MarksNelson Reviews | Glassdoor

CEO

1. "Supervisor"

Current Employee - Supervisor
    Current Employee - Supervisor

Pros

Great people, learn a lot

Cons

One office, hard to get out of office

2. "Love this company"

Pros

Really great people here and enjoyed it immensely.

Cons

I wish that I could have kept working here but my internship ended.

3. "Experienced, Audit"

I have been working at MarksNelson full-time

Pros

Great people, culture, good work-life balance, competitive pay, opportunity to gain great experience

Cons

Long hours during busy season (comparable to any other firm). Projects often overlap, which can be challenging to manage at times.

Advice to Management

Management could consider improving incentive structure for employees based on performance.

5. "Very positive experience and glad to be here."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Kansas City, MO
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Kansas City, MO

I have been working at MarksNelson full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The firm actively promotes a positive culture. Employee input is requested and acted upon when feasibly possible. Fun activities for staff. Hard work is appreciated. Leadership is accessible and listens to ideas.

Cons

Hours are commensurate with other accounting firms but leadership provides as much food and fun as possible during the long hours.

Advice to Management

Keep listening to staff surveys and keep improving communication.

6. "Path to Success"

Current Employee - Anonymous in Kansas City, MO
    Current Employee - Anonymous in Kansas City, MO

I have been working at MarksNelson full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

To name a few of the many pros, compensation is very competitive, they are strong believers in work/life balance and are flexible and always wanting to work with you. They make a strong point to keep their employees happy, encourage personal growth from providing continuing education to board placement opportunities within the community. For those who find themselves in a situation where they would like to discuss with a superior, MarksNelson is a strong believer in the open door policy. Communication is key.

Cons

Because we have such strong team members throughout the firm, expectations are high. Sometimes the workload can get to be overwhelming but that's comparable to other firm's busy seasons. It's one of those those things that come with the territory of working at a public accounting firm.

Advice to Management

Keeping the morale up during busy season is important but I would say the efforts are already apparent.

7. "Overall good. Enjoy my job."

Current Employee - Mangage in Kansas City, MO
    Current Employee - Mangage in Kansas City, MO

I have been working at MarksNelson full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Firm wants to grow and be competitive and respected in the marketplace. They have a strategic plan and work it. I enjoy my job and feel that I am continually challenged to not only be excellent but do excellent work. I can see myself working here for several more years.

Cons

The culture is shifting. Sometimes there is still the ying-yang effect where people slip into the "not so good - old ways." This can sometimes be difficult to manage. Fortunately, these situations are less and less frequent.

Advice to Management

Remember the importance of communication, the message and the delivery.

8. "Very greedy managing partners with tunnel vision toward only their futures"

Former Employee - Manager in Overland Park, KS
    Former Employee - Manager in Overland Park, KS

Pros

Flexibility outside busy season, great employees as your peers, average salary for public accounting firm, good benefits, and reasonable leave. With improvements in management, this would be a great place to work.

Cons

Managment is very biased toward only a few staff that do no wrong and are promoted eventhough they are not experienced, nor capable of performing the position in which they are promoted. Partners distribute work load based upon bias to certain staff forcing other employees not to meet their chargeable hours, when chargeable goals are not met, employees are discharged to promote staff to which bias is shown. Management organization changes annually with no stability and no consistency.

Advice to Management

Treating all employees the same at each staff level, with communication of accurate information, (not sugar coated statements management thinks staff wants to hear), would greatly improve staff morale. Client assignments to the staff with the most experience in that client's area would help distribute work in a more effective and efficient manner. Listen to your staff instead of using your greed to run the firm.

9. "Great"

I have been working at MarksNelson full-time

Pros

Very employee oriented, growing fast

Cons

none at this time, thanks