Marcum LLP Reviews

Updated Jul 30, 2020

3.4
Marcum LLP Chairman and CEO Jeffrey M. Weiner
Jeffrey M. Weiner
Pros
  • "Even during busy season the hours aren't bad at all(in 20 reviews)

• "Great people in the Boston Office (slightly stressful during busy season)(in 16 reviews)

Cons
  • "Busy season can be tough, but no different than any other public accounting firm(in 40 reviews)

• "Long hours expected with no appreciation(in 31 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Growing firm equals more opportunities!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Roseland, NJ

I have been working at Marcum LLP full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Beautiful location, stocked pantry for staff, perks during busy season, flexible schedules, lots of parking in covered lot. If you want to fast track your career this is the place for you, since public accounting has lots of turn over if you stick it out in a mid-size you can accelerate your career. Marcum pays for CPA review course and exam fees, Roseland even has a CPA study group to help you prepare. Managers are very accessible and interact well with staff.

Cons

Busy season hours are can be a drain, but isn't that the same at all public accounting firms?

March 9, 2020Co-CHRO

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback. We appreciate your input and are happy to hear you’re enjoying your experience here.

2. COVID-19

"Great place to work!"

Current Employee - Tax Supervisor in Melville, NY

I have been working at Marcum LLP full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

When the pandemic started, the firms first concern became everyone's safety and health. Marcum addressed the economic situation immediately with monthly CEO calls and separate office calls. The CEO was always very transparent in addressing the current state of the firm and the calls always resulted in employees feeling at ease during such a stressful time. Each call left additional time for any questions or concerns to be answered. Within the tax department, there is a tremendous opportunity for growth. The tax department is like a family. The people, from staff through partners, are incredible to work for and want you to learn as much as possible. Working at Marcum you will learn a tremendous amount in a very short period of time.

Cons

Busy season hours but this is a standard for any public accounting firm.

July 27, 2020Senior Specialist, Campus Recruiting

"Due diligence lacking"

Former Employee - Transfer Pricing Senior Associate in New York, NY

I worked at Marcum LLP full-time for less than a year

Pros

The air conditioning is nice.

Cons

Poor work life balance. Not enough due diligence all around. I was hired for niche transfer pricing work, where the transfer pricing work was practically non-existent. I reached out to HR and staffing to see if someone could train me on compliance work and my requests were ignored. I was ultimately fired because I was not billable, even though I asked for billable work.

Continue reading

"Don't come here, trust me!"

Current Employee - Staff Accountant in Washington, DC

I have been working at Marcum LLP full-time for more than a year

Pros

Met some good people here, that's it.

Cons

Have to eat hours to make terrible work life balance, even you will use your PTO to work overtime. The upper management cannot hear your voices or maybe they just cares the opinions from managers but not from staff. People are leaving, so just a warning don't come here unless you are pursing the miserable life.

August 3, 2020Senior Specialist, Campus Recruiting

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback. Sorry that you aren’t having a positive experience, we greatly appreciate you taking the time to provide us with your feedback. We encourage you to connect directly with your HR representative to provide more information so they can look further into this matter.

5. "Rapidly growing firm with good opportunities"

Former Employee - Assurance Manager in New Haven, CT

I worked at Marcum LLP full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Great people to work with, excellent opportunities for growth and good benefits. Also there is flexibility with hours which allows for work/life balance.

Cons

There are definitely cliques along with some favoritism depending on who you know.

June 15, 2020Senior Specialist, Campus Recruiting

"Pretty darn good for a CPA Firm"

Former Employee - Tax Accountant

I worked at Marcum LLP full-time

Pros

Work Life/Balance and no killer hours during busy season

Cons

No real national direction. Acts more like a bunch of firm with one ownership than a firm

June 9, 2020Senior Specialist, Campus Recruiting

7. COVID-19

"Do not consider this firm"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at Marcum LLP full-time for less than a year

Pros

some good people to work with

Cons

The firm has the poorest management. They don't offer any help and training after I joined. I have to learn everything by myself, even the basics in the audit software. They don't care about my career growth and no mentoring here like other public accounting firms. Some managers are good, others always disappear. They make me feel I'm so stupid when I ask questions. The clients they have could go bankrupt anytime. I have to waste 80% of the time on just cleaning their support. I was let go right after the client filled. They told me it's performance based but I wasn't done any performance review. They just don't want to pay severance package for the people working 20 hours a day for them. They keep lying to the employees and outside they don't cut any due to pandemic, so they can have a good record. So stupid and selfish firm.

July 21, 2020Senior Specialist, Campus Recruiting

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback. Sorry that you didn't have a positive experience , your feedback will help us to improve. Best of luck in your future endeavors.

8. "Job Review"

Current Employee - Staff Accountant in Philadelphia, PA

I have been working at Marcum LLP full-time for less than a year

Pros

Friendly welcoming-environment. A lot of qualified professionals.

Cons

Little work-life balance during busy season

June 9, 2020Senior Specialist, Campus Recruiting

"Total Disappointment"

Former Employee - Manager in Fort Lauderdale, FL

I worked at Marcum LLP full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

decent salary and benefits - that's about it

Cons

I am commenting on what I experienced. Employees in other locations may have different experiences: Upper management had no respect for the staff and were not held accountable for their actions (HR was ineffective) . It was common for staff to stay in the office until 1:00 - 2:00 in the morning. There was no "go to" person for technical guidance. Training was subpar. In summary, a total SWEATSHOP.

June 30, 2020Senior Specialist, Campus Recruiting

"Best company I have ever worked for"

Current Employee - Principal in Portland, ME

I have been working at Marcum LLP full-time for more than a year

Pros

Transitioned after 21 years at another firm that merged into a competitor which did not go well at all and was recruited away by Marcum. Great bidirectional communication; transparency, good compensation; clear expectations, everyone pulling in same direction.

Cons

Cross selling opportunities could be better received by co-workers in some cases

May 11, 2020Senior Specialist, Campus Recruiting