Livingston International Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

2.5
Daniel McHugh

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • It is a fast paced working environment (in 8 reviews)

• you learn a lot that will also help you with future jobs (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management (buffalo) has no idea how to manage people or the business (in 13 reviews)

• It is low pay for the responsibilites of the position (in 7 reviews)

"Sales"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cleveland, OH
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cleveland, OH

I have been working at Livingston International full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great leadership, great pay and knowing your working for the best with the brightest future isn’t bad either

Cons

deadweight doesn’t last long. Not much of a con but based on other reviews those people were not pulling their weight and got fired. Good employees are treated very well

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work!

"Micromanagement at its finest"

I worked at Livingston International full-time

Pros

Business casual dress all the time

Cons

Management doesn't understand what happens on the floor. Someone needs to come out and sit with staff for a day, across all shifts

"Export Department"

I worked at Livingston International full-time

Pros

You get a paycheck. It's small, but it is money coming in.
    The employees support each other (otherwise they wouldnt make it through the day)

Cons

If you value yourself, and have any self esteem or pride in your work, management sees it as a threat. The micromanagement is stifling, and inhibits progress. It is low pay for the responsibilites of the position. The employee morale is, well, there isn't any. Pinching pennies is a perfected art form here, with cleaners rolling in maybe twice a year to clean the offices. There is black dirt and grime all over the HVAC vents, which is probably not healthy. Unless you have absolutely no other options, don't work here in Export. Other departments are a littl better.

Advice to Management

Believe in your people enough to delegate. Stop being so cheap. Ease up on day to day "hovering". With turnover off the charts, can you not see that employees are miserable and resentful?

"Livingston is the place where good souls go to die"

I worked at Livingston International full-time

Pros

Training for a new person to the industry is appropriate

Cons

- Cannot advance unless the hiring manager likes you; otherwise, you will be in the same position forever.
    - Upper management is disconnected with the issues going on in the "ground floor"
    - They constantly lie to their clients

"Trying to remain optimistic"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Southfield, MI
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Southfield, MI

I have been working at Livingston International full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The culture here is really trying their best to maintain a happy and upbeat environment. However, that usually rests on the backs of the office mgt staff and the employee committees. There are a lot of managers who try their best to keep staff motivated and focused. Time is usually flexible and mgt will work with you if you have to leave for apts or other personal issues. There is a lot of training offered to employees if they are willing to open up the portal and sign up for them.

Cons

Upper management (meaning Director and above) are so concerned with generating new business that they tend to over promise services to a customer then hammer the assigned team when targets aren't met. The team is expected to make the client happy at all costs while the upper mgt just moves to the next deal. Further, I have lost respect for upper mgt as a whole due to their "head in the clouds" mentality. We have a group of investors that have ZERO interest in the people doing the work. I had the unfortunate opportunity to meet the board and they were so underwhelming and gave off the attitude that they were just at the event out of obligation. No interaction, no mingling, no give a crap. They just scooted into a corner and talked to each other. Very bad impression and I have had a sour taste in my mouth ever since. It would have been better to NOT have that meet and greet. Further, I question who is really running this place and making the decisions. I can not point to ANY one of the multitude of upper mgt and board members who I find inspirational or motivating. They are all just a bunch of talking heads to me.

Advice to Management

You demand excellence from your employees....well we demand excellence from our upper management. Get involved. Get serious. Get in the trenches with us and realize this is all one big team. Stop cutting bonuses and giving crap raises because you say the company is underperforming. Be real.... you all feel the need to stay in the penthouse of 5 star hotels and eat oysters and steak for dinner every night. How many drinks are you having on the company? Maybe you need to show good faith, cut your "travel budgets", and invest the savings into YOUR PEOPLE! The sales team doesn't need trips to exotic islands...they need qualified, interested, and engaged leadership who communicates well.

"Mayday!"

I have been working at Livingston International full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The people you work day in and out with are what make it all worth while. Some Managers do care and try and make it better.

Cons

Turn over is very high. Livingston continues to be a
    training ground, with low pay. Loyalty is a thing of the past. Livingston is unappreciative of all the people that have given everything to this Company. They have put us through the ringer with constant changes; continual project teams and never ending conference calls. There is so much work to do, so let us do it! Knock off bogging people down. New VP comes across as an arrogant bully. Anybody who has managed to stick around for more than 5 years has seen this all before. We were told that method didn’t work and watched them oust people and become the kinder, gentler Livingston. Now we’ve come full circle and are back to where we were. Shame on you Livingston. The people are beat down and know they are all just a number. Business “pool” model does not work.

Advice to Management

Senior Management please get a clue. Treat your people with the respect they deserve. You have instilled negativity and uncertainty across the board. That is not effective or conducive to helping the work force to perform their jobs.

"Lognistics"

Former Employee - RECONCILIATION SPECIALIST in Taylor, MI
    Former Employee - RECONCILIATION SPECIALIST in Taylor, MI

I worked at Livingston International full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Most of the employees are Team Players. Always willing to help out when needed.
    When changing or improving work within computer system given directions on what was needed to do.

Cons

Not given advance notices about layoffs and changes within the company that moved people out of work.

8. "Customs Release Analyst"

I worked at Livingston International full-time

Pros

Laid back as long as your doing your job

Cons

Job is okay but the employees suck! Too much "high school drama". Everyone talks about everyone.

"Manager"

I worked at Livingston International full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

None. This place is terrible.

Cons

This is the worst company I have every worked for. They expect all managers to put in 70 to 100 hours a week. Work volumes are unrealistic

Advice to Management

Hire people with experience.

"Where your soul goes to die"

Current Employee - Manager
    Current Employee - Manager

I have been working at Livingston International full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Flexible work schedule
    Snack on Friday
    Lots of vacation time once you sell your soul 10+ years
    Co-workers
    Coffee Machines

Cons

Understaffed no matter what your productivity tool says unrealistic expectations for manager and operations staff, false promise of bonus and raise (1% for the people doing the real work). Upper management (buffalo) has no idea how to manage people or the business. Sales people under sell the contracts and operations pay the price. If you want to feel valued as employee stay far away from Livingston.

Advice to Management

Respect the entry process and operations. Charge a competitive rate so you can stop hiring people from Mcdonalds to conduct US Customs Business. And most importantly stop lying to your customers that you can provide a service you simply cannot in your current business model.