotics full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Some great people are still here.
    It's not over yet.

Cons

Used to be good before being acquired by Boeing. Now a defense contractor.
    Used to have a super smart Architect. He left.
    Used to have a really good Engineering head. He left.
    Used to have a top CTO. He kinda checked out.
    Used to have company equity. That's gone.

Advice to Management

Focus on one or two things. Try to resist assimilation.

Jun 4, 2018 – Director, Human Resources

Even though your review is not positive, we are open to hearing the feedback and want to provide a response. Acquisitions do create change. We feel that we have managed through this change... More

4. "Amazing Culture & Meaningful Work"

I have been working at Liquid Robotics full-time

Pros

Liquid Robotics is a team player environment. Roles are fluid, and everyone does what needs to be done even if it's not listed in their job description. Employees are empowered and given more responsibility than you would find at a large company. There's a feeling that what we do as a company matters, and each and every employee plays a role in our success.

Cons

The company is still navigating how to fit into the Boeing bureaucracy while maintaining its innovative spirit.

Advice to Management

Show employees the career path you see for them beyond adding words like "Senior" to their job title

Aug 17, 2017 – VP Marketing

Thank you for sharing your impression of our Company and culture. At most small companies people tend to wear many “hats”. This is certainly true at Liquid Robotics, but part of what makes our... More

5. "very cool tecnology, fascinating, hi impact applications"

I worked at Liquid Robotics part-time

Pros

Great people, Ultra cool technology and a product that is making a difference in improving the environment and increasing national security.

Cons

Early stage market for robotics but unlimited upside as market matures

Aug 17, 2017 – VP Marketing

Wow—thanks for the great feedback! The Wave Glider is “ultra-cool” and we are excited to be leading the way in developing the market for surface ocean robots. It can be challenging at times, but we... More

6. "Great company to work for"

Pros

It's a good company to work for

Cons

No Cons, just miss all people there

Aug 17, 2017 – VP Marketing

Thank you for your review. We are glad you enjoyed your time at Liquid Robotics. Stay in touch!

"Peaked in 2015"

I worked at Liquid Robotics full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Engineering, manufacturing and operations teams have some of the most dedicated people I've seen. Always available to help or answer questions in a timely manner.

Cons

No collaboration with marketing or sales. It's the engineers job to design what the sales people said the vehicle could do before actually doing it. Marketing continuously writes puff articles with no cross checking for improvements with subject matter experts.

In light of the recent oil and gas recession, the company was lucky Boeing bought it. Boeing definitely got the better end of the deal.

Advice to Management

A top heavy company with too many execs and directors has made a poor work environment. Management cannot take open criticism or suggestions for improvements. Atmosphere is a "do as I say, not as I do". Leadership is untrustworthy.

Aug 17, 2017 – VP Marketing

Thank you for submitting feedback on Liquid Robotics. All inputs are reviewed and discussed with key personnel in the Company.

Criticism is never easy to receive, but the management team wants to... More

8. "Feeling good"

I have been working at Liquid Robotics full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Nice people, Nice environment, and great product

Cons

Do not have any

Aug 17, 2017 – VP Marketing

Thank you for the feedback—we are pleased to hear you are “feeling good”. It’s nice to come to work each day when you are surrounded by great colleagues and an amazing product.

"Compelling Technology - Great Work Environment"

I have been working at Liquid Robotics full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

A unique and fascinating product that challenges all engineering disciplines as its capabilities are continuously expanded. Many exceptional co-workers in all departments - it's surprising how many very talented people with valuable experience have been attracted to this small firm.

Cons

Slow sales growth in the past has kept the company from expanding, but recent events suggest we are about to enter a significant growth phase.

Advice to Management

Stay the course and continue to refine product development focus to minimize efforts expended on products that do not have significant growth potential.

Aug 17, 2017 – VP Marketing

Thank you for your wonderful feedback! We do have exceptional co-workers across the Company. We have stated this before and it remains true today: our team combines the best in marine science... More

10. "Cool technology, great applications, brilliant co-workers"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sunnyvale, CA

I have been working at Liquid Robotics full-time (More than a year)

Pros

We're building really cool, unique technology that is being deployed all over the world. Business is good and increasing rapidly.

On the engineering side, most of the senior management and staff have been in the industry for a long time and are really good at what they do. Schedules are mostly reasonable and tasks are usually achievable. This isn't a silicon valley sweatshop full of new grads working stupid hours until they burn out.

Cons

There's a -lot- to learn when you get in the door, and a lot of enthusiastic customers who need you to learn faster.

There's less communication between Sales, Engineering, Manufacturing and Support than there ought to be, probably because the company is just getting large enough that old informal methods aren't sufficient anymore. Quarterly all-hands meetings communicate business information, but the technical interchange that ought to happen at lower levels frequently doesn't. We're working on it.

Advice to Management

Make retention plans (promotions, bonuses, stock grants, raises) clearer. They seem alternately random and nonexistent.