Livingston International Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

2.5
Daniel McHugh

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • It is a fast paced working environment (in 8 reviews)

• People are great, nice work atmosphere, decent pay, good benefits (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management (buffalo) has no idea how to manage people or the business (in 11 reviews)

• Low pay compared to the customs industry (in 5 reviews)

1. "Sales"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cleveland, OH
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cleveland, OH

I have been working at Livingston International full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great leadership, great pay and knowing your working for the best with the brightest future isn’t bad either

Cons

deadweight doesn’t last long. Not much of a con but based on other reviews those people were not pulling their weight and got fired. Good employees are treated very well

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work!

"Trying to remain optimistic"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Southfield, MI
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Southfield, MI

I have been working at Livingston International full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The culture here is really trying their best to maintain a happy and upbeat environment. However, that usually rests on the backs of the office mgt staff and the employee committees. There are a lot of managers who try their best to keep staff motivated and focused. Time is usually flexible and mgt will work with you if you have to leave for apts or other personal issues. There is a lot of training offered to employees if they are willing to open up the portal and sign up for them.

Cons

Upper management (meaning Director and above) are so concerned with generating new business that they tend to over promise services to a customer then hammer the assigned team when targets aren't met. The team is expected to make the client happy at all costs while the upper mgt just moves to the next deal. Further, I have lost respect for upper mgt as a whole due to their "head in the clouds" mentality. We have a group of investors that have ZERO interest in the people doing the work. I had the unfortunate opportunity to meet the board and they were so underwhelming and gave off the attitude that they were just at the event out of obligation. No interaction, no mingling, no give a crap. They just scooted into a corner and talked to each other. Very bad impression and I have had a sour taste in my mouth ever since. It would have been better to NOT have that meet and greet. Further, I question who is really running this place and making the decisions. I can not point to ANY one of the multitude of upper mgt and board members who I find inspirational or motivating. They are all just a bunch of talking heads to me.

Advice to Management

You demand excellence from your employees....well we demand excellence from our upper management. Get involved. Get serious. Get in the trenches with us and realize this is all one big team. Stop cutting bonuses and giving crap raises because you say the company is underperforming. Be real.... you all feel the need to stay in the penthouse of 5 star hotels and eat oysters and steak for dinner every night. How many drinks are you having on the company? Maybe you need to show good faith, cut your "travel budgets", and invest the savings into YOUR PEOPLE! The sales team doesn't need trips to exotic islands...they need qualified, interested, and engaged leadership who communicates well.

"Mayday!"

I have been working at Livingston International full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The people you work day in and out with are what make it all worth while. Some Managers do care and try and make it better.

Cons

Turn over is very high. Livingston continues to be a
    training ground, with low pay. Loyalty is a thing of the past. Livingston is unappreciative of all the people that have given everything to this Company. They have put us through the ringer with constant changes; continual project teams and never ending conference calls. There is so much work to do, so let us do it! Knock off bogging people down. New VP comes across as an arrogant bully. Anybody who has managed to stick around for more than 5 years has seen this all before. We were told that method didn’t work and watched them oust people and become the kinder, gentler Livingston. Now we’ve come full circle and are back to where we were. Shame on you Livingston. The people are beat down and know they are all just a number. Business “pool” model does not work.

Advice to Management

Senior Management please get a clue. Treat your people with the respect they deserve. You have instilled negativity and uncertainty across the board. That is not effective or conducive to helping the work force to perform their jobs.

4. "Lognistics"

Former Employee - RECONCILIATION SPECIALIST in Taylor, MI
    Former Employee - RECONCILIATION SPECIALIST in Taylor, MI

I worked at Livingston International full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Most of the employees are Team Players. Always willing to help out when needed.
    When changing or improving work within computer system given directions on what was needed to do.

Cons

Not given advance notices about layoffs and changes within the company that moved people out of work.

5. "Customs Release Analyst"

I worked at Livingston International full-time

Pros

Laid back as long as your doing your job

Cons

Job is okay but the employees suck! Too much "high school drama". Everyone talks about everyone.

"Manager"

I worked at Livingston International full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

None. This place is terrible.

Cons

This is the worst company I have every worked for. They expect all managers to put in 70 to 100 hours a week. Work volumes are unrealistic

Advice to Management

Hire people with experience.

"Where your soul goes to die"

Current Employee - Manager
    Current Employee - Manager

I have been working at Livingston International full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Flexible work schedule
    Snack on Friday
    Lots of vacation time once you sell your soul 10+ years
    Co-workers
    Coffee Machines

Cons

Understaffed no matter what your productivity tool says unrealistic expectations for manager and operations staff, false promise of bonus and raise (1% for the people doing the real work). Upper management (buffalo) has no idea how to manage people or the business. Sales people under sell the contracts and operations pay the price. If you want to feel valued as employee stay far away from Livingston.

Advice to Management

Respect the entry process and operations. Charge a competitive rate so you can stop hiring people from Mcdonalds to conduct US Customs Business. And most importantly stop lying to your customers that you can provide a service you simply cannot in your current business model.

"Works easy pay sucks"

I have been working at Livingston International full-time

Pros

Nice people and a relaxed environment

Cons

The pay sucks compared to other jobs like it! You're doing more work than what the pay should require you to! Because of the pay people don't stick around very long

Advice to Management

Pay your employees more! The more valued they feel the more loyalty and longevity you'll receive

"Too much incompetence and unprofessionalism!"

I worked at Livingston International full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Co-workers were great to work with. There is a great deal of talent in the sales team, the administrative support team, and most of the HR team.

Cons

Management and upper level management leaves a lot to be desired. They hire people who have the experience and expertise to do a job and then they don't allow those people to take charge to do their jobs. Upper level management is completely unorganized and at times very unprofessional. TONS of turn-over throughout the organization, and frankly, no-one is willing to DO anything about that. (better vetting and interviewing skills by the upper level management to ensure the candidate is truly a fit, better on-boarding and training and accountability of new hires in order to keep them, better lines of communication, treating everyone with respect and encouraging people (providing the right tools) to be successful and develop professionally) so they actually want to stay and build a career there. Offering annual bonuses and then finding illegitimate reasons for not paying it (company-wide).

Advice to Management

Treat the people below you in title and experience, as you wish to be treated. When you hire someone who has the skills you don't have, to do a specific job, let them have a voice in how it's done and what might work better. I didn't come in and try to do my boss's job because that is not where my expertise lies. I was there to do what I was hired to do and had been doing for 20 years. (quite well, I might add). When you lay out a 3-6-9 month plan, and have someone start working on it and making progress, and then you constantly change the TO DO list and its deadlines, with little to no time to start over and meet those new deadlines, you may not get the results you were looking for. And the blame for that should not go to the person who is tasked to do that work. I understand change happens and we need to be flexible and move forward with changes here and there. But in certain areas, especially where revenue is at risk, the upper level management needs to set a WELL THOUGHT OUT PLAN and then stick with it the best they can. Listen more to the experts that you hire in an area and be open to do things a little differently. If you aren't going to let someone do what they know how to do, and that you hired them to do, then hire a completely inexperienced person, pay them pennies and train them to do it your way. And good luck with that!

10. "Import Aanalyst"

I have been working at Livingston International full-time

Pros

Very wonderful place to work.

Cons

No room for growth especially in the Dallas/Fort Worth Area and very little bonus and pay compared to companies in the same industry.