MOGL Reviews | Glassdoor

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "3 Years With Mogl"

Current Employee - Sales in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Sales in San Diego, CA

I have been working at MOGL full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I have worked at Mogl for over 3 years, the culture here is the best I have ever experienced. It offers a very open environment between C level executives and entry level employees. The direction that the executives are taking this company is very clear, and everyone top to bottom is obviously excited to be a part of our journey.

Nearly every person in this company is very career driven and willing to do whatever it takes to move up and grow with the company, you rarely see so many dedicated individuals in one place. Everyones drive means you have to go way above and beyond to acheive the internal promotions offered here, because you're competing against some superstars.

Every month we hit goal in sales we go out on a company event, my favorites have been, paint balling, go carting, and last month we rented jet ski's in the bay.

Additionally, we're moving to a new super start-upy office with 2 kegerators!! and it's like double the size of our current one which is great for expansion.

There are probably 3, maybe 4 start-ups in the San Diego area that this far along and so likely to become something massive. I feel very lucky to have received the opportunity to be a part of this one.

Cons

As far as cons go there's nothing outside of your standard start-up challenges which could also be viewed as pro's, you're payed a little less but offered stock, changes happen regularly that may or may not affect you, some of the cultural traditions can be cheesy, goals can be massive, tough work life balance, and there's fairly high pressure on your performance.

Again, these are standard Start-Up challenges, that double as pros, and the payoff of embracing these things can be life changing. I wouldn't have it any other way.

Advice to Management

Put basketball hoops in the new office and keep doing what you're doing it's obviously working.

2. "Sales Rep"

Former Employee - Sales Representative in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Sales Representative in San Diego, CA

I worked at MOGL full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Start up atmosphere. Hard working employees who believe in the product. Fun games and team building activities.

Cons

Sales targets are always changing. Not very innovative in adapting the sales process with new methods. Insufficient training. High turnover. Lack of advancement from entry level. Mid level management plays favorites and could be better.

Advice to Management

Upper management needs to do a full review of the sales department and take a more hands on approach. Be clear about goals and be willing to adjust strategy to hit sales targets. Hire better mid level manages that are more organized and professional.

3. "Honest Opinion"

Current Employee - Account Manager in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Account Manager in San Diego, CA

I have been working at MOGL full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Hard work will be rewarded

Cons

You are building the plane as you fly

Advice to Management

Listen to Peakon

"Amazing company"

I have been working at MOGL full-time

Pros

Great people and fun culture. There is a game room, nap room and stocked kitchen...that is ridiculous. On top of that we do fun activities outside of work together like paintball, go-kart and charity events (followed by drinks). Best part to me is the opportunity for a big payout with the stock that I have in the company.

Cons

Can be a distracting environment at times.

Advice to Management

The culture is what makes this such a special company so make sure to keep that going!

"Freedom"

Former Employee - MoPro in Costa Mesa, CA
    Former Employee - MoPro in Costa Mesa, CA

Pros

Great mission and cool people.

Cons

Very little structure and oversight.

"Great place to work!"

Former Employee - Closer in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Closer in San Diego, CA

I worked at MOGL full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The people were great, management does not micromanage, great compensation, during breaks we were able to play fuse ball, Mario kart, Fifa etc. If you had any problems on the phone; management is very quick to have training on it and give good ways to overcome problems in the pitch. Product worked like a charm since working for MOGL in 2014 the venues I signed up made over 1million dollars in revenue which makes this product easy to sell. Great company outings, made some great life time friends while working here.

Cons

Lost a lot in Mario Kart which is the biggest con. But other then that no cons while working for this business.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what your doing.

"My favorite job I've ever had"

Current Employee - Operations in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Operations in San Diego, CA

I have been working at MOGL full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Mogl is the first start-up company I’ve ever worked for, and I can’t put into words how awesome this experience has been so far. As the company continues to grow and innovate, the initiatives are constantly challenging and engaging. This job has been unlike any other jobs I've had in that I always feel I have independence on my day to day to prioritize tasks and problem solve the best ways to approach projects.

Pros:
    - Mogl cultivates and rewards self-growth. This isn’t a company with a step-by-step career path, instead you’re pioneering your own role. I truly feel like I’m building my piece of the whole company.

- Ability to develop and learn new skills – Especially tech skills.

- Schedule flexibility.

- Easy access to the exec team (How many jobs have you had where you talk to the CEO every day?)

- Compassionate management. The C-level executives all have open door policies, will make time just to talk, and truly care about the employees’ overall well-being.

- Strong focus on culture and having fun at your job. I find that sometimes I’m at the office late just because I started chatting with my co-workers and hanging out.

- Facilities: Beautiful location, gym, pool, sauna, Jacuzzi, tennis courts, basketball courts, Karl Straus on campus, etc.

Cons

The majority of the "Cons" are more for people who come from corporate and expect a corporate type job with regular raises, reviews, and upward mobility. Compensation in general is competitive and very fair, but since we're crossing that threshold into a late-stage startup, high level and C-level positions require strong prior executive experience and are generally hired from outside. There is constant advancement opportunities for entry level positions, and many entry-level team members have promoted into business development, operations, account management, etc. but there's little opportunity for advancement beyond mid-level.

We're also on the verge of outgrowing the office! I expect us to keep growing strong over the next year, and we'll eventually be sitting on top of each other. Good thing I like my co-workers. :-)

Advice to Management

Continue to push the team for feedback. No matter how many times the boss says you can tell them anything, many employees will still feel uncomfortable approaching important topics unless that comfort level is consistently nurtured and that trust is developed. The focus on employee feedback is always awesome, just keep it up.

"Excited for the future of this company"

I have been working at MOGL full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Mogl/Empyr is an excellent place to work. It’s not often you can legitimately be excited about what the company you work for is doing and where it’s heading, but that’s exactly what it’s like here. Being a startup, you can make a huge impact if you’re willing to hustle. It’s awesome to be able to see the things you do propel the growth of a company that’s not only doing something new, but doing something potentially huge. I’m noticing a lot of great changes as the company is rapidly evolving and can’t wait to see where it's heading. The leadership is trustworthy and cares about the well-being of employees - they always encourage education and open communication.

Cons

The only cons I can come up with are part of the nature of the startup. You'll sometimes have to wear multiple hats, be flexible, and prioritize your time well to get the job done. Some days you might have to work long hours. But that's part of the excitement and why working at a startup isn't like a "normal" job. You work hard for the potential of a greater reward and the satisfaction of creating something new. Since the company is evolving rapidly, work-load is will likely increase, but management is cognizant of this and are already planning to manage scale so it doesn't become a bottleneck.

Advice to Management

Keep making sure the culture is awesome so people are excited about coming to work each day.

"Innovative young company with a really fun environment"

Former Employee - Account Manager in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Account Manager in San Diego, CA

I worked at MOGL full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

A lot of opportunity to bring new ideas and implement them with my manager. Working around young smart people. Job empowerment and ability to take ownership of your brand. Company equity could be good if the company succeeds in the end.

Cons

A lot of constant change while the company was growing. Must be adaptable. High intensity can be stressful. Start-up environment worked long hours.

Advice to Management

Continue to listen to the feedback from the teams.

"This is not how all startups are..."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

I worked at MOGL (More than a year)

Pros

The people are fun
    you can do anything you want
    hours are flexible for some people
    work day doesnt start until 9 (later if youre management)
    budget for training
    casual dress
    awesome gym and pool
    great location (if you ignore bad traffic)
    CTO

Cons

"stocked kitchen" is filled with food fit for unhealthy, poor kids.
    the "parties" are super uncomfortable for those who actually attend
    the "volunteer" events are forced and execs never attend.
    there is a definite separation of those who work hard and those who don't.
    open office environment with loud music
    less than 15% of workforce are women
    the pay
    HR?
    the current management (or lack thereof)
    too many "core values" that no one believes in

Advice to Management

Stop making excuses as to why your top people keep leaving. It's embarrassing and makes your team trust you even less. Instead, fix the issue (hint: it starts at the top).
    set harder goals, that way when you miss then, which you always seem to do, you still land on respectable numbers.
    find real leaders again (and once you do...keep them!)