Masterminds Advertising Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

3.3
Nancy Smith

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Very happy with decision to work here"

Current Employee - Digital Strategist in Philadelphia, PA
    Current Employee - Digital Strategist in Philadelphia, PA

I have been working at Masterminds Advertising full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The company focuses on delivering great results for our clients. Everyone has opportunities to contribute. The culture is great, very friendly. There is opportunity for advancement.

Cons

Late nights are expected at times (although they will feed you dinner). Clients come first.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work. Thanks for listening.

2. "Fun Place to Work & Learn"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Philadelphia, PA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Philadelphia, PA

I have been working at Masterminds Advertising full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- small company, opportunity to wear a lot of hats and learn a lot of different trades within the agency world
    - generous PTO
    - friendly environment

Cons

- sometimes have to travel between offices

3. "Great place to work and learn"

Pros

Excellent benefits, fair salary, generous PTO, very friendly, helpful and creative co-workers, modern office

Cons

None that I can think of

4. "Media Coordinator"

I worked at Masterminds Advertising full-time

Pros

Fun place to work.

Cons

To small of a company.

Advice to Management

Acquire small business to support the possible lose of your second largest client.

5. "My two cents"

Pros

I have to say I've was shocked by some of the negative reviews here. They don't describe the place I have been working for many years so I thought I ought to add my two cents. My experience is that you get out of it what you put in. I personally have gotten a lot out of it. I have been able to grow professionally and work on a wide variety of challenging projects. I've been sent to some great training seminars, but I've had to seek them out and ask to go. Management really cares about its employees and clients. The pay is competitive and they have always given me a pretty generous annual bonus. They understand that you have a life and allow people to work from home when needed. Sometimes you need to put in pretty long hours, but hey, this is advertising, it's kinda expected. The owners work as hard, or harder, than anyone. They have some new really talented people in senior positions that are making a positive mark on the company. Over the years, I have been able to continue learning from the people around me. The founding CEO recently stepped down after 30 years and passed the torch to the younger partners.

Cons

No one is going to hold your hand here. They expect you to have some initiative and be a self starter. If you need a lot of structure this probably isn't the place for you. There are sometimes communication breakdowns that can be frustrating.

Advice to Management

Delegate more responsibility and hold everyone more accountable.

6. "Friendly Culture/Get what you put in"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Philadelphia, PA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Philadelphia, PA

I worked at Masterminds Advertising full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Masterminds is a smaller agency with 30 years of experience and a strong reputation among their niche industries. They have a friendly, family like culture of support due to a large number of employees exceeding 10 years within the company. They are definitely trying to keep up with the times to provide a work experience and culture to attract stronger employees and clients. The Philly Office will hopefully continue to provide a window into new business. Benefits are fair with generous enough PTO/Sick Days. Accommodating of WFH when necessary. Dress code is very casual and nobody is a stickler for making sure you are in at 9am. Dinner provided when staying late, and beer provided anytime. Upper Management is very accessible and friendly, and if you make the effort to befriend your coworkers you will meet some of the nicer people in the industry. The company is small enough that you have the opportunity to make changes to process/culture/campaigns at any time if you can prove the value of your ideas. If you have a strong idea, there will be a way to implement it with minimal yellow tape, which is not a freedom you will have at a larger agency. This can be a great place for some and terrible for others, just depends on what you are looking for in employment.

Cons

I think their industry niche overall is behind the times when it comes to advertising strategy, so Masterminds is moving with the pace of their client demands. This can lead to a feeling that you aren't learning since you know there is more going on out in the industry that Masterminds/their clients aren't utilizing. At times a bit understaffed, resulting in long hours, especially on the creative side. Client work can become repetitive, but it pays the company bills.

Advice to Management

Invest in some strong/experienced leaders so that the revolving door of young employees has less of an effect on the company and those who do come in can learn and be an asset added as quickly as possible. Keep building company culture and provide more transparency into the overall business.

"Not the place for appreciation or good morale"

Current Employee - Anonymous in Philadelphia, PA
    Current Employee - Anonymous in Philadelphia, PA

I have been working at Masterminds Advertising full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Office is kid and dog friendly. Some young, talented artists. Strong media guy. Two locations with an office in Philadelphia. Casual atmosphere.

Cons

Top heavy with incompetent leadership. Constant revolving door. People are chewed up and spit out. Age discrimination. Lame clients. Same old tired work.

Advice to Management

Look at your own shortcomings. Five owners who trip over themselves like the keystone cops need to take classes and seminars in Personnel Management and relations.

"Not a positive experience"

Pros

It's a pretty okay name to say you worked for. Not the top in Philly but it's up there. The office is very cool. Interesting clients.

Cons

To be able to take the intern position you have to agree to 30 hours a week with a $75 weekly stipend. Even if you are a full time student, this is still the requirement. 30 hours a week is absurd for it not being a co-op program or getting a decent stipend or even to have period while being in school. That is almost full time. It's insane. The office atmosphere has no personality. I don't feel like I heard anyone speak, I felt awkward even making noise breathing there. The girls (mainly in the social media department) are very "mean girls" like and also have very bland/dry personalities. You get a taste of projects but essentially you're doing the bottom work all day - which is totally fine and normal for an internship but when it's impossible to build a relationship with these people the whole experience is pointless. It's not TERRIBLE but I just don't think it was worth it and if I knew then what I know now, I would have taken a different internship I was offered. Keep looking.

Advice to Management

Get a personality

"A company that presents itself as being innovative but is not..."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Egg Harbor Township, NJ
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Egg Harbor Township, NJ

Pros

*Training was sufficient
    *A nice office
    *Intelligent employees

Cons

*Major layoffs
    *Many of the employees here were unfriendly
    *Hard to get time off
    *Some employees were very overworked whereas others had nothing to do
    *Stuck in their ways!
    *Old systems and old thinking

10. "Great place to be a part of some award-winning work"

Former Employee - Copywriter in Egg Harbor Township, NJ
    Former Employee - Copywriter in Egg Harbor Township, NJ

I worked at Masterminds Advertising full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Masterminds is a great place to really build a book as a designer or writer, especially when you are starting out. I started out as an intern there and got to work on a real campaign that helped me land a job and write copy for an ADDY award-winning campaign.

You will work hard here, but the people there make it fun and as I said, you will get to really contribute and have your say, which is not something bigger agencies will deliver. The people are great and talented. I looked forward to going to work just about every day.

Cons

Like most agencies I've worked at, as creatives you have to fight for the ideas you believe in.

You will work long hours, but that's also common in the industry. You'll get free dinner and booze if you work late.